Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They just announced the next batch of Historic Anthology cards for Arena, and if you expected them to start dumping Pioneer cards into the format ... it decidedly isn't that. A lot of spicy stuff.

quote:

1. Ancestral Mask
2. Barren Moor
3. Bojuka Bog
4. Brain Maggot
5. Dragonmaster Outcast
6. Forgotten Cave
7. Ghost Quarter
8. Goblin Ruinblaster
9. Inexorable Tide
10. Knight of the Reliquary
11. Lonely Sandbar
12. Maelstrom Pulse
13. Meddling Mage
14. Merrow Reejerey
15. Nyx-Fleece Ram
16. Pack Rat
17. Platinum Angel
18. Ranger of Eos
19. Secluded Steppe
20. Sigil of the Empty Throne
21. Terravore
22. Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
23. Tranquil Thicket
24. Virulent Plague
25. Waste Not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the last Planeswalker art that was any good was Born of the Gods Kiora

old magic art looked like the illustrations in some kind of Wizzard’s Almanack bound in imp skin. you’d frantically look up the page to cast a Fireball while some demon was bearing down on you and you’d get this handpainted woodcut of a fireball. Now it looks like still frames from MTG: the video game

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I am so confused at their plan with historic.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

neaden posted:

You are now qualified to work at Wizards.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

neaden posted:

So are they. The plan seems to be that they really, really want mono black and soul sisters to be decks and beyond that they want

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It feels like they're making a bunch of cards to cut down the number of suspended cards in historic- several of them seem to be direct answers to field of the dead.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

neaden posted:

I think for now just make it a curated format that isn't sawn-off Pioneer or standard of late 2019 with 2 more sets. I assume at least Amonkhet and Kaladeah will be added, and I think the question of the extra historic-only cards will won't be addressed until we're near Pioneer parity.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
Terravore?????

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think for now just make it a curated format that isn't sawn-off Pioneer or standard of late 2019 with 2 more sets. I assume at least Amonkhet and Kaladeah will be added, and I think the question of the extra historic-only cards will won't be addressed until we're near Pioneer parity.

But they are adding so many non pioneer cards, and influential ones. Unless they are planning on adding Thalia and Knight of the Reliquary to pioneer at some point for instance a format with them in it will be different then a format without.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess the idea is it's a bridge so that partially released pioneer is more exciting than just standard + 3 sets?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they are looking to hold on to Historic after Pioneer launches, so their design idea is, "What if we could take Modern, delete MH, then ban 1500 cards?"

Then just take a couple of years to get there via card dumps.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
My new pet theory is that they are testing cards for Pioneer, both for "will this warp the meta?" and "can we get this to work correctly in Arena?", prove me wrong nerds.

kalvanoo posted:

Terravore?????

Terravore owns friend. Putting both that and Knight of the Reliquary in this release is Wizards begging me to sign up.

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

C-Euro posted:

My new pet theory is that they are testing cards for Pioneer, both for "will this warp the meta?" and "can we get this to work correctly in Arena?", prove me wrong nerds.

Terravore owns friend. Putting both that and Knight of the Reliquary in this release is Wizards begging me to sign up.

i know its just such a strange card for them to choose for this format. it should be in modern though

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm happy to see them get a little more aggressive with it. There was a lot of really neat stuff in the first batch, but by the end of the season the only card that was key in a T1 deck was BTE. The Soul Sisters pieces were sort of T1.5. Ornithopter, Matron and Visionary will all turn up in good decks eventually, I assume.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

C-Euro posted:

I've considered that they are planning a Pioneer Horizons but it seems hard to believe they they'd try it out like this. Just because Thalia is fine in Historic doesn't mean it wouldn't cause problems in Pioneer after all. I thought at first they were just going to ignore Historic and let it die but they are putting more work into then that.
The whole thing just seems so weird, I think the teams are just not communicating and the Arena people probably didn't know about Pioneer and made their own separate plans.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

C-Euro posted:

Apparently The Gitrog Monster is historic legal on mtga, which I had no idea about. Its febuary's brawl something or other so its brawl, historic brawl, and historic legal. Costs mythics to craft though.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Oceanbound posted:

Don't be mean to Vivien, Bolas superglued her fingers to her arrow as a prank.

