Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
The :brainworms: of some people

quote:

In 2015, the boss of a card payments company in Seattle introduced a $70,000 minimum salary for all of his 120 staff - and personally took a pay cut of $1m. Five years later he's still on the minimum salary, and says the gamble has paid off.

There was a little bit of concern amongst pontificators out there that people would squander any gains that they would have.

Two senior Gravity employees also resigned in protest. They weren't happy that the salaries of junior staff had jumped overnight, and argued that it would make them lazy, and the company uncompetitive.
x

People are getting more at no cost to me :qq:

And a bit of 'people are poor because they are bad with money, if you give them more they'll just waste it :smug:'

133: Sextus Julius Severus, governor of Britain, is sends a BrimstoneTM missile to Judea to quell a revolt.

sinky fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Feb 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
At which point the money evaporates (this is economics).

OwlFancier posted:

Actually no I'm "the #1 trick to stop aging (don't do this)" because it makes me think the trick is destroying the concept of time (don't do it)

(don't do this)

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Jedit posted:

A message to all, for the benefit of our resident fudge packer:
Haha, it's funny because you had a legitimate excuse to use a homophobic slur, I bet that gave you a giddy thrill you tiresome oval office.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sinky posted:

The :brainworms: of some people

People are getting more at no cost to me :qq:

And a bit of 'people are poor because they are bad with money, if you give them more they'll just waste it :smug:'

On the other side of the coin, it's easy to see where Dan Price is wrong in his thinking. He's upset that he hasn't changed the world, but in reality his company continues to succeed because the world hasn't changed. His employees have jobs at a salary that they would be unable to get anywhere else, and that is itself a motivation to work hard because you don't want to lose that great job. Gravity isn't succeeding because Price treats his employees well, it's succeeding because he treats them better than other companies.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Paying above market rates:

Back in the year dot - I managed to graduate when there were zero graduate jobs. A couple of years later the graduate market (but only for fresh young graduates, not us hardened and bitter cynics who were beyond indoctrination had been working at anything just to pay the rent for the last two years) picked up. The going rate for a fresh graduate was around £6k at the time. Ford used to pay £9k. Their reasoning was to pay way over the odds to keep their expensively-trained graduate recruits from looking elsewhere.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Hey, can we not use the term "fudge packer", even when referring to a literal fudge producer and shipper?

It's not a term that's gonna be reclaimed on the short to medium term and makes it appear like it's not a term with issues.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Mebh posted:

Still not sure why a spate of recruiters added that to their job offer template though to my currently unemployed partner.

Most recruiters are monkeys flailing randomly at a keyboard and hoping a banana pops out. I made the mistake of including the phrase 'writing technical documentation' on my CV about 8 years ago and I still get two emails a week for technical writer jobs.

Anyway, how about that FTSE? I'm hoping for a full thousand points down to round the week off.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

mehall posted:

Hey, can we not use the term "fudge packer", even when referring to a literal fudge producer and shipper?

It's not a term that's gonna be reclaimed on the short to medium term and makes it appear like it's not a term with issues.

It is?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Paying above market rates:

Back in the year dot - I managed to graduate when there were zero graduate jobs. A couple of years later the graduate market (but only for fresh young graduates, not us hardened and bitter cynics who were beyond indoctrination had been working at anything just to pay the rent for the last two years) picked up. The going rate for a fresh graduate was around £6k at the time. Ford used to pay £9k. Their reasoning was to pay way over the odds to keep their expensively-trained graduate recruits from looking elsewhere.

Ford pioneered this strategy (consistently paying above market salaries for entry level / unskilled jobs) back in the 1910s or 1920s I think. The reason everyone doesn’t do it, apart from the people who are just twats, is that it’s expensive enough that usually only the most profitable company in any field can afford to.

If everyone else matches then you get a race to the top until everyone other than the most profitable company goes bust or someone decides it’s worth the risk of making a cartel. You can see this in UK law firms in the 1990s, when the cartel broke and junior lawyer salaries started spiralling upwards, then mysteriously stabilised again with all major firms paying approximately the same.

