Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Did you do the obligatory vanilla test to make sure the game ran to begin with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Arkitektbmw posted:

Did you do the obligatory vanilla test to make sure the game ran to begin with?

Just did. Game crashes at couple still. The gently caress. Lemme search for bugs regarding the starting sequence.

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

E-Tank posted:

Just did. Game crashes at couple still. The gently caress. Lemme search for bugs regarding the starting sequence.

Turn off weapon debris if you haven't already.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Drive-Thru Salad Bar posted:

Turn off weapon debris if you haven't already.

I had the exact same issue, and this solved it. It is apparently an issue with newer Nvidia cards, because Bethesda hasn't updated Fallout's PhysX implementation to properly support the latest Nvidia cards because :effort:

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I had the exact same issue, and this solved it. It is apparently an issue with newer Nvidia cards, because Bethesda hasn't updated Fallout's PhysX implementation to properly support the latest Nvidia cards because :effort:

Why patch a game that has sold a lot when you can keep on dumping money into Fallout 76, where you can keep on trying to wring as much money out of your player base as possible

*puts $5 into the FO 76 jar*

Fake edit: So mod menu configuration isn't showing up in the settings menu. I have F4SE, and I don't know what else to do.

I also tried using the mod that replaces pipe guns with Defense Guns but for whatever reason when I activate it, pipe guns just become invisible. *sigh*

Edit edit: In retrospect I had installed it previously on this computer, and then swapped it to my new SSD. Everything seems to point to the new game, at least on NMM

Should I just nuke everything from orbit and try this poo poo again?

Also forgot to mention weapon debris fixed it.

E-Tank fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 9, 2020

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Monthly mod dump time, lets see what we got for 2020!

Weps!

Springfield Armory M1A
PL-14 'Lebedev' Automatic Pistol
HK G3 Family
Remington Model Eight
Left Boxing Glove
Plunger Party Weapon Pack
Reaper of Pantheon

Pew Pew Lasers Choose how your lazers Pew Pew, each color is a different effect

Cloths and armors!

Atom's Glory Threads
Desert Ranger Combat Armor
Stealth Suit - New Vegas
Dead Space RIG
Clothing Color Variety
Tactical Combat Suit

Featurez!

Wasteland Ballistics Small mod, big impact. Adds a wound mechanic to bullets based on the caliber, shape, mass and speed of their real life counterparts.

Realistic Pipboy Speaker All the tracks from Diamond City Radio are now with no bass and it can be heard more from left side so it has the feeling it comes from your left hand.

KCI - Kellogg's Cybernetic Implants implants that give you skills and bonuses and stuff straight from the corpse.

Idle Hands first person hand customization!

Burn The Body burn corpses in the game world to ash with fire weaponry.

AMMO UI HUD and my hud config

This is Trash - A Scrapping Alternative

Salvaged Radio Tower - In-game Configurable Radio

MIA - Missed In Action The idea behind MIA was to add all the items I felt that they belong and have a rightful place among other workshop craftables.

Danse Wear Your Helmet Danse will now put his helmet on for combat and take it off when combat is over.

Phase 4 An Institute Expansion Numerous new areas are added to the Institute in this mod filled with new and expansive lore. Many areas are interactive, and through the technology of the Institute you will be able to craft numerous cybernetic 'modules' that enhance gameplay and allow for a greater role-playing experience.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Moving onto FALLOUT 4!!! This is my tentative modlist, is there recommended mods that have popped up between the OP and now?

Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR)
Armorsmith Extended
Extended Dialogue Interface
Settlement Keyword Expanded
Longer Powerlines
Unoffical Fallout 4 Patch
Survival Options

Def_UI
HUDFramework
DEF UI Compatibility Patch
Survival Widget for UI
Backpacks of the Commonwealth
Improved Map with Viable Roads

OCDecorator
Vault 88 - More Vault Rooms
Immersive Scrap
Automaton Eyebot Companions
Automaton Securitron

Red Rockets Glare
Sanctuary Bridge Fix
Better Vendor Stalls
Brighter Settlement Lights

Sim Settlements Three in One
Sim Settlements IDEK Logsitics Station

Wastelander's Cookbook

Beantown Interiors Project
Easy to See Glowing Stuff
Perk Magazine Fix
Unique Uniques

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42805

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008
I've been tearing my hair trying to find a specific mod. It was a Russian(?) AK set, with about a half dozen different variants from the AKM all the way to more unusual designs like the AK 107, all the different magazines (bakelite, stamped metal, etc). It wasn't on the Nexus and might have been paywalled. It was far more comprehensive than the more publicly available versions, and I was wondering if anyone knew where to find the drat thing.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Reivax posted:

I've been tearing my hair trying to find a specific mod. It was a Russian(?) AK set, with about a half dozen different variants from the AKM all the way to more unusual designs like the AK 107, all the different magazines (bakelite, stamped metal, etc). It wasn't on the Nexus and might have been paywalled. It was far more comprehensive than the more publicly available versions, and I was wondering if anyone knew where to find the drat thing.

