Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I keep my wfh office warm by convincing my wife that our dogs are cold. Usually by sending her pictures of them cuddled together under blankets constantly.

The rest of the time I wear a sweater or hoodie.

Edit: what a terrible page snipe. My corporate office has had a fun time with the heat/cooling. Especially with about 60-65% of our workforce being women. Thankfully I have seen no space heaters, just personal blankets kept at work for the one person that sits directly under a vent.

DelphiAegis fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

The zone control for my last job was hosed, also I don't think they actually did a good job planning around needing to heat/cool the place which made it even worse.

Our ops center would be freezing but I, who was sat directly outside it, would be dying to heatstroke along with my colleagues (a female and male!)

That poo poo went on for 2 years and multiple hvac guy visits, pretty sure it was still hosed up when I left.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Ghostlight posted:

The AC in my office is fixed at 77 degrees fahrenheit.

Much to the chagrin of the Australian lady who is constantly trying to get it up to 83 because she's very cold in her antique lace dresses.

It's set at 73 in my office and I'm roasting most days already :stonk:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
just gonna drop this here

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/04/science/chilly-at-work-a-decades-old-formula-may-be-to-blame.html

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Wish I could have a desk in the server room right under the AC

My boss actually had one until they dragged him into an office

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm not ashamed to admit I'll run a GPU miner or play a game for a while to warm up the foot area under my desk at home.

I've also held my hands over my printbed like a trashcan fire from time to time.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

D34THROW posted:

It's set at 73 in my office and I'm roasting most days already :stonk:

Yeah, my office is at 74 and it's miserable; I'm barely comfortable with two fans on my desk running non-stop. I think I'd probably go postal at 77.

(Luckily my partner is like me and prefers things in the 66-68 range so it's a non-issue at home.)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Men ruining everything again as usual. :rolleyes:

The biggest issue with IT jobs is just how sedentary you are, even in a relatively warm office (supposedly it is 75 in mine right now) I am wearing a cardigan and my fingers/nose/ears are a bit cold because I am not moving around at all.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I just wish that people who want to adjust the temperature would stop turning the radiator up to the max or turning it all the way down.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

gently caress sake guys, if you're escalating a ticket where you've been trying to troubleshoot it you need to try a lot harder than a bunch of entries with "made a change" in, until you figure that out you can have it back.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

bell jar posted:

My Dell USB-C dock doesn't have a power button (that I can find) and it annoys the poo poo out of me. You also can't remove the USB-C to USB-A dongle from it, which I never want to use. It sucks :smith:

With the two models we have, (WD15 and WD19) they're on the top, at the front right corner.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Fingerless arthritis gloves are great, because they're super thin and won't affect your typing.

I buy them for all my friends who complain about typing in cold offices.

As a cold weather guy with perpetually cold hands, got a recommended brand?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

bell jar posted:

My Dell USB-C dock doesn't have a power button (that I can find) and it annoys the poo poo out of me. You also can't remove the USB-C to USB-A dongle from it, which I never want to use. It sucks :smith:

That's the "universal" USB 3.0 dock.
The one intended only for Dell laptops (WD15, or the newer WD-19) does have a button, and only USB-C. Also comes in Thunderbolt 3 flavor, which is nice.

e: f, b.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

terrenblade posted:

As a cold weather guy with perpetually cold hands, got a recommended brand?

Do I? I have so many! My hands are a mess, and when they get cold sometimes I can't type or grip things worth a drat :smith: I've seriously got pairs of fingerless gloves stashed in like every car cubby, bag, and desk drawer.

IMAK arthritis compression gloves are my primary go-to.
https://arthritis.org/partnership/ease-of-use-products/imak-arthritis-gloves

They're a little spendy, and you might want to go a size up because they are not kidding about them being COMPRESSION gloves, but they fit like a second skin and are plenty warm for being as thin as they are. If you hand wash them periodically with a gentle soap and let them dry overnight, they'll stay in good shape for quite a while. I tend to cycle mine out about once a year as they get grimy and the seams start coming unravelled. These are the ones I buy for my friends.

