Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
So uh... I got an email the other day saying basically we can't let you vote in the leader election because the name you're registered with us isn't *exactly* the same as the one on the electoral roll. I did reply to it and got an automated response but nothing since. How hosed am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
You probably need to ask them?

But tell them to send you money back I guess.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Well Edinburgh Central isn't like that :colbert:

Could you have a word with Edinburgh South seen as they’re right next door?

Isomermaid posted:

So uh... I got an email the other day saying basically we can't let you vote in the leader election because the name you're registered with us isn't *exactly* the same as the one on the electoral roll. I did reply to it and got an automated response but nothing since. How hosed am I?

There’s still plenty of time to get it sorted hopefully, voting is open into April. If you don’t get a response soon I’d be looking for someone direct that you can contact, maybe try enlisting the help of someone in a position in your CLP in finding it if it’s not immediately obvious.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Sanitary Naptime posted:

There’s still plenty of time to get it sorted hopefully, voting is open into April. If you don’t get a response soon I’d be looking for someone direct that you can contact, maybe try enlisting the help of someone in a position in your CLP in finding it if it’s not immediately obvious.

Oh cool, I didn't realise it was open so long. There's a meeting coming up so I'll talk to them there. Thanks :)

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Isomermaid posted:

Oh cool, I didn't realise it was open so long. There's a meeting coming up so I'll talk to them there. Thanks :)

Yeah there’s ages until the poll actually closes, but as a disclaimer, if this can be sorted, I’ve no idea how long it’ll take so I’d get started ASAP just in case.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Mebh posted:

Hey goons sorry a few pages behind so if this has been mentioned ignore me!Does anyone know what the Ir35 changes are? I'd never even heard of it until today but my wife has gotten a spate of recruiter contacts this evening say things like

"please don't get annoyed if you are a contractor, yes this is a permanant job but with the ir35 changes coming in its worth saying hello"

I've googled around and found stuff like "HMRC said: “Customers will not have to pay penalties for errors relating to off-payroll in the first year, except in cases of deliberate non-compliance”.

Which doesn't seem... Relevant? Any ideas?

The two minute, semi-drunk recap of IR35.

A lot of the off payroll problem stems from that uniquely British class system. You know, the one that insists that 'managers' must get paid more than the peons doing the actual work under them. Hence all the peons get forced to cast themselves as enterpreneurs.

In 1999, HMRC saw that lots of people were going from permanent employees of a company to 'contractors providing services while being in business of their own account'. Typically this was walk out on the Friday, come back on Monday as a sole trader providing a service. They disliked this, and legislated that you have an employer/employee relationship if you are under the supervision, direction and control of the engager and have mutuality of obligation, i.e. if they offer work you have to take it. Companies panicked, much flapping and gnashing of teeth, eventually people settled on the limited company model for engaging flexible labour (i.e. no sick pay, holiday, notice period, employment rights in general because they were technically engaging a company and not a person) and all was right with the world.

20 years later HMRC decide they don't like the current state of the contact market and everyone should pay 'the right level of tax' again. Ignoring the fact that with higher rates, corporation/dividend tax and VAT (after the flat rate scheme, or for employers who can't reclaim the VAT like banks) contractors generally pay more in raw value terms than those on PAYE anyway (if not necessarily percentage wise - it generally works out about 7% less than if paid as a PAYE salary but, again, without employment rights). They decide to do this by shifting the liability of misjudging whether or not you are inside IR35 from the contractor to the engaging company. Legal departments around Britain shat themselves, and start blanket banning all limited company contractors. Switched on contractors shat themselves, because HMRC have a history of bankrupting people by demanding massive retrospective payments up front, even if they then later go on to lose the legal challenge. See: The Loan Charge, applied retrospectively almost 20 years later.

So, the current state is that a contractor deemed within IR35 (at the same company, without a compensating rate uplift) is looking at probably a 40% real-terms pay cut between being forced to pay out all their earning as PAYE salary and not being able to claim accommodation or travel expenses anymore. They also don't trust HMRC not to go after them retrospectively, so are looking for a hard break from their current engagements. Research / internet polling indicates about 75% of currently engaged contractors are going to move on from their current role before April, whether that's saying gently caress this and retiring, moving abroad (or in a whole lot of cases, i.e. eastern european developers, moving home) for work, scrambling for one of the few places that is still willing to take the risk of an outside IR35 contract, or doing what I did: reading the writing on the wall and loving off to a permanent role for a couple of years to weather the storm.

Of course, losing ~180,000 skilled technical personnel over the course of a few months is going to have no impact whatsoever on ongoing projects. A huge number of people working in banking/defence are not going to down tools and walk off site, taking all their institutional knowledge with them. This will not combine with Brexit and the Coronavirus outbreak to worsen the oncoming recession and usher in the end of capitalism.

