Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Hell, CR has their own animated series.

-

35 hours left on this!

UnCO3 posted:

So, I broke one of my drat fingers at work and that means pretty much no work until next month, when I have some stuff that doesn't need both hands fully functional. I've set up a sale of most of my paid games called the "Speak the Sky broke their drat finger" Sale to try and get some money up so I can pay rent. 1/3 off because 1/3 of my digits on that finger are broken! There's also a special bundle price, but it's just $20.08 -> $20.00 for neatness' sake. The games on sale are:

Twilight Song, a pastoral sci-fi Quiet Year hack set in the twilight of humanity's era, as the world slowly transforms into something strange, beautiful, and new.

From Sea to Shining Sea, a GMless PbtA-ish near-future cyberpunk game of gonzo journalism on the dark side of the moon, heavily inspired by Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Angels of the Railway Stations, an epistolary game about angels helping lonely strangers in railway stations in a time of loneliness and bloodshed.

Like Skyscrapers Blotting Out The Sun, a 2-player game of woes in translation where one player is a writer, writing their story line by line, and the other is a translator, taking up room on the page with footnotes that explain all the hidden meanings and nuances of the original work - or so they think.

and

The Cromlech Archives, a game of found-footage weird horror where you create an increasingly-aberrant set of fragmentary records that pose more questions than they answer.

Here's a tweet linking the sale if you feel like giving that a boost:

https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1229866317206949889

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

eonwe posted:

Do you all have some suggestions for 2 player games? Board Games / Puzzles / Card Games/ whatever

Crystal Clans is solid if you're into tactics games.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Thought this Kickstarter for battlemat books was pretty neat.

I already have two of their existing books and they're good, but two books that you put side-by-side and mix and match (with optional tiny book to be stuff like bridges between the two) are a fairly rad idea.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There have been multiple D&D movies, ranging from "not literally D&D, but portrays D&D as a life-destroying satanic cult" to "officially D&D-branded, and so tremendously loving awful that it poisoned an already obscure brand."

There are also like 50 different anime series that fit this description, and 5000 that fit that description but the main character is a teenager from our world who got sent or reborn there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSC4nCa6Qw4

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

For a long, long time the D&D movie poisoned the well. A good friend of mine was a creative exec for Gore Verbinski in the mid 00s, and she called me one time to ask what Baldur's Gate was and if it was a worthy property to adapt to film. I told her the story is great and it's basically a D&D thing, and she was like "Oh, well that won't make it past the money people. Dang! Nevermind."

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
The promised follow up post, discussing campaign frameworks and inter-scene structures. This is probably a topic I will need to return to later, but I feel like this is a good primer on the subject.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
If you want a small, easy to pick up two player game, Tussie Mussie is fantastic.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah! Played Tussie Mussie after a game of Flotilla. It's... what I wanted from Sushi Go.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Why isn't there a D&D show yet, anyway?

Like, not a groundbreaking fantasy series or anything, just why isn't there a bog standard Scottish dwarf pretty elf arrogant wizard sort of generic fantasy show with MCU style jokes and sight gags designed to fit neatly into a gif, one whose message is transparently "YOU can play these kinds of stories if you buy our game", kinda like toy commercial cartoons in the 80s?

I've been saying for years that if there was a decent D&D show the game would sell way way more, but Hasbro / Wizards don't give a poo poo about marketing D&D to a wider audience at all for some reason. They're happy with it being a nerd niche.

Stranger Things and Rick and Morty D&D show that giving people an in can cause huge increases to sales. Hopefully they're waking up.

There was a D&D cartoon once but it was super cheesy. The movies were also cheesy but fun.

Even better I think would be to do like Harmon Quest and have celebrities play D&D and then get CG or hand animation (or even live action if you wanna burn money) to re-enact the game they play.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Amazon also picked up the Critical Role show, so yeah there's going to be a D&D TV show on a major streaming service, too. Not sure if it counts as "officially D&D-branded" but they must have gotten the okay from Hasbro for some of the unique IP stuff, and Critical Role is also putting out a first party setting supplement through WotC, so they all seem to be on good terms still, professionally.