I've also had good experiences with those copper infused gloves they sell at drug stores and grocery outlets. I turn them inside-out so they look less dumb (I'm not in it for the copper colored puff-paint dots, they're just comfy, thin gloves that are cheap). They tend to be less tightly compression fitted than the IMAKs. These are my trashable gloves for when I'm doing something grimy.

Gaiam makes fingerless yoga gloves that are more of a thin knit than a compression fabric and have rubber grippy designs on the palm. I usually wear them backwards because I don't like the rubber grip, and they're rather femme, so YMMV. They're a bit warmer and still have a little compression. I like that they the fingers are cut a little shorter, so I tend to wear them for playing guitar so I have a bit more dexterity.

At the far end of the spectrum, I've got some "UV blocking" gloves from Outdoor Research called Active Ice that are loose enough to be almost baggy, but if I'm having a bad joint day and can't take the squeeze from the IMAKs, they're great for keeping the chill off without irritation. Also nice for their intended use if you're running around outside, need some kind of passive sunblock, and also want to use your camera or phone or whatever.

That Dang Lizard
Jul 13, 2016

what; an idiomt

Darchangel posted:

That's the "universal" USB 3.0 dock.
The one intended only for Dell laptops (WD15, or the newer WD-19) does have a button, and only USB-C. Also comes in Thunderbolt 3 flavor, which is nice.

e: f, b.

WD-15 / WD-19 docks suck, in my experience. We've had nothing but trouble, especially with the 19's. Build quality issues, random dropouts, graphics issues...

D6000 docks have been rock solid though.

That Dang Lizard fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 27, 2020

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Cubicles and cubettes were the source of many of the temperature woes in the offices I've worked in. Every time you reconfigure cubes in an office you have to reconfigure the vents or it won't cool evenly, and I've never even once seen anyone reconfigure the vents after moving cubes unless they were remodeling.

The correct solution is to put people into offices with adjustable transom slats or windows into the common hallways where the return vents are. If you're cold, close your transom. If you're warm, open it. I know it's more expensive than cubes, but the quality of living for the employees increases sharply and as a bonus, transom windows will make any office look like a vintage police station and people can pretend they're catching crooks solving crime rather than clearing caches and troubleshooting networking problems.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That Dang Lizard posted:

WD-15 / WD-19 docks suck, in my experience. We've had nothing but trouble, especially with the 19's. Build quality issues, random dropouts, graphics issues...

My experience has been the opposite, D6000s have been flaky, partly working or not at all working until they decide to start working again after a couple of weeks. Conversely our WD19s have been workhorses. I've only seen two with problems (fan issue), and I appreciate that they have Service Tags as it makes warranty requests much easier.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
always update the firmware on the d6000 and wd15/19 this fixes so many issues.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

A parent with whom I've dealt a few times this school year came by again to ask me if I could borrow his kid's computer under the pretext of doing some kind of necessary work on it, then pass it off to the dad so he can set up a parental monitoring thing because the kid is having trouble staying focused on schoolwork instead of goofing off online. Pretty normal 14-year-old stuff if you ask me, so I was confused because it sounds like this is something the dad could do himself at home and I don't need to be involved in any of this rinky-dink espionage poo poo. Apparently this is a no-go because they expect the kid to become angry if he finds out that his parents are trying to enforce any sort of computer discipline. Buddy, seems to me like the real problem is that you're afraid of your own kid.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That Dang Lizard posted:

Can confirm on the WD-15s. I'm getting really tired of fighting dock issues on the Dells. The Lenovo USB-C dock seems to be rock solid. I'm honestly going to see if we can't just use that for all of them...
WD-19 hasn't been a problem yet, but we've only been using those for a few months.

wargames posted:

always update the firmware on the d6000 and wd15/19 this fixes so many issues.

Some but not all. Still worth doing.

