Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I was genuinely enjoying the Doom 3 based novels, at least as licensed shlock goes. I was sad the third one never came out. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
the doom novels are canon, confirmed by unified doomguy theory and wadverse theory. :colbert:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I like the idea of the Doom Slayer being quasi-DID/MPD as a result of somehow being a combination of Doomguys from multiple histories. The majority of them agree on enough details that he mostly has a coherent subjective psyche and a consistent view of the setting he finds himself in, what the Demons are, etc. But every so often a voice pops up in the back of his mind, screaming about something called the Freds.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

JerryLee posted:

I like the idea of the Doom Slayer being quasi-DID/MPD as a result of somehow being a combination of Doomguys from multiple histories. The majority of them agree on enough details that he mostly has a coherent subjective psyche and a consistent view of the setting he finds himself in, what the Demons are, etc. But every so often a voice pops up in the back of his mind, screaming about something called the Freds.

It also helps that whenever he wakes up all he has to do is run around and kill everything he sees forever. Keeps the disturbing thoughts at bay mostly.

e: I haven't actually played all of the various dooms over the years since 2. Did he ever run into anyone else that wasn't a demon at any point? Apart from some voice comms.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Nurge posted:

It also helps that whenever he wakes up all he has to do is run around and kill everything he sees forever. Keeps the disturbing thoughts at bay mostly.

e: I haven't actually played all of the various dooms over the years since 2. Did he ever run into anyone else that wasn't a demon at any point? Apart from some voice comms.

He does meet up with Samuel Hayden in Doom 2016 a couple of times.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TaurusOxford posted:

He does meet up with Samuel Hayden in Doom 2016 a couple of times.
Just the once. He welcomes you into his office. He's very pleasant.

But also meets the hero of AyyMD, Vega.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Spiderdrake posted:

Just the once. He welcomes you into his office. He's very pleasant.

But also meets the hero of AyyMD, Vega.

There's the second time at the end as well, where he gives his "i'm not the villain" speech and takes the crucible away from Slayer before he teleports him away.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Doom 3 probably has the most humans you interact with to varying degrees (Kelly, Campbell, Swann, McNeil, and Betruger) and they're all dead by the end anyway

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Civvie11 showed all the Doom 3 humans that survived in his video he shot them all but the game explicitly states they all died

His doom 2016 review is up on patreon, I am temptedddddd

TaurusOxford posted:

There's the second time at the end as well, where he gives his "i'm not the villain" speech and takes the crucible away from Slayer before he teleports him away.
Oh yeah, that bit.

Man for how minimal they were, the cutscenes in Doom 2016 were mostly really good. Pardoning the Olivia bits where an old crippled woman outruns you and outhacks Vega. Should... Probably have written those a little better, guys.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Nurge posted:

In Doom 3 you meet NPCs before hell breaks in and during the game a few times.

Edit: beaten.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Spiderdrake posted:

Man for how minimal they were, the cutscenes in Doom 2016 were mostly really good. Pardoning the Olivia bits where an old crippled woman outruns you and outhacks Vega. Should... Probably have written those a little better, guys.

Yeah, when you first see her with the Accumulator, you could've easily gone to the side, opened the door, and shot her dead, but NOPE, CUTSCENE & EXPOSITION TIME

Gave ol' Samuel a gauss to the energy shield for that blunder

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The one that actually annoys me is the stupid hacking thing at the end of Foundry where she's just calmly playing with the beep boops while you're a few inches away. The demons are later established to have been screaming at her DO NOT LET THE SLAYER GO FREE, and she has no reaction except mumbling some non-sequitor about how you couldn't have saved them anyway. The slayer is already established to be punchy, he should have been punching the poo poo out of the glass and then punched an imp through the glass.

With the accumulator I noticed after playing the level the third time she takes the elevator while you have to fight your way up so technically it makes a little sense.

edit: for those interested there's some sort of bethesda day and showing battle-mode gameplay on youtube

hugo martin is VERY excitable about his game he loves

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 28, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gangringo posted:

You're also forgetting Starship Troopers where Mormons start the big war in the first place.

The "Mormon Extremists" were a scapegoat by FNN to stoke xenophobia against religion and the arachnids. Get two birds stoned at once, as it were.

Which makes it funny in the third movie when the Christian cultists take over the Federation.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arcsquad12 posted:

in the third movie

The what now

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

What's the consensus on Brutal Doom and Project Brutality? I really like the detail and work that has gone into the guns themselves, slide kick animation, being able to blow off parts of imps and soldiers and other enemies.

Here's a vid on the Demon Corruption bar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXX74mWl1qo

Jiro fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 28, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mordja posted:

The what now

There's Starship Troopers, Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Aliens Knockoff, and Starship Troopers 3: The Mobile Infantry have Power Armor in this one.

Then there's the two CGI anime films directed by the guy who did Appleseed and the Resident Evil CGI movies

There's the unofficial Starship Troopers OVA from the 80s

And then there's Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles, the show that can't decide between being an action show and a kids show so it tries to do both with varying degrees of success.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arcsquad12 posted:

There's Starship Troopers, Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Aliens Knockoff, and Starship Troopers 3: The Mobile Infantry have Power Armor in this one.

Then there's the two CGI anime films directed by the guy who did Appleseed and the Resident Evil CGI movies

There's the unofficial Starship Troopers OVA from the 80s

And then there's Roughnecks: Starship Troopers Chronicles, the show that can't decide between being an action show and a kids show so it tries to do both with varying degrees of success.

I knew about the CG movies and saw some episodes of Roughneck Chronicles. Where I was as a kid, there was a Saturday morning block of that, the inexplicable and similar Heavy Gear one, and I think even the Battletech cartoon, though I might have seen that last one some time later.

Def didn't realize there were actual live action sequels tho.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jiro posted:

What's the consensus on Brutal Doom and Project Brutality? I really like the detail and work that has gone into the guns themselves, slide kick animation, being able to blow off parts of imps and soldiers and other enemies.

trash

project brutality is marginally better

but you are much better off just getting good at Doom without crutches or frills

go suck Hell Revealed down for a couple hours see how that does you for "hard" and "extreme"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh my god why did you remind me of Starship Troopers 2?!
I almost managed to completely erase it from my memory.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Arivia posted:

trash

project brutality is marginally better

but you are much better off just getting good at Doom without crutches or frills

go suck Hell Revealed down for a couple hours see how that does you for "hard" and "extreme"

Okay? Not sure why that elicited a hostile response. I just found it fun in being a pretty over the top Doom mod.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Doom and The Expanse, why is ~space mormons~ such a thing?!

Science fiction delights in the weird, and Mormons are really loving weird.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jiro posted:

Okay? Not sure why that elicited a hostile response. I just found it fun in being a pretty over the top Doom mod.

Brutal Doom has some bad connotations to it because it was for a time constantly asked to be compatible with mods by certain community members and it got draining. Also Sgt Mark IV was/is a not very nice person. Also there's stolen code and uncredited assets in the mod.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It also doesn't feature the mod that had super shotguns that fired super shotguns so it is therefore bad.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Jack Trades posted:

Oh my god why did you remind me of Starship Troopers 2?!
I almost managed to completely erase it from my memory.

Never forgive, never forget.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Wamdoodle posted:

Brutal Doom has some bad connotations to it because it was for a time constantly asked to be compatible with mods by certain community members and it got draining. Also Sgt Mark IV was/is a not very nice person. Also there's stolen code and uncredited assets in the mod.

Huh, I never knew that. Thank you for that. Is it the same with Project Brutality?

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Jiro posted:

Huh, I never knew that. Thank you for that. Is it the same with Project Brutality?

No, painkiller did most of his own poo poo for that mod.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Edit - nevermind this was pages ago

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

A.o.D. posted:

Science fiction delights in the weird, and Mormons are really loving weird.

Not as bad as the Jews in Chapterhouse Dune.
Nearly every other religion got thrown into a blender except somehow Judaism which is still continuing along as it has been for the last twenty millennia or so.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Afaik there are Mormons hanging around in Van Buren/New Vegas due to their real life prepping working in Fallout's future.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

David D. Davidson posted:

Nearly every other religion got thrown into a blender except somehow Judaism which is still continuing along as it has been for the last twenty millennia or so.
I'm pretty sure this is the book with the sex battle using powerful gently caress moves which control your mind, isn't it?

What I'm saying is I didn't even notice much of anything besides WHAT THE gently caress

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jiro posted:

Here's a vid on the Demon Corruption bar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXX74mWl1qo

Hell yea, Slayer Gates.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Shoehead posted:

Afaik there are Mormons hanging around in Van Buren/New Vegas due to their real life prepping working in Fallout's future.

From what I heard, back in the day when writing Fallout 1 someone on the dev team asked out loud "if there was one major religion in America that would totally survive the apocalypse, what would it be?" and some intern immediately answered "Mormonism" and everyone just shook their heads in agreement saying "yeah that sounds about right."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Aside from the likelihood fo a self-insert, mormonism does a ton of prepper stuff (eg the temples are massively over engineered as shelters, mormons are meant to stock up big piles of food, etc.) and the mormonism origin story is very ~us against the savage west~ (albeit in some insanely problematic ways, to put it lightly).

So yeah if you had to pick a group to still be around in recognizable fashion after some major societal upheaval, the mormons would be a strong candidate.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Mormons are the perfect combination of completely insane and also not likely to murder you or sue you for mocking them.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

David D. Davidson posted:

Tbf, adapting and surviving as a people is pretty on-brand.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Jiro posted:

holy poo poo, the cuts between eternal and 2016 really highlight how much better and colourful and faster eternal looks.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

K8.0 posted:

Mormons are the perfect combination of completely insane and also not likely to murder you or sue you for mocking them.

True facts: Mormons are extremely over represented in the Air Force and Strategic Air Command (Nuclear Weapons, retalitory strikes etc) in the US Armed forces.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Sandy Peterson is a Mormon.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lmao

https://twitter.com/viperwave/status/1233367262121193474

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001