You probably know this but there are a few Russian language mod sites, maybe there? https://www.gunetwork.org/t15688-other-mod-sites here's a list of fallout/es sites, some in Russian. obvs there's also trashmods there as well.
Also the Russian Assault pack? https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/42283
or Modern Firearms, i think the present release is 2.60, they had to pull a bunch of anims because of the usual strife and drama, so they have delayed 2.62

Whups : Sorry: the latest good mod https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/34959

staberind fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 17, 2020

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008
Took a bit of digging, but found it! AKM Mod. There's a version 2.0 kicking around but couldn't find any way to access it. Few links for older versions still going, but a lot of the links seem to have been lost with r/modpiracy
Link to version 1.7 or 1.8: https://yadi.sk/d/RByeozrbukUzW

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are all the known Creation Club/Paid Mods designed to work together if needed, or are there known conflicts between any of them?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

chaosapiant posted:

Are all the known Creation Club/Paid Mods designed to work together if needed, or are there known conflicts between any of them?

A number of them don't work with themselves let alone eachother, but, yeah, there aren't any 'conflicts', per se, they're just kind of lovely - although one or two of the player homes may tickle your fancy, the Elianora ones are usually pretty nice to look at.

There's usually a "fix" mod you can get from either Bethesda's incorporated mod system or from Nexus - the junk shotgun may still need a mix for the three-barreled's sight, etc.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

chaosapiant posted:

I've got a lot by this point either picking up what I want or grabbing the monthly free offers over time and they all seem to work together fine

The early stuff is fairly lousy in terms of just injecting an item into drop lists or adding it to a cell but the more recent (past year or more) stuff usually has some involved quest chain or even new dungeon attached to it

Notable ones off the top of my head

Captain Cosmos: involved quest chain with a new TV studio interior cell to explore, unique set of power armor and new guns and regular armor

X-02: another long quest chain with its own radio station (enclave radio from fo3). Proto-type Fallout 3 advanced power armor with a bunch of modding for it

All of the house stuff are pretty nicely done with a quest chain to unlock them and a bunch of added furnishings once you do so. Noir Penthouse and Neon Flats both give you pretty large apartments that are kind of Blade Runner esque

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i decided to do a clean install from scratch and using MO2 ran into this issue

(ive moved AFT to the bottom i just didnt want to take another screenshot)

i geta $mod config when i try to bring MCM up and it doesn't register changes i make in GCM

i just really want all the needs stuff from survival mode without all the bullshit damage stuff going on anyone that can help?

edit: figured it out, after all these years forgot about setting ArchiveInvalidation

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 18, 2020

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010
When it comes to improving the Commando perk, does the general consensus favor the armor piercing version or the damage boost version?

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

When it comes to improving the Commando perk, does the general consensus favor the armor piercing version or the damage boost version?

If I had to pick one, it'd be the latter. Extra damage resistance is already supplied by Toughness, and I view Commando as a perk designed to increase damage done/potential upgrades applied when wielding automatic weapons.

I personally wouldn't use either, though. The unmodified combat system of FO4 isn't very compelling on its own. I use Create Your Own Difficulty Rebalance to reduce damage done by 50% and increase damage taken by 100%, along with VAFS to pretty thoroughly overhaul the combat. It's just too easy, especially once you get a Two Shot combat rifle chambered in .308 ala Oversret's Guardian, or an explosive gun like Spray n' Pray.

SleuthDiplomacy
Sep 25, 2010

Mooktastical posted:

If I had to pick one, it'd be the latter. Extra damage resistance is already supplied by Toughness, and I view Commando as a perk designed to increase damage done/potential upgrades applied when wielding automatic weapons.

