Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

euphronius posted:

I have the dune ebook if you want me to quote something.
I have them too. Dune Encyclopedia, to my knowledge, has never been released as an OCR'd ebook, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Oh the encyclopedia. I misunderstood.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I think it's mentioned that the Sisterhood and maybe a few others know where Earth is (because of their engrammed memories) but that it's no longer life-sustaining. And yeah, what D. Ebdrup said, the year of Dune I always thought to be somewhere about 20,000 years from now. Far enough that there'd be all sorts of crazy changes to how we do things, but close enough that the characters are still recognizably human.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

D. Ebdrup posted:

I have them too. Dune Encyclopedia, to my knowledge, has never been released as an OCR'd ebook, though?

I have the OCR's version (allegedly)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There was a house built where there wasn't yet an official road, and someone at the town records office wrote NOROAD on the map where their dirt path was and over time NOROAD became official.

Not "No Road". NOROAD.

This is a dumb naming thing but also a dumb Dune thing because of No-ships and whatnot

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Anne Frank Funk posted:

I have the OCR's version (allegedly)
Well I definitely don't want you to PM me with them, then! Please?

The Bloop posted:

There was a house built where there wasn't yet an official road, and someone at the town records office wrote NOROAD on the map where their dirt path was and over time NOROAD became official.

Not "No Road". NOROAD.

This is a dumb naming thing but also a dumb Dune thing because of No-ships and whatnot
That reminds me, I was always super curious about the no-technology used by Harkonnens even before Paul is born, Leto II for his journals, and which is then only seemingly known about publicly several thousand years later.
Presumably it's of Ixian origin, since they use one to breed Hwi Noree?
Frank describes it as a form of mimicry so it's not bizarre that it would be hard to discover for that long, but it's the sort of plot device that has enough uses that it's hard to imagine it not being used again.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 26, 2020

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

Not "No Road". NOROAD.

The cops can't see you if you ride the NOROAD.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Oh, I forgot. Dune Encyclopedia makes it clear that Dune is set in an alternative history where the Roman Empire is described as conquering the entire known world, even China.

Also :tipshat: to Anne Frank Funk for not doing what I said not to.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

D. Ebdrup posted:

Oh, I forgot. Dune Encyclopedia makes it clear that Dune is set in an alternative history where the Roman Empire is described as conquering the entire known world, even China.

Hang on, what!? I need more information.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

This thread rules.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

Hang on, what!? I need more information.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Feb 26, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I don’t think it’s literally an alternate history as much as things being distorted over the decamillenia. There’s mentions of “the house of Washington” using atom bombs in a “provincial conflict” elsewhere.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t think it’s literally an alternate history as much as things being distorted over the decamillenia. There’s mentions of “the house of Washington” using atom bombs in a “provincial conflict” elsewhere.
Roman Empire conquering the known world including China seems pretty alternative history to me.
Given that the encyclopedia exists in-universe during the Famine Times/Scattering(?) and is compiled after Leto IIs death, and considering how fixated he was on getting history accurate, I don't think it'd be that distorted?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Yeah the point that is that “modern” history has been misinterpreted as being a simple continuation of the Roman Empire. (There’s also at least one error in the timeline, the “Battle of Englichannel” should be 357 years before the first atomic strike, not 257).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

D. Ebdrup posted:

Roman Empire conquering the known world including China seems pretty alternative history to me.

It says “except for China” which “resists until 14440” which maps to China being divvied up in the 1800’s.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

skasion posted:

Yeah the point that is that “modern” history has been misinterpreted as being a simple continuation of the Roman Empire. (There’s also at least one error in the timeline, the “Battle of Englichannel” should be 357 years before the first atomic strike, not 257).
I get that, my point is that in this alternative history, "modern" history was a continuation of the Roman Empire and that that changed remarkably fewer things than one would expect; it's part of what makes it science fiction rather than fantasy, in a way.

It says “except for China” which “resists until 14440” which maps to China being divvied up in the 1800’s.
China being divvied up as a result of the Roman Empire taken over, is my point.

It also makes the whole "Atreides descended from ancient civilizations" that Paul and/or Leto II mentions a lot more believable, if you ask me.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 26, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It’s a reference to the (historical) domination of China by European powers starting in the 19th century. Like the other stuff on the timeline up to 1945, you’re supposed to recognize actual events that future historians have a hilariously out-of-whack interpretation of, because they themselves are pushing the ideology that their own empire is the latest in a great chain of imperial being stretching back to Alexander the Great.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

D. Ebdrup posted:

Given that the encyclopedia exists in-universe during the Famine Times/Scattering(?) and is compiled after Leto IIs death, and considering how fixated he was on getting history accurate, I don't think it'd be that distorted?

It was published nearly 2000 years after Leto's death, by its own timeline, which is plenty of time for history to get distorted, especially after events called THE FAMINE TIMES and THE SCATTERING

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

D. Ebdrup posted:

I get that, my point is that in this alternative history, "modern" history was a continuation of the Roman Empire and that that changed remarkably fewer things than one would expect; it's part of what makes it science fiction rather than fantasy, in a way.

China being divvied up as a result of the Roman Empire taken over, is my point.

It also makes the whole "Atreides descended from ancient civilizations" that Paul and/or Leto II mentions a lot more believable, if you ask me.

