Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Liquid Communism posted:

Ah.

Probably a failure of surface prep under the paint then.

I dont know a ton about house paint but I think thats why you have to use primer so it bonds the paint to the surface. Wherever I read it it said something like "dont use some old paint you have laying around as primer, use primer"

wtf two snipes in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I've 99% sealed a deal where I get a new job at basically the same base salary but this time with a bonus, but none of that really matters because get this: it has a 2.7km commute.

Sure happy I went for the 20kkm/year lease deal now. :D

Fake edit: 2.6 by bike.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

shy boy from chess club posted:

I dont know a ton about house paint but I think thats why you have to use primer so it bonds the paint to the surface. Wherever I read it it said something like "dont use some old paint you have laying around as primer, use primer"

wtf two snipes in a row

It was brand new paint (behr I believe) and we assumed they were going to do proper prep. We didn't stand around and watch them work, but we assumed they did it properly. I'm gonna shoot off an email to them but I doubt it will do any good. This is just another lesson, I should do everything myself.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bolind posted:

I've 99% sealed a deal where I get a new job at basically the same base salary but this time with a bonus, but none of that really matters because get this: it has a 2.7km commute.

Sure happy I went for the 20kkm/year lease deal now. :D

Fake edit: 2.6 by bike.

Noice. My girlfriend landed a new higher paid job a couple of weeks back which drops her commute from like 90 minutes to 14 a day. To say this has made her happy is an understatement, she loving hated that place.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

This is just another lesson, I should do everything myself.

It was at this moment that Rhyno became a homeowner.

So in my kitchen saga, I'd been searching for someone to fix the douche contractor's fuckups and finish the install. It's been maddening. I've got over a dozen contacts and nothing was coming up. So, I did something I'd been avoiding for a long time... my daughter used to be pretty good friends with the kid of a builder in this area. They make homes in the $750k-1M+ price range. They've got a beautiful house and are very nice to us, and us to them. Their youngest son spray painted the bumper of their Infiniti QX whatever a year or two back and I was able to use super detailing skills to get it off without a respray, so I'll help when I can... but I didn't want to use that contact, it felt kinda cheesy.

But I had no other choice. I asked last week and she gave me the name of a guy that thought he could squeeze it in some time over the next couple weeks. The incredible thing is that his price was fully FIVE TIMES LESS than the only other bid I had. So that completely changed my orientation with regards to taking douche contractor to court, but I'll handle that another time.

After all of this saga and drama, this new contractor shows up today and almost knocks the whole loving thing out to a level that is unbelievable.

Cheap. Good. Fast. Somehow this guy is all 3.

So how do I thank the builders? (Other than "thank you so much, that helped more than you know," ofc)?

Seriously, I could almost cry looking at this loving kitchen right now the way it looks on the wireframe drawings. Over the past couple weeks, I was wondering if I'd EVER get to this point.

On the flip side, all of a sudden the sickness my wife had hit me like a bomb and I'm coughing like crazy and it feels like there's a 90 pound blanket hanging on me.

That's been your slice of meatpimp E/N for the day. I no longer have to :sever: with my kitchen.

Edit: Thinking of switching out a good bit of the PVC water piping to pex as I repair the douche contractor's fuckup. Y/N?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I would love a commute reduction. Minimum 45 minutes and almost $7 in tolls each way really is draining.

^^^ glad you got your kitchen resolved. There are so many lovely tradies our there, it really does feel like a blessing when you come across one who’s just good at their job.

slothrop fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Feb 27, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That's amazing, meatpimp.
If you've got fairly easy access to the plumbing and the tools to do it, I think I would replace with Pex. Seems to be good future-proofing.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, go PEX, it's easy, cheap, and it doesn't have the same problems going brittle PVC does.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

For those builders a bottle or two of good vodka or whiskey likely wouldn't be a bad thank you.

Could just be my Eastern European sensibilities.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

meatpimp posted:

So how do I thank the builders? (Other than "thank you so much, that helped more than you know," ofc)?

$100 Gift card to a good steakhouse.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'd still take his rear end to court and have them bend him over.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

toplitzin posted:

I'd still take his rear end to court and have them bend him over.

