Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

BGrifter posted:

Bummed to see Ethan go, but as long as it’s not Parv I’m good. Might even help long term having Ethan on the edge feeding Parv advantages much like I hoped could happen with Ambuh/Rob.

I’m not sure how I feel about Ethan in that spot. Seems highly likely a tribe swap is coming soon, maybe even next episode. Gives Parv and Rob an opportunity to recruit some new allies and get back on top. Hopefully when the season is over everyone looks back on this episode as the missed opportunity to take down Parv or Rob.

She can only get so many advantages though, since they cost a token.

I really like Adam but man, that was not a good episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Apparently word from Michelle/Jeremy's watch party is that Michelle wanted to work with Parvati, and Jeremy wanted to work with Rob. So yeah, RIP Ethan.

Also there was apparently a thing where every morning Ethan would offer the leftover burnt rice after breakfast to Rob, and that made Jeremy think that Ethan would never betray Rob, so he had to go. Which is kinda funny.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also there was apparently a thing where every morning Ethan would offer the leftover burnt rice after breakfast to Rob, and that made Jeremy think that Ethan would never betray Rob, so he had to go. Which is kinda funny.

Rob's preference for crispy burnt rice over regular rice has been a funny recurring subplot over these last few decades

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If it makes him feel any better, Adam's biggest mistake this episode is one that many, many others have made over the years. It might have sent more people to the Survivor graveyard than any other single sin, but it's a mistake that's so easy to make, it just keeps happening;

He thought he was closer to Boston Rob than he actually was.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I was howling with laughter when Tony and Sarah were plotting the Sele torch heist.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Apparently word from Michelle/Jeremy's watch party is that Michelle wanted to work with Parvati, and Jeremy wanted to work with Rob. So yeah, RIP Ethan.

"We need to get rid of Adam, he's trying to play both sides" say the people in the new school alliance secretly hoping to work with Rob and Parv. WTF.

It's so strange that everyone imagines keeping Rob around will be good for them individually since he's a bigger target. Also shocking they (esp Adam) aren't sitting around talking about Rob's "greatest hits" including backstabbing his closest ally (Lex etc), taking goats to the end to increase his chances of winning, and enforcing the 'buddy system' so his allies weren't allowed to talk strategy without him.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Last night's episode was the definition of overthinking. Like, to weaken Rob you just vote him out. Rob is like Yoda this season. People forget he's this amazing lightsaber duelist and when someone speaks his name he reluctantly switches it on, does his thing, and goes right back to being chill.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I imagine Rob and Parvati haven't exactly been idle. They know that the Old School bloc is in the minority, so I wouldn't be surprised if they've been making bonds with the swing votes.

I mean they should still cut those two loose sooner rather than later because these guys are there for a reason; one has a giant statue of himself and the other is namedropped as someone that every female thinks they are every season.

nerox
May 20, 2001
It was smart of the four to ice out Adam from the vote change to show him that he couldn't play both sides cause he isn't needed for the numbers.

I guess they are afraid Rob has some advantage since Amber is on EoE and Jeremy knows that Natalie sent him an advantage? Otherwise, why not get Rob out now?

Lastly, Natalie is killing it on EoE and Amber and Danni are clueless.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I'm liking Rob being put on the back foot and getting pissy at what Adam says

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I said this about Adam in the thread the last time he played and it still stands.

quote:

He has ideas about how to endear others to him, but no idea how to execute them.

It's like he heard someone on Rob Has a Podcast say "use an in-game advantage to gain trust" and used it on the one guy that hates him most.

Then later he gave the advantage away for no reason!

He gave back Denise's idol half and she doesn't like him any more because of it. He's playing like he's a mastermind but he doesn't have the charisma for it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Binary Logic posted:

"We need to get rid of Adam, he's trying to play both sides" say the people in the new school alliance secretly hoping to work with Rob and Parv. WTF.

secretly being the key word there

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Also Denise wanted to share her idol with Parv so that's why she was likely more amenable to an Ethan vote.

Wish I could live poo poo post with you goons but AEW Dynamite is on at the same time and it's the best wrestling of all time, so I watch that live and catch Survivor on the DVR after, also pinball league is on every other Wednesday so it's my busiest night!

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
This season continues to be great, despite losing someone that none of us wanted to lose (preview spoiler) and hopefully he's okay on EoE, preview made it look like he was having some health issue.

