Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.
I'm now in a position where I can work from any place a short flight from Vancouver and my wife and I are definitely thinking of getting a place on Gabriola or whatever and just tapping out of this loving urban death spiral.

Vancouver is dead, and has been for years. Ignoring that fact is getting more and more difficult, and now that I have the privilege of mobility, I want a loving divorce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Segue
May 23, 2007

My sister who lives in Vancouver was visiting me in Toronto and she and her partner commented on how vibrant the art and culture scene was compared to Vancouver. I started listing all the cool venues that had closed down due to rent hikes.

As someone who would be bored stiff in a small town where I have to drive everywhere I'm terrified of Toronto hollowing out more and more. But talking to someone who lived here 20 years ago was eye-opening in just how much gentrification has already hosed things.

Choosing between a condofied city and an affordable suburb seems like a pretty awful choice tbh.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Anecdotal, but apparently many Mainlanders are seeing the corona virus situation as a reason to gtfo and begin buying Vancouver properties, foreign buyers tax be damned.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Franks Happy Place posted:

I'm now in a position where I can work from any place a short flight from Vancouver and my wife and I are definitely thinking of getting a place on Gabriola or whatever and just tapping out of this loving urban death spiral.

Vancouver is dead, and has been for years. Ignoring that fact is getting more and more difficult, and now that I have the privilege of mobility, I want a loving divorce.

My partner and I spent some time looking at Gabriola and it is a pretty beautiful place. With the right work it would be ideal. It's nice that Nanaimo is a very short ferry away, even if it is the almost literal rear end in a top hat of the island.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

ARACHTION posted:

Anecdotal, but apparently many Mainlanders are seeing the corona virus situation as a reason to gtfo and begin buying Vancouver properties, foreign buyers tax be damned.

ROFL. Like that is going to protect them. This thing is going to march over the globe. The time to fix it was November. It's far too late now. Better to buy a bolt-hole in the middle of the Nevada desert.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Franks Happy Place posted:

I think this is now true of most major cities in North America and Europe. The ultra-rich can afford to be in these places because they are cool, AirBnB facilitates tourists who want to visit the same places because they are cool, but by virtue of their existence both through their actions destroy that which they purport to love and appreciate.

I don't know what that means for art, because without art, our ability to interpret our culture is sorely lacking.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I think this is now true of most major cities in North America and Europe. The ultra-rich can afford to be in these places because they are cool, AirBnB facilitates tourists who want to visit the same places because they are cool, but by virtue of their existence both through their actions destroy that which they purport to love and appreciate.

I don't know what that means for art, because without art, our ability to interpret our culture is sorely lacking.

This is why we fight for beauty.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

ROFL. Like that is going to protect them. This thing is going to march over the globe. The time to fix it was November. It's far too late now. Better to buy a bolt-hole in the middle of the Nevada desert.
i think they're more concerned about being terrorized in a hyper-police state than they are about the not-very-deadly virus thats going around lately

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

half cocaine posted:

This is why we fight for beauty.

Oh, of course! How silly of me! I must read my $500 coffee table book.

This post was not sponsored by Westbank.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Juul-Whip posted:

i think they're more concerned about being terrorized in a hyper-police state than they are about the not-very-deadly virus thats going around lately

Assumes they can get out of said hyper-police state!

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Canada might be the last country to close their borders to Chinese citizens, so it is in the realm of possibility.

Torquil!
Jun 20, 2005
Dillon!

Juul-Whip posted:

whoa, a HYPER police state??? that means its extra bad!!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Torquil! posted:

whoa, a HYPER police state??? that means its extra bad!!

Speaking of extra bad

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Segue posted:

My sister who lives in Vancouver was visiting me in Toronto and she and her partner commented on how vibrant the art and culture scene was compared to Vancouver. I started listing all the cool venues that had closed down due to rent hikes.

As someone who would be bored stiff in a small town where I have to drive everywhere I'm terrified of Toronto hollowing out more and more. But talking to someone who lived here 20 years ago was eye-opening in just how much gentrification has already hosed things.

Choosing between a condofied city and an affordable suburb seems like a pretty awful choice tbh.

It sucks but what can you do, it's not like anyone's going to make Toronto affordable to live in. My wife and I moved to Durham because it was pretty much the last affordable place on a GO Train line. I've made my peace with living in Whitby for the near future. There's plenty of trails and outdoors stuff to do, at least, so that's something.

The funny thing is the exodus of young people into the 905 is going to radically alter the region's politics, and you get to see all the fallout from that.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Best of luck Frank and glad to hear you've got a good shot to get out with the money to fund it.

I'm still a little annoyed you refused to give any good weed stock tips beyond "what is wrong with you idiots, sell anything you're still holding now, how many times do I need to say this, it's all a giant idiot scam" right before it all went into the Marinas Trench.

Like. Wow. Unhelpful much?

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

The Butcher posted:

Best of luck Frank and glad to hear you've got a good shot to get out with the money to fund it.

I'm still a little annoyed you refused to give any good weed stock tips beyond "what is wrong with you idiots, sell anything you're still holding now, how many times do I need to say this, it's all a giant idiot scam" right before it all went into the Marinas Trench.

Like. Wow. Unhelpful much?

Hope you shorted that poo poo, fellow goon. :tipshat:

Torquil!
Jun 20, 2005
Dillon!

qhat posted:

Speaking of extra bad

its you

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I keep getting outbid by boomers and mainlanders on rural BC parcels and it's loving slaying me. Raw unimproved acreage an hour outside of loving Kitwanga with no services and poo poo all for anything shouldn't be going above asking price and moving within two months of listing.

