Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Spermanent Record posted:

Guess who just got quarantined....

Time to catch up on some videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

This is the first time I've really ventured outside my usual subforums but I need to hear some facts on whats happening that isn't sensationalist. Can I please get some information before I vanish to the other parts of the forum?

I have severe anxiety. I'm under prepared for something like this as I'm barely scraping by on paycheck to paycheck I get. I've been attempting to stay positive in all this but tonight it finally broke when a friend of mine was thinking about suicide out of fear. He cried, told me we were going to all die and it was hard, but I got him to calm down. He promised he wasn't going to do anything and I'm driving to his place tomorrow to check in on him. But it's now 1:30am and that anxiety has completely pushed me over the edge myself and I really don't know who or what to turn to anymore.

My biggest concern outside of myself is my mom who is just lousy with medical conditions so I'm terrified for her safety (She's 68). Taking care of her medicine has left me with a pretty bare fridge and not a lot in the way of supplies as I live a week to week life. What can I do to keep my family safe because I'm just living in a fear addled world right now and I feel completely crushed by hopelessness

Like, is there any silver lining at all in this? Are the people that recovered just getting sick again right away or just... anything? I want to feel hopeful but the internet seems far more interested in panic and telling me that Bernie will somehow find the cure himself if I vote for him or Warren or whoever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Uh I'd just log off the internet and not watch the news.

You aren't going to die and your friend isn't going to die.

Your mom will probably be fine too.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Most people get minor or no symptoms. That's the facts. Panic won't help, in all likelihood if you or your Mom catch it, it'll be like a minor cold. Tell your friend to stop being an rear end in a top hat.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Worst case scenario you'll get back your fridge.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Like, is there any silver lining at all in this? Are the people that recovered just getting sick again right away or just... anything? I want to feel hopeful but the internet seems far more interested in panic and telling me that Bernie will somehow find the cure himself if I vote for him or Warren or whoever.

Silver lining is housing prices should go down and millennial equity should go up as boomers die of the coronavirus and their housing equity gets passed on to their kids when the houses sell. Other silver lining is most politicians are in the highest chances of dying category, so cheer up buddy

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

This is the first time I've really ventured outside my usual subforums but I need to hear some facts on whats happening that isn't sensationalist. Can I please get some information before I vanish to the other parts of the forum?

I have severe anxiety. I'm under prepared for something like this as I'm barely scraping by on paycheck to paycheck I get. I've been attempting to stay positive in all this but tonight it finally broke when a friend of mine was thinking about suicide out of fear. He cried, told me we were going to all die and it was hard, but I got him to calm down. He promised he wasn't going to do anything and I'm driving to his place tomorrow to check in on him. But it's now 1:30am and that anxiety has completely pushed me over the edge myself and I really don't know who or what to turn to anymore.

My biggest concern outside of myself is my mom who is just lousy with medical conditions so I'm terrified for her safety (She's 68). Taking care of her medicine has left me with a pretty bare fridge and not a lot in the way of supplies as I live a week to week life. What can I do to keep my family safe because I'm just living in a fear addled world right now and I feel completely crushed by hopelessness