I do think it's pretty insane that they're fixating so much on weakening Rob, when he's clearly at a numbers disadvantage so you can really just pick him off immediately. It's extra egregious because Jeremy presumably knows how EoE is working since he got that boon from Natalie so he has to know that Ambuh is going to send anything Rob's way (which costs 1 fire token of which he now obviously has 2, thus 2 advantages). He also has to know that if you send Ethan and Parv off, then they're likely going to have a rooting interest for Rob, who had their backs, so they're going to be feeding fire tokens AND advantages to him, so the more people you have out there on EoE who are your allies, the more likely you are to be accruing advantages!

It seems like some pretty logical dots to connect, if I were Jeremy, but I guess maybe he has his reasons why he's not taking that route - which we have to assume is that they're buddies from poker, and the edit just hasn't shown us that side of their relationship.

Another thing from Sele that's clear to me is that Adam is Bad At Survivor. I'm not really sure how anyone roots for him, since when he's a sympathetic figure he's very whiny and exudes weakness, and then when he tries to be "in control" he just comes off as a smarmy oval office like he did last night when he thought he has some galaxy brain strategy, that ended in him being the literal only vote for his plan which is the worst possible place you can be....caught between 2 alliances, neither of which think you're meaningful to their plans.

Tony is fuckin gold though for rubbing spit covered ash over Sarah's face for no reason. How dumb are these people?

Also I'm so glad that my winner pick, Natalie, is dominating EoE. I'm in this weird spot where I'm actually rooting for a possible EoE winner what is happening?

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean they should still cut those two loose sooner rather than later because these guys are there for a reason; one has a giant statue of himself and the other is namedropped as someone that every female thinks they are every season.

This argument seems insane to me honestly. Rob can explain the statue away in 2 seconds, by telling the EXACT conceit of s39. Tell your tribe-mates that hey so I'm someone who the franchise likes and Jeff likes and am a representative of the show, so they asked me to take this role on where I just sat on an island with tons of amenities and chilled for 36 days and got paid for it. That's why I'm there - because I make good TV quotes - because it took me 4 times to win, and Sandra was there because she won twice in two attempts so she's the player and I'm the "character".

And for Parvati, I feel like that is a bit out-dated, particularly for her since she's an admitted different person now. Of COURSE every young female player is going to use her as a role model. Let's take a look at the female winners prior to her:

1) Tina, older woman, mother - un-relatable to many of the young models/actors that get recruited for the show
2) Vecepia - a blase winner who was overshadowed on her season by basically every other character, not famous
3) Jenna - I think she could be someone people would relate themselves to, but she and Heidi had a bit of a stain from the whole PB thing.
4) Sandra - just like Tina, older and a mother - though many DO compare themselves to Sandra (which is why she's often a threat)
5) Amber - Obviously nobody wants to play like Amber, she's bad at Survivor.
6) Danni - Completely invisible game from the edit, which she said she did intentionally. Many people compare themselves to her Guatemala opponent, Stephanie, who played a more visible game, despite being unlikable.

So that's all of the female winners leading up to Parvati's win, soon after which Survivor went into those dark years that weren't great, so you can see why everyone wanted to compare themselves to the big game playing, attractive, smart, successful winner. I mean even after her the next female winners were Natalie White and Sophie, neither of whom played games that are flashy enough to want to compare yourself to it in order to get a spot on the show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Adam: Its impossible to betray someone without pissing anyone off. Or is it?
Adam proceeds to piss everyone off.
:chef:

I think it was a good play by Michelle, Jeremy, and Co. Its the old "things have gotten too messy so lets take out the one least likely to play an idol" move. And cut Adam out if only because he's already betrayed you once this round, why give him a chance to do it a second time? It completely makes sense for them all to be annoyed at Adam. He was trying to snake them all to better his own game position. If it had worked, fine, great, good move. But it didn't so he's a backstabbing snake with no friends. That's Survivor.

Sad to see Ethan go. Would have probably preferred to see Adam suffer for his mistakes. But it weakens Rob/Parv and puts them more on their heels to play more, so that could be fun. I'm sad about Ethan but he wasn't gonna win anyway. He was always doomed to go one of two ways, as the nice guy no one wanted to face against the jury or the soft target next to bigger targets.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SweetJahasus posted:

And for Parvati, I feel like that is a bit out-dated, particularly for her since she's an admitted different person now. Of COURSE every young female player is going to use her as a role model. Let's take a look at the female winners prior to her:

I haven't noticed players themselves calling themselves the Parv of their seasons, so much as it is when dudes in any season get together and point fingers at a woman and call her the PArv so they can get her out. Seems more like a label threatened dudes use more than the women who get labelled with it do.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Khanstant posted:

