Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZe_wLyMLRI&t=2810s

just in case anyone wanted to watch dril play WWF No Mercy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

hunnert car pileup posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZe_wLyMLRI&t=2810s

just in case anyone wanted to watch dril play WWF No Mercy
who the gently caress is scraeming "TAP OUT" at my ring. show yourself, coward. i will never tap out

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/zenoMCZlove/status/1232869041309532164

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
From the C2E2 AEW Panel today

quote:

Fan Question: Is there an AEW video game update? Cody: Asks if they want an AEW video game (HUGE POP). Says everything the fans have wanted they have done. Notes there is a specific engine fans want and it takes time. Teases Kenny will have a more detailed answer soon.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

There's going to be a product setting in TEW2020 specifically to run a Lucha Underground esque promotion.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Testekill posted:

There's going to be a product setting in TEW2020 specifically to run a Lucha Underground esque promotion.

As in pre-recorded heavily "cinematic" story focus?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It just basically sounds like a storyline/match split with an emphasis on lucha and hardcore matches and "edgey" stories and characters.

quote:

Grindhouse Lucha Libre - Although based around (often quite dark) storylines and characters, match quality is still important. Hardcore matches and fast-paced, exciting spectacles form the core of the in-ring output.

Products in TEW are easy to change anyway and only really matter for the preset AI. Which sucks but is being promised to be better this time. The Developer Journal has basically been out of the "new game aspects" stage for months now and into the "building up the world and preset database stuff".

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If AEW Puts out a THQ engine game, I don’t care that I have bilateral carpal tunnel I’m gonna play that fucker. Three minutes a day for the rest of my life if I have to

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'm still waiting for TEW to have a "the booker of this company has brainworms so despite a boatload of talent the company's product is really bad sometimes" feature.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

As in pre-recorded heavily "cinematic" story focus?
That'd be my question, TEW being a business management sim. Previous games didn't really make a distinction between taped and live shows, but they didn't really allow you to book a season's worth of matches over a few days, like they did irl. What was most interesting / frustrating about LU's model was how it couldn't easily respond to workers like Pentagon getting over. That's the sort of weirdness I want to see play out in a spreadsheet.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
EDIT: ignore this, thought it said AKI engine instead of THQ engine

Takuan
May 6, 2007

CVagts posted:

I'm still waiting for TEW to have a "the booker of this company has brainworms so despite a boatload of talent the company's product is really bad sometimes" feature.

I think this is my biggest overall problem with TEW. The AI is entirely too competent and logical to accurately represent the average promoter.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Basic Chunnel posted:

That'd be my question, TEW being a business management sim. Previous games didn't really make a distinction between taped and live shows, but they didn't really allow you to book a season's worth of matches over a few days, like they did irl. What was most interesting / frustrating about LU's model was how it couldn't easily respond to workers like Pentagon getting over. That's the sort of weirdness I want to see play out in a spreadsheet.

I think there's a loss of viewership from a taped show vs a live show but its not huge. But TEW20 IS gonna have the option for you to tape a bunch of shows all at once if you want to actually mirror the way a lot of indies work.

quote:

Previous entries have already covered how ratings / viewership will be very important in TEW2020, and one of the new features that gels with that is the ability for companies to 'block tape' TV shows. A company can now tape up to four episodes at once. The advantage of this is that it slashes the cost of producing the show (because everything is already in place so there's no need to transport of set-up multiple times), but the disadvantage is that the further ahead a show is taped, the more its ratings are going to get reduced, therefore the company will potentially be losing out on valuable broadcast revenue.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Can TEW2020 come out already? I wanna play Football-Manager-but-Wrestlemans.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can TEW2020 come out already? I wanna play Football-Manager-but-Wrestlemans.

Since Adam hasn't said anything about the release date changing, I'm still expecting it out April/May.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Astro7x posted:

From the C2E2 AEW Panel today

... no loving way

i probably shouldn't be getting my hopes up but "an engine everyone wants" has got to mean the fuckin AKI engine, there's no other specific game engine I ever see held up as the amazing high bar to pass

if Tony Khan's money can get AKI/Syn Sophia back together and back making wrestling games, I am going to lose my loving poo poo

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

... no loving way

i probably shouldn't be getting my hopes up but "an engine everyone wants" has got to mean the fuckin AKI engine, there's no other specific game engine I ever see held up as the amazing high bar to pass

if Tony Khan's money can get AKI/Syn Sophia back together and back making wrestling games, I am going to lose my loving poo poo

It'll be the Yukes Smackdown 2 engine.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

