Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
It does raise question, should the Army rename its bases?

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/02/26/top-marine-orders-confederate-paraphernalia-be-removed-all-bases.html

Military.com posted:

As states continue to grapple with the passionate debate over whether to display statues and other tributes to Confederate leaders, Marines have been told the materials won't be tolerated on any of the Corps' installations.

Commandant Gen. David Berger last week instructed top Marine leaders to remove Confederate-related paraphernalia from the service's bases worldwide. The directive is one of several forward-leaning initiatives Berger said he is "prioritizing for immediate execution."

In his memo, a copy of which was obtained by Military.com, Berger also ordered leaders to find ways to move more women into combat jobs, to review the possibility of yearlong maternity leave for female Marines, and to extend parental leave policies to same-sex partners.

The commandant's order came about a week after a congressional hearing on the rise of extremism in the ranks. A recent survey of active-duty troops by the independent Military Times also found signs of white supremacy are on the rise.

Related: Neo-Nazi Group Membership May Not Get You Booted from Military, Officials Say

Maj. Eric Flanagan, Berger's spokesman, did not specify the types of Confederate paraphernalia the general wants stripped from Marine Corps bases.

"Last week, the Commandant of the Marine Corps directed specific tasks be reviewed or addressed by Headquarters Marine Corps staff," Flanagan said. "Many of the tasks were published on Twitter Friday. Other tasks not published previously are mostly administrative matters."

Official policy decisions, changes or implementation plans will be published in appropriate orders or service-wide messages, he added.

The debate over Confederate materials and names on military installations has swirled for years. Ten Army bases are named after leaders of secessionist states, a point of contention for many -- especially after a 2015 racially motivated attack on a South Carolina church thrust the debate over honoring Confederate history onto the national stage.

The attack prompted fierce debate over whether state and local governments should remove statues, street names and other references to Confederate leaders. Major retailers announced they would no longer sell Confederate flags.

But the military's response to Confederate names, flags and other materials was less clear. The Defense Department didn't take any immediate action on the issue, Military Times reported at the time, opting to leave it up to individual services to address.

Richard Kohn, a history professor who studies peace, war and defense at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, said Berger appears to be modernizing the Marine Corps. Ridding military installations of Confederate materials is long overdue, he said.

"We have the need within the country to try and create as much unity as possible and to suppress white nationalism and racism within the ranks of the military because, every once in a while, it crops up and causes an issue," Kohn said.

Several Marines have recently been punished or booted out of the military over racist social media posts, and lawmakers are pushing the Pentagon to better track extremism in the ranks.

Since the Marine Corps' major installations opened after the turn of the 20th century, Kohn said they're unlikely to have overt nods to Confederate leaders.

A 2017 study by the Congressional Research Service found there were no Navy or Marine Corps bases named for Confederate military leaders. The Navy Department follows a procedure for naming streets, facilities and structures on its bases for deceased members of the sea services or those who made significant contributions to the Navy and Marine Corps.

Names of internal portions of buildings can be assigned at the discretion of the local base commander.

But even as one member of the Joint Chiefs makes a stance to rid his service's bases of Confederate paraphernalia, Kohn said it's unlikely to result in the Army renaming those 10 bases that have drawn criticism.

"I think the Army would worry about alienating the local population," he said. "... Most of the people joining the military are from areas where these bases are ... so the recruiting people might say, 'You know, you really don't want to do that.'"

-- Gina Harkins can be reached at gina.harkins@military.com. Follow her on Twitter @ginaaharkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Yes, yes they should

https://twitter.com/pptsapper/status/1232858289169469442

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Rename Fort Gordon? But the heritage!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Haha! They don't want to alienate the dipshits who sign up by renaming bases named after traitors. Thats great.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Fort Trump, Camp Pence, Barr AFB, the list goes on!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Look, I'm not a super Bernie guy, I'm 50/50 on him and Warren.

On the one hand, he's freaking out moderate shitdems that haven't done a goddamn thing nationally lately and the trangulation/centrist tack on things is tired, but the safe bet.

On the other hand:

https://twitter.com/People4Bernie/status/1232854158937427968?s=19

I keep thinking I'm seeing a movement. That might be why the Obama folks aren't saying anything negative about Bernie either - they might see that movement coming too.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Oh no you cant recruit local peckerwoods.

The Navy does have a USNS Maury and he was a traitor during the Slavers rebellion.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Apparently the Bernie rallies in Richmond and NoVa this weekend have already had to switch from ~1500-1800 capacity venues to +6000 just based on RSVPs received so far. There might still be chunks of the party not on board but I don't see any of the other candidates bringing out the sort of energy he does across the country.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Maybe the DNC will get the gently caress on board finally, hopefully.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The DNC won't get onboard because it would admit that they're out of touch and/or wrong on important issues.

They'll fight Bernie tooth and nail until he gets the nomination, and then offer meek "vote blue no matter who" level support at the bare minimum while secretly hoping he chokes.

I suppose it's good that Bernie's campaign has been anticipating a ratfuck since 2016 and has an entirely independent funding network so the DNC has absolutely no sway over him.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Sorta like Obama in 2008.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

obama's people have seen the power of the posting-to-praxis pipeline

https://twitter.com/CourtneySoliday/status/1232319671128461312

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The only redeeming attribute of Fort Indiantown Gap is that it is named for the damned terrain feature it's on. As for the name of the feature, however...

