Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah this is not good

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1232815237503627264?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

Nurge posted:

Does it really even matter?
Quite apart from the morality of a health secretary being untroubled about a critical vaccine being essentially unavailable to poor people, he should at least be concerned about the impact this would have on herd immunity. So yes it probably does matter.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

I have (i think) the regular flu atm, slowly getting better after feeling at my worse (which was mostly feeling pretty weak with a really sore throat and slight chill, mostly just feel weak now with a minor cough and blocked nose). I suppose if you have mild symptoms there's no real way to tell the difference between a mild case of Covid and a mild flu?

Fairly sure it's just the flu and fingers crossed that's the case but i'm keeping myself to myself for the time being. I was visiting the local hospital the last 3 weeks to see my mum who was there but as i'm in the UK and there's been no reports of anyone getting it near me (or at that hospital) I think i'm safe.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
goons I am working on my own in-home egg factory using budgerigars, yeah the eggs may be small but i'm looking to maximize bird-to-floorspace ratio

yeah they're free roam I'm no monster

gonna be feasting on mini omelettes while y'all will be starving for crumbs!!

richardm
Jul 15, 2004

Plant MONSTER. posted:

goons I am working on my own in-home egg factory using budgerigars, yeah the eggs may be small but i'm looking to maximize bird-to-floorspace ratio

You’re just provoking a psittacosis outbreak you monster.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Just Chamber posted:

I have (i think) the regular flu atm, slowly getting better after feeling at my worse (which was mostly feeling pretty weak with a really sore throat and slight chill, mostly just feel weak now with a minor cough and blocked nose). I suppose if you have mild symptoms there's no real way to tell the difference between a mild case of Covid and a mild flu?

Fairly sure it's just the flu and fingers crossed that's the case but i'm keeping myself to myself for the time being. I was visiting the local hospital the last 3 weeks to see my mum who was there but as i'm in the UK and there's been no reports of anyone getting it near me (or at that hospital) I think i'm safe.
I think the biggest tell for this new virus is that you get heavy chest congestion

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

richardm posted:

You’re just provoking a psittacosis outbreak you monster.

Fine!

Pangolin eggs it is!

HAM ON THE BONE
Aug 22, 2009

Pillbug

LimburgLimbo posted:

The article itself says that as she was at home the entire time and did not have contact with others, it seems more likely that her body just didn't produce enough antibodies and it flared up again after once being reduced enough that it gave a negative test once.

Certainly concerning that this could be a potentially be common occurrence but there's yet to be real proof that you can really be totally cured then get it again. Could be problematic if the only reliable way to be finally cured is to keep hospitalized/closely monitor for a notable period even after the first negative test, as that would be quite the drain on resources, and also means that people who were once "cured" could maybe then unwittingly continue to spread.

Or, it could be that the virus can survive for 9 days on surfaces and she re-caught it by touching something in her home. What if all of the “severe” cases we are seeing are second-time infections, and that’s how it kills you. I can think of at least one severe case I’ve read about where the person had the sniffles for a week, felt better for a few days, and then got dramatically worse again and had to be hospitalized.

If this is true, who is to say you can’t get infected a third or forth time? Or however many it takes...?

This is legit the first time I’ve been scared during all this. :ohdear: Talk me down, goons. Tell me I’m an idiot.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

Or, it could be that the virus can survive for 9 days on surfaces and she re-caught it by touching something in her home. What if all of the “severe” cases we are seeing are second-time infections, and that’s how it kills you. I can think of at least one severe case I’ve read about where the person had the sniffles for a week, felt better for a few days, and then got dramatically worse again and had to be hospitalized.

If this is true, who is to say you can’t get infected a third or forth time? Or however many it takes...?

This is legit the first time I’ve been scared during all this. :ohdear: Talk me down, goons. Tell me I’m an idiot.

Wait for better numbers before getting too worried.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Viruses mutate, you can even Google for all of the mutant variants of Covid19 that have been found, it's likely anyone getting a second infection is just catching a different strain

Kind of like how you can catch multiple colds during a cold season

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Why wouldn't you just get button quail?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

maybe crow fever is stored in the balls like piss and ebola

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think the biggest tell for this new virus is that you get heavy chest congestion

what is that supposed to feel like? i don’t think i’ve ever had it. but i just got back from japan and my chest feels weird, lol

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not everyone get's that though. It's very difficult to say because there are too many resources out there detailing the symptoms of the virus. Some just list 3 things: a cough, a high temperature and shortness of breath and that's it while others list a bunch of symptoms such as a runny nose, a headache, cough, sore throat, fever or even better: "a general feeling of being unwell". No idea if those latter symptoms are inaccurate and it's down to misreporting or they're minor symptoms you can still get even if you manage to fight off the virus.

Hopefully we'll get a much clearer picture soon.

After a bit more googling apparently only 5% of those with Covid reported a sore throat and as this started with one and it feels like the other times i've been sick, plus the time frame i'm fairly sure it's the regular old flu thankfully. I'm just relieved my mum was in hospital in the last 3 weeks rather than the next month or so when you can imagine you're going to have people just turning up to Hospital A&E's with the virus as it inevitably spreads.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 27, 2020

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019

Luckily we now have coronavirus czar Mike Pence to help us all through.

Oh god, we really are all going to die.

Uncle Lloyd fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 27, 2020

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Luckily we now have coronavirus czar Mike Pence to help us all through.

Oh god, we really are all going to die.

