Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Louisgod posted:

I'm the wizard hat that takes up 1/10th of my business working space

I'm the chair that is either a legless seat/back sitting on top of a footrest, or has the legs inexplicably wrapped in cloth.

Spoonman should take his woodworking skills to make him some new legs for his chair. Hell, make them artisanal and start a reclaimed chair business out of it. Probably more money in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
OP I'm quite certain based on your information here that Spoonman posts on this site so I would delete the photo and also talk to a lawyer and if you're not a scum landlord help the dude find a new place to live if you evict him

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Do you have (artisanal) spoons in your house?

No, I am evicted.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Landlords are excellent clients (they have money).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

joat mon posted:

No, I am evicted.

:lol:

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
OP is this your house?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

joat mon posted:

No, I am evicted.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

joat mon posted:

No, I am evicted.

Old school. Respect :hfive:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

joat mon posted:

No, I am evicted.

:kiss:

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

DaveSauce posted:

I'm the chair that is either a legless seat/back sitting on top of a footrest, or has the legs inexplicably wrapped in cloth.

Insulated Chairs

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I'm the guy getting evicted from a garage that almost certainly doesn't meet bedroom requirements for rentals

In an unrelated hypothetical, if the landlord furnishes a space heater does that meet heating requirements in Portland, Oregon.

In a second unrelated hypothetical, my 50-foot extension cord gets really warm when I run the space heater - who is liable when if I burn the garage down?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

thehoodie posted:

OP I'm quite certain based on your information here that Spoonman posts on this site

Oh hell yeah

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

joat mon posted:

No, I am evicted.

:sickos:

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Devor posted:

I'm the guy getting evicted from a garage that almost certainly doesn't meet bedroom requirements for rentals

In an unrelated hypothetical, if the landlord furnishes a space heater does that meet heating requirements in Portland, Oregon.

In a second unrelated hypothetical, my 50-foot extension cord gets really warm when I run the space heater - who is liable when if I burn the garage down?

Sorry if I was unclear, he rents a bedroom and the garage as well.

I’m happy to post my workstation but it is in my room, not the living room so it doesn’t seem comparable. Also I don’t illegally import Chinese poo poo and boil it or sand it in common areas where random toxic poo poo could get in the air or what have you, particularly when I have a space set aside specifically for that.

I do wonder if he’s a goon but c’est la vie.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 28, 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

thehoodie posted:

OP I'm quite certain based on your information here that Spoonman posts on this site so I would delete the photo and also talk to a lawyer and if you're not a scum landlord help the dude find a new place to live if you evict him

I’d be happy to let him stay longer if he was willing to actively find another place to live but instead he posted a manifesto on the fridge after repeatedly demanding I explain why I didn’t like him resulted in me instructing him to communicate with me in writing. Which to be fair it was a written manifesto so he did follow that instruction.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

why would you post pictures of his desk

post the manifesto

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

evilweasel posted:

why would you post pictures of his desk

post the manifesto

For the spoons.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Ianal but I think the "post the manifesto" bit is actually some legal advice so you have to do it

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You def should not post the fridge manifesto

Even tho I really want you to. (do it).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

euphronius posted:

You def should not post the fridge manifesto

Even tho I really want you to. (do it).

I mean does he have some reasonable expectation of privacy for something he posts in a common area?

Maybe I could just get a boom box and play spoonman really loud all the time.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I mean does he have some reasonable expectation of privacy for something he posts in a common area?

Maybe I could just get a boom box and play spoonman really loud all the time.

You know who could answer that question?

Your lawyer.

I am extremely doubtful that your occupant brother in the house your mother owns actually has landlord authority, and I'm even more doubtful that you have it simply because he's said he wants you to take over essentially being the landlord.

A responsible adult would consult a professional who can tell them whether they actually hold this position and the attendant rights and responsibilities, not ask specific advice from a comedy forum thread explicitly not for that purpose. In my mind, that same adult wouldn't try to humiliate someone he thinks is his tenant on the basis of his perceived disability, but maybe that's just my crazy opinion.

As much as I would love to watch you continue to make an rear end of yourself and post more potentially incriminating information, it really rubs me the wrong way that you think the best way to deal with this situation is to gently caress with someone's life because you think you have the right to do so.

