Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It was a two way gate, but it only goes to Scott's house on the moon, I assume there's a different gate that goes from the moon to Krakoa and that one probably has the mutant only thing happening.

Just realized that's where Wolverine lives also, which means Kate hasn't been to Wolverine's new place.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
wait you can chose the powers? and all the new mutans will be selected for fanatical defiance? oh man

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
X-Men is SO loving GOOD

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Giant Size Jean/Emma is the most Morrison thing I’ve read in years.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Beerdeer posted:

X-Men is SO loving GOOD

It’s cool that they’re addressing the de powered mutants but jesus loving Christ there has got to be a better way.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Giant Size Jean/Emma is the most Morrison thing I’ve read in years.
Considering that it's a Morrison cover/homage that makes a lot of sense.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s cool that they’re addressing the de powered mutants but jesus loving Christ there has got to be a better way.

Arguably euthanasia would accomplish the same goal but I guess you only get Apocalypse's vote if he gets to sword fight all the depowered mutants.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
X-Men was icky but in a way I begrudgingly find interesting. This series keeps tiptoeing to places where I'm like "they'd better not go there," then they go there and I sort of find it worth it.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

To quote myself from elsewhere:

quote:

You say that, and then you look over at X-Force where Colossus is contemplating double suicide with Domino to escape his psychological scars.

Aero is no less scarred psychologically. And physiologically she's been violated in a way far deeper and far more permanent than what Colossus has been through. And there are a million other mutants just as scarred, just as violated as she has been. Would you rather they all choose the option of living with that violation when they don't have to if they don't want to? Would you prefer they just line up to be impaled, or hung, or shot, or killed in some way where they are sufficiently helpless to make it seem less like a choice they have made and more like an execution? Or would it be better if they took matters into their own hands privately?

Those are the questions that they are faced with. It's not illegal for any of them to do it themselves. Nor are they barred from Krakoa if they don't have their powers. It's an option for those who want to feel in control of their fate. And without the permanence of actual suicide.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Honestly Apocalypse should just genocide all the human mutants. hosed up that he's kept it in his pants this long.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

couldn't a telepath peacefully cut their brains off or something

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I was a little confused about the "will's" part, Are they saying people are asking to be brought back as magneto in some instances? Stuff like that?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

I was a little confused about the "will's" part, Are they saying people are asking to be brought back as magneto in some instances? Stuff like that?

Yes. People are putting requests in their wills that are raising a whole bunch of difficult to answer questions.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I like how this week's X-Men is very clear about addressing the question of how the X-Men (the good ones) feel about their current status quo: Yeah, a lot of this stuff is really weird and hosed up, but we live here now so we've gotta figure a way to make it work.

It's a new type of "Here are your superheroes dealing with morally ponderous circumstances" that's a bit more interesting than the typical "The status quo sucks, but that doesn't mean we can let Mad Stan blow up the Gotham City Courthouse/Superman can't just terraform the moon" like you see in 99% of these books. It kinda puts me in the mindset of stuff like Kingdom Come and Moore's proposed Twilight of the Superheroes, except it works in the regular old context because it's the mutants, a sub-brand of characters whose have been living in one big rolling ongoing existential crisis (even more than all the other superheroes) basically ever since Legion accidentally time-travel killed his daddy

Krakoan culture does strike me as being set up to be deeply hosed up, from the fact that everyone blames Wanda for the Decimation when a not-small part of her issues are Magneto's fault, and now this Crucible stuff, and the fact that they've got freaking Exodus being responsible for teaching kids literally anything, but... the kinda poo poo that society at large believes in the homo sapiens world is pretty hosed up too, so you can't just roll your eyes and go "That would never happen!"

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 26, 2020

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's still the entire population of genosha to work through. so, no room in the queue for flatscans.
Yeah it seems like the procedure could eventually scale up since a human brain is presumably not that different from a mutant brain.

I had the realization late last night that Angel, of all people, is a profound biological novelty because he's a hexapodal mammal, even though his power is generally held to not be particularly awesome.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Krakoan culture does strike me as being set up to be deeply hosed up, from the fact that everyone blames Wanda for the Decimation when a not-small part of her issues are Magneto's fault, and now this Crucible stuff, and the fact that they've got freaking Exodus being responsible for teaching kids literally anything, but... the kinda poo poo that society at large believes in the homo sapiens world is pretty hosed up too, so you can't just roll your eyes and go "That would never happen!"

Yeah, I was a little disturbed by that too. You let Exodus anywhere near impressionable kids, and you deserve the fiery apocalypse that you get in the end. (In this case, possibly including Apocalypse on fire! :supaburn:)

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Parallax posted:

couldn't a telepath peacefully cut their brains off or something

Yeah, but this way it's a self-sorting mechanism. Depowered mutants could just painlessly kill themselves, but then they're at the back of the queue behind 16 million Genoshans. The council could self-select depowered mutants with useful abilities, but then you're introducing a concrete class-based system into Krakoa; friends of the X-men vs. everyone else.

With the Crucible, if you want to regain powers, you have to really want to regain powers; it simultaneously keeps the numbers manageable while ensuring that more useful mutants regain powers first. It's a very Apocalypse solution to the problem.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

OnimaruXLR posted:

I mean, they invited Mr. loving Sinister into a position of power. The poison is in Krakoa's very bones.

This doesn't end happily.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like that Scott is all "hell no I don't want to be on the council."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Codependent Poster posted:

I like that Scott is all "hell no I don't want to be on the council."

He's been in a position where everyone was looking to him to figure out how to save all mutants and it cost him almost all his friends, and ended with him killing his father figure.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

At least you don’t have to remember being killed. Plus, you get to totally tell people about how you stood up to Apocalypse.

