Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I lived in Cardiff for years. That tree is covering a bar from memory.

e:

now seems to be a bank and a cafe. But the building is absolutely blocked out, can't see a square inch of it.

EL BROMANCE has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Feb 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
That is the best loving troll. Bravo, that person. Also, :thermidor:

What the actual hell? The only attractive building in the top one is still there and looks nicely maintained; replacing boring early 20th-century office blocks with boring early 21st-century office blocks is not a tragedy.

In the second one, the attractive building is still there, you just can’t see it if you’re standing on the other side of the perfectly nice and healthy trees. I know actually walking a few steps is beyond these people, but :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

TinTower posted:

Apparently today’s political discourse is about washing period panties in a public poop-place.

I hate this loving country.

Period shaming

So a few weeks or months ago I noticed some TERFs pushing out this story about girls in the UK not going to the bathroom at school because they don't have enough women-only ones, just unisex, and they're getting period shamed by the boys for going there when they start getting their period and staying too long. I guess they're just trying to make an even more implausible argument to further cement their in-group for this cult?

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I propose tiny single-panty washing machine/dryers for all unisex bathrooms to save women from the embarrassment of sink washing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I'm not going to share a lot about this idiot and transphobe, all you have to know is that they think they're entitled to anybody's attention on voice chat.

https://twitter.com/ScalpingScumba1/status/1232806457487372288

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh it’s Painbow. He has quite the reputation from the similar wowplayers.txt thread in the SA WoW sub forum.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Arivia posted:

Oh it’s Painbow. He has quite the reputation from the similar wowplayers.txt thread in the SA WoW sub forum.

"huh, I wonder what they're l-"

https://twitter.com/ScalpingScumba1/status/1231220858250723328?s=20

well then, at least everyone knows who they are

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Sounds more like a painpig than a painbow

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Inceltown posted:

Sounds more like a painpig than a painbow

Whatever you do, don't call them Rainbow.

https://twitter.com/DariaPlays/status/1232781432650653707

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

lmao he's moment of glory that he thinks people should worship him for was put on yt in 2010. That's even sadder than a dude in his 40's boasting about being QB in HS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWYftNsv4lM

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
More TERFs failing high school maths:

https://twitter.com/Jessica12uk/status/1232588148242251776?s=20

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

this is why im a trans supremacist, cis people were born into gender, trans people earned theirs through having to deal with cis people all the time (braver than the troops)

and if you think "im totally cis but i sure am annoyed about cis people a lot" you may want to think about things, same if you have a lot of trans friends who don't hate you or you find yourself in trans spaces a lot, and if they complain about cis people to you welcome to the fam

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

T-man posted:

(braver than the troops)

Checks out.
Source- Veteran

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

down with cis

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Down with cis sort of thing

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Over on Reddit, r/the_donald is in a slow-motion meltdown. The sub has never really made it a priority to follow Reddit's rules, and in the past has abused them quite heavily to promote itself. Last year the Reddit admins finally "quarantined" the sub, which means only registered users can view posts in it and even then you would need to click through an annoying screen if you were not a subscriber to the sub. The mods were told that this quarantine was because they (the mods) were not enforcing the rules and they would need to begin doing so if they wanted the quarantine lifted. (Note: to my knowledge Reddit has never un-quaratined a subreddit after it has been quarantined, but if there was a sub the admins would make an exception for it would almost certainly be r/the_donald.) The mods refused and basically told the admins "what are you going to do about it?" Well, yesterday we found out: the admins removed half the mod team from r/the_donald and stickied a call for new mods. They laid out these requirements:

quote:

We recently removed a number of mods from r/the_donald that were approving, stickying, and generally supporting content in this subreddit that breaks our content policy. We recognize that the remaining mod team will need additional help moderating, so we’re here today to help them recruit new moderators. We’ll be vetting applications according to the qualifications below, and providing the approved list to the current mods, who will choose which of the approved applicants they want to add to the team.

