Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

It looked bad but is it like really bad?

The main thing that surprised me was it costs $30. I wouldn't play D3 over this if D3 as free as well so I don't see how Wolcen can occupy any space in between these from a value proposition.

It randomly erases your characters and the solution is to keep restarting until they show up again. There was an exploit that let you get basically infinite gold, and their solution set everyone's gold to random levels whether they had cheated or not and also seems to have introduced a bug where some people can't gain gold by any means whatsoever. The game is littered with bugs involving monsters and/or players clipping out of maps, or getting stuck in cinematic transitions, making you start over from the last checkpoint, including having to play the final boss multiple times just to finish the story.

This is before you even get into the hilarious lack of balance and the fact that like half the skill tree nodes didn't even do anything at release. It's very bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iverron posted:

I bought Wolcen about a week before launch for ~$20 on humble and view that as a long shot NMS style investment that I hope pays off someday :shepicide:

I got it for free and I wanted a refund. I thought it was an unfair waste of money to the people who gifted it to me.

Like, there's something there, deep down, buried beneath all the bugs and the new bugs introduced by patches that are trying to fix other bugs. There's something there that could result in a genuinely fun game. But the sheer amount of issues with the game is staggering. And the fact that more issues seem to be added in real time is pretty wild.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
What is a wolcen anyway?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have no idea, this is the closest we have to an answer:

https://twitter.com/YahtzeeCroshaw/status/1232715750348996608?s=19

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Elentor posted:

I have no idea, this is the closest we have to an answer:

https://twitter.com/YahtzeeCroshaw/status/1232715750348996608?s=19

Charming.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I knew I was right to be pronouncing it voltsen!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

whypick1 posted:

There's 7 Ivory Watchstones. Fairly cheap too.

Also since you only have to socket them for challenge credit, not consume them, you can just ask a goon to borrow one for a minute.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

If you like ladies with long legs and wide stances get Wolcen

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Zero VGS posted:

It looked bad but is it like really bad?

The main thing that surprised me was it costs $30. I wouldn't play D3 over this if D3 as free as well so I don't see how Wolcen can occupy any space in between these from a value proposition.

Wolcen is in a bad place right now. It's a huge bummer. There's a lot of foundational problems with it. Expect to lose data if you jump in right now; skills are being altered; drop tables are being altered; loot suffers from the 'uncommon I found in lv 10" is better than anything since; there's progress breaking and game crashing bugs.

I think they're doing their best, but are clearly overwhelmed right now. It's gonna be an interesting case study on a few years.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

boo_radley posted:

loot suffers from the 'uncommon I found in lv 10" is better than anything since

This isn't always an issue as such. I hate the fact that nothing you find in D3 was going to be part of your final build. Ever. Or even a decent max level build. As compared to POE where the best item in the game is a low level belt! And even that obvious exception aside there are lower level stuff that'll get you to yellow maps at least. If not further.

That said, Wolcen doesn't look worth buying yet. I'll wait for a sale or some massive improvements, which ever comes first.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

gently caress a sale, why would you buy it at all in its current state? and nothing about the dev team makes me confident that massive improvements will come in the next 3 years.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Masonity posted:

This isn't always an issue as such. I hate the fact that nothing you find in D3 was going to be part of your final build. Ever. Or even a decent max level build. As compared to POE where the best item in the game is a low level belt! And even that obvious exception aside there are lower level stuff that'll get you to yellow maps at least. If not further.

That said, Wolcen doesn't look worth buying yet. I'll wait for a sale or some massive improvements, which ever comes first.

It's not just that a level 10 or whatever will be you best gear. The game had some sort of loot calculation that made it so loot at your level would entirely stop dropping until you progressed up the equivalent of 20 greater rift levels, something about getting to a new loot tier.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Awesome! posted:

gently caress a sale, why would you buy it at all in its current state? and nothing about the dev team makes me confident that massive improvements will come in the next 3 years.

If I can get it for £10-15 it's a decent enough "maybe it'll come good in time" investment.