... no loving way

They’ve teased it being AKI (and how much they’ve wanted to work with AKI on this) enough times it’d legit be more surprising at this point if it weren’t them

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is there anyone out there who has extremely fond memories of that engine but can't remember a drat thing about it. wasn't it c-buttons to run the ropes? That seems weird as poo poo now. I'm sorry. I don't remember

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
It'd be surprising because AKI doesn't exist as they used to be and probably don't have the source codes for the old aki engine anymore

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cavauro posted:

is there anyone out there who has extremely fond memories of that engine but can't remember a drat thing about it. wasn't it c-buttons to run the ropes? That seems weird as poo poo now. I'm sorry. I don't remember

I remember loving the games, I don’t for a moment believe I could play one today without minimum twenty minutes spent looking at a book reminding me of the controls

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chris James 2 posted:

They’ve teased it being AKI (and how much they’ve wanted to work with AKI on this) enough times it’d legit be more surprising at this point if it weren’t them

They would need a time machine to do so :confused:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Cavauro posted:

Play the first Def Jam game on ps2. That should give you a good idea of what AKI controls in a wrestling game are like on a less absurd controller.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

As bizarre as the N64 controller might be, there's nothing that weird about the controls in the AKI N64 games. Movement on the d-pad, moves and various actions on the six face buttons, reversals on the shoulder buttons, and taunts/specials on the analog stick. Some more advanced maneuvers might be a bit harder to figure out, but it's a pretty straightforward control scheme overall.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

It was also no problem on No Mercy to map everything to an XBox controller years later, so designing it from the ground up for new controllers shouldn’t be any issue at all

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Yea, I don't get why you'd want to work with AKI so bad. License the tech, maybe (I guess I never found those games as fun as everyone else) but anyone who might've worked on those games would have not touched them in 20 years, if anyone is even still around at the company. I don't envy whoever has to port that old-rear end N64 code to something maintainable.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

spongeh posted:

Yea, I don't get why you'd want to work with AKI so bad. License the tech, maybe (I guess I never found those games as fun as everyone else) but anyone who might've worked on those games would have not touched them in 20 years, if anyone is even still around at the company. I don't envy whoever has to port that old-rear end N64 code to something maintainable.
They were fun games people enjoyed playing, something no one has said about Yukes games in years.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I'm assuming saying "it's an engine everyone wants" just means "yeah we're gonna just make our own version of the AKI gameplay system with someone else so it takes time to make it from scratch"

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.

DLC Inc posted:

I'm assuming saying "it's an engine everyone wants" just means "yeah we're gonna just make our own version of the AKI gameplay system with someone else so it takes time to make it from scratch"

That’s my guess on this too. It’s not a complicated engine (which is why I can still go back to those games today and have fun, something I can’t say for a lot of other wrestling games), so telling a developer like Yukes or whomever “just make No Mercy with modern graphics and some quality of life improvements” is the likely route.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I want a cooking simulator where I have to play a minigame to keep Hangman from drinking all the cooking booze.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DLC Inc posted:

Yes. I don't know why everyone jumps to AKI making it and thinks "Do they even have the source codes anymore?!?"

WWE Day of Reckoning 2 had a very similar engine to the AKI one, and that was made by Yukes. You can take an idea and improve on it and not be sued

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You can make it completely identical in gameplay if you don't steal any code. Game mechanics aren't protected in any way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

You can make it completely identical in gameplay if you don't steal any code. Game mechanics aren't protected in any way.

Something AEW is very aware of, given a certain 2 ring cage match.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

Weak grapple/strong grapple isn’t going to be hard to reproduce on modern consoles.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I think that the AEW AKI game should be authentic and just randomly delete all your saves about 3% of the time when you turn it on. Also since Kenny Omega is sans the skeleton, it should also be Undertale.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they have been consistent in saying its going to be the engine/game everybody wants and kenny and syn sophia FKA aki followed each other on twitter. pretty sure this is all in this very thread

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

QWOP but its Kenny Omega kissing each of his funkos and packing them up for sale

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Yea, it doesn't seem like they're cloning the AKI gameplay at all. Everything they've been saying is that it is the AKI engine. Which still sounds like a weird thing to try and revive, but it's hard to say until something comes out of it.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I would have to imagine that nobody working at Syn Sophia has worked on any of those wrestling games from 20 years ago, and that there would be no benefit to working with them just because it's the same company technically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the last def jam game with the engine was less than 15 years ago so idk I think japanese employment culture suggests a lot of those people would still be around? and the primary benefit would be that they own the engine in question, right?

edit: actually they did a kinnikuman game like 12 years ago don't know how similar that is

Super No Vacancy fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 2, 2020