Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I feel dumb that I waited so long to do the urinalysis, but I delivered the goods this morning.

How much do your guys' vets charge for that?

I got dinged $188 (dollarydoos, mind, not actual hard currency like USD) for a poop test, one week of meds, and a large ish bag of probiotic kibble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

actionjackson posted:

I feel dumb that I waited so long to do the urinalysis, but I delivered the goods this morning.

How much do your guys' vets charge for that?
Test was £5 and I can’t remember how much the antibiotics were but, not a painful amount?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Hmm okay thanks. Anyone have numbers in the US? hah.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

UK here, sorry :)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

It's okay, thanks anyway. My place charged $60. They are kind of a boutique place so I figure they are ripping me off somewhat, but not sure how much. When I had the full panel (basically everything you can get that's not urinalysis) when she had gastroenteritis it was like 200.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Just got a call and it's not a UTI. So it's either incontinence of a neurological/cognitive issue. The options are to given her the drug mentioned earlier for incontinence, or do Selegiline which can be used for canine cognitive dysfunction. I'm not 100% sure which way to go yet.

edit: going to do the incontinence drug first, but will get some diapers as well.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 25, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
drat, I hope it all pans out well, for you and Abby :(

Meanwhile, the only thing Tazo has been doing lately, is digging up the dolomite sand in my courtyard, while I'm at work. :v: I'm gonna have to level it out again, and get the pavers+gravel down ASAP, so he doesn't keep doing it, haha

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 26, 2020

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Just got a call and it's not a UTI. So it's either incontinence of a neurological/cognitive issue. The options are to given her the drug mentioned earlier for incontinence, or do Selegiline which can be used for canine cognitive dysfunction. I'm not 100% sure which way to go yet.

edit: going to do the incontinence drug first, but will get some diapers as well.

Good luck! It's disappointing that it isn't something as easy as a UTI, but at least now you can work on addressing the underlying issue. Let's hope it's not cognitive dysfunction.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Paintbrush tails are the best tails!

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 5, 2022

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

paintbrush tails best tails

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

paintbrush tails best tails

This is objectively correct :3:

The dog and I went to the dog park today, and this was the first time I had him off leash. Even with a jacket and a harness on, he's very very very fast. Holy moly. He was also a very good boy (mostly, he did bully a smaller dog for a bit).

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 5, 2022

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Drewjitsu posted:

This is objectively correct :3:

Rush and I went to the dog park today, and this was the first time I had him off leash. Even with a jacket and a harness on, he's very very very fast. Holy moly. He was also a very good boy (mostly, he did bully a smaller dog for a bit).

Greyhounds in dog parks are the best when they get the zoomies and leave everybody in the dust :kimchi:

I wish Sparty did it more than once and then decided he was done. Last time I went he only got excited when I took a step towards the exit :shrug:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

Greyhounds in dog parks are the best when they get the zoomies and leave everybody in the dust :kimchi:

I wish Sparty did it more than once and then decided he was done. Last time I went he only got excited when I took a step towards the exit :shrug:

Ours walks up to every person and sees if they will pet him. Then he just lies down in the dirt.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

He got so tired at the park, that while I was briefly dealing with a text, he laid down on his side (he doesn't lay down on anything except for carpet or a bed, the princess), and started licking the snow. Thankfully he had his jacket on.

We wrapped it up pretty quick after that and he got water on the car ride home.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Greyhounds are the laziest dorks

I love them

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Performative laziness

I love it :3:

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Speaking of zoomies, Gello is fixed. Stitches are out and she can finally run around again.

I have no idea how to embed video,so please enjoy the link.
http://imgur.com/a/TvYUkmC

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I love how happy she is :kimchi:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Radiation Cow posted:

Speaking of zoomies, Gello is fixed. Stitches are out and she can finally run around again.

Aww, what a happy pup!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I have never before noticed the very unique tracks a vroomy greyhound leaves

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby isn't too pleased with the diapers :/ I'm just going to use them until I see if the incontinence meds help.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Radiation Cow posted:

Gello runs like my dog :kimchi: it's a combination of running and controlled flailing.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Gello runs like my dog :kimchi: it's a combination of running and controlled flailing.

It's like, flail, flail, serious running, flail brake, flail brake. Watching her try to slow down after a sprint is hilarious.

actionjackson posted:

Abby isn't too pleased with the diapers :/ I'm just going to use them until I see if the incontinence meds help.

Holding thumbs that they meds help. Give Abby some hugs from us.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Radiation Cow posted:

Holding thumbs that they meds help. Give Abby some hugs from us.