To qualify, you must:
  • Be in good standing with our Safety team (e.g. no account suspensions in past year)
  • Have at least 1000 total karma
  • Have at least 500 karma in the_donald
  • Not have more than 500 karma in quarantined subreddits (aside from the_donald) or subreddits banned for rule violations (not including communities banned for being unmodded)
  • Have at least 1 month experience moderating a subreddit in good standing
  • Not be an alt of any ineligible accounts
If you are interested in becoming a mod, please comment below sharing how you would help r/the_donald abide by Reddit’s content policy. The deadline for applications is 4pm PST Thursday, at which point this post will be locked.

To summarize: if you want to be a new mod you need to be an active participant on Reddit, be an active participant on r/the_donald, not be an active participant in any other quarantined or banned sub (:lol:), and have previously been the mod of a subreddit (any subreddit) for at least 1 month. That rule about not being active on any other quarantined or banned sub will almost certainly eliminate 99% of candidates.

The remaining mods of r/the_donald are pissed about this and are all taking turns un-stickying the admin announcement and getting de-modded themselves. You can read more about this on r/subredditdrama: thread 1, thread 2.

(You might be asking yourselves: why doesn't r/the_donald de-camp for a more suitable site? Well, they tried that. A few years ago they tried to move to Voat, the premier reddit alternative for people who get banned from reddit for being too toxic. It turns out Voat users weren't receptive to r/the_donald users either! Their main problems were that r/the_donald users weren't racist, sexist, or anti-semitic enough for their tastes. Also, they did not appreciate the modding style of the r/the_donald moderators who will delete everything that's not pure praise for Trump; it turns out Voat users actually care about their pure-strain "free speech" ideals and chafe when a community tries to censor them.)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So basically Voat is probably pissed Trump isn’t racist or hateful enough, which the reddit mods would see as being unfaithful to The Don. I love when terrible people aren’t fanatic enough about each other’s specific hills to die on and rip each other up

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

You missed the best one. The previous picture is of Charing Cross. With two near identical shots, but with only a handful of people clearly visible on the modern shot and the caption "Living and breathing versus dilapidated and dying."

What's hilarious is that it's Charing Cross. An incredibly busy rail station right by Trafalger square that serves 30 million passengers per year. To get a street shot that empty in daylight the photographer must have had to take it early on a Sunday morning or a public holiday. Also it's not even that empty, expand the picture and you'll see there's a couple of dozen people in the shot, but they're mostly blending into the railings on a small screen.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mr.Radar posted:

Over on Reddit, r/the_donald is in a slow-motion meltdown.

For what might have been a minor bit of context surrounding this whole thing; The_Donald had been trying to skirt its quarentine by pairing up with several other similar subreddits (with similar The_"Whatever" name schemes and staff mostly composed of The_Donald users) and they linked one another and were very openly bigoted. Since The_Donald was not only quarantined but basically nothing it posted could leave its little bubble, its users were starting to use the other subreddits to push their bullshit to other places. About a week ago one of them in particular, "The_Europe" began to leak when a bunch of its topics flooded the main page of Reddit if you sorted under Controversial (this happened because other people went in and called them nazis, and they downvoted those people so hard it topped the charts), and so everyone else could see the hilariously racist garbage these people were propagating. Notable was a literal conspiracy theory board of jpegs about jews in the media with an entire subreddit staff proudly proclaiming its self to be anti-semetic.

In either case the users of The_Donald seem to think being mad enough to make their own lovely website and stop using reddit is an actual threat to literally anyone.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

321 votes

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I loving knew it.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Jippa posted:

I loving knew it.

he was mad about the ingratitude of Facebook users

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

he was mad about the ingratitude of Facebook users

People are still spreading those chain messages around? Those were already cliched in the 90s when they were email chains. :psyduck:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Picnic Princess posted:

I once saw a guy on Facebook say we need to remove trees from cities because they actually make cities hotter rather than cooler because of water vapour's heat capacity properties or some dumb poo poo and hundreds of people were trying to tell him it's the opposite, plus they offer shade but he would not relent. It was a few years ago so I don't feel like hunting it down, but he bunkered down for days.

Trees have a moderating effect, keeping temperatures down during the day and preventing them from dropping quite as low at night.

Maybe he’s a vampire.