The silver lining is that you, your friend, and your mom are all going to live. Unless you and your friend hyperventilate yourselves to death, ị̷̳̻͑̈́̊ń̸̠̻̈́̎͝ ̸͕̒w̶̲̱͇̾̊ḧ̸̪͂͊͌ĩ̵̡̼̜̀ͅc̷͍̲̜̈́̈h̵̯̯̗̩͂̅ ̵̻̆̆̄c̶̳̜̊̽a̶̧̢͓̲̎͋̇̀s̴̡̽̀̚͝ȇ̶͎̗ ̷̻́͋y̷͎̤͓̓ọ̴̔̐͝ư̷̲̳̄r̴̡̥̲͍̔̋ ̴̢̎̏ḿ̴̛̙̎͌o̶͈͉͚͚͋̒́̒t̴̨̾͘h̵͉͓͂̌ḛ̶̢̰̉͑̔̚͜r̸͉̔̀̋̾͜ ̶̡̼̀̂̐̕c̵̬̰͛ȧ̴̩̭͉̀ͅn̶̪͓̱͇͌̈́́ ̶̦̎̈́̕s̶͇̿̾ḛ̵̡̢͗́ļ̶̏̌́̏l̴̟̐ ̵̼͂͝y̵̹̖͈̬͐̓̊ŏ̸̦̲̎́͠ȕ̷̜̙͙͙͗̓̚ŗ̵̗̓̄̆̉͜ ̸̡͇̪̈̐̔ͅv̴̺̬̮͙̑̓̕i̷̛͉̟̼̦͒d̸͔̘̺̆͠ͅę̶̟̠́̕o̷̪̾̊͌̑g̴̨̧͌ä̴̹̘̬m̵̛͎̀͠è̷̘̿s̴͙̔̍ ̴͔̜̜̭͑̑̓ţ̷̻̬̎̎̍̿̇̀͆̾͂̔̉o̶͐͊͒̌ͅ ̸̙̅͒̈́̆̐̍̒̋͝b̵̮̺͛̂̀̎̈̑̓̋͗͐͝ų̸͉̠̙͕̘̜͙̇̄͂̂͝y̵̮̍ ̷̨͙̥͓͕͈͗̋͑͋̓e̸̛͕̮͆̌̈́̅̊̽͒̀͝s̵̝̦̭͍͙̱̼̓̈́͜s̵̱̔͗̀̎͂̃͘͜͝͝͝e̸̢̛̛̖̱͎̯͈͊̈́̉̏́́̓͝ǹ̴̪̞̰̗̬̰̘͎̠̃͛̂̀t̸͍͍̮̗̹́̅̕į̷͖͕͚̟̀̃̄̅̽̏͒̊̀͘ạ̶̫̰̔̾̀̒̋́̐͝l̷̛̩͈̹͍̦̥̀̄̈́͆̃͌́͛̃̕s̵̡̲̫͓̼̅͗̅̅́ ̶̢̡̰͔̯̜̰̙͘͜ļ̶̨͖̥̫̥̀i̴̹̖̤̥̟͈͋̏̓͒̈ḱ̶̢̤̣̱̪͍̋̂̐̓ȅ̸̛̝͊́͐́̀̉̂͝ ̴̡̪͖̳͇̒̊͛̈́̇͌̍͐͝͝b̷͉̃͌̉͂̅̿̒͆͆̚̕e̶̠͔͉̬͖͒̉͒̏̌̀͗͆̐ͅͅā̷̺͔̦͔̇ͅṋ̴̿̒͒͝s̶͇̘̻͈̫̽́͊̀̇͒͂̊̈́,̵̨̪̯̰̻̬͖̦͋̏̉ ̸̱̹̣͇͕̘̯̃̆̓́̾͘ͅr̷͇̦̯̳͇͊i̵̹̹̩͛͊̉̇́̑̓́͝ĉ̴̯̠̑̆͂͒̀͊̓͋͝ë̸̢̟̘̘̞̰́͋̈̀͗̌̂̈́̕,̷̡̡͔̭͙͔͔̞̾̿̾͑́̕̕ͅ ̵̧̹̠̝͕̪̘̙̋̈́͝w̸͉̙̆̽̆̅̒̕̕͠a̵͙͓̗͉͍͉̥̓t̷̡̢̛̬̯̝̤̠̅̅͛̄̎̇̊̈͜͝͝e̵̠͉͚̺͎̟̙̥̻̎̅͛͋͌̎̄͂̚̚r̷̜͚͇͕̾̾ ̶̱̻̟͕̮̏̄͑͂͒̃̋̚̕͝a̸̞̣̻̠͔͈͂̏̑́̈́̍̒̅̈́̑n̸̡̨̧̪̺̰̙̭͌͂͆̈́̾̑̚d̷̹̬̟͗͗̾̈̄̿̄̃͒͝͠ ̷̡̲̘̗̣͎͍̯̆̚ͅ3̸̡͉̹͇̋́̿0̸͎̑̿̉̒̀͐͝ͅr̴̹̪̔̇̉̔̒̓̑̚͝o̶͔̱̔͐̋̀̏̉̆̕͝ụ̷̧̬̺̗̟̻̝͊̋͆̍̒̑̏̕͠n̵̻̘͖̜͉̦͗̌̉͂̒̔͌̕͠d̵̡͓̭̞͕̗̙̮̈̀͒̌̋̿̂̀ ̶̢̜̞̅̊̒͋̾̒̇̈́A̴̢̖̬͉̥̬̝̿̑̅̃͋R̵̲͙̮̙̊͋͂̄̀́͂͊̎-̶̞͎̼͔̥̝̲̎̾͗̃1̶̨̣̤̩̞͒̕5̸̹̯͕̆͑̋͂͘͝ ̶̡͎͓̎͂̆̅͜m̵͉̠͕͐͒̋͊͛̌̉͋͝͝ă̷̢̡͚̳̥̹͔͈̗͈̿̕̕̕͝ģ̷͚̖͚͛̂̐͊͆͠à̶̬͕̩̟̯͒͐͗̿͌ͅz̵̩̭̰̳͙̏̏̿͜i̶̡̧͈̟̥͇̙̇͜n̶̫̑͒ë̴̺͔̻́́͐̂́̈́ͅs̷̡̛̘͉͎̰͖̜̣͚̳̥̅̀̑̅͐̚.D̵̛̬̮͎̪̥̻͎̪͖͔͇̳̳̥̟̽̆͐̃̈̓̽̂̄͌͂̈͌͛͐̅̈́̐̎̑̿̇̎̋͘̚͘͜͠ͅó̷̡̢̡̜͇͉̣̘̭̖͍͓͓͈̤͙̠̳̼͍̖̘̻̹͉̉̿̈́͊̃́͂̄́͘͝ ̴̨̰̬̲̭͖͉̲̖̮͖̠̱̰̲͙͕͔̯́̈́́̿̌̓̕͜͠ͅͅy̷̛̲̻̮̠͒͑̏̀̇̑̇̀̀͐́̎̒̋̏̿̓̾̓̉͐͘̕͝͝͠ớ̵̡̜̇͌̓̆̍̈́͂̎͌͠ų̵̢̨̛͎͚̗̙͉̞̱͚͉͖͇̠̟͇̳͌̈̆͐̏̕͘͜͠ͅ ̶̢̛͚̦͙̥̳̜̥̻̯̳̈́̈́͋̊̄k̶͎͍͔̱̥̞͔͊n̸̨̹͂̔̀̇̏ͅò̸̢̡̡͕̮͚̙͔̟͕͔̲͔͔͖̹̯͇̦͖̟̌̔͂̎̍̆̿͋̍̽͆͗̂̎̋̓̄̇̑̍̅͒̈́̽͋̕̚ͅw̷̧̛͓̪̱̫͇̼͈̲͖͇͉̰̝͎̝̙̣̱͉̱̭̗͚̦̄͌̾͑̅́̈́̀̀̈̃̿͘͜ͅͅ ̶̢͖̺̹̟̫̦͓̹̘̼̫͖̹͉̠͓̞͉̜̟͍͇̺͕͐͛͊̃́͑̋͐͋͗̎͊̽͐̄̅̉̃͝͠ḫ̸̡̡̻͇̣̮͖̯̻̮̖̱̞̣͎̖̰̮̟̜̬̲͆̈́́͋̿ó̸̡̡̙̰͖̣̙͉̹̠̜̾̀̎͑̚͝ͅẉ̶̨͍̯̹̦̭́̅͑̆̍̓̑̀̓̆̄́̈̈́̒͛͘̚͜͠͝͝͠ ̸̨̢̨̲͕̣͈̪͉͎̞̬̩̱͚̱͚͎̺̭̮͎̟̭̬͔͛̈̀̐̿̑̔͐̎̈́̔̈̈͂̉̀̈̓̚̚̚̚͜͜͝ͅt̶̛̛͈͔̗̫̳̘̳͙͛͊́͆̄̌͐̊̇͗̃̂̋̔̾͊́̒̈̚̕͠͝ơ̸̛͕̅̈́̓̄̓͌̀̃̔̐̊̔̀͝ ̷̜̺̎̔̀̄̿̽̈́̑͑̉̍͗͌̇̒̂͛͛͊̋͐́́̀͘̚͘͝͝w̵̡̛̘͚͚̺̤͐̒̓̉͛͊̑͌̑̅̈̊̊̐̂͂̈̏͌͊̒̅͑̐͘̚͝͝e̶̡̪͔̜͚̦̗͍̱̞̦̠̞̺̱̲̼̐̿̃̎͋͋̈́̔̇͋̾̆̋̊͒̏̿͒̏̏͛l̸̢̩͉̮͑̓ḑ̷̛̛͎̤̗̬͇̹̼̽͆̒͒̎͑̔̉̇́͗̓̅̐͋̋͒͑̏̽͌͗̄͘͜͝͝͠ͅ?̵̨̢̗͉̪̰̟̗̥̘̯͈͎̥̝̘̠̖͇̝͎̟͔͇̟͚͉̪̈́̽̓̈́͋̆̐͆̇̾̈́̒̑̃̑͒́̉̾͑̀͂̌̉̆͝ ̷̡͈͍̘̩̺̩̖̺̤̥̩̞̼̩̼͙͙̀̀͗̌͒̆̓͊̋͌̓̑͜M̴̢̠̲̟̰͚͇̫̼͓͎̒̽̑̂͌͐͗͋͛͂̓͐̀̈́̽͒̒̐̒̇̄͐̃͘͜͠͠͝ë̴̡̼̥̲̝̰̝̙͇͙̘͙͔͉̯̘̝͇͉̤͋͌̌͒̌͂̽t̵̛͉̩̰̩̯̠͎̪͗̔̏̐̐̽̄́̔̆̊͒̕̚͠͝ͅą̵̡̢̛̯̬͈̱̜͇͎̝̩͚̜̠̠̬̤̲͙̣̪̞̪͓̃̆̇̎͗̀͋̊̐̒̀̽̇̅͗͛̆̈͜ͅͅl̴̢̡̨̛͚̬̠̗̲͇̲͍̏̏̏̂̽̆̀̄̆̑̅̾̿̃̉̄̍̓̅̍͘͝͠͝͝͝ľ̷͚͙͖͎͋͂̐̍̐͗̀̎̂̆̄͑̒̈̈́̾̅̌̾̉͊̊̈̋͘̚͜ī̷̢̦͉̹̖͈̼̘̜͍̐̓̉͆͛̌̄̑͘ͅc̷̢̛͓͓̯̰͖̣̅̂ ̸̨̧̯̹͚̮͈̬̱̬̜̳͓̺̹̥̯̹̪̗̉͝ş̸̜͈͔̈͗͛̈́͌͂̒̎̑̕͘͘͝e̷̥̥͖͙͉̫͇͉̦̣͔̰͕̗̦̱̽ą̸̛̹̰͚͚͉̲̖̜̞̤̄́͑̎͊l̸̡̧̡̧͙̞̦̰͓̬͙̲͓̼̪͔̱̻͙̺̩͇̣̮͙̩̅͗̔̽̅̒́̚͝ͅḯ̵̧̧̨͕̝͖̘̤̼͙̮͉̬̜̤̹̹̳́̚n̷̡̡̢̛̛̺͇̝̥͇̘̺̜̤̼͚͈̠̪̍͆̀̒̒͛͒̍͑̌͐̉͒̅̑̓͘͜͜g̷̨̢̢̢͍̤͕̣̯̮̣̝̯̜͈͎̖̠̘̾͑́̋̈́̈́̈́̓̍͒̉̎͜͜ͅ ̶̨̰̯̫̟̠͖̼͇͙̥̄̍̃͝͠ͅǫ̶̩̬̪̟̳͚̯͔̬͍̞͍́́̀̏͑̀͂̂̽̃̉͒̚͝͠f̷̢̡̢̡̣̱̩̙̺͓̙̜͚̉̇̂̅͆̀͗́͆̋̌͐̇̀̄̏͒̔͆͒̆̓͘͘͘̚͝͝ ̷̗͆͋̾̔̃̔̔̄̈́́͆̀̔̓̆͊̾͑͘͠w̶̪̜̯̬̌̈́̆̈́̑͗̒͛͌̈̀̑̋̉̓͆͊͒̀͂̌͌̐̉̕͘͠͝͠i̷̺͍͇̦͂͋́̑̋̅̆̐͘ń̷̙͍̰͍̯͈̗̖͚̩̘͉̹̼̗͒̌͌̀̈́̊̄̅̓͝d̸̢̪̬͔̻͙̮̰̥̮̩̈́̄͋͗̏͐͒͊̔̈́̌̂͆͑̍́̚͝͠ơ̸̢̨̨̞̭̟̹̮͍͕̭͙̠̬̏͌̉̿̈̆͌̈͘w̴͉͉̦̫̯̺͂̂̑̏̇̾͊̋͂̄̋́̅̒̂͋͒̋̏͗͠͝͝͝s̷̡̰͍̳͔͉̘͙̣̲͋̍͋͋̓͒͜͝ ̴̢̦̭͕̼͓̜̻͔̲̮̻̼̹͇̤̇͐̒̽͐̀̔͌̃̑͛̃͘̕á̸̢̗͇͔̼͎̗̌͌́̊̄̂̅͐̾͂͑̋́̆̈̐̆̅̏̒̑̚͠͝͝͠n̸̦͎̒̐̈̾͆̒̍̈̐̓̓̈̿̕͝d̴̛͇̥̫̙̿̒̇͆͛̓̔͊́́ ̸̦͈͚̦͇̤̯̱͇̲̣̻̠̠̼͍͕̙͙̼̰̏̑͋̐̑D̶̻͇͉͂̌̑̈̾̇̃͐̾̒̾̅̚ở̶̡͈̻̰̀͑̎̈̌̚̚͝ͅǫ̴̧̡̲̣͚͚̱̮͕͇̒̈͌͊͗͝ȑ̴̦͉̮͉̙̞̹̺͍̬̻̦̭̫͈̼̠̟̏̀͊͛̎̈́̎̎̃̑̊̿̾͜ͅs̵̢̢̡͓̜̺̻͔͉̙͚̺͎͍͇͓̼͕̖̳̩̯̥̠̜̜̮̤̓͂͂̃̋͋͆͌̕͠ ̴̨͍̩͖͙͔͚͖̼͙̱̭͈̩̯͔̰̂̔͜͝w̸̡̙̬͖̥̰̣̥͚̓̀̄͆͋̋̌̃́̇̿͂̋͗͛̽̈́̅̈́̊͠ī̴̧̧̡̛̛̜̺̰̹͉͙̬̮͔̘͕̪̣̠̘̬͎͙̍̀̋̏́̂͛̄̃̎́̃͗̉̕l̶̢̟̻͙͉̔͜l̴̛͖̫̱̜̙̀̐̈́̆͒̈́̄͐̿́̾́͘͠ ̸̢̧̨̭̭̹͉̠͓̳̹̙͍̿̆͐̿̀͆͆͒̋̆͛͗͗̾̀̃͑̂͜͜b̴̨̲͚̳̙̝̖͙̙͉̗͚̺̼̓̓̍̒̆̐͊̅͛̄́̇̈̊̈̈̚ẹ̸̖͔͝ ̸̧̛͈̞̥̺͕̘̭́͌́̂̑̈́͋͂̈̒̄͛̇̈́̇̀̄V̷͖͇̻̺͓̫̮̪̟͇̲̼̲̫̤̲̤̾̿̔̊̑̄̓̌̒͠͠e̷̖̞̣͙̺̬̰͔̳̮̩͎̘͓͕͜͠r̴̨̛̛̘̹͍̰̜̣̩͕͇̙͙͓͍͓͖̫̲͓̗͔̹̪̬̤̈́̈́͌̑̈́͂̌̓̅̈̔̓̀̓͌͋́̄̀͂̃̂̚ͅÿ̴̨̭͆́̊̈́̂̋͋̉̒̇̓̍̊̎̋͂̏̿͋̕͝͠͠ ̷̮͕̩͉̜͚͕̤́͛̓̈́́́̊̋͋̚̚̕͝͠Ị̷̡̨̛̰̙̗̹̖͖̫͖͍̯̰̣͙̍͌͒̐̅̍̆̓͂̽̇̊̊̊̉̓̏̇̚͠ͅm̸̧̬͔̣̭̈́̏̃̈͗̈͛̈́̓̀͘p̴̛̾̄̋̀̊̇̉͘͜͝ǫ̴̧̼͔̭̬͍͎̬̝̐̈́̎̅̓̌̎͂̓̅͊̃́͑̃̓̅̔͆̽́͂̀̐̚͘͝͝͝r̸̨̭͖̺̫̲͎̠͈̮̪͍̜̬̒͆̌͜͝t̸̝͎̥̹͈̝̹̓́ą̴̡̹͇̮̩͓̲̠̣̭̣̟͒͆̄̕͝n̸̮̩̘͙̆͊͝t̴̢̺̳͖͍̘͎̞̲̠̪͈̪̗̙̠͇͚͎͒̈̑͒̅̔͊̾͛͑̃̿͛̽̋͋̌͑̈́̀̓͠ ̸̡̮̗̯̗̫͙̫̗̱̙̬̰͍̂̓͒̓̒̓̎͂̂͜͠ͅa̴̡̛̗̩͎͚̹͉̰̺̝͙̼̍̋͌̆͂͗̊́͋͒̈̑͊̔̍͆͑̚͠ͅf̸̡̨̧̛͉͓͚͈̲̟̲͖̦̜̤͙͎̓͊̃̇̐̄̊̊͂͋̈́̍̄̽̇͑͆͂̓̈́͘̚͠t̶̲̺̯͈̹̤̥͓̣̠̠̣͙̤̘͔̠͌͂̆̓̐̄͌̊͂̈̐̒͋͗͌̾͆͋̂́̔̈͂̕͘͜͠e̴̛̞̯̜̳̝̹͍͕̼̞̬̪͕̰̳̰̝̥̭̫̣̗̘̼̖͍̖̋̓̓̑̍̔̀̿͝r̵̢̯̘̱̟͚̭̻̘̜̗͎̱̹̃͋͋̔̈̀̿̈̂͂̈́̀̉̀̌̊͋̕͘͝ ̷̡̢̛̟̺̗̤͖̺̦͚̱̤̘͈̞̱̻̜̘̳̙̦̥͍͙̞̙̺͔́̅̍̄̂̒͆̌̾̀̀̇͂̂̓͑̊̍͒͘͘͝T̷̡̢̛̯̯̗̬̦̖̮͔̭̼͐̋̏̃̀̈́͊̂̅͆̓̈͂̾̅̿̂́̂͘͘̚͝ḥ̶̨̡̤̯̻̹̦͕̦̲̹̻̦͕̩͖̯͕̳͉̣̩͚̗̬̊̈͂̈́͊̓̀̏́͆̓̾̂́͌̓́͂̇̌̓̈́̔̚̚͝ͅè̶͖̠̼͙͓͇̻̦͕̪͓̜̖̭͖̪̗̮̱̏̋̓̔̾͛͘̚͜ ̸̧̧͔̖̘̬̮̹̝̖̗̹̼̲͊̀̄́͆̋͑̌͌͠F̷͔̝̳̰̳̑̒̽͊̇̇́͒̅͊͂̍͊̆̀̊̓͠͝͝ǎ̷̡̛̦̣͉̫͖̞̽͜ͅḉ̷͉̗͓̘͇͚͚̥͔͖̙͉̰̌̐͆̾̑͂́̅̈̽͒̇̊̽͛͋͒̈́̈́̂́̎̎̽̽̽̍͠t̶̳̎͑̔͂̌́̉̐̔̂̎͌͠.̵̨̢̥̫̖̹͈͚̳̜̫̙̮͚̯͇͔̻̯͍̼̞̩̯̙̙͈͔͊͒͘͜ ̵̨̠̲̦̠͇͚͉̱̠̺̣̙̬͖̯͙̲͈͆̄̐̿̏̆̑̄̋̏̋͑͑̎̉̈́͌͆͑̿̏͋͊̓̚͘͜͠ a̶n̵d̵ a̸n̶d̴ ̴f̵r̵o̶m̶ ̸w̸h̶a̸t̷ they're saying, the virus can't actually mutate through standard copper communications wires lol. Don't worry too much about it.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If someone can survive pneumonia they can survive this - if you and your friend are under 50 and not immunocompromised or on immumosuppresive drugs, you'll be fine or if you get it you'll fight it off like a regular flu