I haven't noticed players themselves calling themselves the Parv of their seasons, so much as it is when dudes in any season get together and point fingers at a woman and call her the PArv so they can get her out. Seems more like a label threatened dudes use more than the women who get labelled with it do.

in the pre game interviews/bios, it was like a 40+ percent hit rate that a woman would answer Parvati to "which previous Survivor are you most like"

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

STAC Goat posted:

Adam: Its impossible to betray someone without pissing anyone off. Or is it?
Adam proceeds to piss everyone off.
:chef:

I think it was a good play by Michelle, Jeremy, and Co. Its the old "things have gotten too messy so lets take out the one least likely to play an idol" move. And cut Adam out if only because he's already betrayed you once this round, why give him a chance to do it a second time? It completely makes sense for them all to be annoyed at Adam. He was trying to snake them all to better his own game position. If it had worked, fine, great, good move. But it didn't so he's a backstabbing snake with no friends. That's Survivor.

Sad to see Ethan go. Would have probably preferred to see Adam suffer for his mistakes. But it weakens Rob/Parv and puts them more on their heels to play more, so that could be fun. I'm sad about Ethan but he wasn't gonna win anyway. He was always doomed to go one of two ways, as the nice guy no one wanted to face against the jury or the soft target next to bigger targets.

Pretty much this, on both accounts. Nice play by the Michelle/Jeremy/Denise/Ben quartet, and just quintessential overplaying on Adam's part trying to solidify every single relationship, although I do have some level of appreciation for him at least trying to get one over on the heavy hitters.

The Boston Rob effect really is something else. Starstruckness/wanting to play with a legend and fear of going against the godfather no doubt play a role, but he's also an ideal shield amidst a Survivor climate where players of his obvious threat level seldom make it to the end. Still not a great reason to keep him around forever, but I would guess that factors into the decision to keep him around.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
The fact that everyone knows that Amber is on Edge and no one in the game has a clear understanding of what exactly is going on on Edge or how things work probably mean that people are (smartly, imo, even though we the viewers know he doesn't have anything at this point) assuming that Amber's been sending Rob poo poo and that he's got idols or advantages in his pocket. Like someone else mentioned I saw the Ethan vote as a move to try to flush an idol, it just turns out none of the targets had one.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Aerox posted:

The fact that everyone knows that Amber is on Edge and no one in the game has a clear understanding of what exactly is going on on Edge or how things work probably mean that people are (smartly, imo, even though we the viewers know he doesn't have anything at this point) assuming that Amber's been sending Rob poo poo and that he's got idols or advantages in his pocket. Like someone else mentioned I saw the Ethan vote as a move to try to flush an idol, it just turns out none of the targets had one.

This goes counter to my earlier point of how the more of your target's allies you vote out, the more poo poo they're likely to get from EoE. Jeremy knows that EoE can send players both fire tokens and things to buy them with, so he should know that with Rob now having 2 major allies there, that he's got a good chance of getting stuff send his way. Even more so if they send Parv.

It's created a weird ecosystem where you almost want to round robin off players so you can occasionally "unfortunately" lose someone who may be willing to send you or your allies a reward, as something like an idol could pay dividends that another in-game ally may not be able to pull off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Jeremy got an idol from Natalie so in his mind its probably a decent chance Rob has one. That helps explain why he's not taking a direct shot at Rob and why when Adam ratted out the Parv move they shifted to Ethan with the hopes that if Rob used said hypothetical idol it would be on Parv or himself. Now that he didn't play an idol maybe you say he doesn't have one, or maybe you wonder if he just would only use it if he felt he was in danger himself.

Yes, sending home his allies or Parv's allies means more tokens and potential advantages their way but there's not really much you can do about that. It just ends up making the next move more stressful and unknown. And yeah, it might make you more willing to let an ally go in hopes of getting a token/advantage but that's kind of the sort of "i can puppet master this" overthinking Adam was guilty of.

nerox
May 20, 2001
How long is Jeremy's "Not going to tribal" idol good for? Did it have an expiration?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'm curious when it would be good to use it, outside of if you have good reason to think you're up on the block. Wonky idol.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Could save you if it was a tied vote scenario so you wouldn't be up for a revote. But that would have to be a really cutthroat move that would make enemies. It can be a tough idol since like you gotta use it in a spot where none of your allies get mad you're hurting them by taking away a vote. Its gotta be a clear "we're hosed" week or really good read of a blindside.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

nerox posted:

How long is Jeremy's "Not going to tribal" idol good for? Did it have an expiration?