Still on the horizon, but my damages just got a lot smaller and harder to prove. The new awesome guy cost, in total, WITH me figuring in a 20% tip, is still LESS than the 50% outstanding on the original contract. So, in essence, I ended up better for the rear end in a top hat breaching the contract. I just need to figure out a way to spin.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

meatpimp posted:

Still on the horizon, but my damages just got a lot smaller and harder to prove. The new awesome guy cost, in total, WITH me figuring in a 20% tip, is still LESS than the 50% outstanding on the original contract. So, in essence, I ended up better for the rear end in a top hat breaching the contract. I just need to figure out a way to spin.

what about the water damage?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

slothrop posted:

what about the water damage?

That is a homeowner's claim on my insurance and they are subrogating against his insurance. His insurance adjuster already called me to get the job number and contact information for the mitigation service, I think they'll probably just take responsibility for the claim. It gets more complicated because my insurance covers "replacement cost," which is buying new, where his insurance (had I claimed through them) only pay out "actual cash value." It gets more sucky for me, because my insurance had already paid to replace a lot of the flooring that I saved from upstairs and was going to re-use downstairs (about 800 sqft of bamboo), it all got wet this time and had to be thrown out, so that's just a sad trombone for me.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

meatpimp posted:

Thank him profusely, pay him in fully in cash, only ever contact him for any work and make it a situation where you're his "good" client.

Also send him a $150 bottle of booze and a case of your favorite beer or something, but specifically something that can be shared with his crew after a week's hard work.

This is how I have the world's best body shop guy who always hooks me up with one of those "holy poo poo - how can you do it this fast/good/cheap?" deals when I need his services, and he can do other super useful things like order tires/batteries etc. at wholesale and charge me nothing to mount them.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

Edit: Thinking of switching out a good bit of the PVC water piping to pex as I repair the douche contractor's fuckup. Y/N?

PEX is good. sharkbite adapters will fail eventually. Spend for the right tool and good oetiker ear clamps.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Thank him profusely, pay him in fully in cash, only ever contact him for any work and make it a situation where you're his "good" client.

Also send him a $150 bottle of booze and a case of your favorite beer or something, but specifically something that can be shared with his crew after a week's hard work.

This is how I have the world's best body shop guy who always hooks me up with one of those "holy poo poo - how can you do it this fast/good/cheap?" deals when I need his services, and he can do other super useful things like order tires/batteries etc. at wholesale and charge me nothing to mount them.

Seconding this.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

meatpimp posted:

That is a homeowner's claim on my insurance and they are subrogating against his insurance. His insurance adjuster already called me to get the job number and contact information for the mitigation service, I think they'll probably just take responsibility for the claim. It gets more complicated because my insurance covers "replacement cost," which is buying new, where his insurance (had I claimed through them) only pay out "actual cash value." It gets more sucky for me, because my insurance had already paid to replace a lot of the flooring that I saved from upstairs and was going to re-use downstairs (about 800 sqft of bamboo), it all got wet this time and had to be thrown out, so that's just a sad trombone for me.

You can still very easily sue him for the difference of the value of what was lost, beyond the "actual cash value."

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You can still very easily sue him for the difference of the value of what was lost, beyond the "actual cash value."

His insurance company *should* do this for him.

meatpimp posted:

I was an electrician for several years, working in the trades, getting a tip from anyone is an amazing gift in and of itself, I guarantee he will be very happy.

If you want to send him something on top of it, bring up what he likes to drink in conversation, most people who drink like to talk about beer/whiskey/whatever, but it's good to bring up 'cause some people are recovering from addiction and might like a nice dinner for them and their spouse instead!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

shy boy from chess club posted:

wtf two snipes in a row

Primer's ideal because it has a lot more solids than regular paint and is designed to bond harder, but most new construction just gets a coat of builder-grade flat followed by builder-grade eggshell.

I just saw the biggest rear end in a top hat while I was heading back to work.

Brand new candy yellow Corvette with Thin Blue Line plates hard parked across both van accessible handicap spots.... at a McDonald's.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 28, 2020

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's when you call non-emergency and watch the karma unfold.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

meatpimp posted:

Pay in cash and tip him a gift card to a restaurant so he can take his lady out. (Or mistress or boyfriend or whatever satisfies his version of "happy wife, happy life.")

In other news, recommend me a backpack. Must be able to contain a laptop, be reasonably ergonomic, waterproof and have access possibilities that aren't top only. Osprey is a brand that springs to mind, but I'm not married to it. Will be used to haul laptop, bike helmet, clothes, groceries etc. to and fro on my commute, which will be mainly by bike.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

bolind posted:

In other news, recommend me a backpack. Must be able to contain a laptop, be reasonably ergonomic, waterproof and have access possibilities that aren't top only. Osprey is a brand that springs to mind, but I'm not married to it. Will be used to haul laptop, bike helmet, clothes, groceries etc. to and fro on my commute, which will be mainly by bike.

https://kriega.us/r25-backpack

I've been in a downpour for half an hour in this thing with dry contents, but I'm not sure it's "waterproof" rated. Is this going to be a hiking type bad or a general EDC bag?

