Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Uthor posted:

, what's a good replacement?

Nvidia Shield TV would handle all that fantastically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Almost everyone using an htpc should just be using a Shield TV nowadays.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've got the red button on my harmony set up to go to Kodi from wherever I am on my Shield and the blue button to go to the YouTube app from wherever I am on my Shield.

It's pretty glorious.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

I've got the red button on my harmony set up to go to Kodi from wherever I am on my Shield and the blue button to go to the YouTube app from wherever I am on my Shield.

It's pretty glorious.

Tell me more, this sounds neat.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EC posted:

Tell me more, this sounds neat.

I'm on my phone so not real detailed, but Kodi is pinned to the first spot on top row of the home screen and YT is second spot.

Pressing home twice always takes you to first spot on top row of the home screen.

So, you just set up a sequence to press home twice and select to go to Kodi. Add a right button press in there to go to YT.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

I'm on my phone so not real detailed, but Kodi is pinned to the first spot on top row of the home screen and YT is second spot.

Pressing home twice always takes you to first spot on top row of the home screen.

So, you just set up a sequence to press home twice and select to go to Kodi. Add a right button press in there to go to YT.

Oh that's cool, I didn't realize pressing home did that. Thanks for the tip!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've never played games on my Shield TVs besides emulators but today I decided to try some of these games in the Nvidia Games app that says "Free with SHIELD".

So, I try to open up Tomb Raider and it says I'm not a Geforce Now member and I have to request access to the beta.

That...seems kinda weird. If it's free with the device it seems odd to not let me play it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Since this seems to be the defacto Nvidia shield TV thread can someone tell me if it supports usb hubs? And is there an app that can play back music off of a local usb hard drive?

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

Since this seems to be the defacto Nvidia shield TV thread can someone tell me if it supports usb hubs? And is there an app that can play back music off of a local usb hard drive?

It does indeed support USB hubs.

As for local music playback.. VLC has an official Android TV version right in the play store. That should do it.

Also, the Shield can be a local plex server... so you can set that up, have it scan the music and then use Plex to play the music.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Does Plex come preinstalled? I dont remember. It should. Everyone should use Plex if you have your own local media

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Does anyone have any suggestions for USB switching in an AV rack? Not directly thread relevant but I figure the HTPC crowd are the most likely to have played around with this idea.

Right now I have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse pair and I manually move the receiver between my HTPC, Steam Link, and game consoles as needed. Likewise for moving various gamepads between PC and their official systems. I'm hoping to find some kind of switch box that either supports infrared remote control that I could set up with my Harmony or some sort of USB/serial control so I could just have my home automation system manage it.

Ideally this would be just a dumb switch as far as the USB side of things goes, I've considered just putting a KVM switch between the hosts and the receiver but that's a lot of theoretically unnecessary cost plus a lot of KVM switches fiddle with the traffic in an attempt to make the hosts think the keyboard/mouse never left, and that can interfere with gaming peripherals. I'd rather both the hosts and devices see it as if I had just unplugged a hub from one device and plugged it in to another.

My minimum requirements are four upstream ports and one downstream, USB 2.0. USB 3.x, multiple downstream ports, and more upstream ports would all be nice but not necessary.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 3, 2019

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I got a new receiver (Denon VR-X3500H), and now everything including my shield plugs into that, and then it's connected to the TV. At some point, I started noticing I'm getting what I assume is "judder." If the camera is panning over still images they look like they're vibrating or something. I don't know really know where to start troubleshooting: the receiver, the shield, or kodi. Any tips?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EC posted:

I got a new receiver (Denon VR-X3500H), and now everything including my shield plugs into that, and then it's connected to the TV. At some point, I started noticing I'm getting what I assume is "judder." If the camera is panning over still images they look like they're vibrating or something. I don't know really know where to start troubleshooting: the receiver, the shield, or kodi. Any tips?

Sounds like you're watching (for example) 24fps content on a display refreshing at 60hz. You'll need to make sure Kodi is set to adjust refresh rate. I can't recall off hand if there's also a shield setting for this and I'm not where I can check.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

wolrah posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for USB switching in an AV rack? Not directly thread relevant but I figure the HTPC crowd are the most likely to have played around with this idea.

Right now I have a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse pair and I manually move the receiver between my HTPC, Steam Link, and game consoles as needed. Likewise for moving various gamepads between PC and their official systems. I'm hoping to find some kind of switch box that either supports infrared remote control that I could set up with my Harmony or some sort of USB/serial control so I could just have my home automation system manage it.

Ideally this would be just a dumb switch as far as the USB side of things goes, I've considered just putting a KVM switch between the hosts and the receiver but that's a lot of theoretically unnecessary cost plus a lot of KVM switches fiddle with the traffic in an attempt to make the hosts think the keyboard/mouse never left, and that can interfere with gaming peripherals. I'd rather both the hosts and devices see it as if I had just unplugged a hub from one device and plugged it in to another.