I get that you don't want to live with the guy, but the way you're going about this sounds really unfair, needlessly mean, and if there's any justice in the world, will really bite you in the rear end.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Sorry for the derail away from the comedy, but I remembered a hypothetical that's been bugging me for years.

So say you have two companies, company B (the buyer) buys custom equipment from company S (the seller). B sends over a request for quote (RFQ) for something specific, and sends over engineering specifications stating, "it shall contain X, Y, and Z." S sends a written quote over along with Terms and Conditions (T&Cs) that say, "We can do X and Y, but Z ain't happening, and by buying this you agree to our T&Cs." B sends a PO over with T&Cs that state, "we bought per our RFQ + specifications, no changes, and by selling this you agree to our T&Cs."

Pretend this is all done blindly, and/or anyone who negotiated a deal on the side got hit by a bus (usually changing T&Cs is complicated/impossible, so it's often a handshake agreement), so only the T&Cs exist to battle it out.

Whose T&Cs prevail? The buyer's or the seller's? Or is it massively complicated depending on the exact verbiage in each company's T&Cs?

For sake of argument, both parties are in my current state of NC (if state matters).

But I'm also interested in the extremely common scenario of what happens if each party are in a different state (and each party's T&Cs say that all legal matters are resolved in their respective state's courts).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Google “battle of the forms”.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

There’s literally a legal term for this situation—“battle of the forms.”

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

BonerGhost posted:

You know who could answer that question?

Your lawyer.

I am extremely doubtful that your occupant brother in the house your mother owns actually has landlord authority, and I'm even more doubtful that you have it simply because he's said he wants you to take over essentially being the landlord.

A responsible adult would consult a professional who can tell them whether they actually hold this position and the attendant rights and responsibilities, not ask specific advice from a comedy forum thread explicitly not for that purpose. In my mind, that same adult wouldn't try to humiliate someone he thinks is his tenant on the basis of his perceived disability, but maybe that's just my crazy opinion.

As much as I would love to watch you continue to make an rear end of yourself and post more potentially incriminating information, it really rubs me the wrong way that you think the best way to deal with this situation is to gently caress with someone's life because you think you have the right to do so.

I get that you don't want to live with the guy, but the way you're going about this sounds really unfair, needlessly mean, and if there's any justice in the world, will really bite you in the rear end.

Sorry for making jokes on a comedy forum duder. Thanks for setting me straight I really value the insight you’ve given me. I appreciate you kramering in to this thread on a comedy forum and reminding me not to actually literally follow every joking suggestion a goon makes. Obviously I’m now we’ll advised that if I post something like “maybe if I” it’s “potentially incriminating”; I’ll place exactly the amount of value on your advice it merits.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

pseudanonymous posted:

Sorry for making jokes on a comedy forum duder. Thanks for setting me straight I really value the insight you’ve given me. I appreciate you kramering in to this thread on a comedy forum and reminding me not to actually literally follow every joking suggestion a goon makes. Obviously I’m now we’ll advised that if I post something like “maybe if I” it’s “potentially incriminating”; I’ll place exactly the amount of value on your advice it merits.

For what it’s worth, OP, all these people dunking on you calling you a slumlord and saying you’re being mean would react the same way or worse if they were living with a tenant that made them uncomfortable in a house their family owned. It’s easy to judge from the peanut gallery.

Just get a gotdam lawyer.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
"family wants/needs a place" is the literal most common bullshit way to scam around renter protection laws here. it generally means "we found a cousin to live here while we renovate so we can shove this family out and charge more rent for it" so that's why people familiar with the specific laws and history involved are skeptical of the explanation

anyway. speaking only as a professional woodworker, if him sanding indoors is a problem that's entirely fair, and there's ways he can mitigate that which you would be within reason to expect of him, ranging from "dust collection equipment" to "just sanding outside" or maybe doing it all in the garage he apparently rents? I dunno. You can solve this like adults if that is actually what you want

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
if thats really where he makes the spoons that is very tidy. Whittling makes a ton of wood scraps

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

if thats really where he makes the spoons that is very tidy. Whittling makes a ton of wood scraps

yeah also this, if he sits in that spot carving hardwood he also vacuums the gently caress out of it afterwards, which is a pain but also reasonable if you're gonna do that in a shared area

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
A lawyer might also be able to tell Johnny Fivespoons if the tenant protections apply to his situation if it’s owner-occupied

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I think he does most of his crafting poo poo in the garage. He's very careful not to do certain things when I'm home so I don't always know what's going on. He sometimes solders in the living room, he's been known to boil spoons in the kitchen.

