Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah after the chateau blew up and the straw hat and fire tank pirates escaped, they gave Gangster Gastino his heart back and he just flew away like Poochie, and hasn't been seen since. It honestly felt like a really anti-climactic resolution to that dangling plot thread and I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the next cover stories (please for the love of god wrap up the Bege cover story, it has easily been one of the longest and most boring in all of one piece)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Apparently he dipped at the end of Whole Cake when Bege gave him his heart back.

I completely forgot about this and just assumed that he was still with the non-Wano part of the crew.

the whole crew is at wano, aren't they? unless you mean leaving him with the minks on zou

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
What even happened in that cover story?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's a good question because tbh I haven't been paying attention

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Manatee Cannon posted:

the whole crew is at wano, aren't they? unless you mean leaving him with the minks on zou

The entire crew is in Wano, yeah. They split up in dressrosa and didn't entirely meet back up again until Wano!

Re: cover story - Chiffon wants to find Lola, who was spotted in dressrosa. Bege and the gang roll up there to find its swarmed by the "Germ" pirates, who are being pursued by marines. The germ pirates infect people with the kiss kiss germ to make them start smooching people at random I guess. Chiffon got caught by the marines, and now (since bege and the others are too busy being attacked by kisses) it's up to Gotti to save her.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 27, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sounds like this calls for a hard edged guy with a very bitter brand of canned peanuts.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One Piece does seem like Oda's specifically studied Dragon Ball and both emulated its successes and learned from its failures, especially when it comes to power scaling and escalation. I think a key thing is that dirty fighting and orthogonal tactics never really stop being relevant, with both protagonists and antagonists making use of psychology, poison, and exploiting weaknesses to win fights as much as raw strength. The whole assassination attempt on Big Mom is one big case of this, involving use of trickery, psychology, poison and flaw exploitation all at the same time.

(Actually I'm surprised given the protagonist's signature technique, Naruto never had the title character create a zillion shadow clones as a distraction and had someone pretend to be a shadow clone to slip through unnoticed while everyone's focused on the real Naruto)

The Katakuri fight is very DBZ in Luffy developing a technique and new powerup on the fly because it's that or die, but also interesting in how it characterises Katakuri as well as having a lot in common with Luffy- having an unusual Logia fruit (which is mistaken for and has some traits like a Zoan) and using it to copy one of Luffy's techniques in his own style, basically turning the shonen hero's usual thing back from them and showing that Luffy's not the only one who can learn as he fights. And you also see characters adapt other people's techniques into their own style, like Sanji figuring out the Sky Walk.

There's also a theme of rather than having training arcs, even during the timeskip, characters instead develop new techniques, abilities and equipment in flashback and pull them out when they're needed, including making their first use of a technique that they know the theory of but hadn't yet been able to use in practice.

Sorry to be that guy but Katakuri is a Paramecia. Oda fixed it in the volume so he’s a special Paramecia type, whatever that means

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Asuron posted:

Sorry to be that guy but Katakuri is a Paramecia. Oda fixed it in the volume so he’s a special Paramecia type, whatever that means

That's what I meant, but words- Luffy also has a Paramecia fruit that's considered to be very unusual (among Law and Kidd's, his power is considered the weirdest) and has some elements of a Logia or a Zoan in that it has permanent effects on his body and relies on his physical strength.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Asuron posted:

I think Oda messed up with that and there will be some story reason that Logias can only be natural things, so he had to retcon it to Paramecia.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They handle the retcon in a fun way where Katakuri actively pretends like he has a Logia power to fake people out and Luffy only figures it out mid-fight.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Bad news everyone.

Oda got sick-nothing too serious-but apparently there will be no chapter this week as a result. That is all.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I can't believe the Corona virus killed Oda.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
wires got crossed in the ol memory. i remembered him clutching his wound under water but that was way back during arlong...(i couldnt remember another time it happened)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I’m pretty sure he didn’t get hurt but he was coming down with a bad case of drowning so he fell unconscious immediately after beating the main arc villain offscreen.

God Zoro’s cool

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

This would absolutely be the worst timeline if that came to pass.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It would also be ironic given the Jump mangaka overwork and all the cigarettes if that's what did him in.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
isnt coronavirus a respiratory virus?? the chinese finally figured how they can punish japan by targeting oda's one weakness... his blackened lungs

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

PringleCreamEgg posted:

dont joke about this kind of thing....