My minimum requirements are four upstream ports and one downstream, USB 2.0. USB 3.x, multiple downstream ports, and more upstream ports would all be nice but not necessary.

The only things I'm aware of are expensive, enterprise level equipment. Otherwise you are making one of the compromises you probably don't want to make. https://www.electrostandards.com/304507-4507-usb-type-a-a-b-c-switch-remote-187.html because anything with RS232 controls is automatically pro grade.

AnywhereUSB will do it no problem but expects a PC on both ends, won't work with consoles or closed system boxes. Anything built as a KVM will be as you report, though those are almost guaranteed to come with easy hotkeys to switch from the keyboard.

Rosewill makes something close, but AFAIK it only supports a physical "remote" that works via pushbutton: https://www.rosewill.com/product/rcus-17002-4-computer-4-port-usb-2-0-peripheral-sharing-switch/ However if you know what you're doing I suspect you could do some funky poo poo since the remote is NOT hardwired and instead connects via 3.5mm jack...

edit: The "Hardware Questions that Don't Deserve Their Own Thread" in SH/SC is likely a better place to ask, it's a lot more active and I'm not sure this is super specific to HTPCs

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 3, 2019

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Thermopyle posted:

Sounds like you're watching (for example) 24fps content on a display refreshing at 60hz. You'll need to make sure Kodi is set to adjust refresh rate. I can't recall off hand if there's also a shield setting for this and I'm not where I can check.

Kodi has the "adjust display refresh rate" option enabled, and I tried turning on the "sync playback to display" option on and that didn't change anything. I also tried disabling the refresh rate thing and it didn't change anything either.

I don't see anything in the Shield settings about it except for resolutions, which is set to the same thing as Kodi (4k 59.94) which should be correct for my TV (and LG C8).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EC posted:

Kodi has the "adjust display refresh rate" option enabled, and I tried turning on the "sync playback to display" option on and that didn't change anything. I also tried disabling the refresh rate thing and it didn't change anything either.

I don't see anything in the Shield settings about it except for resolutions, which is set to the same thing as Kodi (4k 59.94) which should be correct for my TV (and LG C8).

Does your TV have an option to show it's refresh rate while playing a video? That'll tell you for sure if this is the problem you're seeing.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I have to say, the Roku ultra is pretty delightful as a Plex client so far.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

EC posted:

I've had similar since getting a 6 series TCL, it's seemed like turning off the Denon voice sync has helped me. Everything was fine with the old TV. I turned off everything video related on the denon avr and it's better.

Edit: seems that turning off lip sync on the avr did it at least so far

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 7, 2019

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Got the new Shield TV pro for Christmas, already had a gamepad. A+ would ask for again.

The 5 year is laughing her head off at goat simulator, .99c well spent!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Thermopyle posted:

I've never played games on my Shield TVs besides emulators but today I decided to try some of these games in the Nvidia Games app that says "Free with SHIELD".

So, I try to open up Tomb Raider and it says I'm not a Geforce Now member and I have to request access to the beta.

That...seems kinda weird. If it's free with the device it seems odd to not let me play it.

I just figured this out, you can get signed up here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/rewards/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

devmd01 posted:

I just figured this out, you can get signed up here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/rewards/

Oh sweet that works. Thanks!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I am using a Shield 4K, dual shock 3/4 and my TV is set to game mode, still my NES and SNES games in Retroarch lag to the point of being almost unplayable. Is there some secret setting I've missed?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've had 0 issues with RA on my Shield

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

evobatman posted:

I am using a Shield 4K, dual shock 3/4 and my TV is set to game mode, still my NES and SNES games in Retroarch lag to the point of being almost unplayable. Is there some secret setting I've missed?

Use a hardwired controller via USB to rule out Bluetooth lag. I had a similar experience and had to switch to a 360 wireless controller instead.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Also try a different core in RA. I had weird performance issues with some of the cores on my original Shield.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I got the bundle with the controller so that's all I've used, haven't tried Xbox.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Kodi on a Shield as of late won't download subtitles that persist. I've read that since Leia, it can't write to external file shares to actually save a file alongside the video in its folder on the file share, a Server 2012 R2 SMB share.

Telling Kodi to save subs to a custom folder doesn't fix the problem either. They download to inside Kodi storage but are just named as number strings.

Anybody know what I mean? Better yet, is there a work around?

I assure you it is not the share/permissions/etc.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Tapedump posted:

Kodi on a Shield as of late won't download subtitles that persist. I've read that since Leia, it can't write to external file shares to actually save a file alongside the video in its folder on the file share, a Server 2012 R2 SMB share.

Telling Kodi to save subs to a custom folder doesn't fix the problem either. They download to inside Kodi storage but are just named as number strings.

Anybody know what I mean? Better yet, is there a work around?

I assure you it is not the share/permissions/etc.

I don't really know what your problem is, but just so you know it can work fine. I download subs all the time through Kodi and it saves them to my NAS next to shows/movies just fine.

