Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Shai-Hulud posted:

Anyone up for an actual carbon fiber phone?

https://www.carbonmobile.com/carbon1

I miss my Droid Maxx and turbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

LastInLine posted:

Sadly, after seeing this kind of thing on a Nexus S and LG G2x I can tell you that the fix is very temporary. A-GPS data goes stale very quickly. If it's still bouncing all over the place it's likely that it's simply broken, perhaps even in hardware though we can hold out hope since you say it started with an OS update.

You can try a factory reset. Perhaps Samsung has some way you can go back to old software, I don't know. It's a Note9, so if it's covered under warranty you should exchange it. Unfortunately I'm pretty confident in saying it's not going to get any better on its own.

If they won't take it back and there's no easy way to fix it there is one possibility that worked a decade on those old phones that needs root, it's some database file you can delete that might be corrupt and recreation might fix the issue but this really sounds like hardware if no one else with the phone is having similar problems.

What's crazy is this happens if I'm in google maps, just watching as I walk around, but as soon as I start driving and using directions, it's 100% fixed. The world is a mystery.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The S20 Ultra, the phone that's going to need a second review once Samsung finishes the software on it.

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/02/27/samsung-1400-galaxy-s20-ultra-camera-needs-work/

quote:

The folks at Input called the S20 Ultra’s camera “a $1,400 letdown,” while PCMag said their night mode shots “aren’t particularly good.” In The Verge’s review, they said that “skin smoothing is out of control in a lot of cases,” while also noting the focusing issues. Gizmodo echoed all of this stuff as well.

Ooof, The Verge's review headline.

"SAMSUNG GALAXY S20 ULTRA REVIEW: SHUTTER BUG
A new-generation camera with first-generation problems"

Not the start of a review you want for a $1400 device.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 27, 2020

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Bubba posted:

I’m a digital artist that likes to doodle on my commute to work usually was thinking it would be a nice addition. Only thing that pushes me away from getting the Note 10+ is how Samsung usually stops software support after 2 years so about a year from now? Not too sure might just hold off and wait.
Samsung do 3 years of monthly security updates with a fourth year of quarterly updates. There's also (rare) updates after that for critical security issues.
They're pretty much the best on a pure security update metric, beating Google's 3 years.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

bull3964 posted:

The S20 Ultra, the phone that's going to need a second review once Samsung finishes the software on it.

https://www.droid-life.com/2020/02/27/samsung-1400-galaxy-s20-ultra-camera-needs-work/

Ooof, The Verge's review headline.

"SAMSUNG GALAXY S20 ULTRA REVIEW: SHUTTER BUG
A new-generation camera with first-generation problems"

Not the start of a review you want for a $1400 device.

I'm wondering how Samsung was able to gently caress up the software on their own sensor so badly when, by all accounts, Xiaomi did very well with it.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

pathetic little tramp posted:

What's crazy is this happens if I'm in google maps, just watching as I walk around, but as soon as I start driving and using directions, it's 100% fixed. The world is a mystery.

I could be wrong, but I've always suspected that Google Maps while using directions errs on assuming you're following the prescribed route. I suspect it smooths out gps irregularities with that assumption.

You can sort of see this when you take an exit it didn't recommend (or skip one it did recommend) off a highway. At least for me the location marker continues along the highway a short bit before it presumably accepts that me being far to the right wasn't just a passing GPS error.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

Under About Phone > Status > SIM card status it says:

Network - not available
Mobile network state - disconnected
Service state - radio off
Signal strength - -113 dBm 0 asu
Mobile voice/data network type - unknown
Roaming - not roaming

They checked my SIM and IMEI # in their systems and they match for my phone and number.