Best way to keep poo poo dry is a plastic dry bag inside whatever pack you carry.

Edit: seems that they claim they're all waterproof.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 28, 2020

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

bolind posted:

As Beach Bum said Kriega packs are amazing for motorcycle or bicycle use. I've had a R15 for probably 6-8 years that's been all over the country and did 50k miles on a motorcycle, it's still mostly waterproof and holding up great. The harness system is really nice even for just walking around. They're a bit expensive but you can snag them used if you're patient. I also had a R25 for a couple months and that thing will hold a surprising amount of crap. Only sold it because it was much bigger than I needed for daily use. I've used the R15 for week long trips just fine.

If I remember right there's several threads on ADVRider to help figure out what size would be best for you. I think the Kriega guys actually participate in the main thread.

Otherwise Jansport and Swiss Gear are the basic go-to backpack brands.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah, I like https://www.tombihn.com/ bags, but I don't think they're going to qualify as waterproof on their own. They're very durable for day to day wear though.

If you like their designs, check out ebay, you can find some good deals on lightly used ones sometimes.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So it's been a loving day.

My 63yo mother tripped and fell last night, banged herself up a bit. Needed some help to get to bed. We planned on hitting up urgent care this morning.

Well, this morning she was not able to walk, and moving was agony, so I called the ambulance.

Verdict: Hip broken :geno:

FUUUUUUUUUUCK

I am so not ready for the elderly parents stage of life.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 28, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
ay, that's a bad one. hope she recovers OK. when my grandma broke her every bone at some point later on it was because in part she wasn't letting previously broken stuff take time to heal. it takes forever for old people to heal and even then it's not necessarily full. you may have to start thinking about how to support reduced mobility.

in general whenever an elderly person falls and gets pain / banged up you should get it checked out ASAP. old people bones break a lot :(

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Off. My folks are 70 and 71, but thankfully pretty robust. No issues so far. They're definitely slowing down, though. I notice that in Dad. I know he's not getting the stuff done that he wants to, which sucks, because he actually has the time now that he's retired (finally.)

On a completely different subject, this amused me on the drive home yesterday:

Sorry about the sun, there, but I have to drive west in the evenings, and the phone was not happy about it. I tried to fix it as much as possible.
look closely on the deck at the rear of the trailer

edit:
zoom, enhance:

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 28, 2020

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

My wife just got a bottle of Blanton's can't wait to try it!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rough stuff Beach Bum. I am not prepared for the next decade as far as watching my parents age is concerned. Same for my in-laws. Being the youngest of 5, and my wife 5 of 6 it sucks that my kids will really more remember "old gramma and old grandpa" unlike my nieces and nephews that are in adulthood. Everyone is in good health, but with the youngest between my parents and my in-laws being 69 I just know that the landscape is going to be very different in a decade.

Is anyone here an entrepreneur/business owner? I have been evaluating my career outlook and I am beginning to see that my life plans as far as 1-2 year vision will mean that there is going to need to have some changes. My industry has been deflating and while it has been a great ride for...well my entire professional life I think that I need to plan for a different path. I am wondering if being a business owner/proprietor is in my future.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I have never been able to find that in store but the couple times I've had it I really enjoyed it. Guess I haven't really looked in the last ~6 months, I'll have to get back on that. We've been drinking a lot less though recently, wife has gone completely sober since mid January and I've cut way back in support.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Rough stuff Beach Bum. I am not prepared for the next decade as far as watching my parents age is concerned. Same for my in-laws. Being the youngest of 5, and my wife 5 of 6 it sucks that my kids will really more remember "old gramma and old grandpa" unlike my nieces and nephews that are in adulthood. Everyone is in good health, but with the youngest between my parents and my in-laws being 69 I just know that the landscape is going to be very different in a decade.

Is anyone here an entrepreneur/business owner? I have been evaluating my career outlook and I am beginning to see that my life plans as far as 1-2 year vision will mean that there is going to need to have some changes. My industry has been deflating and while it has been a great ride for...well my entire professional life I think that I need to plan for a different path. I am wondering if being a business owner/proprietor is in my future.

