Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oxxidation posted:

among other things nier:a is an interesting case study in how the slightest degree of non-conventional game design makes some people's brains absolutely crumble

i saw plenty of it with the prologue but now i get an example of somebody taking grievous offense at the concept of multiple endings

Nailed it.

Waltzing Along posted:

This is exactly why I never posted my feelings about the game here. I got the E ending, ejected the disk immediately after, and will never play again. I can see why others enjoyed it so much. I can also see why people don't. And I agree with Fix that stopping at C is a good place to stop if you aren't emotionally invested.

That's not what happened here. Fix implied that they were emotionally invested in the game enough to decide that the ending they did get was somehow sacred and should not be tampered with. And the eyes of the world went :rolleyes:

But whatever.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I wish i could play more games i disliked for 40 plus hours

I've done it, and I've been rightfully mocked for it in this space. :colbert:

veni veni veni posted:

It did not crumble my brain personally, but unconventional does not automatically equal good.

in this case it does tho because the game's name has it built in

veni veni veni posted:

I’d have liked Nier more if it was like 8 hours long without all the repetitive stuff. Just completely resented having to play 3/4th of the game twice in a row.

Demonstrably 1/8. And I know you well enough to say that you've spent time in much dumber ways and just laughed it off.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am OK with someone saying they're going to stop playing a game and that it didn't work for them, no matter how nonsensical it may seem to me to stop at that point, because games are a wide landscape and time is fleeting.

It only really bothers me when people try to dissuade others from even starting based on partial information or even misinformation, because then you're working to sabotage other people

I totally agree with this.

Bust Rodd posted:

In earnest more people should play it if only because Shadow of the Colossus is so amazing it drove a mild-mannered salaryman to go on and create Dark Souls/Bloodborne/Sekiro.

Like really try to imagine the unbelievable impact Dark Souls has had on video games over the last decade, and then realize that you can directly attribute all of that to Shadow of the Colossus.

That was ICO, but the point stands. A single game influenced said 30-something cubicle worker in digital finance or some poo poo to quit his job and work his way through the ranks to become the single most broadly influential person in the last decade of videogames.

haveblue posted:

No, it's the exact same game except made with 2018 quality assets. It's the Gus Van Sant Psycho of video games.

Not the best comparison.

More like the The Passion of Joan of Arc on DVD vs all known prints being lost to the ravages of WW2, of videogames. Actually, now that I think about it, maybe that would actually be Panzer Dragoon Saga. :shrug:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Death Stranding is the best looking game on PS4, it looks absolutely phenomenal for the hardware it's running on

It's such an incredibly polished game. I'd almost say its presentation is verging on overstuffed/overcompensating. Even moreso, the sound design is gobsmacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

nitsuga posted:

Any recommendations on local multiplayer games? It looks like I'll be getting a PS4 Slim, and I'm curious what might be fun to play with some friends. Also, looking for games for a not-so-serious gamer with a good story too. For what it's worth the console I'm getting did come with:

Battlefront
Battlefront II
Bloodborne
Dark Souls III
Godzilla
NBA2K19
Titanfall 2

Diablo 3 and the better Lego games are fun.

tensai
May 8, 2007

Just trying to keep my boyfriend away from that redheaded harlot.
Man, Judgment was going to be my favorite of the Yakuzas, but I'm nearing the end and the constant street gang takeovers on top of the fighting system that I actively dislike is causing me to just plow through the story because I'm getting jumped every 2 blocks when the gangs come out.

I need a yakuza game where you don't have to fight...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

nitsuga posted:

Any recommendations on local multiplayer games? It looks like I'll be getting a PS4 Slim, and I'm curious what might be fun to play with some friends. Also, looking for games for a not-so-serious gamer with a good story too. For what it's worth the console I'm getting did come with:

Battlefront
Battlefront II
Bloodborne
Dark Souls III
Godzilla
NBA2K19
Titanfall 2

Do you like beat-em-ups? There's Double Dragon IV available for fairly cheap, Mother Russia is really good, and I think a new Streets of Rage is coming out this year.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Demonstrably 1/8. And I know you well enough to say that you've spent time in much dumber ways and just laughed it off.