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I still don't get this praxis crap. To me its a thing from deus ex.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

playing deus ex?

that's praxis

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Praxis and allies

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Milo and POTUS posted:

Praxis and allies

Praxis makes perfect.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://youtu.be/uCQZ3SDNTr0?t=130

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Japan is asking for its schools to shut down for a full month and Iraq is doing the same for 10 days, all to try and shut down the coronavirus. Saudi is apparently shutting down all foreign entry too.

https://twitter.com/GearoidReidy/status/1232986688554582016?s=19

Not great.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

ded posted:

I still don't get this praxis crap. To me its a thing from deus ex.

There has been an incident on Praxis, but assistance is not required. Obey treaty stipulations, and remain outside the neutral zone.
This transmission ends, now.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Japan is asking for its schools to shut down for a full month and Iraq is doing the same for 10 days, all to try and shut down the coronavirus. Saudi is apparently shutting down all foreign entry too.

Not great.

Feeling real good about my planned honeymoon in Japan and Thailand in mid-end April right about now. Not because I’m worried about catching this stupid disease, but about the prospects of finding out I’m going to get quarantined on a military base when I arrive back in the States.

:sigh:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Feeling real good about my planned honeymoon in Japan and Thailand in mid-end April right about now. Not because I’m worried about catching this stupid disease, but about the prospects of finding out I’m going to get quarantined on a military base when I arrive back in the States.

Did you buy insurance on the tickets?

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

MA-Horus posted:

There has been an incident on Praxis, but assistance is not required. Obey treaty stipulations, and remain outside the neutral zone.
This transmission ends, now.

Electronic old men, running the world!

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

pantslesswithwolves posted:

If poo poo here goes as bad as expected, what with the whole 'lol you dont need sick pay lol use your own pto' poo poo in jobs that actually let you take days off, I'd say your primary concern would be people from the US getting turned away/flights from the US just being outright cancelled.

We have no infrastructure left to deal with this, and every at will state in existence has been overactive petri dishes of pathogens since time immemorial. One of the places I worked at (cube farm) was so poorly cleaned and maintained that we pulled a fur coat of dust from the vents.

poo poo, I work in health care, and even I dont get sick days. As we speak, I'm listening to two people outside my office cough their brains out because 'dont come in with the flu' is a suggestion, not a requirement.

Sorry about your trip tho, that sucks.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Feb 27, 2020

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
this will make things 100% easier

praxis literally means practice but spelled differently

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yes, hello, I would like to report a woman for working on a tourist visa and failing to report the violation on her subsequent citizenship application.

Yes, her address is 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC, 20500.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Dow implied open at -445 pts hahaha

Hopefully Pence and Mother can pray COVID-19 away.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Bored As gently caress posted:

Dow implied open at -445 pts hahaha

Hopefully Pence and Mother can pray COVID-19 away.

Mike Pence who? Hardly know him. Pretty sure he just got coffee.

Oh sorry I was fast forwarding again.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Expect a rather large jump in infected numbers shorty

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-koreanair-attendant-reportedly-served-tel-aviv-los-angeles-2020-2

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

lol the photo

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

A person who has since been confirmed infected attended the Carneval parties in Cologne. https://apnews.com/230fa2d2e2891ab2ccb6d9c8a5f479bf

quote:

Officials in North Rhine-Westphalia state said earlier Wednesday that the 47-year-old infected man was from Gangelt, near the Dutch border, and that he had been in contact with countless people in recent days, including during Carnival parties and while visiting a Cologne hospital for an unrelated health checkup.

The head of Cologne’s health department, Johannes Niessen, said the man had come into contact with 41 people, including several doctors and nurses, at least one of whom was showing symptoms of illness.

Cologne's Carnival parties are basically the equivalent of Mardi Gras in New Orleans.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

We’re like six hours away from a story about an infected guy sprinting around and spitting into peoples’ mouths at a stadium

All the “it’s just a flu lol if you worry you’re just a fear mongering idiot” minimizations don’t make me feel great as someone whose wife is immunocompromised.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
My company announced that any employee coming back from China, Japan, S Korea, Northern Italy and a few others must not come to work for two weeks with no hit to their PTO.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Also its roughly as infectious but about 10x as deadly. Cov19 is around 2%, flu .2%.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
But it wasn't a coup, remember

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1233017698692538369?s=19

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

Not great.

I'm gonna give 50:50 on the Olympics being cancelled atm

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Fallom posted:

We’re like six hours away from a story about an infected guy sprinting around and spitting into peoples’ mouths at a stadium

All the “it’s just a flu lol if you worry you’re just a fear mongering idiot” minimizations don’t make me feel great as someone whose wife is immunocompromised.

This is why I think someone will go to a Bernie rally sick. Some chud will find out they're infected and they're going to stop by a flock of democrats gathering in public. Maybe not Bernie, maybe we'll be lucky and it'll be at a Bloomberg or Butts event. Wait a few days for people to start turning up sick and a primary event is the central factor, causing a shitfit a week later on the news.

There are maliciously dumb people.

Lol dow down over 600.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

At this rate I won't be coming to the States :/

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Those same people are the sort to go to church while also on the verge of puking. I’m not worried about malicious rally attendance when you have all the normal flu vectors to handle it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's a good point. poo poo is going to get ugly.