I am surprised that more companies haven’t followed Gravity though. So long as most companies aren’t doing it, it’s a winning strategy.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Who would like some delicious tory whining this lunchtime, from the telegraph, a paper whose dumb old bastard staff don't realise you can bypass their subscription block by stopping the page before it fully loads? Careful this one is spicy! World's tiniest violin for this hard done by lady.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politics/tired-friends-bullying-right-wing/

quote:

I'm tired of my friends bullying me for being Right-wing

The Yorkshire Tea 'brew-ha-ha' is a reminder of the perils of being a Brexit-voting professional who mixes with an arty, liberal crowd

By
Kate Mulvey

A few months ago, I was chatting with friends at the bar of my favourite club in Soho, when an old friend, came up to me wagging his finger. “Look,” he said, smirking, “it’s Nazi Kate.”

I managed to lob back a few cutting comments and waited for my two acquaintances (a writer and an artist) to join me in a robust defence. Instead, they shuffled uneasily from foot to foot, looked down at the floor and sloped off. They later came up to me and individually apologised, both indicating that they didn’t agree with what was said, and felt awkward about it, but then admitting sheepishly they hadn’t the nerve to speak out, either.

This depressing scenario has become all too familiar in my life nowadays. I am that unusual creature: a Right-wing, Brexit-voting professional who mixes with an arty and liberal crowd. As such, I have become a target of bullying by the so called open-minded progressive brigade, who also happen to be many of my friends.

So it was with sad recognition that I read a report in Arts Professionals magazine that said 80 per cent of people working in the arts are too scared to voice “controversial” opinions for fear of being professionally ostracised. According to the Freedom of Expression survey, verboten topics of conversation in liberal company now include Brexit, transgender and viewpoints considered Right-wing.

It is shocking, but it is something I know to be true from bitter experience. Ever since Brexit opened up a cleavage in society – which has resulted in the metro liberal elite taking the moral high ground – I’ve been called out as a racist, bigot, and even been asked by one date if “I walk on my hands”.

It is difficult to explain how painful it is when the people you call your friends shun you when you walk in the room.

When one arts producer acquaintance called me a Right-wing sympathiser and racist simply because I put a cross beside leave the EU and champion Boris, I challenged him to having a grown-up conversation about it. You know, an old-fashioned debate. Yet he refused to enter into any open discussion whatsoever.

Of course, if this had happened, we might have ended up in stalemate, but at least there would have been some kind of respectful awareness on either side to understand why different positions are taken.

Society is based on structures that are agreed upon by the majority of people, such as marriage, the sense of nationhood, biological gender differences. I really believe that these structures are now being torn down in the alleged name of freedom. “Gender is a construct”, “nationhood is inherently racist”… these new ideas are not based on a rational discourse, but a trend of feeling and groupthink among a minority with a huge influence.

Out of this lack of scrutiny and fear is emerging a new totalitarianism. Those of us who don’t agree with the ‘woke’ orthodoxy are quickly understanding that it has become too dangerous to stay what we really think. If we ever do go there, it is likely to be on a trusted and closed WhatsApp group.

To be honest, I hate myself for caving in so easily. I feel humiliated and patronised. The moniker “opinionated Kate”, that one ex gave me, affectionately, would be one I would relish at this moment.

I was brought up in the free-speech Seventies. Back then, being interesting, having something to say, meant you were welcomed in artistic circles. I remember one late-night debate when I drunkenly wrote my opinion on someone’s kitchen wall – we are still great friends.

Fast-forward to today, and I often find myself sharing a pertinent article on Facebook, only to take it down minutes later as I get the familiar knot of fear in my stomach. It is simply not worth the stress. But why should I self-censor out of fear of reprisal from who, exactly? It makes me angry that these people feel they have a greater claim to higher intellectual or moral knowledge.

This kind of bullying behaviour brings out our most fundamental fears of rejection. “You are not one of the gang,” the voice in my head says, as once again I find myself biting my tongue at another Leftie-leaning dinner party
. If I do ever recognise a fellow traveller, it feels like we’re in a secret resistance group quietly giving each other the thumbs-up and trying not to trip the minefields that litter the new social landscape.