Dumber ways? Yes probably, but that was by my own choice and not something games made me slog through to see it through. By my estimate, the second route in N:A is about 75% of the same content as the first route, amounting to doing around 5 hours of the exact same content that I’ve literally just played through that I had no interest in playing again. I didn’t find it novel and it ultimately made me think way less of the game. Just felt like extreme padding to me that made me less engaged in everything that came after it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Dumber ways? Yes probably, but that was by my own choice and not something games made me slog through to see it through. By my estimate, the second route in N:A is about 75% of the same content as the first route, amounting to doing around 5 hours of the exact same content that I’ve literally just played through that I had no interest in playing again. I didn’t find it novel and it ultimately made me think way less of the game. Just felt like extreme padding to me that made me less engaged in everything that came after it.

In a 40 hour game 5 hours would be 1/8. Route B is about 25% of the total length of the first half of the game. It's truncated and goes by quickly.

It was also your own choice to continue to play.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Morpheus posted:

It's a Sonic game where you play as your own Sonic OC do not steal.

Yeah it's pretty great.

Fine its okay at best because its still a Sonic game and it actually kind is a gritty Sonic game in parts but still, Sonic game. Making the worst best looking Deviant Art level design of a Sonic character can be funny though.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah it's pretty great.

Fine its okay at best because its still a Sonic game and it actually kind is a gritty Sonic game in parts but still, Sonic game. Making the worst best looking Deviant Art level design of a Sonic character can be funny though.

Nothing you can do can beat Infinite on the DA levels, though.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Finally I can be cold steel the hedgehog. Nothing personnel.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I still don’t like the art direction of the SotC remake

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The PS3 remaster also owns big time.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

That's not what happened here. Fix implied that they were emotionally invested in the game enough to decide that the ending they did get was somehow sacred and should not be tampered with. And the eyes of the world went :rolleyes:

Christ, you're insufferable.

For what it's worth though, I feel like I was right. For some reason I let the lot of you badger me into playing through a credits shooting sequence not only once, but twice (to make sure that I wasn't doing it wrong when deciding to do the message at the end) and I gotta say that I was in a happier place merely making my selection and enjoying the end of the story than I was in a bullet hell with Squeenix's Business division.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

Fix posted:

For what it's worth though, I feel like I was right. For some reason I let the lot of you badger me into playing through a credits shooting sequence not only once, but twice (to make sure that I wasn't doing it wrong when deciding to do the message at the end) and I gotta say that I was in a happier place merely making my selection and enjoying the end of the story than I was in a bullet hell with Squeenix's Business division.

Thank you for playing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

In a 40 hour game 5 hours would be 1/8. Route B is about 25% of the total length of the first half of the game. It's truncated and goes by quickly.

It was also your own choice to continue to play.

I finished all of the main endings in about 25 hours. And what I meant to say is 3/4ths of route A not the entire game. 5 hours is a lot to ask when you have absolutely no interest in replaying all of that stuff.

And yes of course I chose to play it. I played it cause I wanted to know what happened and slogged through 5 hours of repeat content to see that, which was the whole point of my post.

The thing that blows me away is not that people accept and embrace things that might be polarizing in a game they really love. I think everyone does that. It’s the total inability to recognize that other people don’t like things about it or just flat out don’t like it, even though there is a laundry list of logical things to dislike about it that puts a bunch of people off the game.

Edit: and since I feel like I always need to clarify this itt,I actually like the game. Just to not the absolutely evangelical degree some people seem to. I think it’s a majorly flawed game that still has a lot to like.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 27, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Fix posted:

You hadn’t finished the story before though that’s the point

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I don't think I will like SotC?

I don't like hunting in games and feel bad for the animals. I generally feel the same about killing any sort of creature who didn't have "have it coming".

Aren't the Colossus like endangered species that your killing off for fun? Kind of like something that Trump Jr. would do? or is there a good reason for killing them?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Grey posted:

I don't like hunting in games and feel bad for the animals. I generally feel the same about killing any sort of creature who didn't have "have it coming".