Weedle posted:

A parent with whom I've dealt a few times this school year came by again to ask me if I could borrow his kid's computer under the pretext of doing some kind of necessary work on it, then pass it off to the dad so he can set up a parental monitoring thing because the kid is having trouble staying focused on schoolwork instead of goofing off online. Pretty normal 14-year-old stuff if you ask me, so I was confused because it sounds like this is something the dad could do himself at home and I don't need to be involved in any of this rinky-dink espionage poo poo. Apparently this is a no-go because they expect the kid to become angry if he finds out that his parents are trying to enforce any sort of computer discipline. Buddy, seems to me like the real problem is that you're afraid of your own kid.

Um, yeah. Be a parent there, guy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

My vp is asking why we don’t have privacy screens on the board iPads

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Fool posted:

And you didn't have a BOFH excuse ready?!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

D. Ebdrup posted:

And you didn't have a BOFH excuse ready?!

*flip flip flip*

solar flares on the

*flip flip*

mainframe substation

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The Fool posted:

What did they get caught looking at?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

The Fool posted:

loving privacy screens. Also, lol at putting them on a tablet. In what orientation? They're loving lenticulars, they only work one way.

I got a couple test laptops from hardware asset management the other month. Two Dells, functionally identical except one was silver, the other was black. The black one had an onboard Ethernet port. And the silver one had...some kind of screen fuckery. It only seemed to work if you tilted the screen at a very specific angle (which then caused the overhead lights to glare off it really badly) because of what I described as some weird lenticular defect. I sent my evaluation back and said, "We should go with the one that has onboard Ethernet to save on issues in the provisioning labs, and what the gently caress was the point of this one with the janky-rear end screen? I think something's wrong with it."

I got a ping back from the HAM lead. "How did the privacy screen perform?"

"THAT'S what that was? Realtalk, it performed like total rear end. Why is it vertical? If I sit like I'm in a plane seat next to someone on this laptop, I can see it just fine, unless the glare from having to tilt it at an uncomfortable angle is in the way. Are they worried that tall people might look over your shoulder? Have they ever BEEN on public transit? That's not really the loving issue, now, is it?"

"Oh. Management hoped we could save money by not having to buy stick on privacy screens."

"Maybe management should be happier that we're getting laptops with Ethernet ports so they can stop wringing their hands over the security risk of handing out USB-C dongles, and so Provisioning can stop whining that they can't image because their dongles are hosed up or missing."

"I'll try to pass along that feedback."

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
I bet you get the silver ones.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you're working on stuff that's so sensitive that you need a privacy screen then you should probably be doing the work in a secure office. Privacy overlays make displays look like trash, there are none that are good.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Shut up Meg posted:

I bet you get the silver ones.

Luckily, nope, we got the black ones. Of course, everything hardware is on a coronovirus-related supply chain meltdown, so wheeeeee. Literally just certified a replacement HP Z4, only to have HP say, "So we lied. We're not getting those CPUs in. We can get you these other CPUs instead, tho!" :smugbert:

Thanks Ants posted:

If you're working on stuff that's so sensitive that you need a privacy screen then you should probably be doing the work in a secure office. Privacy overlays make displays look like trash, there are none that are good.

Also this. The ones we get are at least removable (there are little corner things that go on your laptop, and it slides into them like a photo in a scrapbook), but I never did get the purpose. The people sitting in the middle of the cube farm who have them still have their screens clearly visible from most positions, especially if they're using standing desks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

loving privacy screens. Also, lol at putting them on a tablet. In what orientation? They're loving lenticulars, they only work one way.

I got a couple test laptops from hardware asset management the other month. Two Dells, functionally identical except one was silver, the other was black. The black one had an onboard Ethernet port. And the silver one had...some kind of screen fuckery. It only seemed to work if you tilted the screen at a very specific angle (which then caused the overhead lights to glare off it really badly) because of what I described as some weird lenticular defect. I sent my evaluation back and said, "We should go with the one that has onboard Ethernet to save on issues in the provisioning labs, and what the gently caress was the point of this one with the janky-rear end screen? I think something's wrong with it."

I got a ping back from the HAM lead. "How did the privacy screen perform?"

"THAT'S what that was? Realtalk, it performed like total rear end. Why is it vertical? If I sit like I'm in a plane seat next to someone on this laptop, I can see it just fine, unless the glare from having to tilt it at an uncomfortable angle is in the way. Are they worried that tall people might look over your shoulder? Have they ever BEEN on public transit? That's not really the loving issue, now, is it?"

