Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I want to start a HE ME campaign. Should I choose Teclis or Alarielle? I like having all the magic and love Teclis' access to all the passives. But his start can be a pain. I haven't really tried Alarielle, though. I just hate the idea of my first 20 turns being mirror matches like with Tyrion.

Alith Anar is an option, I suppose, but his start also sucks and he doesn't get cool magic.

Also, if I choose Teclis how viable is to relocate to the Old World? I was thinking of taking Sartosa early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Devorum posted:

Also, if I choose Teclis how viable is to relocate to the Old World? I was thinking of taking Sartosa early.

There's a mod you can get that lets you pick where you want to start, which is a lot easier than trying to conquer it right away. You lose your initial starting settlement, though.

If you want to go that route I would pick Alith Anar. He can settle wastelands which means you can dump him in the badlands and join the Orc-Skaven-Dwarf thunderdome if that appeals to you.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jamwad Hilder posted:

If you want to go that route I would pick Alith Anar. He can settle wastelands which means you can dump him in the badlands and join the Orc-Skaven-Dwarf thunderdome if that appeals to you.
This reminds me that I have wanted to play a ME game as Alith Anar where I just pick up and move to the Wastelands right off the bat just to do something completely different.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

This reminds me that I have wanted to play a ME game as Alith Anar where I just pick up and move to the Wastelands right off the bat just to do something completely different.

If you go the route where you use the mod to pick a new starting location it can be surprisingly difficult due to the sheer amount of orc factions that instantly dislike you and can throw tons of armies at you. It's similar to the dwarf start except your troops are less resilient and you lack good artillery support, but on the plus side ambush will help you even the odds a bit. I recommend giving it a shot, it's pretty fun.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

quote:

Alith Anar is an option, I suppose, but his start also sucks and he doesn't get cool magic.

Alith gets two bow nukes, shadow clones, perfect vigor/stalk/vanguard and Skaven passives on the campaign map for himself and every Lord in his faction(Underway, Ambush while Moving), he is crazy good.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Why is warhammer 1 so loving expensive? I just want to play mortal empires with a friend, but gently caress 60 dollars. When does it usually go on sale?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jamwad Hilder posted:

If you go the route where you use the mod to pick a new starting location it can be surprisingly difficult due to the sheer amount of orc factions that instantly dislike you and can throw tons of armies at you. It's similar to the dwarf start except your troops are less resilient and you lack good artillery support, but on the plus side ambush will help you even the odds a bit. I recommend giving it a shot, it's pretty fun.
I tend to not do a lot of mods because I've been burned too badly too many times by mods causing bugs, not getting updated after a patch, or something stupid and unbalanced gets baked in by the mod-maker because they're incapable of understanding the concept of "balance" so if I do it I'll be sailing over from Alith's normal start position, but that does sound very interesting....

Jarvisi posted:

Why is warhammer 1 so loving expensive? I just want to play mortal empires with a friend, but gently caress 60 dollars. When does it usually go on sale?
I've seen it go on sale fairly often for as much as 66% or maybe even 75% off.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

I tend to not do a lot of mods because I've been burned too badly too many times by mods causing bugs, not getting updated after a patch, or something stupid and unbalanced gets baked in by the mod-maker because they're incapable of understanding the concept of "balance" so if I do it I'll be sailing over from Alith's normal start position, but that does sound very interesting....

I don't think this one would break anything or cause bugs, especially if you don't use many mods. You lose your starting settlement and your lords starting army gets teleported to a settlement of your choice, which you get control of instantly. If you're a horde you just start at whatever spot you pick. The option to do this goes away after the first turn. I've found it to be a helpful mod for when I do gimmick campaigns because I get to start doing what I want to do immediately rather than spending the time building up and getting my lord to where I want him to be. Aside from the Alith Anar one I like starting as Warriors of Chaos on Ulthuan and wiping the elves off the map immediately, Gelt way down south in that dwarf settlement with the gold mine (near Queek/Kroq'gar), or a new world Greenskin start.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't think this one would break anything or cause bugs, especially if you don't use many mods. You lose your starting settlement and your lords starting army gets teleported to a settlement of your choice, which you get control of instantly. If you're a horde you just start at whatever spot you pick. The option to do this goes away after the first turn. I've found it to be a helpful mod for when I do gimmick campaigns because I get to start doing what I want to do immediately rather than spending the time building up and getting my lord to where I want him to be. Aside from the Alith Anar one I like starting as Warriors of Chaos on Ulthuan and wiping the elves off the map immediately, Gelt way down south in that dwarf settlement with the gold mine (near Queek/Kroq'gar), or a new world Greenskin start.