Make sure you and your mom are up to date on vaccinations for flu and pneumonia - won't help with coronovirus, but the last thing you'd want is to get another infection back-to-back. Not sure what state you're in, but vaccinations are usually free with whatever insurance you have under preventative care:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedules/index.html

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Burt Sexual posted:

I got a long email from my investment firm to not panic. Lol I’ve never gotten one before from them.

This happened in 08 as people began standing in lines outside banks like Northern Rock in the UK

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

i am harry posted:

This happened in 08 as people began standing in lines outside banks like Northern Rock in the UK

A NY Times reporters said years after the fact that he decided not to report on the lines of brokers standing outside banks in New York City because he didn't want to start a panic

These days you can use an app to move money around

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

we are all gonna die

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Tafferling posted:

Worst case scenario you'll get back your fridge.

Wtf

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Edgar posted:

Should I avoid going to the girlyfriend's roller derby and meet her parents who came back from taiwan recently?

Taiwan is doing well, nothing particular to worry about

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Company today sent out a notice about staying out of the office if you've traveled to certain countries, the list expanded considerably. My co-worker got forced to do work from home for 2 weeks. But they were still already here for a few days. Here and coughing a few feet away

Gonna get set up for remote work asap to be safe. I am the only person on one project that actually works in the office, they should be flexible

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
I'm getting convinced next week is gonna be pretty bad. I'm in Belgium and lots of people went on holidays all over europe and beyond this week.
Including family members.
My wife works in an environment in Brussels were literally everyone is from another country, and they fly back home constantly, sometimes weekly.
They're supposed to have a high level of discipline there, but people, despite orders not to, walked in from their holidays from korea , Italy, etc...
If people in such a secure environment can't stick to basic orders, I can't be too positive about the rest of society.
I guess this might help with peoples traveling addiction.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

coronavirus posted:

Its not preparing for the apocalypse. You get some extra tylenol and rice and TP to last you a few weeks if your grocery and pharmacy has disruptions from other people buying out the store, or shipping problems due to quarantines. You are not getting ready for Mad Max, just a few bad weeks (most likely nothing, but a few hundred bucks is cheap insurance).