Thanks. Still more peeing but only two days on the Proin meds. I'm also unsure about the diapers because I feel like having the urine right on her skin could cause a rash or infection. Not sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_cognitive_dysfunction

quote:

In order to properly diagnose CCD in dogs, there is a list of symptoms that when observed together, show signs of the disease.[2]

Disorientation – loss of ability to navigate the house or remember where specific places are (i.e. furniture, corners of rooms)
Interaction changes – decreased interest in social interaction (i.e. petting, grooming, playing)
Sleep/wake cycle Changes – restlessness throughout the night, sleeping during the day
Housebreaking issues – defecating indoors, not signaling to go outside
Physical activity level – decreased interest in being outside, decreased responses to stimuli (e.g. sounds around home, people)

besides the fact that "sleeping through the day" describes all greyhounds, she really only has the housebreaking issue. She does not defecate inside, only urinate.

She is very excited and happy when I get home, when we go outside, when we go in the car, etc. So that's good of course. I'm hopeful that this is incontinence.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Did the vet eliminate kidney dysfunction?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

Did the vet eliminate kidney dysfunction?

Yes, her kidney function is normal (i.e. normal creatinine/sodium/potassium/etc.). She had all those labs done a few months ago when she had gastroenteritis.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

Thanks. Still more peeing but only two days on the Proin meds. I'm also unsure about the diapers because I feel like having the urine right on her skin could cause a rash or infection. Not sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canine_cognitive_dysfunction

besides the fact that "sleeping through the day" describes all greyhounds, she really only has the housebreaking issue. She does not defecate inside, only urinate.

She is very excited and happy when I get home, when we go outside, when we go in the car, etc. So that's good of course. I'm hopeful that this is incontinence.

We put Sparty on Proin because he had leaks in the early morning, though it was more like a small of substantial dribble than him just cutting loose

Hope it works for you and Abby!

Also yeah, urine next to skin will be irritating, so minimize contact as much as possible

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

you can get indoor pee trays with artificial grass, maybe if Abby knew she could use it she’d go there instead of just wherever?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I do have the pads but sometimes at night she just pees wherever. Are the diapers a bad idea?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

actionjackson posted:

I do have the pads but sometimes at night she just pees wherever. Are the diapers a bad idea?

No I think they're great, just don't let your self get lazy. Check frequently if there's irritation and only use them when you need to

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Also get baby barrier cream. It helps prevent nappy rash in babies, sure it would in dogs as well.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just curious, but do any of your greys sneeze, after being rubbed? Since I just realised that whenever I give Taz a good belly-rub, he'll always sneeze - normally on my hand/arm... Then if I give him another one straight after, he'll typically sneeze again.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

No, but that's adorable. :kimchi:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bonnie sneezes in sunlight but belly rub sneezes sound like the cutest thing ever :unsmith:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Josie doesn’t sneeze like that, but what she DOES do is furiously rub her face all over the corners of my sofa after I she gets to eat something particularly delicious. Aw yeah let’s get that tuna smell on it good!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i love all of this weird doggos

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
haha yeah, it IS kinda cute - except when he looks up at me at the last secondbefore sneezing anyway! :D THAT isn't the most desirable (nor hygienic) outcome, heh

And haha Josie's habit sounds both funny and cute! Does she rub against you/your legs, too? Now that I think about it, Taz has occasionally done that. The couch has gotten away unscathed though

Also, I just realised that I (rudely) failed to pay the dog tax, when I posed my question! I hope this photo of Taz (who had JUST gotten inside, after spending a couple of hours -get this- OUTDOORS) curling up on the couch will suffice, in absence of a mid-sneeze photo.

I think he's trying to pierce my soul with his eyes, to guilt me into never sending him outside again

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

I think he's trying to pierce my soul with his eyes, to guilt me into never sending him outside again

Nah, that's just him having an existential crisis. It will pass. He's a beautiful boy though.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Update: the Proin didn't help. She is still fully emptying her bladder indoors, both on the pad during the day and then into her diaper early in the morning. The vet said it's almost certainly cognitive dysfunction, so I'll be starting her on 30 mg Anipryl (Selegiline).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Update: the Proin didn't help. She is still fully emptying her bladder indoors, both on the pad during the day and then into her diaper early in the morning. The vet said it's almost certainly cognitive dysfunction, so I'll be starting her on 30 mg Anipryl (Selegiline).

Aw, sweetie. Has she gotten used to the diapers?