Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

alphabettitouretti posted:

Everyone laughed at my toothbrush tache but they won't be laughing anymore, not with all the coughing they'll be doing.

Was Boris Johnson there or is it another thing ruined by brexit?

virus doesn't transfer to swine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I would recommend plumbers glue. You can use it to seal up nasty cuts so I can’t see why it wouldn’t work to seal yourself up like a plastic bag so you can inflate yourself like a balloon and float away from this hell world

I still have friends and loved ones on this plane, so seems like the inflating thing can kind of be a last ditch maneuver in case the other methods fail. Redundancy in systems is always good, according to the sci fi television shows i like to watch

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/mmcauliff/status/1232789512490799104

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

LanceHunter posted:

Apparently Hitler had the toothbrush mustache because he used to have a bigger one but had to cut off the sides so it would fit inside a gas mask.

Aw man, the classic dilemma

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Does it really even matter? Most of the people alive will have the antibodies anyway by the time they actually come up with a vaccine.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Relayer posted:

Aw man, the classic dilemma

the cornavirus can tear this beard from my cold, dead... face

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Italy news.
Today the usual covid press meeting didn't happen because the governor of Lombardy is in auto quarantine, one of his staff members that deals with journalists got the badflu

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 26, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Nurge posted:

Does it really even matter? Most of the people alive will have the antibodies anyway by the time they actually come up with a vaccine.

telling this to my wife with an autoimmune condition and laughing hysterically and just saying "owned" over and over again as she leaves me

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

poo poo, that means David Cameron is safe too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nurge posted:

Sure, no kids will be born in the next year, right?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

What happened in Italy, was there some church or flea market superexposure event?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Sure, no kids will be born in the next year, right?

drat I hope not.

e: Realtalk though herd immunity should protect new children for a couple of decades I'd guess since this is going to hit pretty much every living human. To the guy with the autoimmune wife well yeah that's a good point. I think the vaccine should be affordable too, I just don't think it's going to be a relevant thing for most people.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 27, 2020

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Zwabu posted:

What happened in Italy, was there some church or flea market superexposure event?

My theory is a few super spreaders inside a very close knit group of wealthy people.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

And we have 7 new cases in Germany as of Tuesday. One guy was infected by another because they had contact at a carnival celebration apparently. Judging by the average number of people crowded at carnival dos we are probably hosed...

And up to 10. One of which is a kindergarden teacher. Let's hope she didn't work lately...

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
my current distance to several known infected, wish me luck, goons

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 23, 2021

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Imagine doing even a single bit of stocking up for this. We're all going to get it, just ride it out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nurge posted:

e: Realtalk though herd immunity should protect new children for a couple of decades I'd guess since this is going to hit pretty much every living human.

Lol no.

I'm a microbiology professor fwiw

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Tbf it is less about getting infected and the apocalypse and more about compensating for realistic short term consequences such as reduced supermarket stocks or inability to go shopping.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I'm going shopping in a full face mask.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Lol no.

Then why are you so wrong?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Hopper posted:

Tbf it is less about getting infected and the apocalypse and more about compensating for realistic short term consequences such as reduced supermarket stocks or inability to go shopping.

Yeah this is where I'm at with it, too. That way I don't have to leave the house when it hits and if I'm lucky, doom eternal and animal crossing will still ship on time so I can treat it like a staycation in the event that my work gets overly cautious and shuts down for the time being, or my area gets quarantined.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Lol Hell will send its deadliest foe against the doom marine. Hell flu. Try punching that.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

That Works posted:

Lol no.

drat they'll let anybody in these days.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Pictured: Doomguy checking for the N95 labelling.

Sooo, does the French anti-mask law cover medical masks?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

sincx posted:

Kids are basically immune from SARS 2 somehow.

Mother Earth be like "OK Boomer"

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

us retail workers are hosed huh

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Nurge posted:

Then why are you so wrong?

Why should herd immunity work on the corona flu if it doesn't work on the normal flu?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I’m going to sell personal force field generators for $2k a pop.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Shaocaholica posted:

I’m going to sell personal force field generators for $2k a pop.

Sure, I'll take a copy of the D&D Dungeon Masters Guide, please.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

My mate was in one of those infected towns in Italy over the weekend and flew home literally an hour before they quarantined. He’s now self-quarantined in his flat for 2 weeks but says he called the NHS number as advised but they don’t seem to be bothered at all. Which is concerning because you’d think a person in his position they’d want to check on

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Gonna cross post this to both threads because it's informative and funny. So as has been said earlier upthread by others, you can get it again - IMMEDIATELY. And apparently the second time is worse, with higher case fatality rates etc. The latter hasn't been confirmed outside of China yet, but the former now has been confirmed in Japan in a tour guide woman that works in Osaka.

Here's the article, it's in Japanese but I guess you can use google translate if you don't trust me.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20200227/k10012303391000.html

"Rough Translation posted:

Last year December: First infection
This year January: Released from hospital
6th February: Checked to be Okay
19th February: complained of throat pain, fever, pain in the lungs
Yesterday: confirmed to have it again

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

AlmightyBob posted:

us retail workers are hosed huh

Yes.

But it remains to be seen whether the loving is worse than the usual baseline of loving that retail workers get every day.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

Yes.

But it remains to be seen whether the loving is worse than the usual baseline of loving that retail workers get every day.

overtime for everyone at the survival ration store right now

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Here's a link from Reuters stating a similar scenario, from earlier - that time within China:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...dium=trueAnthem

Also here's the NHK link in English so you don't have to take my word for it:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200227_12/

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
What a great time for our world to become destabilized. Portfolio lost quite a bit of gains this week.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

VomitOnLino posted:

Gonna cross post this to both threads because it's informative and funny. So as has been said earlier upthread by others, you can get it again - IMMEDIATELY. And apparently the second time is worse, with higher case fatality rates etc. The latter hasn't been confirmed outside of China yet, but the former now has been confirmed in Japan in a tour guide woman that works in Osaka.

Here's the article, it's in Japanese but I guess you can use google translate if you don't trust me.
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20200227/k10012303391000.html

The article itself says that as she was at home the entire time and did not have contact with others, it seems more likely that her body just didn't produce enough antibodies and it flared up again after once being reduced enough that it gave a negative test once.

Certainly concerning that this could be a potentially be common occurrence but there's yet to be real proof that you can really be totally cured then get it again. Could be problematic if the only reliable way to be finally cured is to keep hospitalized/closely monitor for a notable period even after the first negative test, as that would be quite the drain on resources, and also means that people who were once "cured" could maybe then unwittingly continue to spread.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nurge posted:

e: Realtalk though herd immunity should protect new children for a couple of decades I'd guess since this is going to hit pretty much every living human.

you need to keep immunizing new herd members in order for herd immunity to remain effective. Most adults are immune to measles but that hasn't prevented measles outbreaks from occurring from unvaccinated kids catching it and spreading it to each other

Like your line of thinking would suggest that chickenpox outbreaks should only occur every couple of decades, which is clearly wrong

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fried Watermelon posted:

Nah pretty sure cops and capitalists can get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Someone create a shrink ray so I can go all microscopic and kick coronavirus-19 right in the dick.