Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

If shitholes like Abe, Hun Sen and others get kicked out over economic issues and Corona then there is a silver lining

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Yeeeeeeah. I shortened/rescheduled slightly my late March trip this morning....but I'm thinking we might have to reboot entirely in the next week or so

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009
Can I solicit some last minute recommendations for day trips near Osaka? My travelling companion intends to stay in the city and I mostly just want to consume my weight in takoyaki, visit some onsen, and hike somewhere pretty whenever possible.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Missed booking a $450 dollar round trip to Japan from US by minutes :( So sad

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Russian Remoulade posted:

Can I solicit some last minute recommendations for day trips near Osaka? My travelling companion intends to stay in the city and I mostly just want to consume my weight in takoyaki, visit some onsen, and hike somewhere pretty whenever possible.

Tanaka carpentry museum near Shin-Kobe station

Mt Rokko

Himeji

Nara

Kyoto

Osaka Aquarium

USJ

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

totalnewbie posted:

I have the feeling that flights to East Asia will be quite cheap for the near term

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Russian Remoulade posted:

Kai. Yu. Kan.

Go see them fish

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Not a Children posted:

I have the feeling that flights to East Asia will be quite cheap for the near term

Yes, I'm hoping so. But would be nice to have locked it in.

Seconding aquarium in Osaka.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Borderless just refunded my tickets for Wednesday. They're closing starting Feb 29.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

Borderless just refunded my tickets for Wednesday. They're closing starting Feb 29.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

With the schools done, and this starting, probably going to wind up calling it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I fly in 13 hours, I'm just going to show up and watch 5 months of planning unravel I guess.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Picnic Princess posted:

I fly in 13 hours, I'm just going to show up and watch 5 months of planning unravel I guess.

You'll probably have a better time for it.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

As noted by sage Stringent at least Japan is also a nice rear end place to just hang or go check out the countryside as well so don't get too bummed.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Picnic Princess posted:

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1232147201071013888?s=20

no sympathy from me

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Even Disney is closing for 2 weeks now.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

crosspostin'

Mr. Fix It posted:

i'm '中止だ中止

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I bet touristing in places that don't close owns right now

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Just ate a bunch of yakitori and drank some craft beers at a festival in ueno park. Life is good

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Here's another one for $450

https://www.secretflying.com/posts/las-vegas-tokyo-japan-519-roundtrip/

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

If I only have time to hit one fancy cocktail place in Ginza is Bar Benfiddich a good choice? Also gonna get some highballs at Rockfish

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Have you heard about this little place called hub

(This is a joke)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I was feeling mild crisis for a bit there, but yeah, the city is gorgeous and interesting day and night even if everything is shut down, most of what I have planned was outdoors to begin with, and I have a list of day trips by train to more outdoorsy stuff. Maybe we can even zip over to Kyoto for a day, why the hell not.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I've heard stuff here and there before, but I am now fully onboard the "our prime minister is a loving idiot" train.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

magikid posted:

I've heard stuff here and there before, but I am now fully onboard the "our prime minister is a loving idiot" train.

lmao, this is the straw that broke the camel's back?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

magikid posted:

Just read every article Nakano Koichi writes and you'll have plenty of reasons to hate Abe lol

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

mikeycp posted:

Have you heard about this little place called hub

(This is a joke)

Lol this isn't my first rodeo mate

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

magikid posted:

concerning that it took until now

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hey y’all copying over my post from the LAN thread. For context leaving with the wife on Sunday for our 21 day honeymoon.

KidDynamite posted:

We’ve decided we’re going and going to enjoy what we can. Expect me to come in here the next couple of weeks for recommendations on things to do because something got canceled.def need something to do in Tokyo on the 3rd because team labs is closed. Might just be the manga and unlimited booze place. Kinda day because the next we have to be over in Hakone early because we’re renting sports cars from fun2drive and then staying at yama no Chaya. After that we’re in Kyoto and a little lost on what to do. Same for Osaka as the sumo tournament will likely be cancelled. As long as I can get good food at the night market I should be fine. Okinawa is some pampering at a resort. Then back to Tokyo for a bunch of days that could be filled with Ghibli museum and Disney or the closing they have in place getting extended. Here I would probably go to an arcade and stupidly get corona playing fighting games.

