Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

TurnipFritter posted:

RIP Shampoodle

Gonna miss her. There is something nice about actively going out and getting your hair done by a poodle asking you vague questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Idia posted:

Gonna miss her. There is something nice about actively going out and getting your hair done by a poodle asking you vague questions.

not to sound like i'm bemoaning the casualization of animal crossing because (A) just having a normal character creator is probably best for everyone and (B) lol at the concept of the casualization of animal crossing, but i will kind of miss the questionnaire format for stuff like that, because it was v. charming.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

They might have a pseudo-randomizer in the form of a questionnaire. At least, I hope they do.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

TurnipFritter posted:

not to sound like i'm bemoaning the casualization of animal crossing because (A) just having a normal character creator is probably best for everyone and (B) lol at the concept of the casualization of animal crossing, but i will kind of miss the questionnaire format for stuff like that, because it was v. charming.

It was certainly charming but I didn't enjoy googling a spreadsheet to get the haircut I wanted each time. It would be fun if we got both, with more available and potentially fancier options at Shampoodle

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How much is a raw official AC Amiibo card? I plan on just maknig my own but just out of curiosity I checked on AliExpress and even bootlegs are upwards of 3 dollars _per card!!_

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pixeltendo posted:

There is that more hairstyle option you get from nook miles so there's definitely gonna be more.

Nook Miles seem like they're designed for the people who complain that they don't know what to do when they play Animal Crossing. A set of tasks with clearly defined rewards. very gamey.

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

TurnipFritter posted:

The vague questionnaires are fun. My ideal would be to have the questions, then you get to see what it would look it and go oh no, that's not what I want, then it just gives you the regular specific choices.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Khanstant posted:

How much is a raw official AC Amiibo card? I plan on just maknig my own but just out of curiosity I checked on AliExpress and even bootlegs are upwards of 3 dollars _per card!!_

I’d wait to see if they start reprinting the card given they are reprinting them in Japan.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gripweed posted:

Nook Miles seem like they're designed for the people who complain that they don't know what to do when they play Animal Crossing. A set of tasks with clearly defined rewards. very gamey.
They're loving great for me, cause I play Animal Crossing as tryhard as I play everything else and that's a lovely little bunch of dopamine rushes all laid out for me in a row.

(I am definitely not the target market for AC but I sure as gently caress love it)

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Tell me more about making your own!

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
You get blank nfc tags and use a phone app called tagmo to write the backups you made of amiibo you legally own to them

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Asciana posted:

Tell me more about making your own!

SeXReX posted:

You get blank nfc tags and use a phone app called tagmo to write the backups you made of amiibo you legally own to them

If you don't have an android phone you need to build something like an amiibomb which requires a minimal amount of soldering, but achieves the same goal.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Chronicler of Dongs posted:

a pompadour better be available as a choice and not just through wearing the regent wig again

I second that, the regent wig was my all time favorite along with the triangle sunglasses. Hoping to rock that style again.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

The Japanese packs are currently 330 yen for 3 cards, so roughly $1 per card. That doesn't account for anything like the rarity of any specific card, though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

RIP Rover, Harriet, and Digby. They were the real ones.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
In the maps we've seen are there cliffs where the grass ends and the beach begins? I want to make a boardwalk with shops lined up right on the edge of the grass where the beach begins and cliffs here will screw this up.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

Books On Tape posted:

In the maps we've seen are there cliffs where the grass ends and the beach begins? I want to make a boardwalk with shops lined up right on the edge of the grass where the beach begins and cliffs here will screw this up.

There is a lighthouse set up on a cliff near a beach let me see if I can find a picture

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

The land angles near the ocean look like they've been edited, so maybe that's possible? This may be on the rocky area of the beach

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So with the Coronavirus epidemic, do you all think we'll see a delay with New Horizons, or is it too late for it?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Willo567 posted:

So with the Coronavirus epidemic, do you all think we'll see a delay with New Horizons, or is it too late for it?

At this point the game has probably gone gold. I don’t think there’s anything that could delay it unless the ports completely shut down.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

hopeandjoy posted:

At this point the game has probably gone gold. I don’t think there’s anything that could delay it unless the ports completely shut down.