Well there ya go

The lastest D&D official premade campaign is based on Critical Role's universe, so its pretty drat close to "officially branded" at this point.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Nuns with Guns posted:

Amazon also picked up the Critical Role show, so yeah there's going to be a D&D TV show on a major streaming service, too. Not sure if it counts as "officially D&D-branded" but they must have gotten the okay from Hasbro for some of the unique IP stuff, and Critical Role is also putting out a first party setting supplement through WotC, so they all seem to be on good terms still, professionally.

Also, NBC is doing an animated show based on Adventure Zone. In the same boat of, not really official, but it's D&D, and the source material is really good.
https://www.themarysue.com/the-adventure-zone-animated-series/

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
One problem with D&D media is that D&D is that virtually all fantasy media of the past 40 years is directly or indirectly influenced by D&D. Even if an author never plays it themselves they are influenced by the legions of creators who have. A D&D movie/TV/book series is exactly like every other fantasy media you've ever consumed because they're all D&D with the serial numbers filed off.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

My Lovely Horse posted:

Why isn't there a D&D show yet, anyway?

Like, not a groundbreaking fantasy series or anything, just why isn't there a bog standard Scottish dwarf pretty elf arrogant wizard sort of generic fantasy show with MCU style jokes and sight gags designed to fit neatly into a gif, one whose message is transparently "YOU can play these kinds of stories if you buy our game", kinda like toy commercial cartoons in the 80s?

All I want, and all I will continue to want, is more of the Fell's Five D&D comic. TV show, comic book, novel, I don't care, just give me more of that.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I want a super trashy, Spartacus levels of blood and loving TV adaptation of Rat Queens. And a pony.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gobbeldygook posted:

One problem with D&D media is that D&D is that virtually all fantasy media of the past 40 years is directly or indirectly influenced by D&D. Even if an author never plays it themselves they are influenced by the legions of creators who have. A D&D movie/TV/book series is exactly like every other fantasy media you've ever consumed because they're all D&D with the serial numbers filed off.

which is why a good D&D show would pick one of the less-generic D&D settings, like say dark sun; but that can't happen because no exec is going to say "ah, so this isn't just a d&d show that can't possibly succeed just look at the history of spectacular failure, but this is a niche D&D setting that only a fraction of D&D players will recognize?"

And yet, a The Witcher show has been made and it's successful, so if someone could get over that initial hurdle, it's totally workable.

Alternative view: D&D The Show has already been done, and it was called Star Trek.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I still think - if they could figure out a way to de-blackface Drow - Salvatore's stuff would make a fine movie.

That's a big barrier, I know, but....

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

dwarf74 posted:

I still think - if they could figure out a way to de-blackface Drow - Salvatore's stuff would make a fine movie.

Leperflesh posted:

which is why a good D&D show would pick one of the less-generic D&D settings, like say dark sun; but that can't happen because no exec is going to say "ah, so this isn't just a d&d show that can't possibly succeed just look at the history of spectacular failure, but this is a niche D&D setting that only a fraction of D&D players will recognize?"

And yet, a The Witcher show has been made and it's successful, so if someone could get over that initial hurdle, it's totally workable.
Drizzt is the only character in the entire D&D continuity that a significant fraction of the community could identify from a picture. I've never read an RA Salvatore book but I know through osmosis that Drizzt is a Chaotic Good Drow ranger who dual-wields swords and has a panther sidekick.

The Dragonlance Chronicles were widely read outside of the D&D fandom and it's movie adaptation was also a flop.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Don't bother, Salvatore's books are garbage.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Do a combination straight fantasy show with the players as the framework narrative. A player starts not showing up as often, this is folded into the fantasy world as the character becoming increasingly distant and taking less initiative. Last episode is the character leaving the party and the players going to their friend's funeral.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ilor posted:

I mean yeah, but there's a market for simple and formulaic movies that cash in on early 90's nostalgia. Plus, it could be a fun romp.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Gobbeldygook posted:

The Dragonlance Chronicles were widely read outside of the D&D fandom and it's movie adaptation was also a flop.