And in the long run not even a few hundred dollars. Once or twice a year rotate things from your emergency stash to your normal cupboards, and replace with fresh stuff. That way you never end up with a bunch of expired food and medicine.

So in the long run you're just buying stuff you'd use anyway.

Rosalind posted:

There's been a lot of scary talk of coronavirus this week (some of it in this thread). I'm an epidemiologist so I wrote up a brief no-fearmongering guide to coronavirus for everyone. I will try to keep it updated as new information/news comes out. Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything I should add!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Qr3rDNIInT9QRmN2GKyo_EY2r3psBshsdL7J8po_i4/edit?usp=sharing

WTF?! This isn't goatse.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
is iran just sending sick people everywhere? shits getting ridiculous.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
People watch too much tv and movies. God drat.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

A Grand Egg posted:

If this really does kick off and you work with the elderly, you may want to start looking for a new job now.

Why? Do you think we're going to run out of extremely old people? Even if 20% of the elderly die, that's just gonna cut down on waiting lists. Even the really lovely nursing homes of last resort are unlikely to close down for lack of old people. The boomers are getting into retirement age, they'll soon fill any space left by the silents.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Speaking as someone who's in a situation really similar to your own (right down to a mom about that age who is a bigger concern for me than my-immune-suppressed-self), social isolation is the strongest weapon we have in our arsenals right now. Stay away from people as much as possible. Not catching it in the first place is the safest bet we have, here. If it does start getting bad where you live, like, to the point that numerous people clearly have it there, maybe go so far as to go shopping for essential supplies in a mask and gloves, and sterilize what you buy (ideally as much packaged and canned stuff as possible) before you handle it with bare hands.

We don't have the money to stockpile poo poo like some others, so all we can do is be careful, keep our heads on a swivel, stay away from other people, and take what precautions we can manage. Good luck. It's not going to be the end of the world, but it is going to be serious enough that we can't just do nothing at all. The best advice you can give your friend right now is basically that thought, that this is not the end of the world, it will not kill them, or everyone they love, and while it is serious, it's by no means serious enough that they should ever think to harm themselves in fear of it. And tell them to stop listening to anyone telling them otherwise, because as in most things, conspiracy theorists on the internet for this thing are doing way more harm than good (and I say that as someone who doesn't exactly buy the party line from China or the WHO at the moment).

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Dude chill out. It probably will infect a low % of America with the majority having less symptoms than a flu. Even according to the baked Chinese numbers people don't really die that much from this.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah, it's easy to get into an anxiety spiral from news reports - I noticed myself starting to panic a bit yesterday and reminded myself that for most people under 70, it's just gonna be a cold or flu. Apparently we've completely lost our means of dealing with risks and dangers as a society and hearing that healthy young adults are seriously considering suicide in this situation is quite shocking.

So my absolutely not qualified (but who is?) opionion and suggestion to panicking goon: The disease itself will probably be way less threatening than you think and you & your family and friends will most likely just get through it like through a cold or flu. I guess most people will notice this when this thing really spreads through the population and will relax a bit. The financial hurdles created by quarantines, temporary closed companies etc. might be more problematic, but opportunities and ways to deal with it will probably arise with them. Try to find people to pool resources, buy more dried beans, rice and lentils; visit the "cheap cooking" thread on GWS or pages like https://theprudenthomemaker.com/ to make more with less and take a few minutes each day to breath. Remember that fear and anxiety steal the energy from you that you need to make real changes and focus on poitive and simple goals for every day. Dunno if have any spiritual inclinations, but that helps, too. Stay safe anxiety goon!

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

EimiYoshikawa posted:

social isolation
I understand that this is especially prudent if you are immuno-suppressed or have immuno-suppressed and endangered relatives, but I would ask anxiety goon - who has not mentioned any such problems themself - if it's really helpful for them to complicate their life even more by organizing their whole life around running from a disease that might make them sniffle a bit. If they have serious problems making ends meet, shooting additional time and resources into self-quarantine might make their existing financial problems even worse. I'm not denying the use of your suggestion, EimiYoshikawa, but I'd like to add that everyone has to weigh their individual pain points for their scenario.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
hmm a bunch of people living in my village in HK are under quarantine is it time to go full gear yet

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

A smart goon put together this no BS info.