A magazine editor friend, who was robustly for Brexit, told me how a recent catch-up with an old university friend descended into a slanging match. Her Remain companion took to thumping the table and accusing her of ruining the country. She was nearly in tears.

Where has the respect and tolerance for other people’s opinions gone?

Well, if this week’s Twitter storm over a humble cup of tea is anything to go by, it doesn’t feel like we are going to get it back any time soon. When the Chancellor, Rishi Sunak posted a picture of himself making tea on social media, cancel culture went full throttle, with the twitterati calling for a Yorkshire Tea boycott as it had been drunk by a Tory. It perfectly surmised the toxic level of offence and outrage currently being targeted at anyone on the Right.

This kind of bullying has become a common occurrence at our universities. The erstwhile bastions of free speech and critical thinking, today’s campuses of “safe spaces, safe minds” have closed down any discussion by students and lecturers that they see as racist, homophobic or as having 'traditional' values.

This was illustrated in a report out this week from the Policy Exchange think tank. Critically, it says “the nation is losing faith in our universities due to their sniggering attitude to patriotism and traditional values”.

It is about time something is done, a friend who teaches history of art at one of London’s universities opined the other day. As someone who was open about her pro-Brexit views, when she shared these on social media she witnessed a turning-away from not only her fellow tutors but students as well. This is something she now bitterly regrets.

But hang on a minute. Has it really got to the point where well-educated professionals and journalists like myself now feel they wished they had never opened their mouths? Not even to our closest friends and colleagues? In the name of freedom of speech and common decency, I say we start fighting back before it’s too late.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Could you have a word with Edinburgh South seen as they’re right next door?

I'd rather not risk catching the brainworms.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I enjoy the notion that writing in the telegraph about your social anxiety when hanging around in a soho club does not make you part of the metro liberal elite.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

ThomasPaine posted:

Who would like some delicious tory whining this lunchtime, from the telegraph, a paper whose dumb old bastard staff don't realise you can bypass their subscription block by stopping the page before it fully loads? Careful this one is spicy! World's tiniest violin for this hard done by lady.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/politics/tired-friends-bullying-right-wing/

No it is the liberals who are wrong.

(Writes a person who doesn't understand what liberals are, or that she is one)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"loving liberals" I exclaim while perusing arts professional magazine at my dinner party.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

mehall posted:

As the individual in question, I’d kind of like us to do this. Or not do this. You know what I mean.

Both on grounds of non-offence to others and also because frankly I’ve heard variants on this joke several hundred times in the past few weeks. While I’m pretty certain that nobody in this thread means it maliciously, words can hurt third parties unintentionally. Also frankly, call me crazy but I’d prefer my business not to be associated with homophobia in people’s minds.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Camrath posted:

As the individual in question, I’d kind of like us to do this. Or not do this. You know what I mean.

Both on grounds of non-offence to others and also because frankly I’ve heard variants on this joke several hundred times in the past few weeks. While I’m pretty certain that nobody in this thread means it maliciously, words can hurt third parties unintentionally. Also frankly, call me crazy but I’d prefer my business not to be associated with homophobia in people’s minds.

As the person who said it: fair enough.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I propose 'soft sugar sorcerer' as a replacement.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

If you can't make a case for why you voted to Leave the island migrant hellcamp LGBT free zone neoliberal capitalist white people club without you looking like the racist homophobe, the problem might be that you're a racist homophobe.

Also lmao at confusion about gender being a social construct in the same essay as "I was brought up in the free-speech Seventies". It was largely sexologists in the 70s to thank for everyone from the NHS to the WHO using that definition of gender. It's not something new. Anyone who doesn't get that should have to provide an alternative definition that passes basic epistemology.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/JimothyBaker/status/1233338727654723584?s=19

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I'm going out on a limb to suggest that someone other than Mike Gapes posted that tweet, good as it is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Mike Gapes for your sins.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Camrath posted:

It should instead be associated with deliciousness, which it is, because it is.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
this week in Reasonable Centrist Media Balance

https://twitter.com/james1974_1/status/1233343624701730818

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
'Graham Linehan is a high-profile supporter of, and respected voice within, women’s and lesbian and gay rights groups.'