I swear as I've gotten older it's harder and harder to understand all the dialogue in tv/movies, so I'm always downloading subs.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Now that Windows Media Center no longer supporting guides for OTA content, are there any good frontends that do for free? Probably gonna subscribe to Plex but I thought maybe I'm overlooking an alternative. I don't care about local media.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Channels might be what you're looking for

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Photex posted:

Channels might be what you're looking for

What is that? I'm having trouble googling it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Now that Windows Media Center no longer supporting guides for OTA content, are there any good frontends that do for free? Probably gonna subscribe to Plex but I thought maybe I'm overlooking an alternative. I don't care about local media.

Just one anecdote but I tried doing this exact migration for my dad, got an approved receiver and Plex pass and on the old wmc PC Plex just completely failed to recognize the receiver (hauppauge USB wintv), total waste of money

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Jenny Agutter posted:

Just one anecdote but I tried doing this exact migration for my dad, got an approved receiver and Plex pass and on the old wmc PC Plex just completely failed to recognize the receiver (hauppauge USB wintv), total waste of money

Thanks for the ominous premonition. Any recommended alternatives?

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

What is that? I'm having trouble googling it.

https://getchannels.com/

Requires hdhomerun

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So I decided to take the thread titles advice and build a HTPC...

I have an old 4690K / GTX970 sitting around I plan on using for a HTPC. I digitized all my movies and TV series locally and I've always used plex to stream to a max of 4 devices. Would I be better off just getting a shield tv pro so wouldn't waste so much power? The only negatives I know about the shield is that USB becomes bottleneck at some point as far as streaming from local storage.

But seriously is there a box I can put together for under 400 bucks that will drastically reduce my power consumption and outperform a shield TV?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

maniacripper posted:

So I decided to take the thread titles advice and build a HTPC...

I have an old 4690K / GTX970 sitting around I plan on using for a HTPC. I digitized all my movies and TV series locally and I've always used plex to stream to a max of 4 devices. Would I be better off just getting a shield tv pro so wouldn't waste so much power? The only negatives I know about the shield is that USB becomes bottleneck at some point as far as streaming from local storage.

But seriously is there a box I can put together for under 400 bucks that will drastically reduce my power consumption and outperform a shield TV?

The less painful solution is to like, sell your hardware, buy a shield for the Plex server and an NAS for media storage, connected over Ethernet.

I think the Shield may be a little bit overkill for this if you want to save the $200 or whatever it is now (and you’re not casting like 4K Blu-ray rips). I have a Synology DS218+ and a chromecast on the tv. Plex is running on the NAS and gets cast to the tv from phones. Running, I believe this uses about 30W. I only have a 1080p TV though, so maybe that’s why it works so well.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm unimpressed with load times for content with my old Buffalo Shitstation. But $250 for any kind of upgrade is painful man

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hoping this is the appropriate thread for a technical issue I'm having. Homebrew HTPC with a Radeon 5450 in it. Connecting direct via HDMI to my TCL tv, everything is great. Running the HDMI cable from the PC through my new receiver, Yamaha RX-V485, it does not detect a signal at all. I've tried all the various ports on the receiver without any luck, though the receiver works fine with every other input I throw at it.

It's not the end of the world because I can just loop the audio from the tv to the receiver with an optical cable but it feels a bit clunky, I'd ideally like to have everything on the HDMI-ARC input of the tv.

Tried googling it a bit and some people with similar issues said to make sure passthrough was enabled on the receiver but if it's an option I sure don't see it.

Thanks for any tips!

e: it was cables. The cable worked fine for a direct connection to the tv but not the receiver for some reason, once I swapped in another cable (from the PS3), everything worked fine. Oddly enough, putting that problematic cable on the PS3 was no problem, it still worked fine connecting to the receiver. :iiam:

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jan 5, 2020

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Thermopyle posted:

Almost everyone using an htpc should just be using a Shield TV nowadays.

Can't remember where I made my post rambling about how I wanted a Shield TV but was trying to be a cheap Yorkshireman about it... Point is I bought one of those TV attached rocketships.

In short: If you think you want one, DO get one. I've had a HTPC, WD TV, RPi with RasPlex, Chromecast, Nexus Player... this thing is FAST even compared to all of those new. Honestly this alone could make the case for one.

Frankly though, you get the clean, ad-free interface (unlike the FireTV) and minimal nonsense of Android TV, all the major services (inc. Prime Video), controlled by everything, and very relevantly these days, h265!

Now, for a further tip. If you've had a Chromecast you'll quickly become adicted to it's photos from you Google Photos being used as a screensaver. Android TV still doesn't do this natively. Some Googling later, I found this daydream compatible app to step in as your screensaver, fully customisable with Google Photos, Facebook etc photos (and some public sources). Certainly worth the Rewards credit I spent on it: http://photoscreensaver.furnaghan.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
If I get an Nvidia Shield TV mainly for Plex, will I need to subscribe? Currently I just stream to a chromecast through my phone from a couple of different Plex servers.