My SPL, Baseband, and Build number match the ones you posted.

edit: tried this after seeing that it says Radio Off above https://www.techjunkie.com/galaxy-s8-and-galaxy-s8-plus-how-to-fix-no-service-problem/ but I don't get the option to toggle the Radio after running the ping. Someone else mentions a similar issue here and they also didn't see the Radio toggle https://forums.att.com/conversations/samsung/galaxy-s8-radio-not-working-no-signal-at-all/5df01dd0bad5f2f60618c08a

I'm thinking you might need to have the phone replaced if it's under warranty or you have insurance on it. If you don't have the toggles available to you, then the only other thing I could maybe suggest before you try to exchange it would be to manually load the latest ROM onto the device since something at the base level of the OS may have broken when you updated.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

grack posted:

I'm wondering how Samsung was able to gently caress up the software on their own sensor so badly when, by all accounts, Xiaomi did very well with it.
Uh, wouldn't Xiaomi using Samsung's software anyway? Or doesn't the mobile world not believe in drivers and/or middleware anymore?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think the sensor middleware interface is likely fine. So, like the raw output of the pixelbinning is probably a good starting point since that's more of a hardware/firmware thing. Samsung has never had good image post processing on their stuff. The output can give decent results sometimes, but it's almost always lacking in detail and have boosted colors.

It's pretty clear from this that they tried to slap the same processing on very different raw output and the results are worse rather than the same or better.

quote:

Samsung’s other selling point for the S20 Ultra is that you can take full 108-megapixel photos, allowing you to crop way in to specific details if you want. (There’s yet more technical underpinning you could dig into here involving subpixel arrangements and re-mosaicing processes.)

Samsung thinks it’s best for landscapes and suggests that you only use it when the scene is brightly lit. I suggest you don’t use it nearly at all. I’ve yet to take a photo that looked better as a 108-megapixel photo than it did as a 12-megapixel one. On very tight crops, you can see more detail on some 108-megapixel shots, but you can also see enough noise that it’s only a modest improvement over the 12.

So, it doesn't look like their post processing pipeline is optimized at all beyond the 12mp output from pixelbinning and I'm going to guess the pixelbinned output is different enough to the native 12mp output to cause the other issues.

They need to completely kill any custom face algorithms based on what they are seeing about how good the selfie camera is. Beyond that though, I don't see much hope that image quality is going to change significantly for things like color and white balance because if it hasn't changed every year since now, why would it change for this sensor?

I think the most likely improvement is a fix to the autofocus system since that seems like an outright bug rather than a whole pipeline of processing that would have to change.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Feb 27, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why the gently caress did I think Samsung might get something right?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

What sucks is there are some really nice images out there, so the hardware is more than capable.

That seems like the common refrain. A lot of other flagshps have come close or exceeded what the Pixel lineup can do when picking individual photos. But holy gently caress has Pixel got the "Pull phone from pocket, launch camera with shortcut, snap pic, put phone away while you keep walking" thing down where you don't even have to think or worry you got a GOOD photo. Maybe not the best possible based on all the other camera options out there, but consistently good.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Every time I'm tempted by Samsung, I get jolted back to reality. I'll stick with my Pixel comfort blanket. Google don't gently caress up this year (lol)

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

bull3964 posted:

That seems like the common refrain. A lot of other flagshps have come close or exceeded what the Pixel lineup can do when picking individual photos. But holy gently caress has Pixel got the "Pull phone from pocket, launch camera with shortcut, snap pic, put phone away while you keep walking" thing down where you don't even have to think or worry you got a GOOD photo. Maybe not the best possible based on all the other camera options out there, but consistently good.

After having the Pixel XL and Pixel 3XL I can comfortably say this is rarely the case for me on either phone.

Most of the time it's "Pull the phone from pocket, launch camera with shortcut, stare at a black screen while camera struggles to initialize, you miss the shot you want and the phone kicks you back to home screen."

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Don't really know what to tell you there. I've had every Pixel generation and I have yet to see behavior like that.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tetrabor posted:

After having the Pixel XL and Pixel 3XL I can comfortably say this is rarely the case for me on either phone.

Most of the time it's "Pull the phone from pocket, launch camera with shortcut, stare at a black screen while camera struggles to initialize, you miss the shot you want and the phone kicks you back to home screen."