Side note: If Labour had gotten into power they would have completely equalised dividend tax / national insurance rates paid by contractors with those paid by PAYE employees. Without the ongoing clusterfuck.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Feb 28, 2020

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I've spoken to some of our many, many contractors (we have like 60 out of 120 IT employees, it's madness) and it sounds like a lot of them are basically going to do a job swap. As RockyB mentioned they don't trust HMRC to look at back taxes so it's not just as easy as converting to a permanent position (even if the loss of earnings was palatable to them). If they go from contractor in position x, to permanent in position x, they fear that HMRC will start investigating their history and determine they should have always been paying PAYE etc.

So the current plan is for everyone to swap around for a few months before things settle down. Apparently it happened in the public sector - one of my colleagues worked for the Met Office, they brought in the same (or similar) ruling, so she swapped with a colleague working in the National Oceanography Center.

We're expecting to lose up to 80% of our contractors, and gently caress knows what we're going to do after that. We have two new ships on the way (now you can guess where I work!) over the next year so it kind of needs to be sorted out now.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Isomermaid posted:

I got an email last week saying I had 'failed ER check' and my application to be a registered supporter (which I hadn't made because duh I've been a member for 4 years) was denied. Anyway, I phoned them up and was told the email was sent in error (this is WITHOUT them asking who I was so there was obviously a booboo somewhere).

Anyway, to cut a long story short, this week I've had two ballot links - one to the original email address I signed up with 4 years ago and one to my 'new' email address which I changed to 2 years ago - which is the one they sent the 'failed ER check' email to. BUT I still use the old email address for my union. So, I don't know whether I have two votes now - one from union affiliate and one from LP or whether they both lead to the same place and it's only one vote (I haven't followed the links yet because I'm still deciding on WEC and NEC candidates to vote for).

All I can say is that the Labour Party needs to sort its basic office administration processes out. It might not be glamorous as campaigning but with approx 500k members, it is vital. (And don't get me started on the shitshow that is Welsh Labour admin).

Check your junk email to see if it has come.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Coohoolin posted:

talking about scotlab here, not uk labour

also it is both simultaneously true that assange is a sexual assaulter piece of poo poo and that him being prosecuted in any way at all, let alone the heinous poo poo we know they're gonna do to him, is a loving travesty.

it is also sadly true that a lot of people with really shity attitudes on rape issues felt like they finally had a popular champion and boy did they run that poo poo into the ground

For all he's a piece of poo poo he allegedly turned down an offer of a pardon from Trump last week in exchange for publicly supporting him and denying any russian involvement in the DNC mail leak (which itself, despite being criticised by a lot of us dems, arguably helped sanders quite a bit by showing how much they were after him).

Report: Trump Tried to Bribe Julian Assange With a Presidential Pardon

Now, he's probably justifiably leery of trusting Trump after he already screwed him over once, but I do still respect it at least a bit.

And of course there's the fact they are pulling all the stops (and with numerous remarks about having him killed I do mean a lot of stops) to get at him for, uhh, facilitating the publication of leaked US documents, without him being a US citizen or even living there.

e: Reading US reddit posts about him I'm seriously wondering how many of them come from the US intelligence; seeing as persona management software is a thing that exists and there's a lot of people very keen on being intentionally dense. I've literally not seen that before on any topic that didn't involve PRC or Israel. Who are both well known for doing that sort of thing.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 28, 2020

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Oh wow, thanks for the effort posts on contract taxation. That's... Unsurprisingly lovely.

Still not sure why a spate of recruiters added that to their job offer template though to my currently unemployed partner.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Good morning,

I keep having recurring dreams that it’s 2005 and I live in an upper middle class home enjoying Xbox 360 and other 2005 stuff while also feeling positive feelings towards centrism.

I’m scared.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Chuka Umana posted:

Good morning,

I keep having recurring dreams that it’s 2005 and I live in an upper middle class home enjoying Xbox 360 and other 2005 stuff while also feeling positive feelings towards centrism.

I’m scared.

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be, chuka.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I was just in the middle of doing a democracy sifting through a billion statements picking the least melty candidates and then the site went belly up.

Vote finally done! Fingers crossed all!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Mebh posted:

I was just in the middle of doing a democracy sifting through a billion statements picking the least melty candidates and then the site went belly up.

Vote finally done! Fingers crossed all!
I just went with the Momentum slate for NEC, saves a bunch of reading. Lauren & Leigh, if anyone's wondering (Lauren sounds like kind of a badass)

Did my democracy, anyway

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CoolCab posted:

We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be, chuka.
Beware that, when fighting Chukas, you yourself do not become Umunna... for when you gaze long into the centrists. The centre gazes also into you.

Private Speech posted:

e: Reading US reddit posts about him I'm seriously wondering how many of them come from the US intelligence; seeing as persona management software is a thing that exists and there's a lot of people very keen on being intentionally dense. I've literally not seen that before on any topic that didn't involve PRC or Israel. Who are both well known for doing that sort of thing.
I've seen a ton of this about the coup in Bolivia. Morales probably did some of the stuff that's come out, but that's not the reason it's coming out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The future is going to be great when being able to convincingly shitpost is the only way to verify you're a real person on the internet.

A shitppoleth.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 28, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

A message to all, for the benefit of our resident fudge packer: apparently Etsy are charging an advertising fee to vendors if the buyer has clicked on any Etsy ad in the last 30 days regardless of what the ad was for. So don't click on Etsy ads, ever, or you're screwing the person you want to buy from.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Jedit posted:

A message to all, for the benefit of our resident fudge packer: apparently Etsy are charging an advertising fee to vendors if the buyer has clicked on any Etsy ad in the last 30 days regardless of what the ad was for. So don't click on Etsy ads, ever, or you're screwing the person you want to buy from.

Thanks for the heads-up on this! Tbh the various nickel-and-diming habits of Etsy are why I’m dubious about them.

(Incidentally yesterday my wife and I packed about 93,000 calories worth of fudge for the convention this weekend. That’s a lot of fudge.)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Everyone should be running adblockers as standard these days anyway.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
We're entering a recession soon i think, not helped by the corona

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's between ten and fifteen years since the last one, so yes.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

The future is going to be great when being able to convincingly shitpost is the only way to verify you're a real person on the internet.

A shitppoleth.
the real dystopia isn't going to be AI-powered robots murdering everyone, it's going to be people unable to solve the hypercomplicated CAPTCHAs required to receive their rations and quietly starving to death because there's no human to appeal to

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
On the plus side, if we measured the economy by the number of copies of the COVID-19 virus rather than by the number of numbers on rich peoples' computers, the economy is booming. Number going up baby!

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Z the IVth posted:

Everyone should be running adblockers as standard these days anyway.

I've been running adblockers for so long and genuinely couldn't remember what the unfiltered internet looked like, then the IT bods at work force uninstalled extensions from browsers - loving hell, every advert on the local paper's website is something like a very dehydrated-looking elderly person's face with a driver's licence (?????) held up in front of them, or a closeup of a pregnant belly with the caption 'YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHY DOCTORS CALLED COPS AFTER SCANNING HER'. It's honestly unsettling and makes you nostalgic for the days of 'click the floating bin Laden head to win a PS2'.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Did we ever leave a recession?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, we left a recession for a period of ideologically enforced austerity.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

VideoGames posted:

The rest of the world did :( SOme parts of it anyway.

jackhunter64 posted:

I've been running adblockers for so long and genuinely couldn't remember what the unfiltered internet looked like, then the IT bods at work force uninstalled extensions from browsers - loving hell, every advert on the local paper's website is something like a very dehydrated-looking elderly person's face with a driver's licence (?????) held up in front of them, or a closeup of a pregnant belly with the caption 'YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHY DOCTORS CALLED COPS AFTER SCANNING HER'. It's honestly unsettling and makes you nostalgic for the days of 'click the floating bin Laden head to win a PS2'.

Seriously, every so often I will end up outside of my usual sites on my phone (which are almost exclusively either completely or almost completely ad free) on like... a standard wordpress site or something and the ads can be horrifying.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Why did doctors call cops after scanning her?

Is that where the 20,000 extra police are? Was there a nonce in there? :ohdear:

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
if we do need a recession ideally we'll time it as I retreat back into academia, thx

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Scanning her? what is she a barcode? Is she a packet of monster munch?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Why did doctors call cops after scanning her?

Is that where the 20,000 extra police are? Was there a nonce in there? :ohdear:

This kind of click bait is called “Chum” and there’s some interesting analysis around. https://www.theawl.com/2015/06/a-complete-taxonomy-of-internet-chum/

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

VideoGames posted:

Yes, if you define recession as 2+ quarters of negative growth.

Please ignore the fact that inflation has been outpacing wage growth for 40 years

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have to assume that given anyone with a working brain installs adblock software that ads now only target like, old people, children, and people with some sort of pathological addiction to clicking on ads.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

MikeCrotch posted:

Yes, if you define recession as 2+ quarters of negative growth.

Please ignore the fact that inflation has been outpacing wage growth for 40 years

I will not ignore this, thank you.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I have to assume that given anyone with a working brain installs adblock software that ads now only target like, old people, children, and people with some sort of pathological addiction to clicking on ads.

So, Etsy customers.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Red Oktober posted:

This kind of click bait is called “Chum” and there’s some interesting analysis around. https://www.theawl.com/2015/06/a-complete-taxonomy-of-internet-chum/
Tag urself I'm Disgusting Invertebrates or Globular Masses.

"Wine. The only booze seen in chumboxes is wine for some reason." is interesting, given that we've spoken about wine itt before (specifically on the reason that lumpen alcoholics weren't called whiskos or beeros).

You can see the version with images here.

OwlFancier posted:

My adblock at home is on my router rather than on each device, because that was easier than installing it on the smarttv thingo.

That means I still get a glimpse of hell internet when I'm on my phone not on wifi though. It fits well with that article.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I used to have a somewhat pathological urge to click on banner ads but then I discovered one weird trick.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm "britain's oldest surviving human brain"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I miss the 'energy companies hate it!' ones, they were at least inventively bad. I guess they're not chum enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Actually no I'm "the #1 trick to stop aging (don't do this)" because it makes me think the trick is destroying the concept of time (don't do it)