This might be cool to try out. Do you have the name or the link? I'm guessing you also use the instant quest items mod?

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

DarthRoblox posted:

After a few tries, I was just able to squeak out a win here - I followed the basic strategy I outlined, although I focused a cygor down first since they weren't advancing on me and I could get in range. This worked well, so I'd suggest deploying right up front and charging; the beastmen have a significant artillery advantage. I wound up just sending the thane+runelord up against the beastlord since the warriors got caught up, but they did just fine. They had no issues dealing with the lord and also managed to distract and later kill a cygor when it ran over to party.

The raiders were actually more of a problem than I thought they'd be since you have no chance of catching them with any of your units and even high leadership dwarf troops don't love being shot in the back for extended periods. Make sure that you're constantly checking for routed troops returning and sending them back in. At one point everything except my lords+grudge thrower were routed but everything came back in 15 seconds or so. I wound up trying to focus down any returning spears with my line troops and killing raiders with my remaining quarrellers. I was able to eventually able to get an army loss penalty rout with basically no melee troops left.. My grudge thrower was out of ammo maybe halfway through and quarrellers were all at 25% or less so yea - definitely a close fight, but winnable.

edit: And yea, they're just bog-standard miners - one did decently at taking care of the hounds while the other did a fine enough job at tying up some spears.

Good news! :siren: I finally got 'em this morning :siren: , feels good. Didn't record this one because I paused a lot but I did take some screenshots:

Initial lineup, like I said before, looked winnable enough but I couldn't crack it in like 4 attempts until this one, with everyone's help and a lot of stubbornness.

Didn't capture the initial formation but I basically put longbeards in the flank where the minos usually charge, miners right next and GW warriors in the center to hold the beastlord for my lords and do light damage. Runelord and Hero in the center ready to intercept any dangerous charges and kill the enemy lord. Quarrelers behind coordinating focus fire to melt minos first, then raiders and help break the line to reach the cygors.
I underestimated the raiders in the first few attempts, they're a poo poo unit but they're numerous and they're there the entire battle shooting... and shooting... and shooting, it adds up. Also they're the only thing you can reliably shoot at some points.

Longbeards held the right flank against the minotaurs.

Meanwhile in the center, Thane Snorri lulls the center minotaurs into a feeling of self confidence, while holding the minotaur charge effectively.

Cygors punch a huge hole in the left wing longbeards. I microed some dodges as best as I could but that rock got me good.

Expert charge defence working just fine, no really.

While the longbeards neuter the charge, 5 units of quarrelers pincushion the pinned minos on the right flank.

...causing a complete shatter, they won't be bothering us again.

Meanwhile on the left wing the ungors should be no problem.

This is fine :psydwarf:

The quarrelers shift their attention to the center minotaurs and prompty rout them as well

The longbeards on the right, now free, sneak through gaps in the line to support the center warriors and miners (thanks Zerkovich) and the remaining ungor lines fold.

Not pictured, the beastlord also died :shrug:

With the way clear and lots of ammo remaining, the cygors are the only remaining target for our crossbows.

Another grudge off the book.

Final battle report, didn't even pyrrhic :woop:

Now I got the entire province walled up so I finally should be fine to move on out.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Washin Tong fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 26, 2020

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Devorum posted:

This might be cool to try out. Do you have the name or the link? I'm guessing you also use the instant quest items mod?

I can't look it up at the moment but someone posted it in here a couple weeks (I think?) ago. I can update later if no one shares the link before I look it up.

I use that mod as well, yes. Not a fan of doing those quests even when I'm playing a more standard game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Washin Tong posted:

Good news! :siren: I finally got 'em this morning :siren: , feels good. Didn't record this one because I paused a lot but I did take some screenshots:

Now I got the entire province walled up so I finally should be fine to move on out.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Nice work!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The Dammaz Kron is lighter today. Great fighting and screenshots!