Brawnfire posted:

Being aware as I am of the visceral nature of the female experience, I mandate all bathrooms have a floor sink with a hand sprayer and at LEAST a gallon of freely-available sanitizing liquid

You should apply to NASA.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Mr.Radar posted:

To summarize: if you want to be a new mod you need to be an active participant on Reddit, be an active participant on r/the_donald, not be an active participant in any other quarantined or banned sub (:lol:), and have previously been the mod of a subreddit (any subreddit) for at least 1 month. That rule about not being active on any other quarantined or banned sub will almost certainly eliminate 99% of candidates.

If it makes you feel better, I'm sure they will ignore a rule to make someone a mod if its convenient for them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah the head moderator of KotakuInAction shut it down and the Reddit admins resurrected it.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Alright I'll bite, why are they doing this ridiculous work around to kill the subforum instead of just deleting it and banning everyone involved outright?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beartaco posted:

Alright I'll bite, why are they doing this ridiculous work around to kill the subforum instead of just deleting it and banning everyone involved outright?

They’re cowards.

They’re the Bobs from Office Space who “fix the glitch” in payroll rather than firing Milton. When they do have to fire someone, they do it on a Friday.

The Reddit administrators apologised to the guy who ran /r/jailbait and its ilk, their good friend ViolentAcrez.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/SanaSaeed/status/1233045826051727360

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

T-man posted:

this is why im a trans supremacist, cis people were born into gender, trans people earned theirs through having to deal with cis people all the time (braver than the troops)

*transphobane voice* you merely adopted the gender, T-man. we were born in it, molded by it!

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Platystemon posted:

They’re cowards.

They’re the Bobs from Office Space who “fix the glitch” in payroll rather than firing Milton. When they do have to fire someone, they do it on a Friday.

The Reddit administrators apologised to the guy who ran /r/jailbait and its ilk, their good friend ViolentAcrez.

It's this. They don't want to look like they're "taking sides" on Trump (and probably support him themselves, or at least supported him during 2016, because they're libertarians) so they've given the sub much more leeway than it deserved. Even given that leeway the users and mods of r/the_donald just couldn't help themselves and kept pushing the boundaries, however, so the Reddit admins eventually got fed up enough with them to take action. As I said the admins gave the sub a way out (enforce the rules just enough to make it look like they're trying) but they couldn't/wouldn't even do that.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

T-man posted:

and if you think "im totally cis but i sure am annoyed about cis people a lot" you may want to think about things, same if you have a lot of trans friends who don't hate you or you find yourself in trans spaces a lot, and if they complain about cis people to you welcome to the fam

Why would you do this to me

I feel increasingly that my actual gender is "eh, checking the F box is close enough I guess."

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

RoboRodent posted:

Why would you do this to me

I feel increasingly that my actual gender is "eh, checking the F box is close enough I guess."

:hmmyes:

The classic 'am I unaware of my gender identity because it is too solid to question, or because it is too nebulous to exist'?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
the_donald is one reason why the main German speaking area sub used to switch to dialect whenever a thread hit the front page. Google translate can't deal with dialect at all and any popular thread would always have tons of trumpets descend upon it and you'd get anglophones have their stupid slap fights there.

The thing with trumpets and Voat is this: the_donald is extremely heavily moderated. If you look like you are criticising you are banned immediately. They cannot deal with any dissent, but Voat is built by free speech fundamentalists. When they tried to move to voat everyone was making GBS threads on them and they just. can't. deal.

The most amazing thing though was when they tried to "meme" Le Pen during the French election. They used Google Translate to post support in a subreddit of their own creation, so there were yanks pretending to be French, posting machine translated gibberish into an otherwise empty void. When they went to the French speaking part of Reddit they were mercilessly mocked.

You could populate this thread for years just with the insane dumb garbage they did. Idiots for days, nay, years.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

YggiDee posted:

:hmmyes:

The classic 'am I unaware of my gender identity because it is too solid to question, or because it is too nebulous to exist'?

If I figure that out, I'll let you know.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Lol at the antivax emoji name

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I don't think I can ever be taught how to read Twitter threads.

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Antigravitas posted:

You could populate this thread for years just with the insane dumb garbage they did. Idiots for days, nay, years.

I would read this thread if someone made it, it looked it if it already exists. Or just post more stuff in this thread, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I thought a big reason why The_Donald got quarantined is because they kept harassing other subreddits with their racist alt right bullshit or something?