Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

less than three posted:

Movie theater chat here Cineplex is expanding their VIP concept, which is where you pay more but no children are allowed, and serves booze. Their upcoming product is dinner, drinks, games and children-free cinemas all in one place which sounds like a winner.

What I don't get is why movie studios aren't doing the same thing MMA is. loving charge out the rear end for poo poo, but at home. I'd rather pay $100 for PPV in my home rather than drag my rear end to the cinema, which frankly sucks rear end. The last time I actually enjoyed going to the cinema I was in a foreign country, I could walk there, it was dirt cheap, I had nothing else to do, and I was drunk as gently caress. Here, it's expensive as gently caress and miserable, and if I want to go to one of the cinemas that serves booze, I've got to pay for a cab or spend half my life on transit. This is not a winning combo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I assume that most people who go to the cinemas that serve booze don't drink so much that they can't drive themselves home.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Liquid Communism posted:

Piracy's making a comeback because it now takes 9 different monthly streaming services to have access to everything and even then there is stuff that just plain isn't on any streaming platform.

When you, for some godawful reason, want to watch Mean Guns at 3am there's no place to do so legally.
This. The business model of streaming services is literally monetising pirate laziness. That only works until some dumbass MBA proposes to pull their content from Netflix to put it into CBS All Access even though they're operating in a market that by definition only works when it's monolithic.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i really don't understand any business model that doesn't cater directly to my crippling alcoholism tbh

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

How are u posted:

I assume that most people who go to the cinemas that serve booze don't drink so much that they can't drive themselves home.

The acceptable amount of alcohol to drink if you're driving is "none" and if you think otherwise then maybe you're the one with the unhealthy relationship with alcohol. One standard drink is metabolized roughly every three hours so unless you're having one drink before the previews, and then watching the film, you shouldn't be driving.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

PT6A posted:

What I don't get is why movie studios aren't doing the same thing MMA is. loving charge out the rear end for poo poo, but at home. I'd rather pay $100 for PPV in my home rather than drag my rear end to the cinema, which frankly sucks rear end. The last time I actually enjoyed going to the cinema I was in a foreign country, I could walk there, it was dirt cheap, I had nothing else to do, and I was drunk as gently caress. Here, it's expensive as gently caress and miserable, and if I want to go to one of the cinemas that serves booze, I've got to pay for a cab or spend half my life on transit. This is not a winning combo!

Sorry you don't live somewhere better.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Cicero posted:

Games are loving great now and cheap as all hell unless you're a dumb whale who blasts hundreds of dollars on cosmetics and "boosts"

$60 for full price games in 2020 is so much better than the SNES era

That’s what Blockbuster was for: rent a game on Friday after school and play it straight for 48 hrs for $5

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
There's a new cinema near me that's just opened with only two screens, and each one only has about 30 seats. It's the best cinema I've been to for a long time.

They're the anchor store for a new complex that refreshed an old warehouse complex and there's some nice boutique restaurants there too. More of those should happen.

They're also right next to a train station and it's a 10 minute ride to my train station. Suck it losers I'm getting Drunk at the cinema on reasonably priced cocktails

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

PT6A posted:

One standard drink is metabolized roughly every three hours
Eh?

quote:

On average, the liver can metabolize 1 standard drink per hour for men, or about 0.015g/100mL/hour (i.e., a reduction of blood alcohol level, or BAC, by 0.015 per hour). 
https://americanaddictioncenters.org/alcoholism-treatment/how-long-in-system

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Not sure why you'd engage someone trolling as obviously as that, but here we are.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

How are u posted:

In my experience its really expensive and the service is super slow, so unless you're ordering multiple drinks at a time you're probably not getting smashed.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

PT6A posted:

The theaters are very much against making movies available outside of the theater while they are still screening. Look at all the promises Netflix had to make to get its movies on the big screen just for limited engagements. At least we aren't in France where a 3 year delay between theatrical release and home release is federal law.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

duz posted:

At least we aren't in France where a 3 year delay between theatrical release and home release is federal law.

Lol what

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

"Media Chronology"

quote:

After the theatrical release, a film can be exploited first on DVD, video, or pay Video on Demand after four months. After 10 months, it can be shown on pay TV channels (such as Canal Plus in France). After 22 months, it can be broadcast on free TV. Finally, after 36 months, the film can be on subscription-based streaming media services such as Netflix.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sheenascott/2018/11/12/the-importance-of-media-chronology-for-french-cinema/

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
As someone who doesn't really watch films, I'm surprised by the France thing. That sounds like a blatantly corporate protectionist policy in a country that generally has better consumer protections than the US or the UK. As an example, French tv/mobile/data/internet is usually much cheaper than the US or Canada. I share an office with a Frenchmen and he has brought it up on more than one occasion.

PT6A posted:

I had no idea that MMA PVPs were so expensive; it says something about a culture that people will pay that bloody much to see two roided-up rodeo clowns legitimately hurt each other. WWF/E used to have pay-per PVPs, but they never were that much. I'm no longer a subscriber, but I have to admit that WWE network is great value for money. I took the one-month free trial a while back and the amount of content is massive given that WWE has absorbed virtually every other promotion that ever was due to their privileged position, underhanded tactics and the incompetence of their competitors.

