Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SeXReX posted:

After skipping gen3 I was getting back in to Pokemon with diamond and then on vacation with my spoiled rear end little cousin he pulled my DS out of my bag while I was out of the house doing something and killed the legendary I was saved in front of, then saved.

I haven't touched Pokemon since

they started having legendaries you've defeated without catching reappear if you beat the e4 + champion again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

VideoGames posted:

Thank you! I am sure it will be fine and fixed soon enough. It is actually a relief to know what the problem is. I thought maybe I was sleeping incorrectly, or there was potentially something more nefarious! Knowing that a couple of my verts are trying to escape makes things easier to solve :)

Hope you get okay mang, My back is wack too it's the kind of thing that can only be solved by pain management or measures I can't afford, glad you've got actual treatment options.

univbee posted:

A 5-letter name where 4 are vowels is a hell of a feat.

Celtic languages are pretty amazing that way (and it has a kickass mythic pedigree too)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

also i used all 100 slots for the ps3 tales games

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Looper posted:

they started having legendaries you've defeated without catching reappear if you beat the e4 + champion again

Yeah but the tree texture isn't in 16K so they're bad games

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SeXReX posted:

Yeah but the tree texture isn't in 16K so they're bad games

Checks out

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

My brother is a psychopath who plays RPGs and only uses a single save file.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

At this point I'm going through Sigil just because the soundtrack is cool and the levels look nice, even if they're miserable and lovely to actually play

It kind of goes to show what Doom does right and what it does wrong though

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

it's called confidence :smugdog:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
With modern save systems, I rotate between three saves + autosave.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
actually it's called laziness

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Gamestop has a sale going on where you can buy 2 preowned games and 2 free. I wanted to know if anyone in here can tell me if any of these games were good or not. They're all 3DS titles.

Stella Glow
The Legend of Legacy
Alliance Alive
Etrian Odyssey 5
Etrian Odyssey Nexus
Lord of Magna: Maiden Heaven
Yokai Watch 2
Yokai Watch 3
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity
Langrisser Re:Incarnation Tensei
Moco Moco Friends
Rodea the Sky Soldier (I seem to remember there being something about this release being odd, something about there actually being two different games where one is good and one isn't??)
Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VIII
Persona Q
Persona Q2
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
7th Dragon III Code: VFD
Yokai Watch Blasters Red Cat Corps

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/teesenscene/status/1233393852108677120?s=20

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Rodea the Sky Soldier (I seem to remember there being something about this release being odd, something about there actually being two different games where one is good and one isn't??)

The game was originally developed for the Wii but nobody wanted to publish it, or the publisher they had wouldn't do it, so a shittier version got made for the Wii U to the specifications of whoever denied or something like that, which also included the good Wii version.

The 3DS one is just a crappier version of the crappy Wii U one.

tbh I didn't particularly care for the Wii one either, but it's a clusterfuck

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Looper posted:

Beating Final Fantasy Tactics using a single save file :smugdog:

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Looper posted:

When he's playing Skyrim, it's hubris.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

FirstAidKite posted:

Gamestop has a sale going on where you can buy 2 preowned games and 2 free. I wanted to know if anyone in here can tell me if any of these games were good or not. They're all 3DS titles.

As much as I dearly love the SMT series and its old-school dungeon crawling, be warned that the maps in this game actively hate you and want you to die. The Redux version adds some new plot stuff (i haven't played through it all yet, so my memories are of the original DS version) but as far as I know they left the dungeon maps alone so take this one only if you're in the mood for some really sadistic dungeon crawling.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

FF14 is the only FF game where I used one save file

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Pwnstar posted:

Ive never used more than one save file unless I knew for a fact I was gonna abuse a save slot for achievement hunting. Like...what's the fear? You're gonna miss some sidequest that would have been worth replaying more than five hours worth of game to fix?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

FirstAidKite posted:

If you like Mystery dungeon games. Pokémon super Mystery dungeon is really good.

Radiant Historia was probably the best RPG on the DS and the perfect chronology stuff sorta irons out some of the bad the original had.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Depends which RPGs, anything made by Bethesda or Obsidian should have multiple saves just in case something breaks

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Ive never used more than one save file unless I knew for a fact I was gonna abuse a save slot for achievement hunting. Like...what's the fear? You're gonna miss some sidequest that would have been worth replaying more than five hours worth of game to fix?

I usually rotate three save files in case one corrupts or I overwrite it or some poo poo.

Which never happens in 2020 but I guess it's an old habit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone who doesn't rotate saves when given the opportunity is an insane person

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Gdc this year rapidly shifting from the "the only good part is hanging out in the park with Indies" of yesteryear to "the only part is hanging out in the park with Indies"

https://twitter.com/glassbottommeg/status/1233464123335364608?s=19

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 28, 2020

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

save corruption, saving yourself into a corner, the power going out midsave

all things i've had happen. it's not fun to replay the whole game because of some bullshit

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I never ever save because that's life

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Phantasium posted:

the power going out midsave

not a problem with the nintendo switch hybrid video game console :smug:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SeXReX posted:

Gdc this year rapidly shifting from the "the only good part is hanging out in the park with Indies" of yesteryear to "the only part is hanging out in the park with Indies"

https://twitter.com/glassbottommeg/status/1233464123335364608?s=19

gone

Edit: ok now it's up. I know there's real health risks involved but another part of me is more interested in how this might shape CODE-CWA (the tech labor organizing drive) that was gonna have a large presence this year

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 28, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

google released the coronavirus so stadia would have the biggest booth at gdc

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

VideoGames posted:

Always slot 2 because I like the number 2 most out of 1 2 and 3.

right but 4 is better than 2

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

Stella Glow
The Legend of Legacy
Alliance Alive
Etrian Odyssey 5
Etrian Odyssey Nexus
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates to Infinity
Dragon Quest VIII
Persona Q
Persona Q2
Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology
7th Dragon III Code: VFD

Cut out the cruft, first of all.

Legend of Legacy and Alliance Alive are basically the same game, and they're like diet SaGa games. Legend of Legacy is kind of eh but if you really like the genre you might be into them. Alliance is better.

Stella Glow is a strategy RPG but heavily embedded with wiafu stuff in a similar way to Conception. It's fine but not great.

Both Etrian Odyssey games are great but Nexus might be the more value offer since it's pretty new. Very similar overall, but great games if you like the genre.

In a similar vein, PQ/2 are basically EO games but with a Persona coat of paint. If you want a game with an actual story go with these two over EO, but I actually really like these games. They're way less difficult than EO and less grindey for sure. Q2 is a vast writing improvement despite no English voices.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon entirely depends if you want to play a Mystery Dungeon game but easy and for kids.

Dragon Quest 8 rules and the 3DS version and makes the game overall way less annoying by eliminating random encounters. DQ7 is a super long game where NOTHING happens and I found it incredibly boring

Strange Journey Redux actually does some work to make the game less brutal, but is still a very tough game where all the lategame dungeon crawling sections devolve into teleporter mazes. Easily one of the hardest dungeon crawlers that is still generally considered beatable by humans, unlike the weird obsessives-only series like Elminage

Radiant Historia should absolutely be one of the four games you get.

7th Dragon is like a story-based Etrian Odyssey but also without a lot of the strategic options or depth, good if those sorts of games feel too overwhelming or as an introduction to the genre.

If you like the Yo-Kai Watch games you might consider them, but I just don't like them at all. Cute and definitely for kids even more so than Pokemon, but battles are just like totally AFK

e: I guess my list would be DQ8, Radiant Historia, and then some combination of Strange Journey, Etrian Nexus, and PQ2. If you aren't a huge P5 fan skip Q, if you are skip Etrian. If you don't want two 60-hour dungeon crawlers, drop SJ and get Alliance Alive or one of the Yokai games if you don't want four "hardcore" JRPGs

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 28, 2020

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Make my cat love me as much as I love it

My hand is a webwork of scratches now because God knows when I'm going to hit the gently caress You timer when I'm petting her in the one of two Sanctioned Petting Zones in the four second timeframe she gives me

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Hey we might be getting info on a new wrestling game soon!

https://twitter.com/WrestlingInc/status/1233469864922243072

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
EO Nexus is good, but it's stupid long even compared to the other EO games which are not short. 5 is a good starting place if you're unfamiliar, or PQ2. I didn't care for PQ1.

I like Strange Journey a whole lot but yeah, it gets really mean.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
All my hype is based upon the size of the Pop surrounding a game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Here's a visual representation of the GDC pull-outs
https://twitter.com/XCK3D/status/1233113421404504064

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Phantasium posted:

save corruption, saving yourself into a corner, the power going out midsave

all things i've had happen. it's not fun to replay the whole game because of some bullshit

I corrupted my Vice City save with the save-on-a-motorbike bug when I was about an hour away from 100% completion and my last backup was around 40%. I ended up not replaying it for another four years.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Hey we might be getting info on a new wrestling game soon!

https://twitter.com/WrestlingInc/status/1233469864922243072

This is killing me. If they really got the aki engine, holy poo poo

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Here's a visual representation of the GDC pull-outs
https://twitter.com/XCK3D/status/1233113421404504064

Amazon just pulled out so that's another.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Legend of Legacy and Alliance Alive are basically the same game, and they're like diet SaGa games. Legend of Legacy is kind of eh but if you really like the genre you might be into them. Alliance is better.

7th Dragon is like a story-based Etrian Odyssey but also without a lot of the strategic options or depth, good if those sorts of games feel too overwhelming or as an introduction to the genre.

If you like the Yo-Kai Watch games you might consider them, but I just don't like them at all. Cute and definitely for kids even more so than Pokemon, but battles are just like totally AFK

What kind of genre would you consider Legend of Legacy and Alliance Alive to be? Like, I've only ever played a couple SaGa games and 1 SaGa-inspired game but they were the very first 2 SaGa titles and the fangame was based around those early gameboy titles too so I'm not really sure what to expect compared to later entries where I hear they vary from being a weird board game to having invisible timer elements based around how many battles you get into and requiring a guide to work through it. I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm unsure about 7th Dragon because describing it as a story-based Etrian Odyssey but with less depth and strategy sounds fine to me but from what I looked up, it is also the 3rd game in a series and I haven't played any of the others and don't know if this one is a followup plotwise or if it is more akin to stuff like mainline Final Fantasy titles where each story is its own thing that doesn't rely on the previous games in the series for plot and setting and characters and stuff.

For Yokai Watch, what about the Blasters game? It looks more like an action game and the stuff I read said it is more like a brawler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Wait, why is everyone pulling out of GDC? Coronavirus preparedness?