Rosalind posted:

There's been a lot of scary talk of coronavirus this week (some of it in this thread). I'm an epidemiologist so I wrote up a brief no-fearmongering guide to coronavirus for everyone. I will try to keep it updated as new information/news comes out. Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything I should add!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-Qr3rDNIInT9QRmN2GKyo_EY2r3psBshsdL7J8po_i4/edit?usp=sharing

Stocking up on a few weeks of non-perishable food and medicine is nice, it's nice even when there isn't a pandemic or specific threat, but it it doesn't work for you don't sweat it. It's pretty unlikely that you will have any service disruptions. Mostly it just gives people something to do so they can feel like they are taking control. More than washing their hands, which is the one thing we know actually helps.

Wash your hands.
Don't touch your face.
Wash your hands.
Don't rub your eyes.
Don't rub your nose.
Before you eat, wash your hands.
Gotta poop? Wash your hands before and after.
Irresistible urge to pick your nose? You do you, but wash your hands before and after.
Go to visit your mom or other elderly folk? As soon as you get in the door, wash your hands before you give mom a hug or whatever.

Seriously, all you need to be relatively safe is soap. Soap kills virus. The cheapest nastiest dollar store soap works fine. Don't get crazy and scrub the skin off your hands. Just wash 'em every couple hours, or before and after a high risk activity.

tl:dr; Don't panic. Wash your hands.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Swiss have banned public gatherings of more than 1000 people until at least the ides of March. (15th but how often do you get a chance to use ides)

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I like that the reassuring response is, "chill out, not EVERYONE you love will die. Just, like, some of them."

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Feb 28, 2020

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Kill All Cops posted:

hmm a bunch of people living in my village in HK are under quarantine is it time to go full gear yet

It's time to crack open each other's skulls and feast on the goo inside.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Sneak Lemming posted:

Time to catch up on some videogames.

Careful now

https://twitter.com/GameSpot/status/1233264344340860928

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Most people, nearly all people who catch it in fact, are not going to die.

Even the very old are, for the most part, not going to die.

Even the very old with medical conditions are, for the most part, not going to die.

And that's just with the numbers we have right now. Epidemiologists usually recommend not relying on case fatality rates estimated early during a pandemic because people who only experience mild symptoms are chronically under-reported. Think about it; if you had mild cold symptoms and knew that the hospital was packed with coronavirus patients, would you opt to go get diagnosed?

Necrothatcher posted:

I like that the reassuring response is, "chill out, not EVERYONE you love will die. Just, like, some of them."

Nah your reading comprehension is just bad. Most people won't personally know anyone who dies from this illness, even if they have very old grandparents who are still around.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
In sum remember the immortal words of Our President: “there’s a very good chance you’re not going to die”

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm sure this virus being pretty benign in 80% of cases is going to be really soothing to a person with anxiety. That means only 1/5 of people with the virus need to go the hospital with respiratory problems, after all!

If the virus stays with us, it could be terrible for the elderly population.

You should just relax. What's going to happen is going to happen, nothing you can do about it but take sensible precautions.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Most people, nearly all people who catch it in fact, are not going to die.

Even the very old are, for the most part, not going to die.

Even the very old with medical conditions are, for the most part, not going to die.

And that's just with the numbers we have right now. Epidemiologists usually recommend not relying on case fatality rates estimated early during a pandemic because people who only experience mild symptoms are chronically under-reported. Think about it; if you had mild cold symptoms and knew that the hospital was packed with coronavirus patients, would you opt to go get diagnosed?

Nah your reading comprehension is just bad. Most people won't personally know anyone who dies from this illness, even if they have very old grandparents who are still around.

This guy is definitely going to die of corinavirus I'm sad to report

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

It was a joke dude.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

More relevant is starting to plan for potential disruption to your routines due to public precautions. Validate that your work from home setup is still functional if it's been a while, start considering childcare options if schools were to close for an extended period, figure out if you have alternatives to public transportation if you use it, and if you're in a decision making capacity at an organization of any size start creating contingency plans for the impact of people needing to stay home sick or suppliers (especially east Asian ones) being temporarily available.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Statistically, this means the rest of us have a higher chance of surviving. Thanks for your service!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
I'm working close to the IT service desk of our company, and a guy just shimed in, requesting a screen to work from home (what?) because he doesn't feel well since he came back from Milan :stonklol:

Nice knowing you, guys

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I'm working close to the IT service desk of our company, and a guy just shimed in, requesting a screen to work from home (what?) because he doesn't feel well since he came back from Milan :stonklol:

Nice knowing you, guys

Is just the flu, bro

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Rush Limbaugh said so, that means it must be true!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Tei posted:

Is just the flu, bro

Pretty sure it was just a joke