Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

gay picnic defence posted:

Lol no wonder people over there are making GBS threads themselves over this thing

That and people have very little trust in the government to handle it correctly or transparently.

Our president now thinks it's a hoax and all CDC communication has to pass through Mike Pence first.

Furthermore, it's clear their highest concern is making sure the magic stock market numbers go up, rather than preventing or mitigating an epidemic, so they could shy away from solutions out of fear of triggering more selling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

I’m not sure you could design a more perfect system for encouraging the spread of a pandemic

:smugdon:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Lmao watch me catch this fuckin thing here in Oregon because my connection to Tokyo through Seattle got diverted because of fog and I'm spending a night here.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

We know the virus is pretty bad for old people, what’s it like for fat diabetic rednecks with no insurance?

Diabetes is one of the conditions that the news was telling me was problematic with this poo poo. Also COPD. So fat, gelatinous, gout riddled southerners with "the sugars" getting this is going to be messy.

Entertaining for me, messy for them.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I got billed for blood tests to prove I didn't have leukemia after a test showed I had nearly 0 leukocytes. The reasoning given was that since I didn't have leukemia I didn't need the test and the first test that showed I did was my one covered blood test a year. :yayclod:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Diabetes is one of the conditions that the news was telling me was problematic with this poo poo. Also COPD. So fat, gelatinous, gout riddled southerners with "the sugars" getting this is going to be messy.

Entertaining for me, messy for them.

Gonna need clarification because my wife has actual (Type 1, not fatso) diabetes and is really worried about this

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Son of Rodney posted:

Talked with my friend who works at a childrens doctor. We made fun of all the people buying masks and disinfectant and who are freaking out about this. Maybe this will calm someone down: she, her doctor boss, his colleagues, the woman at the pharmacy, everyone she's talking to are not worried about this much and in fact are rolling their eyes hard at the way people are reacting. She reiterated that you should wash your hands, and stay indoors if you're sick.

The worst thing about this virus is the way people keep panicking, not the actual virus itself. Be smart, do what professionals advise and you'll be fine. Buying a bit of food and supplies is sensible, just don't buy 350 dollars worth of chef boyardee or whatever.

It turns out the brain space between "Ignore" and "Panic" is real tiny.

People who are stuck in Ignore won't bother to wash their hands, and if they get sick and are advised to self-quarantine they are likely to be all "nah. it's no big deal I got stuff to do" like that guy who broke quarantine and took several international fights to get back to the US because he had a gig coming up. We really don't want this to become a widespread reaction.

OTOH people stuck in Panic are saying we should sink the plague ships and shoot down planes trying to enter the country, which is obviously a very bad reaction as well.

That's humanity for you. :shrug:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Cool, traffic will be light on Monday.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I'm going to ignore the virus

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Let's hope the virus is courteous enough to ignore you back!

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

So basically, tonight it was announced that there were new cases in the US everywhere legendary cruise ship comedian Frank King set foot since breaking quarantine?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I wanted to go to Ranch 99 tomorrow to stock up on the important staples, like Thai hot peppers and jasmine rice and some stuff that was on Chinese Cooking Demystified, which is a channel you should all watch if you care about cooking at all. It took me a minute of argument with myself to say "Yo, you live next county over from Santa Clara County, doesn't matter if you go to Costco or Safeway or Ranch 99, you're still out in public."

Racism is bad, y'all.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Bronze Fonz posted:

So basically, tonight it was announced that there were new cases in the US everywhere legendary cruise ship comedian Frank King set foot since breaking quarantine?

Wait, that idiot managed to do that? I thought he was just doing a stunt

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

It’s also pretty funny to think you can do that without being vegetarian bc raising and slaughtering enough meat to get by is probably about a cool quarter acre even just for chickens. Half an acre is an insanely small amount of land even if you live on a perfect farming plot, which most blocks aren’t even in ag regions

Like I’m doing the star dew valley life and it’s working out ok but it’s sure as gently caress not easy and I’m nowhere near self sufficient

If you have a small plot you specifically don't want to be doing farming, but high intensity gardening. You get a lot more food with only a little more maintenance (you need to water almost every day, for example). Set up is more work/money than traditional low-yield row planting though.

note: the marigolds here aren't for decoration, they discourage aphids.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_intensive_gardening
https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/gardening/a20706747/square-foot-gardening/

This isn't going to get you 100% of your family's calories, but it can produce a lot more food than you'd expect for the space.

