Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also if I had a instant handheld scanner that could tell me the age of things, I would probably scan myself at some point?

Would that work, though? Skin regenerates itself constantly, so the scanner probably wouldn't be able to give an accurate reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Angry Salami posted:

Would that work, though? Skin regenerates itself constantly, so the scanner probably wouldn't be able to give an accurate reading.
Length of telomeres, or some poo poo like that.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

*tng theme triumphantly fanfares as a woman resolves to do a leaving las vegas*

gently caress this i'm done

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

piratepilates posted:

I like how starfleet's archival photo of Locutus is literally just a screencap from the TNG episode, with the viewscreen's LCARS in plain sight.

Like the Picard production staff didn't even bother cropping it to hide it.

The events in the TV show are all official Federation footage, filmed in first person, by an intangible alien. I do wonder what kind of surveillance Trek has. People are constantly getting away with poo poo that seems like any ship with that super google nest ship installed would inherently involve some level of surveillance, but generally things seem pretty private. Maybe more private than what we have now. I remember in Disco there was maybe some Spock footage from some kind of surveillance camera but they kind of made it seem pretty low-tech IIRC. And then maybe the footage was doctored ands it was hard for them to tell? Suppose overall should be glad they haven't leaned into surveillance state darkness.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m ok with the show using screencaps of old episodes instead of wasting the budget on new makeup and appliances for Stewart or the same lovely de-aging they gave Spiner.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just give me Old Man Data.

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

Loved seeing Hugh tonight. Very cool that they keep bringing back bit characters.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

Just give me Old Man Data.

This seems like the end goal of the series

Them making a huge deal about flesh and blood androids seems like massive old Data foreshadowing

e.martin
Jun 22, 2018

The Bloop posted:

Them making a huge deal about flesh and blood androids seems like massive old Data foreshadowing

They made too big of a deal of having "data parts" and being able to bring him back from 1 tiny molecule to not have him return.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Bloop posted:

Also we never see the face of Soji’s ‘father’

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ok, that was really solid. I'll agree that it was a bit rushed at the end. On the whole, we just paid off a lot of the slow development in one episode.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

I mean, we heard his voice maybe and it wasn't Spiner

I assumed it was probably Maddox

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Khanstant posted:

The events in the TV show are all official Federation footage, filmed in first person, by an intangible alien. I do wonder what kind of surveillance Trek has. People are constantly getting away with poo poo that seems like any ship with that super google nest ship installed would inherently involve some level of surveillance, but generally things seem pretty private. Maybe more private than what we have now. I remember in Disco there was maybe some Spock footage from some kind of surveillance camera but they kind of made it seem pretty low-tech IIRC. And then maybe the footage was doctored ands it was hard for them to tell? Suppose overall should be glad they haven't leaned into surveillance state darkness.

How many times in classic Trek did the plot involve someone being kidnapped off the ship and the computer never bothered to alert anyone that someone was no longer aboard?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think that's because she was never supposed to see it. The dream was always meant to kick her out before she saw her father's face, so nothing was modeled or created for it in her subconscious. With Narek's help she forced the dream past its terminus and broke the per-programed boundaries and she wasn't able to interpolate or extrapolate a face for him so it just stopped at an indistinct blur.

Like when you hack a video game to see angles of its environment that you're not supposed to see. Like say there's a character model that you only ever see from behind, and you get a chance to see it from the front and you find out that the developers never bothered to give it a face or even any polygons in that area because they assumed that it would never be seen from that angle, so it wasn't worth the effort.

Soji's dream father isn't real and doesn't matter. Bruce Maddox is functionally her father, based off of Data. Or at least we assume with the information we have at the moment. The mystery of her creation was solved in the first episode, it's the mystery of her purpose that we've got left to unravel.

Also yeah this is going to end with bringing Data back. That's kind of the only way that Jurati can probably atone (in her mind anyway) for killing Maddox.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Her dad should be Garak.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Latest Picard was actually kind of good and feels like it's getting on pace. Loved the shot of Picard's face overlayed with Locutus'. Show feels like it's headed somewhere now.

It woukd be kind of poetic if Picard became some huge fighter for XB rights, essentially becoming the Borg moutpiece once again.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

piratepilates posted:

I like how starfleet's archival photo of Locutus is literally just a screencap from the TNG episode, with the viewscreen's LCARS in plain sight.

