Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I think I came up with a decent beginning goal, with numbers behind it. This is more as a thought exercise as I'm working through the book.

What would it take to live on only the monthly returns from money that I've invested in some particular fund? Let's pick some arbitrary amount like $2500 per month in order to live at a bare minimum or something. Therefore, the question is, what X amount of money would I have to invest in a stock with Y annual return in order to get at least that much to live on per month?

Let's take VFIAX as an example. If I'm reading its profile right, in the past 10 years, it's had an annual return of somewhere between 20% and 13%, 16.5% on average. In order to make all your expenses for the year, you'd need to get at least $2500 * 12 = $28,800 from an annual return of 16.5%. The equation then looks like this:

code:
x * .165 = 2400 * 12
->
x = 28800 / .165
x = 174545.454545
So in theory, if you can invest $174,546 in VFIAX, which has had an average annual return in the past 10 years of 16.5%, it's possible to get enough money for each month just by withdrawing what it makes over time on average. This is obviously a heavily optimistic situation, but it's possible nonetheless.

Does that make sense? Maybe that'd be a decent goal, saving up to invest enough that you can live off the returns.

shut up pollyanna

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Does that make sense?

No. Go finish reading the book.

Pollyanna posted:

Maybe that'd be a decent goal, saving up to invest enough that you can live off the returns.

Ya think? That's the whole point.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:smith: ok

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For everyone else reading along, Pollyanna's idea runs into sequence-of-returns and volatility problems, and also relies on the longest boom period without a bust in modern history as the representative example of expected returns.

Pollyanna, you're starting to think about things in a useful way but you're still missing a bunch of important stuff.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Last year I consolidated my financial accounts, rolled my old 401k and 403b into an IRA (then converted into a Roth IRA). Felt pretty good about having everything under control.

Turns out I missed some :doh:. A 457b and another 401k. From what I've been able to find on the IRS website (1 2), I should be able to rollover the 457b into a trad IRA just like a 401k - is that correct? Plan is to roll both the accounts into an IRA, then move the funds into the Roth IRA like before.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Hey look, at least you got there. There's a lot of people who don't even get to step 1.

But yes, go to https://www.firecalc.com/ and use actual numbers. And don't use some ridiculous expected returns number like 20%. Try 5% if you want to be on the safe side of realistic.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Pollyanna posted:

The market will be back up by the time it’s worth it to withdraw from your funds, don’t worry.

Thank you, Pollyanna. You truly got that one right.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
My 'timing the market' stories: just before grad school I had some 'fun money' that I invested in alt coins (mostly etherium). Bought at a dip, and as soon as I went back to its more 'nirmal' price, I withdrew what I invested so I was playing with house money. Then if it would go up 10% or so in a week, I'd sell. If it dipped a bit, I'd buy back. Did that for a while and eventually had to sell since I was in grad school and had negative income. That was right before it like tripled in price in oct/Nov 2017. So I missed the big gain by selling 'high', but it was house money so no big deal.

While in grad school I also rolled over my old 401ks into my roth Ira, since my income was low and I had just stocked up a bunch of cash from my summer internship so I could cover the taxes. Between pulling out of the market and reinvesting the market tanked so that was good!

Timing the market is all luck (I say as somebody who just rolled 10k from my checking account into a brokerage).

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

You've got the concept right, at least, but your numbers are wildly, wildly overoptimistic. There was some discussion about safe sustained withdrawal rates a few days ago and there's what sounds like a very plausible argument that even a 4% withdrawal rate is unsafely high, and possibly even a 3% withdrawal rate is unsafely high (which is pretty depressing to be honest).

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Let's take VFIAX as an example. If I'm reading its profile right, in the past 10 years, it's had an annual return of somewhere between 20% and 13%, 16.5% on average.

In 1980, Japan was 45% of the global stock market and the US was 29%. People like Michael Creighton got rich handwringing about Japan's unstoppable business culture taking over America. Japan got the fetishistic "the future" feeling of neon anime and cyberpunk that continues to haunt American popular culture to this day (especially on a forum like this). Not long after, Japan's market spiked and crashed in value. In 1992 the Japanese Nikkei 225 index fell past a value that it did not return to until 2017 which is about where is it now. It was more or less flat for 25+ years. Today, Japan's stock market is about 8% of the global total and America's is about 55%. No one is worried that Japan will take over the US. Who can know what the future will hold.
:iiam:

The past 10 years of the S&P 500's growth have been unprecedented. We've never seen anything like it. Relying on those values as a typical average for your expected future returns is foolish.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

doingitwrong posted:

In 1980, Japan was 45% of the global stock market and the US was 29%. People like Michael Creighton got rich handwringing about Japan's unstoppable business culture taking over America. Japan got the fetishistic "the future" feeling of neon anime and cyberpunk that continues to haunt American popular culture to this day (especially on a forum like this). Not long after, Japan's market spiked and crashed in value. In 1992 the Japanese Nikkei 225 index fell past a value that it did not return to until 2017 which is about where is it now. It was more or less flat for 25+ years. Today, Japan's stock market is about 8% of the global total and America's is about 55%. No one is worried that Japan will take over the US. Who can know what the future will hold.
:iiam:

The past 10 years of the S&P 500's growth have been unprecedented. We've never seen anything like it. Relying on those values as a typical average for your expected future returns is foolish.

Nothing is always the same but Japan's economy since the early 90s is really something to behold.

On the other hand, Japan is still plodding along so it's not the end of the world.

On the other other hand, nothing is always the same so who knows what would happen if the US economy just stopped doing anything for 30 years.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Pollyanna posted:

I think I came up with a decent beginning goal, with numbers behind it. This is more as a thought exercise as I'm working through the book.

What would it take to live on only the monthly returns from money that I've invested in some particular fund? Let's pick some arbitrary amount like $2500 per month in order to live at a bare minimum or something. Therefore, the question is, what X amount of money would I have to invest in a stock with Y annual return in order to get at least that much to live on per month?

Let's take VFIAX as an example. If I'm reading its profile right, in the past 10 years, it's had an annual return of somewhere between 20% and 13%, 16.5% on average. In order to make all your expenses for the year, you'd need to get at least $2500 * 12 = $28,800 from an annual return of 16.5%. The equation then looks like this:

code:
x * .165 = 2400 * 12
->
x = 28800 / .165
x = 174545.454545
So in theory, if you can invest $174,546 in VFIAX, which has had an average annual return in the past 10 years of 16.5%, it's possible to get enough money for each month just by withdrawing what it makes over time on average. This is obviously a heavily optimistic situation, but it's possible nonetheless.

Does that make sense? Maybe that'd be a decent goal, saving up to invest enough that you can live off the returns.

shut up pollyanna

Instead of "oh let's guess $2500 per month" you can actually figure out a good number based on your actual historical and planned future expenses. Then yeah, multiply (the yearly number) by 25 to 33 depending on how optimistic you want to be. And that's basically it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

totalnewbie posted:

Hey look, at least you got there. There's a lot of people who don't even get to step 1.

But yes, go to https://www.firecalc.com/ and use actual numbers. And don't use some ridiculous expected returns number like 20%. Try 5% if you want to be on the safe side of realistic.

bro i love firecalc but why are you sending that to pollyanna, they are not ready for that poo poo man

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

$174,546 in VFIAX,

Just slap another zero on that bad boy and you might actually be right.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

H110Hawk posted:

Just slap another zero on that bad boy and you might actually be right.

100% theoretical, yo. Also I even admitted in the post that it was wildly optimistic, which makes FIRE sound a lot harder to achieve now.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

100% theoretical, yo. Also I even admitted in the post that it was wildly optimistic, which makes FIRE sound a lot harder to achieve now.

I know. I wasn't kidding though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Pollyanna posted:

And you haven’t even said hello yet to the retiree's best bud, inflation.

Even that $2500/mo would have to grow to $4100/mo in 20 years to keep up.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

And you haven’t even said hello yet to the retiree's best bud, inflation.

Even that $2500/mo would have to grow to $4100/mo in 20 years to keep up.

That's already taken into account with the withdrawal rate of 3-4 percent.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
But not in the 28800/.165 equation.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My favorite stock market thread posts are the ones where it’s painfully obvious the poster is actively trading away his/her retirement portfolio.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
number go down

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Sale

Edit: not to be confused with sell

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The phrase you’re thinking of is “on sale”.

loving :lol: at these markets, the more I understand this poo poo the less I care about them going down. Hell, I’ll even add more once I build up some more money, cause it’ll be cheaper than it was before.

Jows
May 8, 2002

KS posted:

Linking this again. Actual process at Vanguard, step by step: https://www.physicianonfire.com/backdoor/

As for rules: ensure you don't have any Trad IRAs.

You can run through the math on form 8606. It won't be pretty. See if your 401k allows in-service rollovers -- I was able to roll my trad IRA into my active 401k.