I could just buy in cash by December but at this rate the entire province is going to belong to loving China by then.

I'm pretty sure it's because smart money is realizing how fast the climate is collapsing now, and that should be scary to everyone. That market has been stagnant for like a loving decade.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Rime posted:

I'm pretty sure it's because smart money is realizing how fast the climate is collapsing now, and that should be scary to everyone. That market has been stagnant for like a loving decade.

I think it's just desperation to get into something, anything, anywhere. Fueled by debt and leverage.

Oh, and China is screwed. Coronavirus may just be the thing to topple their economy and ferment some real revolution.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Rime posted:

I keep getting outbid by boomers and mainlanders on rural BC parcels and it's loving slaying me. Raw unimproved acreage an hour outside of loving Kitwanga with no services and poo poo all for anything shouldn't be going above asking price and moving within two months of listing.

I could just buy in cash by December but at this rate the entire province is going to belong to loving China by then.

Why rural BC and not rural Nova Scotia or something where the land is cheap as dirt? If it takes you 12 hours to get to either by car or plane and you have no services then does it really matter if you have to fly remote and keep a beater truck parked at the airport?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

cowofwar posted:

Why rural BC and not rural Nova Scotia or something where the land is cheap as dirt? If it takes you 12 hours to get to either by car or plane and you have no services then does it really matter if you have to fly remote and keep a beater truck parked at the airport?

because it's the best place on earth and they're not making any more land. maybe rime can find a nice little plot in Wuhan

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I can't answer for Rime, but personally I also have reasons for spending extra to try to stay here. At least until the numbers really stop working too badly.

For me it's not just about having land for land's sake.

It's where I grew up. This is home. The coasts and the mountains.

Other places feel weird. I always feel like a visitor.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I grew up here and don't yet have the job prospects to leave! I have grown indifferent towards vancouver life. I find I don't like the people here as much as I did in my 20's.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Oh god not Vancouver itself. Just the actual biome.

It's like Toxoplasmosis but for ecosystems and geology so instead of being way into cats you buy unserviced land in Buttfuck Corner.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I've been all over the world, and Vancouver is lovely, but it's the same story everywhere else and sometimes worse. Just find a cool place you kinda like to live and live there.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Hey Rime, do you remember that gold mine on top of a mountain for sale a few years back around Nelson? I wanted to look it up again but can’t find it.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Frank Dillinger posted:

Hey Rime, do you remember that gold mine on top of a mountain for sale a few years back around Nelson? I wanted to look it up again but can’t find it.

Does it come with a giant heap of untreated toxic tailings?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

cowofwar posted:

Because the Atlantic provinces are gonna get hard hosed by the 2030's, along with the rest of everywhere, and I like mountains. Mostly because I feel naked without mountains and rainforest, it is my natural habitat.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Yeah Landquest handled that one, I haven't seen it for a while so it either sold or the seller gave up.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Rime posted:

Because the Atlantic provinces are gonna get hard hosed by the 2030's, along with the rest of everywhere, and I like mountains. Mostly because I feel naked without mountains and rainforest, it is my natural habitat.

Yeah Landquest handled that one, I haven't seen it for a while so it either sold or the seller gave up.

Wait, how are we getting hosed? Is it rising sea levels?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Isn't it because the Atlantic provinces are nothing but old people about to die.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Rime posted:

Yeah exactly! When it was up I managed to find a web page about it and locate the dude who had the mineral rights, wanted to check up on it again but came up empty. My guess is it got bought by the Darkwoods people, but who knows.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
One of the new towers at Lougheed has halted construction because of corona virus because one dude showed up to work with a fever.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

There's a big tech company in Vancouver with well over a thousand employees, and I won't say which, which has basically told everyone to work from home because somebody came back from a coronavirus high risk region last weekend and decided to immediately go to work the next day. Turns out mid this week they came down with flu like symptoms.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

qhat posted:

There's a big tech company in Vancouver with well over a thousand employees, and I won't say which, which has basically told everyone to work from home because somebody came back from a coronavirus high risk region last weekend and decided to immediately go to work the next day. Turns out mid this week they came down with flu like symptoms.

Why won’t you say which? Seems to me this is a major public health issue. At least call your local Medical Officer of Health or something.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Seriously. “Not saying” is what lovely governments do to avoid embarrassment at the expense of human lives. Say who imo

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Why won’t you say which? Seems to me this is a major public health issue. At least call your local Medical Officer of Health or something.

Because it's not confirmed (should know either today or tomorrow) and that provincial authorities are already aware of it allegedly.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
so?

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

qhat posted:

Because it's not confirmed (should know either today or tomorrow) and that provincial authorities are already aware of it allegedly.

You should report anyway. This is about containing a virus the likes of which hasn’t been seen in 100 years. No one is getting arrested here, it’s about protecting public health.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Just tell us we're goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

You should report anyway. This is about containing a virus the likes of which hasn’t been seen in 100 years. No one is getting arrested here, it’s about protecting public health.

This is a bit hyperbolic. The coronavirus family has circulating endemic strains including those causing the common cold. SARS and MERS were also coronavirus strains. The novel coronavirus currently circulating has no established immunity which is the main concern; so even though it has lower morbidity and mortality than the H. Influenza it has the potential to overload hospitals. That hasn’t been well established as a lot of its transmission, incubation, and other metrics and not well defined due to lack of epidemiological data.

It’s concerning and requires cautious handling but it’s hardly a spanish flu event.