Like the Picard production staff didn't even bother cropping it to hide it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0wV30UJdh8&t=264s

Hah yeah I appreciated the end visual but they had to make a few compromises to get there. It's a screen grab from the ep but apparently Starfleet also stored it flipped horizontally as well so that it would look correct when the camera pans around to the back side of the "screen".

Could have also worked if Picard is looking at that photo and catches a glimpse in the mirror of his study of it superimposed over his own face. Then you could still have it projected on the "right" side of his face and there's a bit of artsy symbolism in the process.

(I'm not complaining before anyone gets on my case for nitpicking, just thinking about how I'd approach the same thing in the script)

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 28, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also nice little name-drop on the spatial trajector tech coming from the assimilated Sikarians, rip those guys

Harry Kim strikes again!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

oh but seriously I posted:

*tng theme triumphantly fanfares as a woman resolves to do a leaving las vegas*

When Picard started clapping we were thinking "Why is he celebrating that she just ruined another relationship?" but the fact that she is headlong into the abyss and he's like "Yipee I got my papers" is some broccoli level stuff right there.

Elnore/Hugh's last stand feels like arbitrary and meaningless "gotta save your friend later, hero-of-show!" setup. Soji's continued inability to distrust a very transparent Romulan spy is frustratingly weak. I assume the intent is some cop-out "she's programmed to be dumb like the rest of us" but given that the show set up how very villan-y the Romulans are as well as her excessive knowledge of them, it feels wilfully ignorant. I thought that if she died it would have actual impact because there was some development/time to establish attachment for her character in stark contrast to Dahj. If they do go with the "choose between your comically lovely sister and this lady who kisses your stupid face" as predicted earlier it will be embarrassing. Their relationship smacks of mawkish teen-drama and I'm ready for it to be over. It's at least implied there are more flesh-androids, isn't it? That's why the Zhat-twins want to find the "homeworld", and don't give a poo poo about Soji specifically, right? I thought the dream-exploration-meditation thing was neat with respect to some Romulan-Vulcan mind palace connection stuff, and fleshing out the reality that even the Romulan homogenous POLICE-STATE has some cultural stuff hanging about that isn't simplistically sinister sounding.

I appreciate Hugh's awareness given that Romulans are untrustworthy, especially with psychology and the well-being of the (former) drones. "This whole thing is hosed but at least I can help these people" is like, a thing, that a not-poo poo person could think and might act on. Motivation, reflection, thinking, huh. This was the best episode I thought.

It's a nitpick I know, but that Locutus glamour shot being mirrored so Picard can grab the correct side of his face in horror was duuuuuumb, hahaha.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

God, that’s a really interesting point. What if there are/were in fact more Locutuses besides Picard and that Locutus is a designated role when the Borg need a non-Queen interface. Like Seven of Nine was basically introduced as being a Locutus in all but name, a drone specifically granted a measure of individuality and identity for the purpose of interacting with the Voyager crew.

But yeah the Beta Quadrant Borg would definitely recognize Picard as THE Locutus.

Well Locutus is literally just the Borg interlocutor with the Federation, so probably.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 28, 2020

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
I had this discussion with someone over on Daystrom Institute because I am a terrible nerd, but I think this show is ending towards a MUCH more optimistic end than people assume, and I sometimes feel like I've been following a different story than some of the posters here.

This is speculation but I'm going to spoiler it anyway as there was quite a bit of consensus on it in other places.

Someone mentioned that the Romulan tarot cards in the earlier episode showing the death/destroyer card likely symbolize change, not death and destruction, like actual tarot cards. Perhaps the destruction Soji is meant to bring about is not death, but the destruction of the divide between Romulans and Vulcans, and finally bringing about Reunification, thus ending the long Picard/Sarek/Spock arc and giving all 3 of those characters an excellent closure.

Perhaps the super secret society is not holding a ridiculous prophecy, but a fascist/nationalistic group meant to keep Reunification from happening.

PStew did say that this show would have a lot of tones of the modern day including Brexit.