I wrote that in the haze of sleep and ambien last night so pardon the weird grammar. Currently looking for recommendations for Kyoto and Osaka be it day trips or sights to see in those cities that for sure won’t get shut down. Might need Tokyo recs once we’re in Japan but hoping not to.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

LimburgLimbo posted:

https://www.kirin.co.jp/products/list/item/rtd/hyoketsuume.html

This one? Yeah it's not a limited time thing and is usually just around. Should be somewhere in conbini or supermarkets.

that's reassuring! i haven't seen any yet, but i'l keep an eye out. thanks!!

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

Hey y’all copying over my post from the LAN thread. For context leaving with the wife on Sunday for our 21 day honeymoon.

I wrote that in the haze of sleep and ambien last night so pardon the weird grammar. Currently looking for recommendations for Kyoto and Osaka be it day trips or sights to see in those cities that for sure won’t get shut down. Might need Tokyo recs once we’re in Japan but hoping not to.

Honestly any of the standard tourist spots for Kyoto will be fine given the lack of people. But I’d make sure to hit Arashiyama forest and Fushimi Inari Taisha.
Related article: https://soranews24.com/2020/02/17/kyoto-starts-new-its-empty-tourism-campaign-to-attract-tourists-during-coronavirus-outbreak/

Nara would also be worth visiting, though I wonder how much more the aggressive the deer will be for food.

Edit:
For Kyoto:
-L'Escamoteur (Bar at Takase river)
-Iyemon Salon(cafe by Suntory tea)
-Tamakitei Bakery

.Z. fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 28, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm imagining walking around the kyomizudera area without a boat load of crowds :monocle:

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

So wife is panicking because of more closures being declared and the possibility of them shutting down our flight from Kyoto to Okinawa due to Hokkaido just declaring a state of emergency. I guess this is going to be a game day decision.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Cancellation of domestic flights would be unlikely unless there's a MAJOR event IMO, but definitely keep an eye on it.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

This trip is simply wild. SeaTac is too fogged over to land so flights have been diverted to Portland to sit and wait until we're able to go back to Seattle. If we're lucky our connection is equally delayed and we'll still make it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

This trip is simply wild. SeaTac is too fogged over to land so flights have been diverted to Portland to sit and wait until we're able to go back to Seattle. If we're lucky our connection is equally delayed and we'll still make it.
Positive: I managed to get a direct flight.

Negative: It's out of SeaTac.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
i've never been but i can't imagine that seatac is any worse than o'hare or jfk (or charlotte lmao)

im flying via seatac in may :x

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Phone posted:

i've never been but i can't imagine that seatac is any worse than o'hare or jfk (or charlotte lmao)

im flying via seatac in may :x

SeaTac is usually not as bad as O'Hare but the fog here can definitely dick over flights sometimes.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Big time. We've been put on a Portland-Narita flight in the morning after missing our connection. The plane we were on has been sitting and waiting to go to Seattle for 4 hours. Our luggage is still on it and they're inside trying to dig it out since we're not going back through Seattle. Their suggestion was going through Detroit :laffo:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

field balm posted:

We walked all the way around lake Kawaguchi and there was plenty of people doing it on rental bikes, definitely a good call. There's some sightseeing busses that goes around a bunch of the lakes and stops at lots of interesting little spots, we went to the wind and ice caves, coming from Australia seeing underground volcanic caves full of ice was pretty cool and novel.

We did Fuji-Q too, easily the best roller coasters I've been on but that's not a very long list lol.

Cool! Thanks :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Thanks. I looked again today and got round trip from my usual airport DTW for 351. :O :O