Giant Size was absolutely gorgeous.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, looking at Fantastic Four versus X-Men, it's kind of hard to avoid the conclusion that Reed had to dip into being a dick (not that he needs the excuse) because otherwise he'd be obviously in the right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

So, looking at Fantastic Four versus X-Men, it's kind of hard to avoid the conclusion that Reed had to dip into being a dick (not that he needs the excuse) because otherwise he'd be obviously in the right?

Ehh, anytime you have a conflict between super teams that have both saved the world on the regular you might have some characters acting a little out of character in order to fuel the conflict.

But Reed Richards being a complete dick is pretty in character.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Ehh, anytime you have a conflict between super teams that have both saved the world on the regular you might have some characters acting a little out of character in order to fuel the conflict.

But Reed Richards being a complete dick is pretty in character.

Yeah, I'm not really disagreeing that he's being a dick about it, I just feel like him being a dick is necessary for the story because as far as the arguments being thrown around go he's basically 100% right.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

its small potatos compared to the time he built an extradimensional prison to hold people without trial.

also the prison was built in the negative zone, causing Annihilus to launch a war that killed trillions lmao.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 27, 2020

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Synthbuttrange posted:

its small potatos compared to the time he built an extradimensional prison to hold people without trial.

Made a Thor clone that killed a minority superhero too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I mean, they invited Mr. loving Sinister into a position of power. The poison is in Krakoa's very bones.

This doesn't end happily.

Both Sinister and his mentor Apocalypse are enough to raise several eyebrows. What's next? Dark Beast and Sugar Man?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

Which, when you get right down to it, was another case of "he's got to be an extra-big dick about this because otherwise he's obviously correct."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Which, when you get right down to it, was another case of "he's got to be an extra-big dick about this because otherwise he's obviously correct."

Even without the extradimensional prison he was clearly incorrect in Civil War. He only gets credit for being correct because he said he did math and the math said every other response would have been worse.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Civil War is one of those situations where the argument at the core of the story had to be escalated to a ridiculous degree in order for it to be exciting, and long-term forgiveness for characters like Reed and Tony is more feasible (if only because they'd be more likely to ask for a mea culpa) than someone like Cap, who'd be more likely to let himself get arrested and rot in jail, which is what he was going to do until he got shot.

Marvel characters are kind of defined by the types of mistakes they're allowed to make. Reed is allowed to freak out and be overprotective for his family. Peter is allowed to gently caress up his personal life. Professor X is allowed to be a huge, often catastrophic gently caress up as long as it comes from a place of intensely patronizing paternalism.

and then Tony is allowed to just generally be kind of a gently caress up, as long as he build robot suit real good

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tony's always been known for his failures more than his successes. For the longest time his two biggest stories were 'fights alcoholism' and ''mugs people he thinks have some relation to his technology.' (Sorry, Stingray. No hard feelings, right?)

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, giving Reed the benefit of the doubt, he is unable to fix his child's power loss and it's having a profoundly negative effect on Franklin. Meanwhile, Franklin wants to go to Krakoa and is always a gate away from home. They have no reason to suspect them of wanting to hold Franklin against his will and if anyone that isn't Doom or Reed can solve Franklin's problem it's going to be someone on that island.

"But they have a timetable, they could have waited until he was eighteen and went on his own!"

He is losing his powers as we speak, unless Reed WANTS that to happen it makes perfect sense that mutants would be worried about one of their own rapidly growing weaker and it would probably be a good idea to figure out the problem before it has years to metastasize and leave him completely depleted, possibly irrevocably. Whether you think they have an ulterior motive for wanting Franklin to come or not, unless you think they're going to keep him there against his will (and it's not like that's something they even could do if they successfully restore him) then you've got no reason to object to him going if he wants to.

Again, unless you don't want him to have his powers.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Or if you think they're a weirdo cult who can't be trusted not to brainwash your child.

Not having powers won't kill him even if you accept that only the X-Men can help, which honestly Reed probably doesn't have to do.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i wonder if they intentionally released these issues of X-Men and X-Force in the same week considering they both deal with the same questions and themes

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

Or if you think they're a weirdo cult who can't be trusted not to brainwash your child.

Not having powers won't kill him even if you accept that only the X-Men can help, which honestly Reed probably doesn't have to do.

It's been part of Franklin's identity for most of his life, and also he's used his powers to save both this Earth and countless others. Yeah I don't think Krakoa would be as eager to recruit Franklin if his mutant powers were equivalent to like Beak's, but they aren't and that's the reality you deal with.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Of course the supposed heroes who sat idly by for a decade while mutants suffered crisis after crisis after crisis, not lifting a finger to help even when their son turned out to be a mutant himself, would think mutants finally getting their own constitutes a "weirdo cult".

Sue's "they're not heroes anymore" really drives the point home. "They're not freely doing for us anymore so they can no longer be trusted." Meanwhile Reed just had that whole spiel about his family not coming back for so long because they were tired of being heroes.

Reed is either incapable and unwilling to seek anyone else's help, or Reed is deliberately intending for Franklin to lose his powers.

Your child losing the use of their legs isn't going to kill them either, you still don't let whatever degenerative disease is causing it to linger.

And yes, that is equivalent. This is a part of who Franklin is that he is slowly losing. Not some extra thing. Not for him.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

He's also done it to Franklin on a lower level before.

"Hey, let's invite your friend Leach to stay with us and sleep in your room."

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Skwirl posted:

He's also done it to Franklin on a lower level before.

"Hey, let's invite your friend Leach to stay with us and sleep in your room."

Is Leach on Krakoa? Does it turn into a regular island where ever he is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Suicide by Apoc.