Javid posted:

"family wants/needs a place" is the literal most common bullshit way to scam around renter protection laws here. it generally means "we found a cousin to live here while we renovate so we can shove this family out and charge more rent for it" so that's why people familiar with the specific laws and history involved are skeptical of the explanation

anyway. speaking only as a professional woodworker, if him sanding indoors is a problem that's entirely fair, and there's ways he can mitigate that which you would be within reason to expect of him, ranging from "dust collection equipment" to "just sanding outside" or maybe doing it all in the garage he apparently rents? I dunno. You can solve this like adults if that is actually what you want

If he would act even remotely like an adult we'd have 0 problems. I have tremendous sympathy for the fact he's mentally ill and trying to make his way. Part of why I'm posting here and being so loving mean about it is to deal with on a comedy forum rather than just screaming at him when he does something ludicrous and acts like he's the victim.

I don't want to worry he's going to flip out and hurt my dog, I don't want to worry he's going to burn the house down soldering in the house or boiling spoons, I don't want to worry that he's going to cut his arm off in my garage (he wrote down in his manifesto that he removes the safety pieces off his cheaply made Chinese power tools). I don't want to deal with him harassing my other roommate and implicitly threatening violence and saying poo poo like "I could have a gun in my room".

I absolutely understand that people often make up poo poo like this to evict someone so they can charge more rent. I'm pretty sure if I evict him I'll end up financially worse off, he rents a tiny attic which is difficult to rent out, and a garage, which normally roommate tenants don't rent garages, so it's basically just free money for not using my garage.

I am going to get my ducks in a row and talk to a lawyer and see how he acts in the meanwhile. If he keeps doubling down every day on the insanity we're going to be well over 9000 pretty soon and I'm just going to have the pull the trigger.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

It sounds like he is doing extremely normal poo poo in the space he rents (which few other people want), and he avoids you because you're a giant dick about it

> sanding - in garage or, if indoors, properly cleaned up
> soldering - this is a completely normal indoor task, assuming you mean "small iron" and not "blowtorch and plumbing". most solder these days is lead-free, you can just ask him with words which he uses if you want
> boiling? - I'm not actually sure what this means wrt spoon making so if it's gross and smells it might need to be a hot plate in the garage instead

Javid fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 29, 2020

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Post the manifesto.
(Not legal advice)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

pseudanonymous posted:

I’m happy to post my workstation

Do it coward.

Also, what do you mean by boiling spoons? He just sets a pot of water, throws the spoons in there, turns the heat on, and comes back later?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Do it coward.

Also, what do you mean by boiling spoons? He just sets a pot of water, throws the spoons in there, turns the heat on, and comes back later?

This is in my room. My personal bedroom, not the public, common, living room:

I don't really know, I don't really care that much about the spoon boiling, it's just weird. He said it strengthens them or weakens them or something. If the spoon boiling, or the soldering or the sanding or whatever were isolated things, I wouldn't care.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Javid posted:

It sounds like he is doing extremely normal poo poo in the space he rents (which few other people want), and he avoids you because you're a giant dick about it

> sanding - in garage or, if indoors, properly cleaned up
> soldering - this is a completely normal indoor task, assuming you mean "small iron" and not "blowtorch and plumbing". most solder these days is lead-free, you can just ask him with words which he uses if you want
> boiling? - I'm not actually sure what this means wrt spoon making so if it's gross and smells it might need to be a hot plate in the garage instead

You don't boil your spoons when you carve them?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Kudos for bowing to peer pressure!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Holy 1999 screensaver Batman

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
you bought starting strength in book form wtf is wrong with you, do you not have internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You don't boil your spoons when you carve them?

I'm just gonna say.....when you make cookware kind of things out of wood boiling them removes the tannins which helps to cure them (so they aren't open pore nasty and can be cleaned after use).

Wether that is something you find acceptable or not in your bothermoms home, etc is (maybe) up to you. It's a little weird but if this dude is eeking out a living on his etsy poo poo..........