I don’t remember the wording but I hope it doesn’t trigger that early. Can you imagine the beautiful chaos of Jeff saying “it’s time to vote” then Jeremy just stands up and walks out?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Khanstant posted:

I'm curious when it would be good to use it, outside of if you have good reason to think you're up on the block. Wonky idol.

I kinda feel like the merge i the riskiest vote, so you just use it there.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I can't remember the wording of it -- can he play it any time at Tribal and just leave, or does he have to play it before they even go to Tribal and he misses the whole thing?

If it's the former, the dream comedy scenario is that Sarah steals his vote and then he walks out, nullifying her stolen vote.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Pinterest Mom posted:

I kinda feel like the merge i the riskiest vote, so you just use it there.

Makes sense, but I’m not sure how you do it without blowing up your game in the process. I can’t imagine a merge alliance being cool with losing a vote and leaving everyone stuck behind to bear the risk.

I’m having a hard time imagining how it gets played as anything but a desperation move from the bottom to survive one more week. Maybe a situation where a tribe swap puts him massively down in the numbers and he just needs to get through a week to the merge?

It’s a clever design with a ton of potential to backfire spectacularly.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

BGrifter posted:

Makes sense, but I’m not sure how you do it without blowing up your game in the process. I can’t imagine a merge alliance being cool with losing a vote and leaving everyone stuck behind to bear the risk.

I’m having a hard time imagining how it gets played as anything but a desperation move from the bottom to survive one more week. Maybe a situation where a tribe swap puts him massively down in the numbers and he just needs to get through a week to the merge?

It’s a clever design with a ton of potential to backfire spectacularly.

I guess I could also see a rare scenario in which you're down to you and one other alliance member with one idol between you and instead of going with a 50/50 guess of playing right or losing in a vote split anyway you guarantee an idol block and force the majority to turn on each other or take one of them out.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I like when Adam was saying his gameplay is historically stupid, but it may work for him.

Then almost immediately finds out it doesn't work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Rob still not being voted out after beefing two challenges and being Boston Rob is hilarious

These people deserve what they're gonna get

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

precision posted:

Rob still not being voted out after beefing two challenges and being Boston Rob is hilarious

These people deserve what they're gonna get

ah but you see everybody wants to vote out Rob so why not keep him around for a while so HE CAN WIN ANOTHER drat SURVIVOR YOU DUMMIES JUST VOTE HIM OUT.

Having morons for allies is infuriating (welcome to the Democratic Party).

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Boston Rob taking total control and making this look like Redemption Island 2.0 might be the funniest and most entertaining possible outcome. Just an entire season of Rob clowning on all the other winners.

It would expose so many winners as frauds.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Adam isn't bad at Survivor. Or rather, it's clear that he easily could be good at Survivor. The dude went from nearly being a first boot to being a central figure trusted by nearly everyone in his tribe. You can tell just from the tone of Rob's confessional last night that he actually wasn't expecting this from Adam and wasn't looking to do anything to him until he talked about voting out Parvati. All he had to do was blindside Parvati and explain/ask forgiveness from her allies later. He had good enough relationships with them that they might have looked past it, and if not, he had the numbers. But he wanted it all.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Spergatory posted:

Adam isn't bad at Survivor. Or rather, it's clear that he easily could be good at Survivor. The dude went from nearly being a first boot to being a central figure trusted by nearly everyone in his tribe.

You're forgetting that he then was isolated and trusted by literally nobody, including Denise. He's bad at survivor.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Somebody remind me again how he managed to win a season?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

BGrifter posted:

Boston Rob taking total control and making this look like Redemption Island 2.0 might be the funniest and most entertaining possible outcome. Just an entire season of Rob clowning on all the other winners.

It would expose so many winners as frauds.

it would definitely kill the "rob isn't actually very good and only won RI because he was surrounded by goats" argument. i really don't understand how he's still here.

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

Im definitely team Rob and Parv. Two and the best and most entertaining to ever to play. I would at least like see them post merge.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

SweetJahasus posted:

You're forgetting that he then was isolated and trusted by literally nobody, including Denise. He's bad at survivor.

Yes, because he did a dumb thing. Many Survivor players couldn't even get into that position to screw it up. You can learn not to make stupid mistakes, but it's a lot harder to learn to make people trust and like you, which everyone did until this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Lord Bude posted:

Somebody remind me again how he managed to win a season?

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is a millionaire