Eh, it could've been perfectly average fantasy garbage, but they threw a bunch of money down a well stunt casting voices and chasing barely-90's quality level blended animation, neither of which panned out.

Ilor posted:

The third Drizzt origin book was the first book I ever just gave up on in the middle of reading, and I was only like 50 pages from the end. Nonetheless the basic framework of that story could make a fine mid-budget fantasy adaptation.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bbcisdabomb posted:

All I want, and all I will continue to want, is more of the Fell's Five D&D comic. TV show, comic book, novel, I don't care, just give me more of that.

To not emptyquote, hard agree. John Rogers said in the past they picked the worst time in the world to put the book on hiatus.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Xiahou Dun posted:

I want a super trashy, Spartacus levels of blood and loving TV adaptation of Rat Queens. And a pony.

poo poo, when you put it like that I'm surprised HBO or whoever hasn't adapted Rat Queens.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Xiahou Dun posted:

My only problem with a Rat Queens show is that I want it to be the first few issues of Rat Queens, but didn't the original writer turn out to be a pest?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

bbcisdabomb posted:

My only problem with a Rat Queens show is that I want it to be the first few issues of Rat Queens, but didn't the original writer turn out to be a pest?
Artist. He was abusive, iirc.

Writer canned him right away. And the later artists unfortunately didn't capture the spirit.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Well, poo poo, I didn't know that. I mostly just cared about the writing anyway, so as long as that rear end in a top hat doesn't get no money I'd still be down.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xiahou Dun posted:

Well, poo poo, I didn't know that. I mostly just cared about the writing anyway, so as long as that rear end in a top hat doesn't get no money I'd still be down.

That would be the issue. I believe part of the contract is the original artist always gets a piece.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

UnCO3 posted:

Hell, CR has their own animated series.

...that's the show Amazon is picking up. The episodes that were funded through the kickstarter will still be available somehow, iirc, but Amazon is bankrolling more.

Foolster41 posted:

Also, NBC is doing an animated show based on Adventure Zone. In the same boat of, not really official, but it's D&D, and the source material is really good.
https://www.themarysue.com/the-adventure-zone-animated-series/

There's something so prototypical'y "D&D" about all these corporations rolling in and profiting off of not-quite-official media franchises that have spun out of D&D completely of their own initiative and in spite of D&D itself.

Gobbeldygook posted:

The cartoon movie had a lot stacked against it, so that was no surprise. The plot of the original Dragonlance Trilogy has like "potential" as far as adapting, but everyone wants adult fantasy stories to be like Witcher or Game of Thrones now and that's pretty much anathema to the background of Dragonlance. An Adult Fantasy Dragonlance would be hilarious for a number of reasons, but also... might as well just pay for more Witcher episodes or Game of Thrones spinoffs if you're going to bother with that.

dwarf74 posted:

WotC has kind of tried this with drifting drow skin tones closer to dark purple/blue, but that's just as absurdly unworkable in a movie soooo

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

oh hey i have a minor effort post about rat queens from a different thread that's relevant now

Alaois posted:

okay the story of Rat Queens is a fairly unpleasant one

It started as the creation of two guys, writer Kurtis Wiebe and artist Roc Upchurch. Upchurch is on the book until issue 8, when he's arrested for domestic violence and removed from the book. He's replaced by Stepjan Sejic, who is a very good artist but he only draws 2 issues before leaving for "health reasons." Sejic is replaced by Tess Fowler, who's on the book for the next 6 issues but, according to her, was pushed out of the book by Wiebe so that Upchurch could come back as the artist. I don't think it's ever been outright confirmed but people think that the actual reason Sejic left the book was because he caught wind of Wiebe wanting to bring back Upchurch eventually. This ends up not happening because Fowler blew up their spot, the comic goes on hiatus, comes back as a webcomic, then starts a new print run with a "reboot" and a new artist, Owen Gieni. Wiebe and Gieni release 15 issues of the comic before stopping again, and now there's an entirely new writer and art team working on the book.