Does she always need to be facing slightly right and surrounded by green ghost animals too though

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

C-Euro posted:

Getting warmer

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

kalvanoo posted:

i know its just such a strange card for them to choose for this format. it should be in modern though

It should be and I'm still sore that they literally did "land cards in graveyards matter" as a theme for MH1 and didn't loving include it. Such an easy lay-up.

neaden posted:

I've considered that they are planning a Pioneer Horizons but it seems hard to believe they they'd try it out like this. Just because Thalia is fine in Historic doesn't mean it wouldn't cause problems in Pioneer after all. I thought at first they were just going to ignore Historic and let it die but they are putting more work into then that.

Yeah, part of my theory involves playtesting for competitive balance for sure. But Pioneer seems fairly creature-dominated right now so maybe Thalia wouldn't be as impactful on the format?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Unsanctioned thing is apparently retailing at 50$? For 5 30 card decks and 10 lands that seems extremely... bad.

Like, who is this for at that pricepoint? Its a bad board game because it is only playable by 2 people with no avenue for expansion for the casual crowd, and 50$ is way too expensive for people that just want the lands.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 28, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Unsanctioned thing is apparently retailing at 50$? For 5 30 card decks and 10 lands that seems extremely... bad.

Like, who is this for at that pricepoint? Its a bad board game because it is only playable by 2 people with no avenue for expansion for the casual crowd, and 50$ is way too expensive for people that just want the lands.

If my LGS is buying the lands for a decent price, I could see buying it and getting a built-in rebate. I thought there were enough cards for four people to play at once, not two. That's dumb.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Adding random cards to historic and then selling them for a decent chunk of change is not "putting in work" in some nebulous trial and error testing thing, it's literally just producing another format that screws with people's valuation system. Tough to figure that one out.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Probably just expecting the lands to be worth $10 a pop. Un-set foil full art lands are worth a fair bit more than that.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
MF Turin cancelled due to coronavirus. Probably not going to be the last.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

Adding random cards to historic and then selling them for a decent chunk of change is not "putting in work" in some nebulous trial and error testing thing, it's literally just producing another format that screws with people's valuation system. Tough to figure that one out.

I'm theorizing that WotC is introducing cards they want on Arena for Cube Drafts and looking for a little extra monetization on them from Historic.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the simplest answer is actually probably that the arena team does not give a flying gently caress about unifying formats, their reviews/employment/bonuses/what-have-you depend on the success of arena and so selling digital versions of powerful cards boosts arena's numbers right now and (hopefully) their paychecks and they can deal with whatever the gently caress historic counts as later on in life

implementing and selling some of the high-powered cool cards from magic's history is a lot easier than implementing and selling relatively recent sets that will not have the same "oooooooooh" appeal to people - especially because going backwards they're quickly going to be in some of the worst sets

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

AngryBooch posted:

I'm theorizing that WotC is introducing cards they want on Arena for Cube Drafts and looking for a little extra monetization on them from Historic.
Yeah that's totally fair, though I don't know if I'd put money down on cube draft or any other new feature showing up any time soon.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

evilweasel posted:

the simplest answer is actually probably that the arena team does not give a flying gently caress about unifying formats, their reviews/employment/bonuses/what-have-you depend on the success of arena and so selling digital versions of powerful cards boosts arena's numbers right now and (hopefully) their paychecks and they can deal with whatever the gently caress historic counts as later on in life

implementing and selling some of the high-powered cool cards from magic's history is a lot easier than implementing and selling relatively recent sets that will not have the same "oooooooooh" appeal to people - especially because going backwards they're quickly going to be in some of the worst sets

Kaladesh and Amonkhet are already implemented from the beta (possibly besides some of the presentational stuff of more recent sets) and supposedly Shadows as well, but that raises another issue, how and when do you add whole sets/blocks to the game with standard releases every three months. There might be a suitable gap in the summer, and my suggestion would be to do limited events for them in a quiet patch.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BizarroAzrael posted:

Kaladesh and Amonkhet are already implemented from the beta (possibly besides some of the presentational stuff of more recent sets) and supposedly Shadows as well, but that raises another issue, how and when do you add whole sets/blocks to the game with standard releases every three months. There might be a suitable gap in the summer, and my suggestion would be to do limited events for them in a quiet patch.

yeah doing limited events for them and just adding to the store is the only way to go. but once you get through kaladesh and amonkhet, you start getting into some pretty bad sets like SOI, origins, and then the battle for zendikar block - and people will be asking where those are so you can't really just do kaladesh and amonkhet as one-offs and then peace out for a year and a half without pissing people off

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That and you need to give people a reason to spend on entrance fees. Limited crackheads like me will play old formats for the nostalgia, and others a couple times for the novelty. But if the cards from draft and prizes can't be used in any relevant event formats you're not going to sustain enough usage to fill out an entire set.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I don't know who the target audience for Un-sets in general is. I'm sure they're out there or WotC wouldn't be releasing this as their 4th un-product... unless MaRo is just super pushing his weird pet set with bad jokes and has more sway than I thought.

It's one of those sets that, to me, is best experienced by just reading the spoiler and then ignoring it to play with real magic sets. I get that the last one was designed for limited (I played a 4 person sealed for it since we couldn't even get enough interest for a draft at the store) and it wasn't bad... it just wasn't worth it. I'd rather go for stuff like Conspiracy, normal sets, or maybe the 'new' convention chaos draft thing that I can't remember the name of.

How many of you genuinely enjoy the Un-cards beyond seeing them spoiled?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Aranan posted:

Unhinged is possibly the least fun set in the history of Magic but I've done several Unstable drafts and enjoyed them

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
If Kaladesh and Amonkhet are already loaded why are they not available for Historic? Why are all the decisions they make so baffling?

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

Aranan posted:

i prefer them unspoiled

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

Unhinged is possibly the least fun set in the history of Magic but I've done several Unstable drafts and enjoyed them

Yes, Unstable draft was great. The main issue was not being able to convince people to do it because 100% of the cards (not counting basics) were useless after the draft rather than 95% of the cards like a normal set draft. And for me, I got the perfect augment deck the first time I drafted it so there was no way future drafts wouldn't just be disappointing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

If Kaladesh and Amonkhet are already loaded why are they not available for Historic? Why are all the decisions they make so baffling?

Arena left beta at the Dominaria rotation and besides the Historic add-on they've not done non-standard releases.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

The professor said you can get between 65-50% roughly of the buy in price if you chop it up and sell the lands but either way that's more work for less enjoyment than if I just made my own cube.

Add this onto the "listen, your grandma knows you like magical cards and she went out of her way to get you this so just act happy" pile of Wotc products.

It took me about 10 minutes to realize that you could have had 10-20 thirty card piles especially if you put some two card color combinations and that would let you make reasonable 3 color decks. Wasn't this the "parachute" product designed to save some sort of something mumble mumble gazpacho? I'm pretty sure this product makes as few ppl as possible happy

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Elyv posted:

I did an Unstable draft with a group of people who hadn't played Magic in years and they thought it was a blast. The very laid-back atmosphere made it easy for them to re-enter the game and have fun without needing to be great at card evaluation.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mike N Eich posted:

I believe a source was quoted as saying they are not actually implemented due to some code changes.

I've been told elsewhere this is very minor, though, and that implementing cards is intentionally not at all difficult so I dunno.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

evilweasel posted:

yeah doing limited events for them and just adding to the store is the only way to go. but once you get through kaladesh and amonkhet, you start getting into some pretty bad sets like SOI, origins, and then the battle for zendikar block - and people will be asking where those are so you can't really just do kaladesh and amonkhet as one-offs and then peace out for a year and a half without pissing people off

soi is fine, eldritch moon is fine. i thought those sets played pretty well even if the power level was turned down a lil bit relative to where it should be. origins is a garbage fire. bfz and ogw are, like, homelands-tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Heck I'm in for $29.99 even if Johannes Voss draws Thalia a little :downs:

The real hard part is trying to decide between which 5 Thalias to use in my Historic Soul Sister deck