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

However some of them got away and did not pay the price for threatening dawi lands.

That’s going in the book.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Great battle report, feels like an old tabletop post.

I'm playing dwarves myself right now and watching the walls go up on the silver road is just killing me, especially since I let one of the lesser towns get razed earlier.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Zikan posted:

However some of them got away and did not pay the price for threatening dawi lands.

That’s going in the book.

Didn't run far enough.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The instant quest items mod is not updated and won't work with Malus, Sniktch, Repanse and the now-no-longer-hidden Dark and High Elf items (heart of avelorn, shadow crown, scroll of hoeth, armor of midnight, etc)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Someone uploaded an Instant Quest Items mod that does work with the new DLC because the original one wasn't being updated. I'll link that one too when I get a chance.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Devorum posted:

I want to start a HE ME campaign. Should I choose Teclis or Alarielle? I like having all the magic and love Teclis' access to all the passives. But his start can be a pain. I haven't really tried Alarielle, though. I just hate the idea of my first 20 turns being mirror matches like with Tyrion.

Start as Alarielle and make your campaign goal to re-integrate the Wood Elves at the point of a blade. They are just poor wayward souls. Baby eating wayward souls, but still!

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Devorum posted:

There's a mod that allows you to set the starting location to whatever if you want to use Tyrion but don't want to fight the Elven Hordes.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1929748031

it requires this mod installed / active to work:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1354363596

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Did that once without using any mods to get to the Baldands. It took way too long and caused me to consider authoring a mod to increase seaborne movement by 1000% and remove stupid high seas attrition, but I stuck with it. Sadly the trip wound up being more fun than the destination. Fighting pirates, occasionally pillaging Bretonnian lands and capturing Estallian ports to replenish. Finally landing in Ithaca by turn 45ish made me realize how behind I was despite having a huge treasury from all the sea encounters. I lucked out and Barak Varr was taken by Orcs, so I snatched that and expanded south. Arnheim was finally lost to Morathi and annoyingly my capitol switched to some random landlocked settlement I had taken from the Orcs, not my major port settlement.

The rest is pretty bog standard Badlands bowl. I crushed the Orcs with my shadow warrior armies, and the Dwarfs who loved me blobbed all over the place relegating me to the Western portions of the Badlands. Nehekara was off limits due to climatic incompatibilities. I ended up quiting the campaign by turn 90. It actually remindmed why I loved playing VC so much, being able to gently caress off and do whatever you want is super refreshing.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Someone uploaded an Instant Quest Items mod that does work with the new DLC because the original one wasn't being updated. I'll link that one too when I get a chance.

Man please do, I tried getting fixing it manually myself but I hosed up some of the events and its a pain in the rear end trying to find them all.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Sasgrillo posted:

Did that once without using any mods to get to the Baldands. It took way too long and caused me to consider authoring a mod to increase seaborne movement by 1000% and remove stupid high seas attrition, but I stuck with it. Sadly the trip wound up being more fun than the destination. Fighting pirates, occasionally pillaging Bretonnian lands and capturing Estallian ports to replenish. Finally landing in Ithaca by turn 45ish made me realize how behind I was despite having a huge treasury from all the sea encounters. I lucked out and Barak Varr was taken by Orcs, so I snatched that and expanded south. Arnheim was finally lost to Morathi and annoyingly my capitol switched to some random landlocked settlement I had taken from the Orcs, not my major port settlement.

The rest is pretty bog standard Badlands bowl. I crushed the Orcs with my shadow warrior armies, and the Dwarfs who loved me blobbed all over the place relegating me to the Western portions of the Badlands. Nehekara was off limits due to climatic incompatibilities. I ended up quiting the campaign by turn 90. It actually remindmed why I loved playing VC so much, being able to gently caress off and do whatever you want is super refreshing.

you can't change your capitol like you could in older tws can you?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Nope, your capital only ever changes if you retake your original one.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Gunslinger posted:

Man please do, I tried getting fixing it manually myself but I hosed up some of the events and its a pain in the rear end trying to find them all.