You broke your phones

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

bull3964 posted:

Don't really know what to tell you there. I've had every Pixel generation and I have yet to see behavior like that.

sourdough posted:

You broke your phones

Y'all are lucky because I've met at least two other pixel users who experience the same issue.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Super glad i didn't pull the trigger on a launch day purchase

I will say the GPS radio and cell radio in my pxl3 is much worse than anything I've had Samsung and I've RMAd twice already

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tetrabor posted:

What.

I've never experienced that on any Pixel. I've had like 10 of them.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I vaguely recall a bug where the camera would always fail to launch and say "camera disconnected" or something like that when you tried to launch it, but don't remember when that was (anything from like 6P to Pixel 3, ha). I believe that was some hardware fault that got sorted quickly.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
I just yesterday retired my Pixel 2 for a Pixel 3a XL. My Pixel 2 was starting to show signs of that problem, with also the screen turning to colored static. Pushing on the body of the phone under the camera would fix it for awhile. Apparently the Pixel 2 has a problem where a connector located there can work loose and the screen/camera starts going funky.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Branch Nvidian posted:

I'm thinking you might need to have the phone replaced if it's under warranty or you have insurance on it. If you don't have the toggles available to you, then the only other thing I could maybe suggest before you try to exchange it would be to manually load the latest ROM onto the device since something at the base level of the OS may have broken when you updated.

I went to see the Samsung rep at Best Buy but he was gone already. Geek Squad then manually installed the base version of the OS (I thought a factory reset did that, but I guess that just reinstalls the current version). That wiped the phone again and there's still no service so it's a hardware issue.

I'm going to call Samsung and/or AT&T now. It's out of warranty (assuming 1 year) and I don't have the insurance. They pushed an update that fried it so I hope they do something about it but I know they won't. Phone is perfect otherwise so this sucks. How convenient that the brand new ones come out tomorrow. I've heard of planned obsolescence, but come on!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Every time I'm tempted by Samsung, I get jolted back to reality. I'll stick with my Pixel comfort blanket. Google don't gently caress up this year (lol)

Just buy three flagship phones per year, problem solved

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Android Thread - Just buy three flagship phones per year, problem solved

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

Is there a pot going on what Google will skimp out on this next time?

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
I still have my og pixel XL and love it but the battery and the charging port have and continue to decline and now the gps bounces all over the place for 2 minutes before it picks up where I am. Might have to finally give it up

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Just buy three flagship phones per year, problem solved

Funny you post that because I was coming here to say that as much poo poo as giving the S20 Ultra, I'm probably still going to order one before the pre-order deal ends because they will give $700 for the Note10+ I have which is more than what I paid for it plus another $100 for accessories.

The real question is will I turn around and flip it without opening to recoup the cost and divest myself from Samsung or play around with it for awhile.

Another thing is I still think my favorite phone of 2019 is the OnePlus 7 Pro. I still like the Pixel better in a lot of ways, especially the camera, but the OP7P really is a joy to use.

Basically, day to day I think the OP7P is the better device, but if I'm traveling I want the P4XL for the camera and slightly more compact carry. Oxygen OS also has an unfortunate bug right now where it can't connect to GoGo in flight WiFi which is annoying because I'm on T-Mobile and get it free.

I'm also very annoyed that the OP8P seems to be going with the hole punch camera, they better have done something else really good with the device to justify the removal of the pop-up.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Does the different and new camera lens preclude some XDA modder from making a GCam apk that doesn't smudge faces into playdough and blur fern leaves into feathers?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

KingKapalone posted:

I went to see the Samsung rep at Best Buy but he was gone already. Geek Squad then manually installed the base version of the OS (I thought a factory reset did that, but I guess that just reinstalls the current version). That wiped the phone again and there's still no service so it's a hardware issue.

I'm going to call Samsung and/or AT&T now. It's out of warranty (assuming 1 year) and I don't have the insurance. They pushed an update that fried it so I hope they do something about it but I know they won't. Phone is perfect otherwise so this sucks. How convenient that the brand new ones come out tomorrow. I've heard of planned obsolescence, but come on!