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

The Glumslinger posted:

Wait, that idiot managed to do that? I thought he was just doing a stunt

quote:

But King said at that point, he decided to leave and fly home to Oregon through Seattle before getting his swab test results back.
https://nypost.com/2020/02/19/comedian-fired-from-cruise-after-escaping-coronavirus-quarantine/

Bronze Fonz fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Feb 29, 2020

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Like I’m doing the star dew valley life and it’s working out ok but it’s sure as gently caress not easy and I’m nowhere near self sufficient
If I even tried to do the Stardew Valley life, I'd be kissing grains goodbye for good. Furthermore, in my "Mediterranean" climate I starve to death without irrigation. Basically, it's a century, at least, past where subsistence farming made sense. Growing your own fruit and veg on the farm where you also grow corn or run cattle or whatever, sure. But growing everything you need on your acre? Welcome to a severely limited diet, and also worrying about where you're going to get new Ball lids or how you're going to keep your freezer running, And one bad year, and there's no food coming in at all. The state I grew up in, the floods were so severe last year that nobody's corn ripened. I was shocked, driving from the airport to my home town, seeing all the empty fields.

I garden. I was friends with farmers. It's a hard life, and many people (me) aren't suited to it at all. Like, it's 100 degrees, but the corn needs weeded and the cows need milked and nobody cares that you have a splitting headache.

e: Very pretty garden, Facebook Aunt. I'm going to pay somebody to till all of my tiny front yard this year so I can put in beans and stuff. For whatever reason, my yard doesn't suit tomatoes but peppers go gangbusters.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 29, 2020

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Chinese Cooking Demystified, which is a channel you should all watch if you care about cooking at all.

I'll check it out. I've always been a little disoriented when it comes to Asian cooking.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Hazo posted:

Gonna need clarification because my wife has actual (Type 1, not fatso) diabetes and is really worried about this

Not sure man, but I'd assume both are susceptible. Type 1 and 2 both have their own problems. I only caught it in passing watching news on CBSN or Sky or maybe Al-Jazeera English. It was a report about why chinese men were more likely to develop symptoms and die compared to women, largely linked to smoking.

I'm the only one in my family not diabetic. Mother and one brother are type 1, other brother and father are type 2. But I'm a nonfilter (or I rip filters off 100s) cigarette smoker for 20+ years, and almost certainly have early warning signs flashing COPD/emphysema at me. So we're all susceptible!

We're all gonna die! We're all gonna die! We're all gonna die! Wooooo!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

I'll check it out. I've always been a little disoriented when it comes to Asian cooking.

CCD is like Julia Child, but for Chinese cooking. They explain not only what you're doing but why you do it. They also think really hard about subs for ingredients only found in China.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

We know the virus is pretty bad for old people, what’s it like for fat diabetic rednecks with no insurance?

they'll never be included in the stats

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Hazo posted:

Diabetes is bad for just about any infection. It's primarily a problem of impaired circulation. The "how bad?" will vary depending on how out of whack the person's blood sugars are. If the person's blood sugars are kept in pretty tight control it shouldn't matter as much.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Picnic Princess posted:

Lmao watch me catch this fuckin thing here in Oregon because my connection to Tokyo through Seattle got diverted because of fog and I'm spending a night here.

https://japantoday.com/category/politics/u.s.-mulls-new-restrictions-on-travelers-from-japan-s.-korea-media

Perhaps you should consider this a stroke of luck, and head home.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Argentum posted:

Why contain it? S'cool.

Exactly.

Old men, are the future.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Same

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Just ban all planes, trains and automobiles. Problem solves itself.

Also people, ban those.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Do people in the US actually need to pay to be tested for the virus? I knew the healthcare system over there was cooked but creating a situation where people have an incentive to not get tested and pretend they aren’t sick is next level retarded.

Uh, yeah? Healthcare isn’t a right and if you want to be tested you’ll need to pay. $3500 or so for some blood work and PCR testing actually sounds like a pretty good deal.

It’s usually way better to buy aquarium antibiotics from eBay than go to the doctor, if you have any sort of bacterial infection. Dosage information is readily available online.