so yeah Rat Queens is a cursed comic book.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gobbeldygook posted:

except that there hasn't really been any other fantasy shows either until recently like herculeas and xena were pretty much it untill the witcher

Splicer posted:

Do a combination straight fantasy show with the players as the framework narrative. A player starts not showing up as often, this is folded into the fantasy world as the character becoming increasingly distant and taking less initiative. Last episode is the character leaving the party and the players going to their friend's funeral.

uh don't do this just do a straight forward show with good characters and decent production value

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O c'mon there was the Legend of the Seek-ahahahahahahahha.

No but seriously Game of Thrones was a thing.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I admire the Rat Queens writer's directness in realizing he'd made his story waaay to grimdark and not even trying to write his way back out of it, just saying "gently caress this, time skip ahead to where things are okay again, new story." I've totally done this in a game or two when an arc didn't work out.

Elfgames posted:

except that there hasn't really been any other fantasy shows either until recently like herculeas and xena were pretty much it untill the witcher

uh don't do this just do a straight forward show with good characters and decent production value
but then where do we get teen/early 20s identification figures and lifelike drama?

Netflix Original: The Gamers would be one hell of a monkey's paw twist.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

O c'mon there was the Legend of the Seek-ahahahahahahahha.

No but seriously Game of Thrones was a thing.

lol i meant to say that one too but as i didn't watch it it slipped my mind

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

oh hey i have a minor effort post about rat queens from a different thread that's relevant now

While the Sejic story could likely be true, the dude was doing like a dozen comics at the time (exaggeration, but not by much) so it could well have been health problems, like possibly his wrist exploding.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Dawgstar posted:

While the Sejic story could likely be true, the dude was doing like a dozen comics at the time (exaggeration, but not by much) so it could well have been health problems, like possibly his wrist exploding.

Dude was doing a handful of comics for Top Cow at the same time, I think, then there was his own stuff - but I could be wrong, his wife has a similar style and does and whole bunch of work herself.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

An Adult Fantasy Dragonlance would be hilarious for a number of reasons,

Most of the reason everyone's mopey in Dragonlance is that they either didn't get to gently caress, or worse, did get to gently caress.

Also, hauberks get lowered within the first couple of scenes.

It needs to be made by the Riverdale/Sabrina people.

E: like "I hate being Tanis, my step family messed me up, I like Laura but also Kitiara, oh noooooo my hauberk is wet I better lower it down look at my aaaaaaaabs".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 29, 2020

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Most of the reason everyone's mopey in Dragonlance is that they either didn't get to gently caress, or worse, did get to gently caress.
To be fair, these are maybe 60% of the reasons people get mopey in real life

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'm stupid sexy Sturm and I am broody because my unrequitted (but slightly requitted at least once) love clashes with my family's expectations oh no I've been stabbed right in my perfect abs laurana lower my hauberk so kitiara can mourn my abs.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
I've never read a DragonLance book in my life, but having picked up the Extremely Mormon Subtext from the horrible animated movie I think I can safely say I would watch it every week with an adult beverage in one hand and a twitter MSTing liveblog in the other. I'd eat that poo poo up with a spoon. No matter how traditionally "good" the production values were, it would still be terrible and I'd love every second.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I'm stupid sexy Sturm and I am broody because my unrequitted (but slightly requitted at least once) love clashes with my family's expectations oh no I've been stabbed right in my perfect abs laurana lower my hauberk so kitiara can mourn my abs.

Tasslehoff Burrfoot getting the Riverdale-Jughead treatment would kind of rule, yeah...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Kaz is just a hot dude with glued-on horns