At any point did they try a new SIM?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Nexus 5.

It was like that on launch day and never got fixed throughout the lifetime of the device, though it did get mitigated in December of its launch year. It would happen randomly when switching between FFC and the rear camera, and you could trigger it with near perfect consistency by turning on face unlock and leaving the camera app at the rear camera. By the time you'd go to use the camera it'd have inevitably "disconnected".

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

angryrobots posted:

At any point did they try a new SIM?

Yeah, in their original post they mentioned at&t replaced the SIM card, because I thought that would be the problem until I saw that mentioned.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
I got some hands-on time with the Ultra and using Pro Mode basically removes all the typical Samsung overprocessing and looks great (The Verge review also mentions this). If they can just apply those settings to the default mode, it'd probably fix many of those complaints.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

hmmxkrazee posted:

I got some hands-on time with the Ultra and using Pro Mode basically removes all the typical Samsung overprocessing and looks great (The Verge review also mentions this). If they can just apply those settings to the default mode, it'd probably fix many of those complaints.

So, what we have to hope for is for Samsung to willingly remove extraneous, unwanted crap from their phones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

grack posted:

So, what we have to hope for is for Samsung to willingly remove extraneous, unwanted crap from their phones.

Indeed

quote:

One UI 2 is the name of Samsung’s custom software on top of Android 10, and, as ever, I think it makes some smart improvements on the default interface. There’s actual screen recording, easier-to-reach content, and a sidebar you can swipe in from anywhere that can contain your calendar, clipboard history, the weather, or other useful widgets. All of that is great.

Unfortunately, Samsung has apparently decided that it no longer needs to exercise restraint in its software additions. After years of paring TouchWiz back to something that felt more like stock Android, Samsung is Samsunging again. The left of the home screen is called “Samsung Daily,” and it’s a sad pile of information widgets from companies Samsung happens to partner with. Bixby is still a subpar voice assistant that is mapped to a long press of the power button. The Quick Settings tray is filled with arcane icons labeled with feature names you need a bachelor’s degree in Samsung feature creep to identify.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I hate that poo poo so much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, the biggest thing that I find scummy about the Samsung interface is the amount of promoted content.

I know that seems a bit silly when Android itself is just an advertising platform and Google has also snuck ads in places, but the crap just sticks out like a sore thumb with Samsung.

I mean, you open up Samsung Pay and it's just a vomit of offers.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Would there be any advantages to getting the Sony xperia onetwo when I own a Sony a7iii?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

bull3964 posted:

Funny you post that because I was coming here to say that as much poo poo as giving the S20 Ultra, I'm probably still going to order one before the pre-order deal ends because they will give $700 for the Note10+ I have which is more than what I paid for it plus another $100 for accessories.

Yeah I was making fun of myself. I've already pre-ordered the Ultra for 2,000 dollarydoos. In the last year I've had a p3xl, s10+, and p4xl. Before that I had a note 8, p2xl, p20 pro and oneplus 6t.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Android Thread - Just buy three flagship phones per year, problem solved

Fully support this btw, already the Android Wear title quote despite not wearing an Android Wear watch in over a year.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

KinkyJohn posted:

Would there be any advantages to getting the Sony xperia onetwo when I own a Sony a7iii?

Well i'd guess the phone is better than the camera at using apps :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

it’s not exactly a new complaint, though. they’ve had their own google now-esque feed to the left of the screen for... years now. dating back to touchwiz with flipboard, then i’m pretty sure at least since the s8 with some form of “daily” feed. they’ve also always had a ton of quick settings toggles, too. there’s nothing in that block that i really agree is samsung reversing course from oneui: its stuff that’s always been there. s voice became bixby, flipboard became bixby home became samsung daily, settings toggles have remained impenetrable, and their ui has always been full of dumb features 90% of people don’t and won’t use.
oneui was a welcome change because it cut back on garish visual bullshit and started to mesh with google’s android design sensibilities better, and they turned off some of the dumber and more egregious features by default.