Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
What about when Jameson went by JX3 hoping to appeal to 90s youth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Edit: the series is Komi Can’t Communicate

thetoughestbean fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 27, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

idgi

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

site posted:

idgi

Casually asking somebody for help finding a person’s mom is absurd, the idea that she is lost in her own house even more so.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Loki #3:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

J CUBED

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Spider-Man: Fake Red

Normal high school student Yu finds Spider-Man's suit in the trash and decides to wear it. After being nearly killed by Spidey's enemies several times, he ends up teaming up with the real Spider-Man to fight Mysterio (who knows Spider-Man's real identity). So now Peter has to fight while at the same time trying to prevent Yu from being murdered by Mysterio's illusions.

(That illusion is MJ, for the record.)

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

thetoughestbean posted:

Casually asking somebody for help finding a person’s mom is absurd, the idea that she is lost in her own house even more so.

I assumed that it was a whole "bored/lonely house mom" thing and that the teacher was asking these guys to go over to Kaede's house to help find her mom as a pretext for having sex with her.

And I did find that funny, when combined with the way the teacher is drawn in a manner where it really looks like she is trying to be subtle.

But if the actual answer is "she is so ditzy she gets lost in her own house" then that is less funny.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Too easy to get him mixed up with J2, the Juggernaut's heroic son.

Though I tend to mentally pronounce JJJ 'three-J'

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Elfface posted:

J. Jonah's son, John, is also heroic, in addition to being an astronaut. (Or he was at one point.)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

thetoughestbean posted:

without any context im not sure why wanting to look for someone is absurd, nor do i have any indication that the mom is "lost" in her own house

and since you didnt bother to follow the rules and label what this page is from i couldnt look it up even if i wanted to

site fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 27, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah, for real, label your posts in the Post <x> Panels threads, especially if it isn't immediately obvious. If someone posts a page of Spider-Man goofing on Mysterio or whatever we have at least a little bit of a bread-crumb trail to suss out where to find the source, but if you just drop what appears to be a fan-translation of some manga, nobody is going to be able to seek it out or learn anything else about it. I've discovered a ton of cool series through these threads that otherwise would have flown completely beneath my radar, and that's not going to happen if we just encounter these pages as context-free scraps.

Edit: It's from something called "Komi-San Wa Komyushou Desu" it looks like, if anybody wanted to follow-up on it.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 27, 2020

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Jeneration Jex

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Sorry about not posting the name of the manga, I will post the name next time.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Challenge: Someone's got to post actually funny manga panels. I like manga, but from what gets posted here, the humor can't stand up to good funny American stuff.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

site posted:

without any context im not sure why wanting to look for someone is absurd, nor do i have any indication that the mom is "lost" in her own house

and since you didnt bother to follow the rules and label what this page is from i couldnt look it up even if i wanted to

I assumed some Junji Ito horror stuff was about to happen.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Domus posted:

Challenge: Someone's got to post actually funny manga panels. I like manga, but from what gets posted here, the humor can't stand up to good funny American stuff.

This derail has been done and it's always atrocious so let's actually disregard this challenge.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Mashle: Magic and Muscles

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Umm how is funny panels a derail in the funny panels thread? I'm not saying manga isn't as funny as American stuff, just that people don't post much manga here. It's much more difficult, because you can't assume the reader has any knowledge of the characters. But I'm sure it's out there. I love the yakuza house husband, for example.

Edit: See, funny stuff already.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
could be the inherent racism in the "japanese humor just isnt as funny as american humor" assumption i dunno

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Domus posted:

I'm not saying manga isn't as funny as American stuff

Domus posted:

the humor can't stand up to good funny American stuff.

The "manga sucks!"/"No, manga rules!" bit always goes on forever and doesn't change anyone's mind. As has been the case since forever ago, please post manga in this and the badass/moving threads, if you like a particular page or scene I encourage you to say so, if you don't like it, say so, but there's no need to make it into a clash of cultures.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Domus posted:

I like manga, but from what gets posted here, the humor can't stand up to good funny American stuff.

Ghostlight posted:

Commando Ninja

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

prefect posted:

J. Jonah's son, John, is also heroic, in addition to being an astronaut. (Or he was at one point.)

they really messed up by not naming him J. Jonah Jameson Jr.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
One Punch Man

King is a guy who looks scary but is actually just a completely normal human who has accidentally intimidated so many monsters he's become one of the Top 10 heroes.

Sweet Dreams in the Demon Castle

Concerning a kidnapped princess who mostly wants to sleep, and demons that are very bad at keeping her contained.

Don't worry, the Demon Monk has plenty of practice with revival magic.

'Tis Time for Torture, Princess

Concerining a kidnapped princess being pumped for information in a number of terrifying and efective ways (Like cup noodles being allowed to go soggy)

The Demon King is always the epitome of a demon king, whatever the situation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Elfface posted:

In the 90s cartoon, where Jonah was updated to be a Ted Turner/Rupert Murdoch tv mogul, his company was called J3 communications.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

site posted:

could be the inherent racism in the "japanese humor just isnt as funny as american humor" assumption i dunno

I meant the manga that is posted in this thread makes manga look unfunny. I didn’t mean manga isn’t as funny as other comics. Not the best post, I admit, but I was literally posting during my bathroom break of three whole minutes. Is it that surprising it’s a shitpost?

But look at all this great stuff so far! There’s clearly quality funny out in manga land. I just don’t get why people in this thread sometimes post a page of a manga that isn’t funny without context, and then don’t provide context.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Somehow this discussion never happens when someone posts panels from Dungeon Meshi. An actual good comic.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Blue Beetle #1 (1940)

Plastic Man #14 (1948)

Weird Mystery Tales #3 (1972)

The Inhumans #12 (1977)

The Vision and the Scarlet Witch #2 (1985)

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #41 (2019)

Manga section:

Tokyo Zombie (1999)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I don't have it immediately at hand, since I'm on my phone, but What's Michael? is manga and one of the funniest things I've ever read, so pretend I posted the Michael vs. Dracula page.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

now that is funny as hell

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Thank you, Comic Strip Thread Comrade. :h:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

What's Michael rules so much.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

(me irl)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I am supposed to read these left to right, yes?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

site posted:

I am supposed to read these left to right, yes?

Yeah, What's Michael was first published in the US in the 90s so they flipped it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, you could have just clipped "The typical yakuza owns a dog...but admires cats!" and I would have enjoyed it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

How Wonderful! posted:

What's Michael rules so much.

I can't go read it any more after I read the strip where the comic creator (as in he actually drew himself in the strip) kills Michael. I found it so disturbing that I don't want to accidentally come across it again.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

I can't go read it any more after I read the strip where the comic creator (as in he actually drew himself in the strip) kills Michael. I found it so disturbing that I don't want to accidentally come across it again.

No that was Garfield.

Battle Angel Alita: Last Order (Omnibus Vol. 5). Last Order is more than 2000 pages of fights and the meaning of humanity and "self" in a society where pretty much everyone is a cyborg. The previous ones had to do with class warfare, freedom, the ego and goverments hiding information from the people.
Plus, some very ridiculous ways in which the creator adds some funny bits to the middle of fights. (Read right to left)

Karate "on the level of the theory of relativity" is incredibly funny to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Vincent posted:

No that was Garfield.

Are you talking about the strip where the cat outside his apartment window is bothering him while he's trying to draw so he just pushes it off and kills it in front of its owner who screams "Michael!!" at her dead cat in front of her?