I bought a cheapish founder pack thingy to get into Poe early and bounced off it due to the desynch issues and lack of content. Meant when I came back I had tabs!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Awesome! posted:

Yeah this is where I'm at on it. I really thought it could be neat and it had some ideas which were promising (class-free builds are ... at least interesting, could be good?). But it seems like even the ones who are sticking with it are almost doing it out of Stockholm Syndrome or just a weird sunk-cost fallacy thing. Or they just tolerate the extreme bugginess I suppose.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Wolcen game play is fun though, definitely better than D3, feeling wise at least IMO. I had way more fun in the short wolcen stint than I ever had in D3. Combat has some weight behind it and it definitely has potential. One thing to make combat even better is animation canceling and left click move only. Other than that, yeah the game is poo poo. Unbalanced, unfinished, 1/4 of the passives are broken or do something else they say they do, 3/4 of the active skills in the game dont scale well... Its a hot mess. Magic cannot be scaled right now other than "ailments" there are pets in the game that have no scaling at all, lol. End game consists of running the same 6 fixed maps over and over again... I honestly dont think the current team has the know how to fix this poo poo, I mean they had what 5-7 yrs dev time to fix it and didnt?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1233498459610607616?s=20

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Maybe on a smaller wheel and a build not using Wither that would be good, but 10 points is way too much to invest for something that will only be about 5% damage if you already have 15 Wither stacks.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The large magic nodes really seem pretty underwhelming for the required investment, but I suppose that's probably WAD as magic items.

On the other hand that small magic node for RF they showed with the main announcement seemed pretty worth while, so I guess it's stick to small clusters until you get some decent rares?

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Zero VGS posted:

Yikes, also that reminds me that my friend who streams for a living said he was offered bribe money from the dev to stream the beta of Last Epoch, at least that one is gonna be F2P but that one seems like it apes PoE even more.

Last Epoch is closer to PoE, but in my first impressions the game also seems willing to go off and do its own thing. If it's close to anything, I'd say it was most similar to Grim Dawn. Most of my interest in the game is not in how it plays, really, but from the lore theme of Literal Time Travel.

Wolcen hews a lot closer to Diablo 3 than Last Epoch to Path of Exile. Like Wolcen could be seen as a polished, slightly more advanced D3. If Diablo 3 is splashing around tides at the shore, Wolcen would be swimming around in chest-deep water before you get to the deep sea diving that is Path of Exile. All of this is assuming that Wolcen worked.

I think a lot of Wolcen's problems stem from being released too soon, even though it's been in early access for years. It feels like they slapped two-thirds of the game together in the last few weeks and pushed it out the door to a huge promotional blitz before they thoroughly tested it. People see "Now Out of Early Access", expect some level of playability in it, and find a game that Does Not Work, and now the game's a joke. And even while the game is horribly broken and some people can't progress or even log in to the game they're like "Have patience, we can only do one patch a week." Wolcen actually made me reinstall Diablo 3, like what the gently caress?

Wolcen is such a disappointment because people can see the inklings of a decent game beneath all the mess. This was actually a great time to do a big update of the game, with both the Diablo 3 season and Metamorph winding down and a bunch of people sitting around playing with their dicks. They should have just released this as Beta Phase Two instead of Version 1.0 "We Finished the Game, Guys!" Notice how Grim Dawn also went on a Steam sale this week and released a big update?

With this league's intense focus on these Cluster Jewels, I may just pick a class and say, "gently caress it, do it live." Work my way to a couple outer sockets and go with what the jewels tell me.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
They said there are over 200 new notables. We've seen I think, less than 10 at this stage

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

A lot of these hot takes seem to ignore the fact that you can get more notables and small passive effects by rolling these jewels. Like, yeah, that's not worth ten points. Add 5% ES to every small node and maybe it would be, and that's just one augment away.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I think the small nodes will be worthwhile. Assuming the jewel crafting works so that you get two prefixes and two suffixes, and the prefixes are "small nodes have ..." and the suffixes are "has some large node" then you can get the base small node benefit plus two more random things from crafting.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Peechka posted:

Wolcen game play is fun though, definitely better than D3, feeling wise at least IMO. I had way more fun in the short wolcen stint than I ever had in D3. Combat has some weight behind it and it definitely has potential. One thing to make combat even better is animation canceling and left click move only. Other than that, yeah the game is poo poo. Unbalanced, unfinished, 1/4 of the passives are broken or do something else they say they do, 3/4 of the active skills in the game dont scale well... Its a hot mess. Magic cannot be scaled right now other than "ailments" there are pets in the game that have no scaling at all, lol. End game consists of running the same 6 fixed maps over and over again... I honestly dont think the current team has the know how to fix this poo poo, I mean they had what 5-7 yrs dev time to fix it and didnt?

I had planned a post on Wolcen compared to PoE a while ago but I ended up giving up on it. But yeah, I would not count on some future miracle. If you have not played Wolcen, and you're here in this PoE thread considering whether or not investing in the game, this is the rough timeline of issues with the product. Assume that you'd actually love the game:

1) Game is released. Servers are completely unstable. I'll pack all the server instability in a single point, but basically at some point, after days of a really poor connection, apparently the DB went apeshit and they lost the files (???) and there was a backup attempt that took 72 hours, I believe?
2) There were multiple DB losses of every type you can imagine, including losing all your account-wide dyes and transmogs, even though the information of them was still on the item and you'd see them on the character selection. There were multiple instances of stash tab wiping, as well as stash tab pseudo-wiping that would show up again after a restart.
3) There's gravity and physics in the game. I don't know why. You can glitch fall off the map for example, and so on.
4) You can telefrag bosses if you stay exactly underneath their spawn points and this will softlock the game.
5) Speaking of softlocks, there are endless ways to softlock the campaign and force you to rollback your progress. There are bugs where the act bosses, which are notoriously difficult, just reset their HP bar to full.
6) The act bosses are notoriously difficult compared to the rest of the game. If you're playing a meta build you can face-tank them, but if you don't they might as well range from very hard to impossible. The boss of the first act's difficulty spikes like you're killing white mobs in PoE's act 1, then suddenly you have to kill Diablo 3 1.0 Inferno Diablo with 20k DPS. It has 3 phases and you can't portal out/have infinite attempts. It's no surprise that a reviewer would call quits here.
7) There is a gold dupe exploit that is the most embarrassing piece of inventory coding I've ever seen and makes Diablo 1 dupes look elaborate. Basically, whenever you stacked, say, two gems, the value doubled, but if you unstacked them one of the two items kept the same value pre-stack. So you could double the value of the stack indefinitely, all the way to overflowing and getting negatives.
8) There is an item dupe that consisted of you clicking on an item at your stash, holding it in the mouse, then right clicking (shortcut to retrieve the item). This copied the item to your inventory, but the item remained in your cursor. You could then put the item back in the stash, and drop the item in your inventory indefinitely since the reference to the original was in the stash and thus the item never got removed. You could then pick up the item from the ground - which also referenced the original (so yes, at this point there are three different types of items with the same memory pointer), so as you picked up the items on the ground you'd get 2, then 4, then 8 and so on.
9) Multiple animation issues and invisible bosses, which at this point is a really minor issue.
10) Multiple talents don't do anything, or did far more than they led you to believe. The entire tree was broken.
11) The graphic settings literally doesn't save or load some settings, period. You can change them in the config files and the game still won't load them.
12) The company said they can only apply one patch per week due to... I don't even remember it. They called this one patch a week routine a hotfix.
13) A CryEngine bug is introduced in the first patch that makes everything white. This has to do with them not knowing how to read or save settings, again.
14) They claim this:

quote:

We would like to inform you that we will fix the gold/item dupe issues later this week. Actions will also be taken against accounts who abused these issues or took advantage of it. We recommend you don't accept trading from other players passing a massive amount of golds to you to avoid sanctions.

I call bullshit and that there would be no real punishments, at best a currency reset. The "actions" and "sanctions" are literally randomizing the gold of all players. I'm not sure, but I think a bunch of legit players also got caught in the middle? A friend of mine to whom I donated a huge sum of gold ended up with 8 times more gold than he originally had in the first place as his punishment.
15) I still have my duped items.
16) Current reports that after their fixes and what not, gold has stopped dropping altogether. And no this isn't some sort of shadowban, as this seems to be globally affecting players regardless of whether they exploited or not.
17) A bunch of endgame content literally does not work. It shows up in the interface, but nothing happens if you try the feature.

Looking around the Store page for the game, this is in the first positive review that I saw:

quote:

EDIT: You absolutely should not purchase this game as of 2.19.2020. It's important to know that this game is not in a playable/enjoyable state at the moment.

Somewhere in that timeline I got called a "Karen sperg" for pointing out the game has bugs and I learned that Karen is an insult, much like I learned what Wolcen means in proto-Germanic.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 28, 2020

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

All the basic damage stuff they've shown from the jewels is pretty whatever so far, you'd have to be playing something pretty specific to actually be starved for places to get damage out of the regular tree with 7+ points.

The defensive stuff should be way more juicy, especially for parts of the tree that are genuinely starved for defense still.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Cinara posted:

Maybe on a smaller wheel and a build not using Wither that would be good, but 10 points is way too much to invest for something that will only be about 5% damage if you already have 15 Wither stacks.
Have GGG said if any notable can roll on any cluster jewel? Seems like it would be better to grab a good notable on a Small Cluster Jewel so it only costs 3 points to get to it instead of 10.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jean Eric Burn posted:

All the basic damage stuff they've shown from the jewels is pretty whatever so far, you'd have to be playing something pretty specific to actually be starved for places to get damage out of the regular tree with 7+ points.

The defensive stuff should be way more juicy, especially for parts of the tree that are genuinely starved for defense still.

And yet we already get twitter gems like

quote:

So this patch is called Path of Buffs to Everything technically

I'm excited for trying the new jewels and make a huge mess in my tree but I have the distinct feeling that some players still haven't heard of Lethal Pride.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

They probably won't, but it would be nice if the outer jewel sockets didn't all go through two really terrible small nodes.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Have GGG said if any notable can roll on any cluster jewel? Seems like it would be better to grab a good notable on a Small Cluster Jewel so it only costs 3 points to get to it instead of 10.

There are groupings so it isn't free form; presumably so you won't get the buff to lightning damage/shock notable with "small nodes grant fire damage" minors.

Also, the enchant portion up top cannot be rerolled.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

This we don't know, but it seems like it might be the case, one of the previewed ones is a medium jewel with both an extra socket and a notable. It's possible though that the modifiers to small nodes make certain builds want to load up on large clusters with buffed small nodes more than they care about any specific notable.

Qwertycoatl posted:

They probably won't, but it would be nice if the outer jewel sockets didn't all go through two really terrible small nodes.

Yea this is one of the biggest limiting factors to these jewels, you're wasting 3 points just for the opportunity to allocate one, more if your build doesn't path to an outer jewel socket already. Not that I think they will be bad, but you'll have to actually think about how they fit into your build.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Those things are going to have have a lot more to outweigh the for example sword nodes or life nodes or Crit nodes (for melee build)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Elentor posted:

Somewhere in that timeline I got called a "Karen sperg" for pointing out the game has bugs and I learned that Karen is an insult, much like I learned what Wolcen means in proto-Germanic.

Of course a Karen would pretend not to know what "Karen" means. :v:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

my moms name is karen so this meme has always been funny for me

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Cinara posted:

This we don't know, but it seems like it might be the case, one of the previewed ones is a medium jewel with both an extra socket and a notable. It's possible though that the modifiers to small nodes make certain builds want to load up on large clusters with buffed small nodes more than they care about any specific notable.

Yea this is one of the biggest limiting factors to these jewels, you're wasting 3 points just for the opportunity to allocate one, more if your build doesn't path to an outer jewel socket already. Not that I think they will be bad, but you'll have to actually think about how they fit into your build.

I think this is a good take - you've got a lot of uncertainty about how they implement it, but there's a lot of possibilities there both revolving around the notables, the keystones, and the small passives. And having the 3 point tax is a balancing component - it opens up how much power they can put on these things, and suggests that if they get it right it'll be better to pay the 3pt tax once and chain as many powerful jewels off it as you can. Any investment in the system rewards more investment in the system.

Elentor posted:

I'm excited for trying the new jewels and make a huge mess in my tree but I have the distinct feeling that some players still haven't heard of Lethal Pride.

Glancing Blows is amazing if you have recovery on block, but I never managed to get that much strength out of the small passive and notable changes on my guardian. The strength was nice, but not major. I guess I could have rerolled for notable mods.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Cinara posted:

That's part of the intrigue, right? That you might be able to roll the same notable, but on a smaller wheel,or the small nodes would be something different.

I wonder how many outer sockets will be in regular socket range & how historic jewels will affect them if possible...

E: can't wait to Vaal my skill tree and face to bloodshed

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 29, 2020

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

whypick1 posted:

Of course a Karen would pretend not to know what "Karen" means. :v:

Is that like how emo people would swear they're not emo

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

boo_radley posted:

I wonder how many outer sockets will be in regular socket range & how historic jewels will affect them if possible...

Radius jewels do not affect other jewel slots, and all of the nodes that extend from a cluster jewel essentially count as part of that jewel slot. So there's no interaction with Timeless jewels or any other radius jewel.

Bex posted:

It's worth clarifying that the size of the cluster jewel restricts the enchantments that it can have.

So that clears one thing up, some notables won't be able to exist on small or medium clusters. Means that for some of these to be worth it you're going to need a very strong rare jewel that makes all those points get you more than just one notable.

Cinara fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 29, 2020

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/1233531344082305025

:kimchi:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Elentor posted:

Is that like how emo people would swear they're not emo

Yes

Wanna pet that divination card

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Council of cats is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Strong contender for 2nd best div card.

Cinara posted:

Radius jewels do not affect other jewel slots, and all of the nodes that extend from a cluster jewel essentially count as part of that jewel slot. So there's no interaction with Timeless jewels or any other radius jewel
Aw, that's too bad. I was hoping for excessively complicated options.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 29, 2020