I always said the end would be near with all the rich-people loving off to Rich People Island so they don't have to deal with the chaos, and between all the CEO's resigning today and Trump BRAVELY PUTTING MIKE PENCE IN CHARGE, the Great loving Off has begun

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Here’s hoping Captain Tripps takes all of Trump’s heirs.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

lol Mike Pence in charge of any disease related anything

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump...ia=twitter_page

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mike Pence is going to tell the nation that the only way to protect yourself is through prayer.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
The only way to prevent the disease is abstinence.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

wilderthanmild posted:

Whew

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

ruddiger posted:

Mike Pence is going to tell the nation that the only way to protect yourself is through prayer.

Pence: "There's nothing better for keeping the disease outside of a man than being inside of a horse"

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
How do you convince your doctor to give you extra prescription medicine so you can stock up without sounding insane

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

It was bio-engineered from HIV, so when you first get it you will feel sick, but most likely survive. However the virus will stay in your body and be asymptomatic because your immune system will be keeping it in check. Then slowly your viral load will grow as your white blood cell count slowly goes down from constantly fighting the virus. Eventually your viral load hits a tipping point where it overwhelms your immune system and you die.

Anyone who get infected is sentenced to death.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I went to a walk in clinic in CA 7 days ago, I'd been coughing non-stop for 3 days and I had been sick with a really sore throat for 8. I vomited on the third night, sounded like Dr. Girlfriend from day 5 onwards and had been sitting up to sleep for 3 days because of the non-stop cough. Despite all of this I didn't get body aches and didn't have a fever any time I checked, but when I went to the walk in they said, 'slight fever'. Anyway they didn't even bother to swab for flu. I've never been swabbed for it in my life. Also they just asked 'been to china recently?' when I checked in. I suspect people who haven't been to china are simply not tested for the coronavirus, which makes me surprised that anyone who hasn't been there ever gets tested for it, let alone tested positive.

Anyway, I asked 'what do I have?' and they said "it's a virus" so that was super cool. Anyway they gave me some extremely hardcore cough medication and it worked very well. I was able to sleep.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Sneak Lemming posted:

How do you convince your doctor to give you extra prescription medicine so you can stock up without sounding insane

"I'm going on vacation can you write for an extra 90-day supply"

Your insurance company probably won't cover it, but you can pay the cash price

Even if you have refills now you can probably pay cash price for an early refill - pharmacist won't care

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

No it was not bioengineered from HIV. But we have around one hundred thousand cases and a R0 of ???? so.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Sneak Lemming posted:

I did this once. I went to a doctor and said "I get an ear infection any time I go diving, and I'm going to mexico to dive. Can you give me an antibiotic?" and he prescribed me one without me being sick.

I then got an ear infection and went to a Mexican doctor who gave me an antibiotic. I checked later and it was the same one I'd been given in the USA and I'd taken with me on my trip but forgotten about, lol.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

wilderthanmild posted:

I don't care what Mike Pence says, he's never going to stop me from loving the pangolins

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

redreader posted:

II suspect people who haven't been to china are simply not tested for the coronavirus, which makes me surprised that anyone who hasn't been there ever gets tested for it, let alone tested positive.

They aren’t.

The CDC was holding off on Testing people for as long as possible.

That is why there have only been 452 (ish) tests done.

Just look at the most recent case in Sacramento. The doctors asked for the test to be done on Wednesday and the CDC dragged its feet till Sunday to do it and even then it wasn’t too keen on it since the dude hadn’t been to China.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

They aren’t.

The CDC was holding off on Testing people for as long as possible.

That is why there have only been 452 (ish) tests done.

Just look at the most recent case in Sacramento. The doctors asked for the test to be done on Wednesday and the CDC dragged its feet till Sunday to do it and even then it wasn’t too keen on it since the dude hadn’t been to China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmOCsiZgAbg&t=26s

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Some of the Sheep posted:

Pence: "There's nothing better for keeping the disease outside of a man than being inside of a horse"

Imagine the smell

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

HAM ON THE BONE posted:

Your immune system doesn't work like this.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

Colonel Cancer posted:

Imagine the smell

Sorry you should also be wearing a mask.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

My neck
My back
My pussy
AND
My virus-laden plume hole

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
have to say i have managed to go from 'touching my face all the time' to 'noticing how often i touch my face' to 'rarely touching my face', so at least that's good

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
But your face is always touching your face! Ahhh

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

redreader posted:

I went to a walk in clinic in CA 7 days ago, I'd been coughing non-stop for 3 days and I had been sick with a really sore throat for 8. I vomited on the third night, sounded like Dr. Girlfriend from day 5 onwards and had been sitting up to sleep for 3 days because of the non-stop cough. Despite all of this I didn't get body aches and didn't have a fever any time I checked, but when I went to the walk in they said, 'slight fever'. Anyway they didn't even bother to swab for flu. I've never been swabbed for it in my life. Also they just asked 'been to china recently?' when I checked in. I suspect people who haven't been to china are simply not tested for the coronavirus, which makes me surprised that anyone who hasn't been there ever gets tested for it, let alone tested positive.

Anyway, I asked 'what do I have?' and they said "it's a virus" so that was super cool. Anyway they gave me some extremely hardcore cough medication and it worked very well. I was able to sleep.

Holy poo poo they didn’t test for flu? It takes roughly 15 minutes for them to find out the results

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
My buddy just got back from a Royal carribean cruise. Said they asked him three questions and no body check at all. Lol