Man my mom is 67 and she drives me insane I have to start being nicer, she comes and stays with me a few days a week because we are in the midst of basketball season for the kids and she gets on my last nerve but her greatest fear is breaking her hip...so scary. I need her.

I have owned my own business for the past 8-10 years because I out educated myself for my profession I went to school for (don't be one semester away from your PhD and try to get a teaching job here). I have a ton of freedom but also everything is on me...luckily things just kind of work for me but I have gotten screwed on taxes and lots of things. Think long and hard before leaving the safety of a "real" job. My close friend who I have got into importing a few cars too left working for himself for a stable income for his family. Very hard to go from freedom to a rigid structure but he doesn't have to stay up at night worrying about work.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My mother is in her 60's and does not take care of her own health. She's currently living alone in a 2800 sq ft house with three cats and refusing to downsize despite not even being able to keep the house clean. Mission 2020 is convince her to sell that house and get her into a cottage home nearby or equal distance between me and my sister.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I would say independent contractor/freelancer is the way to go if you can do that. I did it for a few years and it was great.

I know people that own their own businesses and I wouldn't want that kind of stress tbh. Once you own a business it's your life.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I would say independent contractor/freelancer is the way to go if you can do that. I did it for a few years and it was great.

I know people that own their own businesses and I wouldn't want that kind of stress tbh. Once you own a business it's your life.

It is, its hard to take a break since there is always something to do and you spend a lot of time off thinking "I should do this now" constantly. The learning process can be harsh too when it comes to taxes/fees/licenses since theres no how-to book on every little thing you have to do/pay for the town/state/fed and I ran into a ton of stumbling blocks in the beginning that ended up in fines or fees that I didnt know about.

Once you figure out most of that stuff and it does start to pay off though is a pretty great feeling. The one that always lingers is the "always stuff to do" thoughts and organizing those into being able to take time off when you need/want to is such a relief. loving off for a long weekend now is the best feeling in the world cause I leave those thoughts at home and can have a great time. The hard work pays off eventually just prepare it to be harder and cost more than you think and you will be better off when it comes time to deal with that stuff.

The "I should just get a regular job" thoughts still happen here and there when poo poo is hard but its worth doing it on your own for the most part, its just not easy since yes, it is your whole life and its all on you.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

A friend of mine was selling his ice cream shop on the beach that he owned for years, I thought about it for a second and he was like "I wouldn't sell it to you I like you too much" :v:

He's been much happier since he sold it but he's retired now too....The people that bought it hosed it all up and it's not the same anymore.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

bolind posted:

Pay in cash and tip him a gift card to a restaurant so he can take his lady out. (Or mistress or boyfriend or whatever satisfies his version of "happy wife, happy life.")

I have an Osprey Ozone 46 that has held up to a ton of travel, and also a lot of holding way too much stuff while I'm on my motorcycle. I also have a North Face that I got from a street Vendor in Vietnam (though it looks legit, I think it's one that fell off the truck), but the plastic buckle that holds the straps broke when I had too much weight in it (bringing beer home on the bike). I've had the Osprey 100% full of cans of beer and it didn't take any damage despite a fairly long bike ride.

The North Face had better padding in the straps though. I bought the Osprey ~5 or 6 years ago when I was traveling all the time, and I've been an Osprey evangelist ever since.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

It's certainly not bad, I initially tried it because, well, John Wick drinks it, but I was somewhat irritated to discover that it's gone up 20-30% in price in the UK since I last had some.

Also your liver won't thank you for realising the horse stoppers are a collectible series...

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 28, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
GUESS WHO DRAGGED THEIR rear end ON GETTING HEALTH INSURANCE FOR THREE MONTHS BEFORE THEY BROKE THEIR HIP

:cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes:

Moral dilemma: Do I cash out my poo poo to save her bacon, or recommend a bankruptcy lawyer and pull the ripcord?

Some good news at least: she had surgery this afternoon and it only took 90 minutes for a total hip replacement. Doc said she'll probably go home tomorrow and be walking by next week.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 28, 2020

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Almost definitely the latter, but impossible to judge without more info. Glad she seems to be doing ok, at the very least, and sorry you and your family are dealing with that. I fear these things.

Vote accordingly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Beach Bum posted:

Do I cash out my poo poo to save her bacon
Absofuckinglutely not.

What are your options more along a path of her gifting you her entire net worth, and forcing them to spend the next few decades trying to recoup their costs at $10 a month from someone who is nominally penniless?