Yes, that's the problem.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

thespaceinvader posted:

I’m sticking with ‘Mad Fudge Alchemist’ because then I can stick ‘MFA’ after my name and not be lying.

mrpwase posted:

It should instead be associated with deliciousness, which it is, because it is.

<3 :)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
"It is about time something is done, a friend who teaches history of art at one of London’s universities opined the other day."

Holy weasel words batman. The Liberal elite even managed to make this poor victim distance herself from her own call to arms in her own pay-walled article

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I have to assume that given anyone with a working brain installs adblock software that ads now only target like, old people, children, and people with some sort of pathological addiction to clicking on ads.
Which is why most ads are now just thinly disguised listicles on news websites or social media posts. Sometimes it gets a bit wearying trying to figure out what's actual content vs paid sponsorship, and that's why I like to relax in the evenings with Jameson® Irish Whiskey. It's triple distilled for a smooth taste that other whiskey brands can't match!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

If you can't make a case for why you voted to Leave the island migrant hellcamp LGBT free zone neoliberal capitalist white people club without you looking like the racist homophobe, the problem might be that you're a racist homophobe.

Also lmao at confusion about gender being a social construct in the same essay as "I was brought up in the free-speech Seventies". It was largely sexologists in the 70s to thank for everyone from the NHS to the WHO using that definition of gender. It's not something new. Anyone who doesn't get that should have to provide an alternative definition that passes basic epistemology.

I very much liked the 'gender as a social construct etc is a dumb feelings thing with no actual argument' when literally all her examples are things that have been studied and written about at length in extremely boring technical textbooks with lots of very dry dispassionate analysis.

OwlFancier posted:

"loving liberals" I exclaim while perusing arts professional magazine at my dinner party.

Tbf we have witnessed a creeping influence of Americanisms in recent years so she's probably using the term in that (dumb) sense as interchangeable with 'left wing'. I'd have thought an obviously educated arty type might be a bit more careful with her terminology here but I guess you can't buy brains and you can't stop poshos failing upwards.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Feb 28, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

FudgeMaking Alchemist: Brotherhood

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

TACD posted:

Which is why most ads are now just thinly disguised listicles on news websites or social media posts. Sometimes it gets a bit wearying trying to figure out what's actual content vs paid sponsorship, and that's why I like to relax in the evenings with Jameson® Irish Whiskey. It's triple distilled for a smooth taste that other whiskey brands can't match!

It must be very challenging for people advertorialising Photoshop, knowing you need to refer to it in the proper Adobe Photoshop® format as per policy every time while still trying to seem natural about it

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

FudgeMaking Alchemist: Brotherhood

Artisanal Confectionery Advice Bureau.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Big Fudge Goon 9000

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Don't worry about the weather - the Grauniad is here with a take so hot the whole country will be dried out in minutesd:

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1233067979841077250

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TACD posted:

Same, op.

Although with the complicated relationship between John Jameson, his wife's family the Haigs, and their cousins the Steins who financed the distillery, I still think that it should be considered a Scotch. Which would make the correct Irish whiskey Bushmills Michael Molloy's Tullamore poitín made in a wooden outhouse.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Well now I know what my next custom D&D class will be.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The Deleter posted:

Well now I know what my next custom D&D class will be.

Sucromancer.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Jedit posted:

Sucromancer.

Build little golems of taffy to help your allies out, bake cookies for buffs, glue your opponents to the floor with icing. Just be careful with the gingerbread!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't worry about the weather - the Grauniad is here with a take so hot the whole country will be dried out in minutesd:

https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1233067979841077250

drat I just guffawed loudly in the office. Lucky I'm the only one in today!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Why is it that liberals (actual Liberals not just the generic word for left wing) always love progressive movements as long as they are happening somewhere else?

Is it because they would rather not have to think about it too much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
10 degrees to the left of center in good times, 10 degrees to the right of center if it affects them personally.