Instant Quest Items Updated for Shadow and Blade
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1748570674

Devorum posted:

Change Starting Settlement
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1929748031

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Jarvisi posted:

It's on sale for $13.19 at fanatical.com right now.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I wanted to be friends with Couronne in my Empire game but Louen's getting in the way too much, so I think I'm going to have to kill him. I thought I blocked him off by taking Marienburg but he sailed around the bend and grabbed a couple ruined Empire settlements in the north when I wasn't looking, and now he has armies streaming back and forth through the middle of the empire at all times. Brettonia is a thunderdome of vampires and orcs but he's been underfoot in my poo poo instead all game. Sorry Louen. You're going to be mad until you die because of all of this broken treaty malus, but you'd understand if you were in my shoes. Karl Franz wants to be friends with humans, but he draws the line at sharing provinces with them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Region trading mod is drat near mandatory for that reason.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Randallteal posted:

I wanted to be friends with Couronne in my Empire game but Louen's getting in the way too much, so I think I'm going to have to kill him. I thought I blocked him off by taking Marienburg but he sailed around the bend and grabbed a couple ruined Empire settlements in the north when I wasn't looking, and now he has armies streaming back and forth through the middle of the empire at all times. Brettonia is a thunderdome of vampires and orcs but he's been underfoot in my poo poo instead all game. Sorry Louen. You're going to be mad until you die because of all of this broken treaty malus, but you'd understand if you were in my shoes. Karl Franz wants to be friends with humans, but he draws the line at sharing provinces with them.

Sounds like a perfect norsca buffer to me.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Refried Noodle posted:

Sounds like a perfect norsca buffer to me.

I thought about waiting to see if he'd lose them and I could snipe them back, but there are some more ruined cities to the east, and he's been moving a ton of troops out there. He hasn't expanded out of his starting province in Brettonia proper, so now would be the time to take him out.

Maybe I can do some agent cheese or something to get in good with the vampires and orcs and be a Karl Franz that just really hates other humans.

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
Given the amount of time they're spending on III compared to what they spent on II, it seems like there might be more coming in the next game beyond bolting on some Chaos factions, some Ogres, and a new section of the ME map.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gyrotica posted:

Given the amount of time they're spending on III compared to what they spent on II, it seems like there might be more coming in the next game beyond bolting on some Chaos factions, some Ogres, and a new section of the ME map.
Do we know that it is time being spent on III with the same number of developers & content creators, though? Considering they did 3K and are also working on Troy, and from what I have seen at the software company I work for, I wouldnt be surprised if developers were shuffled around fairly often to meet needs of certain teams at specific times.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m sure 3K and Troy have taken up most of the effort at least until recently (no idea how far along Troy is) but even so I imagine 3 is going to be more of an upgrade than 2 just by virtue of having time to see what works and what people like, and what doesn’t and they don’t. 2 came out so fast that it was basically just a big DLC with a handful of QoL upgrades.

Like the base game 1 release to Tomb Kings was just 18 months. It’s been more than two years since Tomb Kings already.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 27, 2020

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
looking forward to ogres tbh

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Big hat chaos dwarfs or bust.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Angry Lobster posted:

Big hat chaos dwarfs or bust.
Considering how the community received Vampirates I sure hope they have the leeway to go all in on Chaos Dwarfs.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Considering how the community received Vampirates I sure hope they have the leeway to go all in on Chaos Dwarfs.

I think the question is less if they show up and more whether they get their full glorious hats or a grimdark redesign

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Do we know that it is time being spent on III with the same number of developers & content creators, though? Considering they did 3K and are also working on Troy, and from what I have seen at the software company I work for, I wouldnt be surprised if developers were shuffled around fairly often to meet needs of certain teams at specific times.

I thought I read they kept folks in separate teams, and the TW III one was the biggest of all of them.

Doesn't mean they couldn't have been shifting some folks around as needed, though. It may not have been the biggest until relatively recently.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I thought they were separate teams, yah.

I mean maybe a big chunk of time was spent optimizing mortal empires but that could also be seen as work towards game 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

It's crazy how fast ME turns are now.i avoided it for ages but now it's all I play