Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull
lmao at the failure of thought that causes you to cheat in dumb ways but not just wholesale copy your opponents car when your team is a massive failure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

welcome 2 Clown Town posted:

lmao at the failure of thought that causes you to cheat in dumb ways but not just wholesale copy your opponents car when your team is a massive failure

turn on your monitor

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Given Lawrence's fashion connections, I really hope Racing. have the most stylish firesuits.

Please do something now with Lance's hair.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Minto Took posted:

Given Lawrence's fashion connections, I really hope Racing. have the most stylish firesuits.

Please do something now with Lance's hair eyebrows.

Fixed that for you OP

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
They're going to end up canceling the whole season because of SARS 2, and nobody will actually care much. Oh no, we missed out on DAS. Next formula, thx.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Rebus posted:

Pride?

To be honest the development direction is dictated by the chief engineers, who say "this shall be our design philosophy and these are the ways we will measure that you are delivering what I want you to deliver".

I guess whoever that guy is at tracing • said "just wholesale copy the fastest car, no new ideas of your own lads".

I thought pride cometh before the fall, not like a decade or two after it?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Rebus posted:

Pride?

To be honest the development direction is dictated by the chief engineers, who say "this shall be our design philosophy and these are the ways we will measure that you are delivering what I want you to deliver".

I guess whoever that guy is at tracing • said "just wholesale copy the fastest car, no new ideas of your own lads".

There was a meeting where they got together and said 'this car lineage has had fundamental flaws from the start and everything goes in the bin before 2021 anyway, how do you fancy trying to copy last year's Merc instead of another year trying to compensate for a bad car?'

I guess presenting it as a fun technical challenge in a write off year is better than just saying 'you aren't capable of fixing this car'

I presume the idea is to come out of the blocks with a good car and coast on it whilst devoting everything possible to the 2021 car, which isn't the worst idea. With Strollbux their finishing position in the WCC is less critical.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

"we're not owned, we're not owned!" Williams continue to insist as their cars are slowly crushed and recycled into Ford Cortinas

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Strolls are a stain in Grand Prix Racing and straight up buying a car should be banned.- Enzo Ferrari

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

has anyone commented on those dirty Italians and the CORVID 19 virus?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
https://twitter.com/ConnyRACING/status/1233376294081044481

This season will be a mess

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Zeta Acosta posted:

Strolls are a stain in Grand Prix Racing and straight up buying a car should be banned.- Enzo Ferrari

Straight up buying a car is banned. They didn't buy a car off Mercedes, they meticulously copied it from photos, hence 'tracing point'

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
They made some strange (to me) excuse about wind tunnels
    “We have been working in the Mercedes wind tunnel since May last year. It makes more sense to follow their concept than to build a Red Bull. All the tools and test procedures in the Mercedes tunnel are tailored to this concept.”
    -Racing Point’s technical chief Andy Green

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Minto Took posted:

they should go full early 90s benetton

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rinkles posted:

They made some strange (to me) excuse about wind tunnels
    “We have been working in the Mercedes wind tunnel since May last year. It makes more sense to follow their concept than to build a Red Bull. All the tools and test procedures in the Mercedes tunnel are tailored to this concept.”
    -Racing Point’s technical chief Andy Green

That seems like a relentlessly stupid thing to admit

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Big Huski Boi posted:

Much like being a Tifosi.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

There won’t be any tifosis left after Italy descends into covid chaos

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Big Huski Boi posted:

That's talking about switching to a lower rake concept, which it would make sense would have totally different wind tunnel configurations.

They have been buying parts designed for Mercedes which doesn't have extreme rake, and putting them in a high rake car, so everything is compromised by that.

It's totally ridiculous that they've done what they've done, but there's no suggestion they have been helped by Mercedes to do it.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Watching season 2 of the netflix show and Gunther seems like a nice lad who really cares but keeping Grossjean and Magnussen is a loving baflling decision.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Tsaedje posted:

That's talking about switching to a lower rake concept, which it would make sense would have totally different wind tunnel configurations.

They have been buying parts designed for Mercedes which doesn't have extreme rake, and putting them in a high rake car, so everything is compromised by that.

It's totally ridiculous that they've done what they've done, but there's no suggestion they have been helped by Mercedes to do it.

"All the tools and test procedures in the Mercedes tunnel are tailored to this concept" sounds extremely suspicious to me, there shouldn't be "tools and test procedures" left over for them to benefit from.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Zeta Acosta posted:

Watching season 2 of the netflix show and Gunther seems like a nice lad who really cares but keeping Grossjean and Magnussen is a loving baflling decision.

the British GP part of ep 2 was the exact poo poo you want from this show.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

The Croc posted:

they should go full early 90s benetton

You mean on fire?

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

The Croc posted:

the British GP part of ep 2 was the exact poo poo you want from this show.

thats what im talking about, why the gently caress he keep them after that fiasco. the only answer i can think is that they are cheap? what a bunch of idiots

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Watched the first 20 minutes of drive to survive on my way to work and it's already delivered with Renault saying "we are ready to join the Ferraris, Mercedes and Red Bull this season ."

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

NtotheTC posted:

You mean on fire?

Only if they hire Max Verstappen

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Can I get a tldr for the off season thread? Specifically who had the smoothest brain opinions. Tia.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Zeta Acosta posted:

thats what im talking about, why the gently caress he keep them after that fiasco. the only answer i can think is that they are cheap? what a bunch of idiots

I assume at this point netflix are paying their salaries so drive to survive has its laurel and hardy.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

marshalljim posted:

They're going to end up canceling the whole season because of SARS 2, and nobody will actually care much. Oh no, we missed out on DAS. Next formula, thx.

Lewis should still get the WDC though

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
The Gassly ep is heartbreaking

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

GramCracker posted:

Can I get a tldr for the off season thread? Specifically who had the smoothest brain opinions. Tia.

Here are the highlights

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903248&userid=137807

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Zeta Acosta posted:

The Gassly ep is heartbreaking
More heartbreaking than the Ocon episode? Ocon, an actual poor boy who grew up an orphan on the streets, booted out of his seat for Lance Stroll?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
The episode with the Rich Energy guy was just amazing

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

More heartbreaking than the Ocon episode? Ocon, an actual poor boy who grew up an orphan on the streets, booted out of his seat for Lance Stroll?

The better driver got the seat

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I think the only thing I took away from this test is that Mercedes still has the fastest car.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I don’t think what Racing Point did was ridiculous. To be quite honest it’s what I would probably do in that situation.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

lmao what is this fresh nonsense? https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-fia-engine-private-settlement/4700615/

“The wording of the FIA statement is especially intriguing, as the governing body does not state that it found the power unit to have fully complied with the regulations.”

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

andyf posted:

lmao what is this fresh nonsense? https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferrari-fia-engine-private-settlement/4700615/

“The wording of the FIA statement is especially intriguing, as the governing body does not state that it found the power unit to have fully complied with the regulations.”

So Ferrari threw a ton of money at the FIA basically saying "Look we cheated but PLEASE don't tell anyone because we still couldn't get third in the WDC and it would be massively humiliating for us"

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Ferrari didn’t cheat. The FIA would’ve said if they were.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

the kentucky quid posted:

this an insane take considering ferrari definitely cheated and we saw them lose 4 tenths on the straights as soon as it was brought to light.

e: ahahaha, as part of the settlement Ferrari will be made to "assist the FIA in other regulatory duties in Formula 1 and in its research activities on carbon emissions and sustainable fuels."

Yeah totally the kind of settlement deal you make with a team that did nothing wrong.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

the kentucky quid posted:

The word settlement definitely points to Ferrari having cheated.