Aren't the Colossus like endangered species that your killing off for fun? Kind of like something that Trump Jr. would do? or is there a good reason for killing them?

Just play it and find out. There’s more nuance than trump jr. and no you are not killing them for fun. I don’t know why you’d even come to that conclusion lol.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

The Grey posted:

that's sort of the spoiler for the game, but if that stuff affects you deeply it'll bum you right the gently caress out

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Grey posted:

It's definitely and intentionally an emotionally affecting game. I don't think any more can be said without spoiling something.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Laughing so much at the idea of SotC being a safari hunting game where Wander is laughing as he kills the colossi

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Grey posted:

You're going to love Shadow of the Colossus.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Escobarbarian posted:

Laughing so much at the idea of SotC being a safari hunting game where Wander is laughing as he kills the colossi

Hunt down and kill the colossi, cut them into pieces, wear the pieces as a hat. Colossus Hunter

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fix posted:

For what it's worth though, I feel like I was right.

We know.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

haveblue posted:

Hunt down and kill the colossi, cut them into pieces, wear the pieces as a hat. Colossus Hunter

lol

"you know how to get rid of colossi? you gotta shave one testicle, all the colossi go over to the other testicle, then you gotta light the hair on fire on that one...when they all go scurrying out you take an ice pick and you fuckin stab every single last one of them!" :blastu:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Lobok posted:

Do you like beat-em-ups? There's Double Dragon IV available for fairly cheap, Mother Russia is really good, and I think a new Streets of Rage is coming out this year.

theres a kunio kun and double dragon collection thats just come out too. i know those are all really old games so the price might turn people off but also several of those kunio kun games never came out in america.

it has crash n the boys! hell yeah!!!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Fix posted:

I decided to see what Nier: Automata means when translated from Japanese into English. It turns out that Nier is the impolite way to speak of your own farts. And Automata means to take big hearty whiffs. It certainly explained a lot.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The colossi in SOTC are the exact same deal as the robots in Near: Automaton :

Scum who deserve to die :blastu:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

veni veni veni posted:

Edit: and since I feel like I always need to clarify this itt,I actually like the game. Just to not the absolutely evangelical degree some people seem to. I think it’s a majorly flawed game that still has a lot to like.

:same:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The Grey posted:

You are describing the exact narrative experience of the game. There is basically no story in SotC, but what little story exists is basically this.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The colossi in SOTC are the exact same deal as the robots in Near: Automaton :

Scum who deserve to die :blastu:

The theme of SotC is "rip and tear"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wish I could summon goons in SOTC so we could slaughter those evil beasts quicker :negative:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It is still pretty strange that the new remake of SotC added a photo mode where you pose with the carcasses of each colossi and select different dumb faces Wanderer to make and upload them to get rated by the community.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Grey posted:

You are killing Collosi because some mysterious voice/presence says it will resurrect your dead waifu if you harness their essences. Some Collosi are peaceful, some are aggressive. There are also some lizards you can eat to increase your stamina.

There is nothing else to fight or kill in the game. Killing Collosi is not fun at all. It's hard work. Every battle is a struggle.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Today’s focused target is colossus 13. Kill it for 100 Icokens!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

It is still pretty strange that the new remake of SotC added a photo mode where you pose with the carcasses of the each colossi and select different dumb faces Wanderer to make and upload them to get rated by the community.

Bluepoint know what the fans want. When they ported Metal Gear Solid 2 to the Vita, they replaced all the gameplay with pre-rendered cutscenes so that you could experience the entirety of the story while playing Picross on 3DS

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ico remaster when?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

It is canon that Wander will sit on a colossus's corpse and fantasize about killing it over and over

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Ico remaster when?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

The Grey posted:

some of the colossi move and act like animals but they they were built, not born

there's still a pervasive melancholy during your hunt for them, because they're all completely unique beings and pose absolutely no threat to anyone, but the act of killing them is more like smashing a piece of irreplaceable art than slaughtering an endangered species