Yeah this is definitely normal history, the joke is it's seen through a western lens. Rome was the center of the world, China was somewhere else but Rome doesn't know nor care. An eastern view may have the Middle Kingdom discussing selling their silk through intermediaries and vague mention of a roman kingdom.. As mentioned you can track normal history through the "seat of power" from the defeat of the Spanish Armada to WWII. It's not that there was a planetwide empire, but that's the best they can develop and explain in their current context after ten thousand years of history.

Kind of like how schoolchildren today get a simplified view of history. You learn "Americans won WW2" then look at where the Germans sent most of their army. The American campaign was a drop in the bucket compared to Russia by scale. We don't know thing even a few thousand years ago like the sea peoples, I can't imagine the drift with a ten times larger scale

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

^^^^^Edit: the sea peoples weren't a unified entity, and are most likely an artefact of Egyptians freaking out about people who could attack the Nile with impunity from the sea, where they had previously only faced terrestrial enemies. They didn't single handedly cause the Bronze Age 'collapse', and it's an idea that needs to die.

skasion posted:

It’s a reference to the (historical) domination of China by European powers starting in the 19th century. Like the other stuff on the timeline up to 1945, you’re supposed to recognize actual events that future historians have a hilariously out-of-whack interpretation of, because they themselves are pushing the ideology that their own empire is the latest in a great chain of imperial being stretching back to Alexander the Great.

Yeah it's this, as an in-universe book.

Vlex fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 26, 2020

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Also pfft referenced the puny Macedonian empire and not the xiongnu empire or any of the caliphates.

Worse, no mention at all of the finno-korean hyper war.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

Vlex posted:

^^^^^Edit: the sea peoples weren't a unified entity, and are most likely an artefact of Egyptians freaking out about people who could attack the Nile with impunity from the sea, where they had previously only faced terrestrial enemies. They didn't single handedly cause the Bronze Age 'collapse', and it's an idea that needs to die.

No I agree, and that's the point. There was obviously some (or several) real cultures/kingdoms out there, but since they weren't historically super important other than a few allusions it's like they never existed. Much like these (fake) historians understandably don't give a poo poo between these two groups separated by only a few hundred miles on a single planet. They don't see those as independent states. Depending on modern record keeping I can see that kind of knowledge being lost over a few thousand years, especially when you count stuff like the evacuation of the whole planet Earth.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I get the joke, people - no need to jump down my throat about it.
I just think it's more interesting to think of it as alternative history.

Denmark once had its own empire which is not mentioned anywhere in Dune, so I think it makes more sense that it's alternative history where vikings and the traders and women they brought with them didn't arrive in Great Vineland (known to the modern world as United States), traveled and traded regularily with places as far away as Persia, and existed in many other places around the world including most of Britain as well as all of Scandinavia and quite a number of islands as well as admittedly small parts of Africa and India.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 26, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

skasion posted:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I guess I disagree that an alternative history adds anything at all to dune, it's not really echoed in any aspects or themes of the books.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

sebmojo posted:

I guess I disagree that an alternative history adds anything at all to dune, it's not really echoed in any aspects or themes of the books.
Aside from the whole feudal-oriented system based on empire that's at the center of the power-struggle, you mean?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Until Tarantino directs God Emperor and Brad Pitt Duncan carves the Atreides hawk into Leto II’s forehead

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
One aspect is doesn't Paul claim his other memory goes back to Alexander or something

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Bloop posted:

One aspect is doesn't Paul claim his other memory goes back to Alexander or something

Agamemnon. Who was the son of King Atreus, which is where the whole atreides thing comes from.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Agamemnon. Who was the son of King Atreus, which is where the whole atreides thing comes from.
Do not read the failsons retcon on this.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Yeah, it's neat attempt at myth building, but weird, because Cassandra was the one who could see the future, but she never actually had children with Agamemnon.
And his son Orestes technically lifts the curse on the house of Atreus.
Electra, his sister, also has some neat parallels with Alia.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cheesus posted:

Do not read the failsons retcon on this.

I read Butlerian Jihad when it came out and it was the dumbest fuckin’ retcon. I put up with the House prequels but that one was a step over the line. Gave up on the prequels after that.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I'm annoyed that "7000 year old cyborg-savant in cometary orbit dispensing world-shattering technologies until killed by religious ideologues" was thrown out in favor of...the KJA trashfires. This is a very Herbertian idea.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Now Showing

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Agamemnon d’Atreides

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Hah, that's great. I love that idea of people who are used to thinking in terms of a galaxy-wide empire grappling with the idea that you could divide a planet into multiple sovereign entities. "battle of englichannel" is great too.
"Ceres gains imperial seat after planetoid strikes earth" is nice and ominous. "Oh look, we've got control of planetoids now! oopsy doodle, one is headed for earth! Ouchies!"

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

for whatever reason THE CROMPTON RUINS is hilarious to me. I have no idea what it even is but I just imagine them finding Compton and diving some sort of ancient terran mythology from it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The Ancient Empire of Tu’Pac and his loyal canine Snoop.

The Knights of Suge

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's a very common thing in sci-fi that after thousands of years and various cataclysms and ideological throwbacks that the history of Earth is distorted at best, and even if there's people who DO know the history the common view is about as accurate as most people's knowledge of history that comes from pop culture. Like how people think that Atlantis, King Arthur and Robin Hood were real when all of them were explicitly fictional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The thing about Atreides descending from the ancient empires doesn't come from the non-existent writings of the failson; it's from GEoD as that book references Ashurnasirpal as the guardian that Leto II selects to avoid being possessed (by a more malignant personality, at any rate), and that was the name of a couple of kings of Assyria around 1000 B.C.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 27, 2020