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
I am genuinely terrified of Oda dying before he finishes One Piece. It is without doubt one of the greatest works ever made and seeing it unfinished or completed by his apprentices, no matter how good their intentions, would be a travesty. I don't even care how weeby this makes me sound.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
its worse because japan is at the point events and school are being cancelled because of the number of corona virus cases.
we dont need anyone wishing death that is a very real possibility.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I would do the immortality surgery for oda and here you guys are speaking the unspeakable

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Snazzy Frocks posted:

isnt coronavirus a respiratory virus?? the chinese finally figured how they can punish japan by targeting oda's one weakness... his blackened lungs

It's been spreading most effectively in countries with high rates of smokers

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If Oda has the coronavirus odds are he's going to be fine he's not 60+ years old which is where the age bracket almost all the deaths are focused on.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Alright can we please not have a corona virus discussion in the One Piece Manga Thread: Toki Toki Panic?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
its causing me a toki toki panic thinking about odas health ok?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i cannot wait another week for a chapter. i need to see orochi defeated ASAP.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Speaking of Oda’s health how many breaks has One Piece had over the last year or so? It feels like they happen a worrying amount.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It usually releases 3 weeks of every 4 so just regular breaks. Seems like a lot of jump series do that now

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
the fan base normally: WHERE THE gently caress IS THE CHAPTER??

the fan base when oda is sick: oh god oda please rest as long as you need to not die

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

RatHat posted:

Speaking of Oda’s health how many breaks has One Piece had over the last year or so? It feels like they happen a worrying amount.

Ever since the big health scare Oda had while writing the Dressrosa Arc, it has been a fairly consistent 3 regular releases followed by a week break. I'm theorizing that this is something Shueisha up on top demanded of Oda because they don't want him (and all the money One Piece makes) to die off, so they are compromising to ensure Oda's longevity. The break schedule only appears more chaotic than that because it doesn't factor in weeks where the whole magazine goes on break, such as on holidays or double issues, so there's a pretty high chance of another break after this next chapter comes out.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think the breaks come so consistently that people can make a chart showing when they'll happen alongside Jump's usual breaks.

And yet, somehow, every single year I forget all of this and fall into despair

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Julias posted:

Ever since the big health scare Oda had while writing the Dressrosa Arc, it has been a fairly consistent 3 regular releases followed by a week break. I'm theorizing that this is something Shueisha up on top demanded of Oda because they don't want him (and all the money One Piece makes) to die off, so they are compromising to ensure Oda's longevity. The break schedule only appears more chaotic than that because it doesn't factor in weeks where the whole magazine goes on break, such as on holidays or double issues, so there's a pretty high chance of another break after this next chapter comes out.

Oh that's really good then. Maybe less manga artists will literally work themselves to death now.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

rannum posted:

I think the breaks come so consistently that people can make a chart showing when they'll happen alongside Jump's usual breaks.

And yet, somehow, every single year I forget all of this and fall into despair

start of the year until like june always has a lot of breaks, the golden week break is the most brutal one

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just got volume 95 in the mail and it covers from Law/Hawkins in jail up to Roger hearing about Oden in the flashback. drat, I forgot about the march of the Awakened beasts towards Kaidou's hideout - that poo poo is gonna be nuts to see in a big fight!

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

RatHat posted:

Oh that's really good then. Maybe less manga artists will literally work themselves to death now.

haha no chance.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea oda gets breaks because he's oda. doubt most people get that kind of opportunity and I even doubt that some would take it

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

this scene seems kinda weird now that we know to kinemon he was hanging out with these dudes like four months prior to this

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

actually this entire part with the samurai interacting with the minks is bizarre in light of the backstory

it just casually goes unmentioned that they were flung twenty years into the future the entire time

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea oda gets breaks because he's oda. doubt most people get that kind of opportunity and I even doubt that some would take it

As far as I recall Oda also wouldn’t take it if not for the health issues and his doctor ordering him to take the breaks in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

tbp posted:

actually this entire part with the samurai interacting with the minks is bizarre in light of the backstory

it just casually goes unmentioned that they were flung twenty years into the future the entire time

Considering the amount of effort they put into Raizo, I figure they were just super disciplined about letting Kinemon decide when to say it.