I'll check out the form. Thanks. My active 401k is a Roth (trad for company match and ESOP contributions though), so I don't know if that would work. Maybe if it is offered they could roll it into the trad part?

Ancillary Character posted:

Since your original contribution were tax-deductible, you owe income tax on the entire amount of the conversion. It's likely more than $29k since a part of that $130k will likely cross into another tax bracket. This relatively straightforward calculation of the tax owed also only applies if you pay the tax with money you have on hand. If you have to pay tax with money inside the IRA, then that amount is an early distribution and also is assessed a penalty.

Ugh.. I think I'll just end up with tax diversified retirement accounts. I'm not income limited on Roth contributions nor do I expect to be. If I ever get to that point I'll deal with it then.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Pollyanna posted:

loving :lol: at these markets, the more I understand this poo poo the less I care about them going down. Hell, I’ll even add more once I build up some more money, cause it’ll be cheaper than it was before.

You've come a long way in a short span of time :unsmith:

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

totalnewbie posted:

Nothing is always the same but Japan's economy since the early 90s is really something to behold.

On the other hand, Japan is still plodding along so it's not the end of the world.

On the other other hand, nothing is always the same so who knows what would happen if the US economy just stopped doing anything for 30 years.

Part of Japan's problem is that their immigration policy has long been a Trumpian dream. Their country is literally dying because of it. If we want a preview of what this country could become if we close off our borders, look at Japan.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

They only thing that bums me out about this is that my parents just retired and are absolute morons when it comes to their portfolios. They'll be fine because they have sweet pensions, and my mom long ago moved her 401k over to Vanguard, but I'm terrified of whatever the gently caress my dad is doing with his. I had to talk my mom out of moving her money to someone else because "your father's 401k has done so much better, I don't know what Vanguard is doing" jfc, he's gambling mom, that's why

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Uh, poo poo, I should send some texts then. Just to double check...

Kylaer posted:

You've come a long way in a short span of time :unsmith:

17% of the way through fpillars :dogcited:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
If I have the ability to, should I just drop the max $6k as a lump sum into my Roth IRA and then just focus on my traditional employer 401k with my regular direct deposits? I could do a % of my paycheck but I feel like I’d screw up and accidentally go over.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My kid's 529 account now has less in it than what we put in, so that's going just great... at least I have 12 more years to recover

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

seiferguy posted:

If I have the ability to, should I just drop the max $6k as a lump sum into my Roth IRA and then just focus on my traditional employer 401k with my regular direct deposits? I could do a % of my paycheck but I feel like I’d screw up and accidentally go over.

What happens if you accidentally go over? :ohdear:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i prefer hit it once and forget it, if you have the ability time in market beats DCA in general

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

seiferguy posted:

Assuming you've only been with the same employer all year, they usually automatically stop you from overcontributing.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i prefer hit it once and forget it, if you have the ability time in market beats DCA in general

That was my line of thinking. I can probably get it in before tax day no problem. I figure $6k of return now is going to be better than slowly getting up to $6k over time.

Pollyanna posted:

What happens if you accidentally go over? :ohdear:

Tax penalty, but if you catch it beforehand you can adjust prior to penalty. Until you’re making over $124k a year, you can do $6k max per year.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Astro7x posted:

My kid's 529 account now has less in it than what we put in, so that's going just great... at least I have 12 more years to recover

it's called Long Term Investing for a reason, just keep putting the same amount in every month

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Doccykins posted:

it's called Long Term Investing for a reason, just keep putting the same amount in every month

Month?
I dumped the 20K max in on January 1st.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Astro7x posted:

Month?
I dumped the 20K max in on January 1st.
I got warned against doing this because our 401k match is done quarterly so if I had put the max in all of their matching contributions would be denied.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Bhodi posted:

I got warned against doing this because our 401k match is done quarterly so if I had put the max in all of their matching contributions would be denied.

Companies with competent accounting departments that don't hate their employees have a true up at the end of the year which fixes this, but obviously not all companies have that.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Bhodi posted:

We have two Roths and a 529. No employer matching.

For the 529 in IL, I basically reduce my state income taxes by about $1,000 for putting in $20,000. I guess I'm still technically ahead on that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

silvergoose posted:

Companies with competent accounting departments that don't hate their employees have a true up at the end of the year which fixes this, but obviously not all companies have that.

Also, even for companies that do, you usually have to be an employee at the time of true-up to receive it. That creates a small but meaningful extra cost to changing jobs if you should decide it's time to leave.