We just have to hope that the guy who flips the switch at Nintendo on the 20th hasn't turned into a zombie yet.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

RIP Rover, Harriet, and Digby. They were the real ones.

If you have any of their cards/figurines and they are/become compatible you could just invite one of them every day to the campsite and that way they'll technically always be there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nemo2342 posted:

The Japanese packs are currently 330 yen for 3 cards, so roughly $1 per card. That doesn't account for anything like the rarity of any specific card, though.

Oh dang, I figured it was sort of like trading cards and you'd get like a dozen or so in a pack. I guess in Nintendo's mind they are selling a whole 20 dollar toy for just a dollar, so it must hurt them.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Viewtiful Jew posted:

If you have any of their cards/figurines and they are/become compatible you could just invite one of them every day to the campsite and that way they'll technically always be there.

Nope, gonna use their cards to get their posters and make a memorial.

RIP

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1232804506557132800?s=20

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://hitokuivillage.tumblr.com/

Looking back over these towns makes me hope that some sort of Dream Suite functionality is eventually implemented if it's not already in the release next month.

Some towns could become downright inspired under the right circumstances.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hold up. You can catch anchovies and did you see the anchovy exhibit in the museum? There's 50 at least. Maybe we have to catch and donate 50.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Books On Tape posted:

You mean like a situation where it goes straight from grass to beach basically? Yes. That's the default now. This isn't like New Leaf where all beaches have cliffs next to them. The southern part of the island is generally just above sea level (just a little bump up from the beach), and there are only cliffs up in the north.

If you mean grass right up to the ocean, there is one rare spot on every island where that happens, it looks like.

vanisher posted:

The land angles near the ocean look like they've been edited, so maybe that's possible? This may be on the rocky area of the beach
This looks like it might be on that one grassy cape on the island where the grass naturally goes up to the ocean. The cliffs appear artificial, but the land around it jutting into the ocean could be natural, from what we've seen.

Looking more closely at this... it's kinda ugly. I know they're going for a dramatic rock outcrop or something, but it looks weird all square like that. And it'll look even weirder when it's not snowing and it's got a green ring around the top.

That's one thing I can see frustrating people- looks like paths don't go to the edge of tiles. They have to be surrounded by a fringe of grass. So if you wanted to extend your beach and put sand further inland, there would still be a green fringe between your artificial beach and the natural one. And there will be situations like this where you want to cover the top of a cliff, but it'll still have a green border no matter what you do.

Obviously this is not the end of the world, and it's amazing that we have the feature at all, but I can see that being an issue for some people.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I don't know if any of y'all care about the bugs 'n fish as much as I do but I legit teared up when I saw how incredible the museum looks

I just can't wait to catch bugs

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Bleck posted:

I don't know if any of y'all care about the bugs 'n fish as much as I do but I legit teared up when I saw how incredible the museum looks

i wonder about the art gallery. Redd returns to take your money.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Bleck posted:

One of the notes I took during the Direct was “holy poo poo, look at that beetle!”

Areola Grande
Jan 2, 2015

it's a free country u pervs
I can't wait to spot fake art

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I can’t wait to study art appreciation so I can spot the fake art in the video game.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

runchild posted:

One of the notes I took during the Direct was “holy poo poo, look at that beetle!”

:yeah:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Filling up the museum is my favorite Animal Crossing activity. I'm so excited about how amazing the museum in New Horizons looks.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

prepuce repurposed posted:

I can't wait to spot fake art

I hope finger guns kabuki man and sassy boy return.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The King Kamehameha statue needs to come back.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Bleck posted:

It legit looks amazing, a real "glo up" as the kids say.

God, I remember playing New Leaf and having a friend drag me to the museum in my town and me being shocked at how extensive it was, because I had only ever poked my head into the initial rooms of each wing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i only ever finished the art gallery in the original. hoping to fill this one up with the help of goons as well as my friends and family who are all getting this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

https://twitter.com/malloryloar/status/1232839498867847169?s=21