Also this would be super on tone with Chabon

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 28, 2020

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Locutus (and Queen) are more personified borgs to confront races who have problems imagining a hivemind. Like having a speaker, a representative.
Locutus was The Locutus from Borg to the UFP.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Also nice little name-drop on the spatial trajector tech coming from the assimilated Sikarians, rip those guys

gently caress those guys. Interracial slime bastards.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Noise Complaint posted:

I had this discussion with someone over on Daystrom Institute because I am a terrible nerd, but I think this show is ending towards a MUCH more optimistic end than people assume, and I sometimes feel like I've been following a different story than some of the posters here.

This is speculation but I'm going to spoiler it anyway as there was quite a bit of consensus on it in other places.

Someone mentioned that the Romulan tarot cards in the earlier episode showing the death/destroyer card likely symbolize change, not death and destruction, like actual tarot cards. Perhaps the destruction Soji is meant to bring about is not death, but the destruction of the divide between Romulans and Vulcans, and finally bringing about Reunification, thus ending the long Picard/Sarek/Spock arc and giving all 3 of those characters an excellent closure.

Perhaps the super secret society is not holding a ridiculous prophecy, but a fascist/nationalistic group meant to keep Reunification from happening.

PStew did say that this show would have a lot of tones of the modern day including Brexit.

Also this would be super on tone with Chabon

Admittedly I don't know poo poo about Tarot, but do practitioners usually react with actual horror when they flip over the death card and try to kill themselves?

I think your interpretation is an interesting concept for a show, but it's not this one. It lacks any evidence from the text whatsoever to support it and would feel very out of left field as it would be ignoring the entirety of the synth plot and stuff like Jurati being willing to kill her husband because she learned of this secret.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Feb 28, 2020

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

Admittedly I don't know poo poo about Tarot, but do practitioners usually react with actual horror when they flip over the death card and try to kill themselves?

I think you're interpretation is an interesting concept for a show, but it's not this one. It lacks any evidence from the text to support it and would feel very out of left field as it would be ignoring the entirety of the synth plot and stuff like Jurati being willing to kill her husband because she learned of this secret.

I'm thinking that the ZV has been poisoning the well for thousands of years, and language shift has occurred. Not to mention that XB was not mentally in a good place. I just have a feeling that this Brexit/racism/Trump analogy is going to be way more on the nose than we've seen so far. Michael Chabon also continues to insist that "darkness defines the light" and seemingly gesturing wildly at "wait a bit!" which is frustrating in the age of dumped streaming content.

Frakes also said last week in the official podcast that he is the most proud of this project out of anything else he's worked on.

Chabon and Frakes have built up enough goodwill with me that I can't possibly believe there isn't going to be a huge payoff.

Either way, at least I'll have Vajazzle to take out of the experience.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Noise Complaint posted:

I'm thinking that the ZV has been poisoning the well for thousands of years, and language shift has occurred. Not to mention that XB was not mentally in a good place. I just have a feeling that this Brexit/racism/Trump analogy is going to be way more on the nose than we've seen so far. Michael Chabon also continues to insist that "darkness defines the light" and seemingly gesturing wildly at "wait a bit!" which is frustrating in the age of dumped streaming content.

Frakes also said last week in the official podcast that he is the most proud of this project out of anything else he's worked on.

Chabon and Frakes have built up enough goodwill with me that I can't possibly believe there isn't going to be a huge payoff.

Either way, at least I'll have Vajazzle to take out of the experience.

Hey I'm sure they're building towards something, but I don't see them bringing in the Vulcans this late into the game and how any of that would tie into what they've spent 60% of the run time on so far.

I honestly don't know how they're going to resolve this season, which is mostly what's keeping me engaged. The breadcrumbs seem to be leading in one obvious direction (Romulan/Borg connection) and while I would prefer that it's not that, by this point in the show they'd have to pull off one hell of an "of course! The clues were there all along" moment to stick a completely different landing.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 28, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm just happy that those plot leaks posted on 4chan have so far turned out to be bullshit purely concocted to drive those Fandom Menace dickwads bonkers for laughs. In which case, good job 4chan, a sentence I never thought I'd ever type. And even then, the only one I'd really have a problem with being true would be Beverly being dead, that would be a bigger gut punch than Icheb getting fridged.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol nobody ever gave a gently caress about icheb

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

tell that to manu and his echo chamber and their "wildly successful" #justiceforicheb hashtag

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I'm a big enough nerd that I managed to recognize him as Icheb about a second before the eye pull. "Wait, is that Iche-HOLLY poo poo!"