"Oh. Management hoped we could save money by not having to buy stick on privacy screens."

"Maybe management should be happier that we're getting laptops with Ethernet ports so they can stop wringing their hands over the security risk of handing out USB-C dongles, and so Provisioning can stop whining that they can't image because their dongles are hosed up or missing."

"I'll try to pass along that feedback."

The Dell 7400s we're getting now (with carbon fiber lids! Whee!), the successor to the 7390s, have no Ethernet port. Doesn't matter much to the users, but I either have to image on a dock, or use one of the USB-C Ethernet dongles I have for the Macs. I really do like the built-in camera shutter though. Keeps my users from putting on an external shutter that presses on the trackpad keys and causes random clicking issues that they can't figure out...

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, my office is at 74 and it's miserable; I'm barely comfortable with two fans on my desk running non-stop. I think I'd probably go postal at 77.

(Luckily my partner is like me and prefers things in the 66-68 range so it's a non-issue at home.)

It's 80 here at my desk and people are still using space heaters while half of us have fans.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

Darchangel posted:

The Dell 7400s we're getting now (with carbon fiber lids! Whee!), the successor to the 7390s, have no Ethernet port. Doesn't matter much to the users, but I either have to image on a dock, or use one of the USB-C Ethernet dongles I have for the Macs. I really do like the built-in camera shutter though. Keeps my users from putting on an external shutter that presses on the trackpad keys and causes random clicking issues that they can't figure out...

I wish I could put one of those shutter things on my Surface (they sell them in the company tech vending machine), but I can't because it ends up covering the light sensor, mic, and IR cam. Sigh.

I think it's the 5300 that has onboard Ethernet, and the 7300 has the terrible screen protector. They're going to be our successors to the 7xx0 series, I think. Not going to miss the 72x0s with their lovely thermal issues that makes Google Hangouts BSOD the loving thing on the regular...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Luckily, nope, we got the black ones. Of course, everything hardware is on a coronovirus-related supply chain meltdown, so wheeeeee. Literally just certified a replacement HP Z4, only to have HP say, "So we lied. We're not getting those CPUs in. We can get you these other CPUs instead, tho!" :smugbert:

Also this. The ones we get are at least removable (there are little corner things that go on your laptop, and it slides into them like a photo in a scrapbook), but I never did get the purpose. The people sitting in the middle of the cube farm who have them still have their screens clearly visible from most positions, especially if they're using standing desks.

The one time we had privacy screens that could clip onto monitors in our company a bunch of middle managers decided it was a status symbol because if you had one it meant you did super secret Excel work, so they *had* to have one as well.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
We have a group of finance folks who insisted they needed analog phones, not VoIP for security reasons. They won the battle but were :catstare: when told we can just use a butt set in the closet to listen to their calls and it's IP by the time it's past the telco switch.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
People are stupid.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Analog phones are not secure. It's incredibly cheap and easy to splice a line.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The same people after getting their analog line request complained loudly their $1200 in headsets purchased (which they "need" for security reasons) don't work with their new old rear end Nortel M9316 phones.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
And first it was one line shared among 4 phones, then individual lines with group pickup, no they actually want a hunt group.

All on a separate analog system it's giving me PTSD just explaining it.

it was already a months long saga when I left the phone department and carried on after I left.

less than three fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 28, 2020

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Thanks Ants posted:

Our work at home users got dual 22" monitors and they're required to use the provided privacy screens. They are also forbidden from doing any work with anyone inside the required "space with a door that can be closed during working hours".

:catstare:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Your users sound more paranoid than I am...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

less than three posted:

And first it was one line shared among 4 phones, then individual lines with group pickup, no they actually want a hunt group.

All on a separate analog system it's giving me PTSD just explaining it.

it was already a months long saga when I left the phone department and carried on after I left.

I'd have put a stack of Analog-IPPhone Adapters in the closet, run them POTS lines and just lied. You're a better man than I.