Lmao where do you live that you think you are *entitled* to see a physician or receive medical care?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mourne posted:

Uh, yeah? Healthcare isn’t a right and if you want to be tested you’ll need to pay. $3500 or so for some blood work and PCR testing actually sounds like a pretty good deal.

It’s usually way better to buy aquarium antibiotics from eBay than go to the doctor, if you have any sort of bacterial infection. Dosage information is readily available online.

Lmao where do you live that you think you are *entitled* to see a physician or receive medical care?

source you’re quotes

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Fly Molo posted:

source you’re quotes

I don’t have quotes, just anecdotal evidence from living in America my whole life.

If you don’t have insurance and seek medical attention you’ll be expected to pay out of pocket for your medical expenses.

Hospitals and their providers need to make money. That’s the system I live in. I don’t agree with it, but it’s the truth.

A 3400$ medical bill is getting off very very easy if you are uninsured and need covid-19 testing.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Mourne posted:

A 3400$ medical bill is getting off very very easy if you are uninsured and need covid-19 testing.

My copay for getting six stitches in my hand in the ER was $1000, total bill to the insurance company was north of $17,000 which they probably negotiated down to $8,000 or so

I can't imagine actually getting sick. I'd probably rather die than pay that bill.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mourne posted:

I don’t have quotes, just anecdotal evidence from living in America my whole life.

If you don’t have insurance and seek medical attention you’ll be expected to pay out of pocket for your medical expenses.

Hospitals and their providers need to make money. That’s the system I live in. I don’t agree with it, but it’s the truth.

I'm 95% sure that you're just doing a bit, where you pretend to be a very stupid person, but in case you're for real: the ~$3000 medical bill came from their insurance provider and it wasn't even for covid-19 testing, he tested positive for flu so the covid-19 test was never run. Most of the expense came from the isolation procedures that the hospital used as a precaution, which the insurance company doesn't want to pay for

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Mourne posted:

in answer to your question

Mourne posted:

everywhere except America and countries where america destablised their governments between vietnam and now

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You're entitled to wait on an emergency department inpatient corridor floor for upwards of 72 hours before you get assssed just like everyone else.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Hadlock posted:

My copay for getting six stitches in my hand in the ER was $1000, total bill to the insurance company was north of $17,000 which they probably negotiated down to $8,000 or so

I can't imagine actually getting sick. I'd probably rather die than pay that bill.

My mother broke her ankle and required orthopedic surgery. Out of pocket was north of 10 grand and insurance billed was something like $180,000.

If Covid-19 shows up in America with any sort of force, lots of people are going to die.

Many more will go bankrupt. But I have this strange feeling this is a feature and not a bug.

Get it? Coronavirus? Bug? Broken healthcare system.

Eh gently caress it. I’m going to try to get some sleep.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Mourne posted:

Any first world country that isn't the USA. More specifically, Australia.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of times an American has spoken about their healthcare system like it's the most normal thing in the world, and not something used by every single other country as an example of what not to do.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Hadlock posted:

Mourne posted:

Mourne posted:

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

Any first world country that isn't the USA. More specifically, Australia.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of times an American has spoken about their healthcare system like it's the most normal thing in the world, and not something used by every single other country as an example of what not to do.

Look! If I have to order 11 blades and fish antibiotics for a home bathroom excision of a staph infection clearly this is the greatest healthcare in the world!

*sobs*

Please help us.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

DancingShade posted:

You're entitled to wait on an emergency department inpatient corridor floor for upwards of 72 hours before you get assssed just like everyone else.

In Australia, I came in to get tested for corvid-19 (was sick, had some of the symptoms, had travelled in China, turned out to be a bad cold) at the public hospital. They hustled me to a back room, in there for twenty minutes for swab testing for a grand total cost of... like $5 for the parking fees.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

5 bucks for parking at a hospital is insanely good for Australia tbh, last time my wife spent serious time at the rbh I developed an elaborate system of moving my car around during the day so I only had to pay for parking for a couple of hours a day but it was still 10 a day

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Feb 29, 2020

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I remember the last thing my grandma said to me ‘don’t pay for under cover hospital parking it’s a scam’ and she was right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

single payer healthcare but the parking is $1000/hour

should have had parking insurance