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Did anyone notice that Picard changed his computer usage?

In TNG they would have had a natural search like “computer show me the Borg culture cross indexed with the artifact in Romulan space” and now that it’s 2020 and everyone has used search engines he said “computer search the following keywords: x, y, and z”. Seemed kind of less intuitive.

I hope the federation PageRank system is pretty good in the 24th century!

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It occurs to me just now that one possible evil use of synth technology (not a spoiler for any episode except the first) would be replacing politicians or whoever with body doubles with nearly identical memories, although I don't think that's where they're going, even with mentioning hypotheticals, given all the infiltration storylines that have been done already

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 28, 2020

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Maybe the computers are fancier on Federation starships.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Picard was surprised by what’s going on in the cube because in typical old man using computer style he just did an image search.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Hed posted:

Did anyone notice that Picard changed his computer usage?

In TNG they would have had a natural search like “computer show me the Borg culture cross indexed with the artifact in Romulan space” and now that it’s 2020 and everyone has used search engines he said “computer search the following keywords: x, y, and z”. Seemed kind of less intuitive.

I hope the federation PageRank system is pretty good in the 24th century!

Practically these scenes are meant to show the character researching the problem, to demonstrate both that the information is not widely known, some effort is required to get it; and that the character is intelligent and knows what they're doing. In TNG's days, creating a custom interactable interface would have been a big budget item, so they went with scripted interactions where they try query a, get a large number of results, slightly modify to query b to get fewer results, and then finally settle on query c, and get like 1 or 2 results. I don't mind them moving to a more physical representation of that sequence now that it's not as huge of a budget to do so, as it's more interesting to watch than a character talking vaguely into space.

If you want to head-cannon it, think that the enterprise had a top tier super computer available for the officer's use to solve these problems that was so powerful it could accidentally create murderous sapient AI's, and in civilian life/off a federation flagship, computing power is much more limited.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean the Enterprise computer was bigger than a house and basically sentient

Has to be more powerful than random space Siri

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

galenanorth posted:

It occurs to me just now that one possible evil use of synth technology (not a spoiler for any episode except the first) would be replacing politicians or whoever with body doubles with nearly identical memories, although I don't think that's where they're going, even with mentioning hypotheticals, given all the infiltration storylines that have been done already

The horrible truth the Zhat Vash are trying to conceal - synth technology inevitably leads to Shinzon.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Angry Salami posted:

The horrible truth the Zhat Vash are trying to conceal - synth technology inevitably leads to Shinzon.

Shinzon
Synthzon
Synth John
Synth Jean
Synth Jean Luc

Oh my god.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

marktheando posted:

Picard was surprised by what’s going on in the cube because in typical old man using computer style he just did an image search.

Had to download some ad blockers after Freecloud.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

TheCenturion posted:

Shinzon
Synthzon
Synth John
Synth Jean
Synth Jean Luc

Oh my god.

Get out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This show really seems to love splitting up the crew.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: it was this book
I definitely had that book as a child but I can't remember a single thing about it, aside from recognising the cover.

TheCenturion posted:

One thing I didn't like was how they dragged Raffi, hosed up from the loss of her son, drunk, high, put her in front of Federation Facetime, had her burn a friendship to get Picard what he needed, and his response was to stand up and clap. Then they stick her back into her bunk and completely ignore the fact that she's hurting and grieving and spiraling (back) into self-destruction. Professor Xavier, you're a jerk!
And even with Picard not knowing all the details, he did just hear the bit about "as an old friend I'm telling you to never call me again", but he's just like "good job, excellent, that could not have gone better, congratulations all 'round!" It was weird.

Angry Salami posted:

That seems like the kind of question that just casts doubt on the plausibility of the entire technology. Like, what is it even measuring? The answer is that it's magic, it just works however the story needs it to. And as long as the plot doesn't rely on it working in one way today and then in a totally different way tomorrow, it's fine.

marktheando posted:

He also included the word "the" in his search queries. Twice. :rolleyes: