Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

pigz posted:

https://twitter.com/BloombergTV/status/1233113560265478144?s=09

The concern is demand shock. If people won't go out because of the scary virus that is suddenly everywhere no one is going to be buying anything or going anywhere for a month or six weeks.

You can't rate cut (or tax cut imo) ur way out of demand shock u need something akin more to direct payments to consumers ln the form of vouchers or something to lure them back out as this thing winds down.

Local small business economies are going to get turbo hosed.

Im buying up bean futures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Asproigerosis posted:

On one hand it was not likely you'd ever prevent cases from happening in america. On the other hand we're just about to find out how terrible this is going to get because the entire preparations by the trump administration has consisted of tax cuts and interest rates. Looking forward to a katrina level of failed response, but on a national scale.

Totally agree, this thing broke containment in China way too much to be contained, but the US seems to be doing everything it can to make sure it keeps spreading unchecked

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

The Glumslinger posted:

CNN had a similar op-ed saying the same kind of things that more liquidity and lower interest rates can't fix a hosed up supply chain or huge portions of workers quarantining

Oh goody they are finally admitting that our economy is hosed due to lack of demand...

but it’s the virus’ fault and not 40 years of crippling neoliberal economics stagnating our wages.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Asproigerosis posted:

On one hand it was not likely you'd ever prevent cases from happening in america. On the other hand we're just about to find out how terrible this is going to get because the entire preparations by the trump administration has consisted of tax cuts and interest rates. Looking forward to a katrina level of failed response, but on a national scale.

yeah this is so hosed, Trump "Corona virus isn't real, buy things slaves!"

If it wasn't real and if it wasn't serious China wouldn't have torpedoed its own economy and put tens of millions of people on lock down you loving idiots.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

cash crab posted:

I just talked to a friend on the phone and his basic claim was “people also freaked out about H1N1 and SARS this is nothing” and like

lol

he’ll be sorry when I have all the beans

Gonna buy beans after work tomorrow. Hope there's still some beans left.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Centrist Committee posted:

I just got a cnn push that said the cdc is yet to confirm the Oregon test results and it just sucks that they’re not going to do a goddamn thing to help
so cnn are effectively saying that multiple healthboards no longer trust the cdc to confirm cases fast enough to adequately inform the public. i mean they're right but uhh

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

Totally agree, this thing broke containment in China way too much to be contained, but the US seems to be doing everything it can to make sure it keeps spreading unchecked

so you're saying the guy that has sex with horses might not be the ideal pick to deal with a virus that potentially only existed in animals?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

pigz posted:

https://twitter.com/BloombergTV/status/1233113560265478144?s=09

The concern is demand shock. If people won't go out because of the scary virus that is suddenly everywhere no one is going to be buying anything or going anywhere for a month or six weeks.

You can't rate cut (or tax cut imo) ur way out of demand shock u need something akin more to direct payments to consumers ln the form of vouchers or something to lure them back out as this thing winds down.

Local small business economies are going to get turbo hosed.

Demand shock has occured

Chinese economy has completely crashed because of this

https://twitter.com/TomOrlik/status/1233559208278319105?s=19

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKBN20N03R

quote:

China's factory activity posts record contraction as coronavirus bites
4 MIN READ

BEIJING (Reuters) - Factory activity in China contracted at the fastest pace on record in February, highlighting the damage from the coronavirus outbreak on the world’s second-largest economy.

China’s official Purchasing Managers’ Index (PMI) fell to a record low of 35.7 in February from 50.0 in January, the National Bureau of Statistics said on Saturday, well below the 50-point mark that separates monthly growth from contraction.

Analysts polled by Reuters expected the February PMI to come in at 46.0.

The sombre readings provide the first official snapshot of the state of the Chinese economy since the outbreak of the coronavirus epidemic which has killed almost 3,000 people in mainland China and infected about 80,000.

The results suggest deepening cracks in an economy already hit by the trade war as the coronavirus forces widespread transport curbs and tough public health measures which have paralyzed economic activity.

China’s economy is widely expected to suffer another sharp blow in the first quarter of this year, pressuring policymakers to unveil more stimulus measures.

Nomura expects first-quarter growth to be at 2.0% year-on-year while Capital Economics estimates China’s economy would contract outright in year-on-year terms this quarter, for the first time since at least the 1990s.

A sub-index of manufacturing production nosedived to 27.8 in February from January’s 51.3 while a reading of new orders plunged to 29.3, down from 51.4 a month earlier.

Factories continued to lose jobs at the fastest pace in years as labor conditions remained tight amid the travel restrictions.

China’s leaders have urged local governments, factories and workers to re-start operations as soon as possible in less affected regions. But the response has been slow and many migrant workers - including those in worst-hit Hubei province - have yet to return to work due to stringent quarantine rules and ongoing travel bans.

Official data showed that only about 30% of China’s small- and medium-sized companies had resumed production as of Wednesday. Some firms that have restarted work are reportedly running below normal capacity.

Small- and mid-size firms account for more than 80% of nationwide employment and over 60% of gross domestic product.

As the coronavirus spreads to more countries, some analysts have warned that the impact on global supply chains could risk dampening the subsequent recovery for Chinese manufacturers.

“Even if labor shortages in China start to ease, some factories may run into problems resuming normal production if outbreaks in other countries mean they have trouble sourcing intermediate goods,” Julian Evans-Pritchard, senior China economist at Capital Economics, said in a note on Friday.

Economists at Morgan Stanley have warned of a pronounced impact on first-quarter global growth, with rising risks of it extending into the second quarter this year.

China’s services sector activity also posted the deepest contraction on record, with official non-manufacturing PMI dropping to 29.6, from 54.1 in January, a separate NBS survey showed.

China’s economy has transitioned more towards services since the SARS coronavirus epidemic in 2002-2003, and the sector now accounts for about 60% of the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP).

Transportation, tourism, catering and entertainment sectors have been hard hit during the coronavirus outbreak as people avoid crowded areas.

A sub-index of construction activity, a key driver of growth, stood at 26.6, down from 59.7 in January.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Zotix posted:

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1233581853854064640?s=21

Washington State Dept of Health will hold a presser at 8pm PST.

WHERE THE HELL ARE MY ORGANIC LENTILS :chaostrump:

Also ordered some pearled barley because 1. my tax return got deposited before complete societal collapse, and 2. this recipe looks absolutely delicious: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/241228/rice-and-lentils-from-a-rice-cooker/

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

cash crab posted:

I just talked to a friend on the phone and his basic claim was “people also freaked out about H1N1 and SARS this is nothing” and like

lol

he’ll be sorry when I have all the beans

It's infuriating isn't it? We successfully contained SARS.
1. Governments expend huge effort to contain SARS, MERS, swine flu, bird flu, Ebola.

2. General public: "gee those diseases all fizzled out for some reason. Guess pandemics aren't a thing anymore."

3. Something comes along that while less deadly, is un-containable, so nobody takes it seriously.

4. poo poo hits the fan because our system is fragile because of JIT bullshit and a hollowed out leadership.

5. ???

6. profit.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Zotix posted:

FUCKKKKKKKK

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Zotix posted:

lol rip me

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

so cnn are effectively saying that multiple healthboards no longer trust the cdc to confirm cases fast enough to adequately inform the public. i mean they're right but uhh

It should be noted cdc only set up 6 states to do testing today and we haven't gotten word on how many are up. So curling on states with cases is probably six until Monday at earliest unless states start trying to circumvent the cdc.

Also is the president gonna declare a state of emergency? Or have they forgotten/that not a thing anymore maybe got rid of it to save money?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

im somehow imagining that the Hangseng is still UP UP UP ECONOMY HUMMING

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Zotix posted:

welp I'm dead

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

CDC is kinda garbo just listen to the WHO, hth

PS it's going to show up in every state and probably already has and the vast majority of cases are not and never will be reported, do your heart rate a favor and don't clench up every time they feed the media cycle with another "some dude has it in X state...and will recover completely but no one cares about that because it isn't exciting" story.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I am increasingly glad I stocked up on food before the panic really set in

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

GrimGypsy posted:

They are both garbo hth

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Delthalaz posted:

I’m sure american sanctions are loving them up quite badly too but didn’t the Iranians also announce a “no containment effort” policy anyway?

They've actually been heavily encouraging people to visit the most highly affected area.

its one of the holiest sites in shia islam and they are a theocracy but still lol

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
does anyone remember the game darkest (dankest) of days

like what if coronavirus was that virus, when will futureman save us from the icy scythe of death

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

They've actually been heavily encouraging people to visit the most highly affected area.

its one of the holiest sites in shia islam and they are a theocracy but still lol

God, they truly are our natural Ally in the region

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

who would win:

the world's sole super power idiot empire or

one little corona boi

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
corona deez nuts

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

KaptainKrunk posted:

who would win:

one little corona boi

just by simply ignoring it we've already won

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GrimGypsy posted:

PS it's going to show up in every state and probably already has and the vast majority of cases are not and never will be reported, do your heart rate a favor and don't clench up every time they feed the media cycle with another "some dude has it in X state...and will recover completely but no one cares about that because it isn't exciting" story.

no offense but i don't think "it's being overhyped" is the important issue. just the opposite, really, at least as far as the government's response goes

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Giga Gaia posted:

extremely ontario voice: good

https://twitter.com/theyutimes/status/1233597611506065411

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009
the oregon case started having symptoms 9 days ago but only got tested today because they hadn't traveled to an at risk area. yowza

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

kopasetic posted:

the oregon case started having symptoms 9 days ago but only got tested today because they hadn't traveled to an at risk area. yowza

yeah thats the government policy

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Doc Walrus posted:

I mean this is Fox News. They hire actors and grifters for interviews pretty often. This could just be an act.

no I linked the guy’s go fund me when he got back from wuhan because his poor wife was stuck over there and his poor baby hasn’t seen her since

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

does anyone remember the game darkest (dankest) of days

like what if coronavirus was that virus, when will futureman save us from the icy scythe of death

iirc that futureman then had to surrender to the even more futuremen that wanted to preserve the virus timeline?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

The Glumslinger posted:

Same.

However, I picked the Amazon 'No Rush' shipping on all my stuff, for that sweet sweet $1 digital credit. Which means I'll get it....eventually. I do have food in the meantime, but still am probably unduly nervous about supply routes being disrupted in the meantime.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

How long can coronavirus live on the surface of objects?

kopasetic
Sep 18, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah thats the government policy

yes it is dumb and bad. this person has been spewing viral particles while traveling freely for a week and half

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Raccooon posted:

How long can coronavirus live on the surface of objects?

9 days under the right circumstances.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

i am harry posted:

no I linked the guy’s go fund me when he got back from wuhan because his poor wife was stuck over there and his poor baby hasn’t seen her since

And at the rate her dad is infecting her with the virus she probably won't see her again

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
What kind of power do governors have during these situations? Like could an enterprising governor declare an emergency of some kind and put their own mass quarantines into place?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Zotix posted:

9 days under the right circumstances.

Lol I was wondering if I could leave any amazon packages outside till it was for sure safe but 9 days is a long time.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

KaptainKrunk posted:

who would win:

one little corona boi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Raccooon posted:

Lol I was wondering if I could leave any amazon packages outside to it was for sure safe but 9 days is a long time.

It is likely to last longer in the cold.