JustJeff88 fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 27, 2020

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

JustJeff88 posted:

As someone who doesn't really watch films, I'm surprised by the France thing. That sounds like a blatantly corporate protectionist policy in a country that generally has better consumer protections than the US or the UK. As an example, French tv/mobile/data/internet is usually much cheaper than the US or Canada. I share an office with a Frenchmen and he has brought it up on more than one occasion.

I had no idea that MMA PVPs were so expensive; it says something about a culture that people will pay that bloody much to see two roided-up rodeo clowns legitimately hurt each other. WWF/E used to have pay-per PVPs, but they never were that much. I'm no longer a subscriber, but I have to admit that WWE network is great value for money. I took the one-month free trial a while back and the amount of content is massive given that WWE has absorbed virtually every other promotion that ever was due to their privileged position, underhanded tactics and the incompetence of their competitors.

They're special events that you invite you and your buddies over to watch and eat and get drunk and everyone chips some cash in so it's only like $10 a head.

If you're a single dude watching a $100 PPV alone in your own house then lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

JustJeff88 posted:

right now it costs $65 plus a $5 ESPN+ monthly subscription to watch a UFC PPV

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

PT6A posted:

I think there was a service where you could pay $50 to see movies same day streaming, but it required its own equipment and there just wasn't a market for it

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Thundercracker posted:

I think there was a service where you could pay $50 to see movies same day streaming, but it required its own equipment and there just wasn't a market for it

At least one service like that does still exist, but it is geared toward the absurdly wealthy and costs guillotine-worthy amounts and requires you basically own your own cinema-grade equipment.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

ReidRansom posted:

At least one service like that does still exist, but it is geared toward the absurdly wealthy and costs guillotine-worthy amounts and requires you basically own your own cinema-grade equipment.

And God help you if the content they send to you gets out in the wild. You're basically under the same fingerprinting system that the studios use when handling editing copies and VIP copies for studio execs. I had an acquaintance years back that worked for the MPAA. They do not gently caress around. While everyone was getting mad at the RIAA for litigating the hell out of everything back in the aughts, they overlooked the fact that the MPAA was a couple factors more effective in policing the distribution of their own content and basically cleaning out anyone who crossed them. I can understand it, too. The production costs of movies are exponentially more expensive and labor/tech intensive than music.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
The other day I thought about watching the sonic movie to kill time before a train but they wouldn't let me in with a backpack and going in seemed more similar to boarding an airplane level of security theater. Movie theaters in America are normally pretty bad

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.

FCKGW posted:

They're special events that you invite you and your buddies over to watch and eat and get drunk and everyone chips some cash in so it's only like $10 a head.

If you're a single dude watching a $100 PPV alone in your own house then lol

For MMA and boxing sports bars are so loud I can’t hear the commentary, and it’s rare I can arrange 5 people to come over to split the cost like I did when I was a kid for wrestling PPVs. Maybe movie theaters should make the push for boxing and MMA events.

Isn’t this what closed circuit was for before PPV? What was the noise etiquette for those events?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Crazy Mike posted:

For MMA and boxing sports bars are so loud I can’t hear the commentary,

Why do you need to hear commentary?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Doctor Butts posted:

Why do you need to hear commentary?

Uh, Rogan Nation doesn't take a day off man.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm not surprised, France also got mad at Amazon for the audacity of offering free shipping, and there's a law that caps how large of a discount you can offer on books off the MSRP for some dumb reason.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

PT6A posted:

The acceptable amount of alcohol to drink if you're driving is "none" and if you think otherwise then maybe you're the one with the unhealthy relationship with alcohol. One standard drink is metabolized roughly every three hours so unless you're having one drink before the previews, and then watching the film, you shouldn't be driving.

No. For average men (most goons) one standard drink is metabolized every hour.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

PT6A posted:

I have a very healthy relationship with alcohol. We get it on multiple times a night.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cicero posted:

I'm not surprised, France also got mad at Amazon for the audacity of offering free shipping, and there's a law that caps how large of a discount you can offer on books off the MSRP for some dumb reason.

Literally anything that hurts Amazon or opposes it in any way is good at this point. Go France!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Sekhmnet posted:

In my experience its really expensive and the service is super slow, so unless you're ordering multiple drinks at a time you're probably not getting smashed.

Yeah no joke, it can vary wildly. I've gone to independent theater-pubs that serve phenomenal craft beers for regular prices ($5-$8/pint) but also to chain cinemas that have 'upgraded' to the big reclining seats and added a bar that will sell you a big glass of Coors or whatever for $12 or a glass and a half of wine for $15.

So that's why we just sneak booze in in a purse.

e: also "no drinks at the theater" guy sounds like a real square :dadjoke:

How are u fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 27, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

NaanViolence posted:

No. For average men (most goons) one standard drink is metabolized every hour.

I looked it up and according to the FAA it's between one and two hours on average, I can't recall where I got three hours from.

Still, you shouldn't drink any amount and then drive. Not at bars, not at restaurants and not at cinemas. There's not really a safe level of intoxication when it comes to operating a vehicle, there's only a level that we're willing to accept. For bars and restaurants this is not an issue for me, there are tons within walking distance of where I live, but cinemas are typically located at the ends of the earth, so it's a lot less convenient to walk or get there by transit.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Goons don’t drink and drive please.

Retail thread: Goons can drink and drive a little bit, as a treat.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

PT6A posted:

I looked it up and according to the FAA it's between one and two hours on average, I can't recall where I got three hours from.

Still, you shouldn't drink any amount and then drive. Not at bars, not at restaurants and not at cinemas. There's not really a safe level of intoxication when it comes to operating a vehicle, there's only a level that we're willing to accept. For bars and restaurants this is not an issue for me, there are tons within walking distance of where I live, but cinemas are typically located at the ends of the earth, so it's a lot less convenient to walk or get there by transit.
In theory it's best to not drink at all, but it's also best to never drive tired, never drive at night, never drive once you turn 60...

If we're willing to accept a certain well-studied amount of risk, and you're under that amount, I'm not going to judge.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I have 8 movie theaters close by - one of them just opened. I took my son to Sonic last weekend and it was sold out. They’re always busy. I probably see a dozen a year.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Pillowpants posted:

I have 8 movie theaters close by - one of them just opened. I took my son to Sonic last weekend and it was sold out. They’re always busy. I probably see a dozen a year.

Once they put in the lounger seats, both of my local theaters started selling out regularly. Amazing what happens when you cut the capacity in half.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Goons don’t drink and drive please.

Retail thread: Goons can drink and drive a little bit, as a treat.

Retail is where expectations meet reality.

Can't wait till the gummie bears have weed in them at 21+ theaters.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dylan16807 posted:

In theory it's best to not drink at all, but it's also best to never drive tired, never drive at night, never drive once you turn 60...

If we're willing to accept a certain well-studied amount of risk, and you're under that amount, I'm not going to judge.

I'm a lot more afraid of the guy who's driving home from his second 8 hour shift of the day than someone who had a single beer with dinner.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

PT6A posted:

Don’t drink and drive. But you’re wrong here. Sorry, former bartender here. If I have a single cocktail with dinner out with friends, and am out and about for two hours, I’m fine to drive. So are most people.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Just in case you thought online retail was any better, online flea market Etsy has decided to gouge away to get those sweet year-on-year profit numbers up.

https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/introducing-etsys-risk-free-advertising/729663416588 posted:

On Etsy, there’s a world of opportunity available to you. Millions of shoppers come to Etsy looking for items like yours and running your business here is the only way to reach them.

But, how can you expand your reach even further? Advertising can help.

As an Etsy seller there are two ways you can advertise: on Etsy and across the web. Today we’re excited to announce two important updates, coming in April, that will help you increase traffic to your shop with advertising.

New: We’re introducing an updated advertising service, Offsite Ads, which uses Etsy’s budget and expertise to promote your items on multiple high-traffic sites including Google, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Bing. When a shopper clicks on one of those online ads for your products and purchases from your shop within 30 days, you’ll pay an advertising fee. You only pay an advertising fee when you make a sale—eliminating the risk you could pay for ads that don’t work for you. Offsite Ads is only available on Etsy—we designed it with the unique needs of Etsy shop owners in mind.

We’ve also made updates to our existing advertising tool, Etsy Ads. Now when you run an Etsy Ads campaign, your budget will only go toward advertising your listings to shoppers on Etsy. Google is now part of Offsite Ads, so we’ll no longer use your Etsy Ads budget for Google Shopping.
For most sellers, Offsite Ads is optional, but it’s a great opportunity to grow your business, so all sellers will be automatically enrolled. You’ll get risk-free advertising run by our experienced team of experts and you’ll only pay a fee when you make a sale, so there’s no upfront costs for you.

If you’ve made more than $10,000 USD in sales on Etsy in a 12-month period you’ll benefit most from offsite advertising. So, you’ll be required to participate for the lifetime of your shop and you’ll get a discounted advertising fee.

We’ll calculate your sales for the past 12 months as of February 19, 2020. You can see how much you’ve made in your Stats.

What does this mean in practice?

Etsy runs ads on major sites for your store on an opt out basis, with stores doing more than $10k a year not allowed to opt out.

If a buyer clicks on one of those ads, and buys from you within the next 30 days, Etsy charges you at 15% premium on the sale on top of the 10% they already collect. For those required to join, that fee is reduced to 12%.

Note the adserv for this includes Google Shopping, so if someone googles the name of your Etsy store the first few hits at top of page are all going to be ads though this program.

Gotta love capitalism. Any time something works, it's time to crank up the monetization to make the shareholders erect.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

TP outta stock in Costco yay panic buying!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Bar Ran Dun posted:

TP outta stock in Costco yay panic buying!

loving lol

costco is one of the corps I'd actually expect to drum up disaster hype so they sell out of canned chickens in 1 day