I personally wouldn't use either, though. The unmodified combat system of FO4 isn't very compelling on its own. I use Create Your Own Difficulty Rebalance to reduce damage done by 50% and increase damage taken by 100%, along with VAFS to pretty thoroughly overhaul the combat. It's just too easy, especially once you get a Two Shot combat rifle chambered in .308 ala Oversret's Guardian, or an explosive gun like Spray n' Pray.

The first one doesn't increase the player's damage resistance, it gives Commando a chance to ignore enemy damage resistance as well as a boost to accuracy with automatics.

As far as combat goes, I've looked at a few VATS -> bullet time mods, but the ones I found seemed like kind of a kludge instead of real replacers. I also don't really mess around with mods that need hotkeys, since I play with a controller.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

SleuthDiplomacy posted:

The first one doesn't increase the player's damage resistance, it gives Commando a chance to ignore enemy damage resistance as well as a boost to accuracy with automatics.

As far as combat goes, I've looked at a few VATS -> bullet time mods, but the ones I found seemed like kind of a kludge instead of real replacers. I also don't really mess around with mods that need hotkeys, since I play with a controller.

Oh, I completely misread it, then. Sorry about that! In that case, I'd go with that, then.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

There's a built in bullet time it's called spawning 500 jet with the console commands.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
There's something touching about becoming a drug mule while ostensibly looking for your child.
even better if your child search happens to include nukaworld. because ofc what your character wants to do when not looking for their own flesh and blood is, uh, farming flesh and blood with raiders.
thx todd.

I fired up the game again because I feel like doing some detailed texture maps for random poo poo and already am over 100 esp's.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I spent two hours reinstalling the game, installing wabbajack, and setting up F4EE just to get CTDs every few minutes, usually when something shoots. I did the obligatory disabling of weapon debris through geforce experience, as I couldn't find the option anywhere else. Sucks, bc I was really itching for another playthrough.

They really oversold the "ease of use" of wabbajack, with all the extra downloads, directories, and other necessary tidbits that need put together before anything works.

Do people still install their .esps one by one like I did a couple years back?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Through Vortex, yes. I typically use one mod per major game system. I'm always surprised when I see people with 200+ mods because I definitely could not find 200 mods that I feel would be worth using in an actual playthrough of the game.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I guess I just figured since F4EE was being touted as a "mod pack" that everything would just work. I'll give Vortex a try and add mods systematically. Is that essentially the new Nexus Mod Loader?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Compared to many of the people that post here, I am simply a casual user. I mainly used Vortex because it allowed for VR support and the one I was using before didn't have that

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Well, It happened. It finally happened. Some mad bastard has done it. I said when they did it I would start winding down what I am doing right now as more or less most of the classic looking weaponry in one form or another is now a mod for this game and well from now on I will only post anything Retro Fallout or something that really is eye catching.

So here it is people, another clump of interesting F4 mods on Nexus!

Weapons!

Classic M72 Gauss Rifle IT'S BACK!
Mannlicher Md. 1905
EM 2 Rifle No.9 Mk1 Forgotten Cold War British Rifle
Steyr AUG A3 - Modular Assault Rifle
SPAS 12 Automatic Shotgun
Classic Explosives and Rocks
Mk 2 Grenade
Accuracy International AX50 Anti-Materiel Rifle

Weaponry Tweaks!

Random Weapon Stats Adds random stats to weapons. Similar to Borderlands. Stats effected: Damage, Value and Weight. For guns Fire rate and Range is also effected.
No Grenade Click Sound
Nina's Proper Pipe Guns Replacer

Armor and clothing!

Riot Armour New Vegas Riot Police armor without the duster and NCR clobber. Has an add on female characters too.
Enclave Remnant Officer's Uniform
Vault-Tec Security Armor A New Vegas style Sierra Madre Security Armor to replace the mediocre vanilla Vault Security Armors.
Gunner Engineer Outfit
Classic Enclave Advanced Power Armor
Gunslinger Outfits 18 cowboy themed outfits!
Scavenger Power Armor

Clothing and armor tweaks!

Vault Suit Utility Belt
Railroad Uniform Replacer
Rail Road Heavy Overhaul
Bandanas with Dusters
Stealth Suit - New Vegas - Voice Add-On

NPC tweaks!

Super Mutants on Steroids
Rad Birds

And uh a few other interesting links, not enough to separate into groups...

Children of Ug-Qualtoth Children of Ug-Qualtoth is a lore-friendly suspenseful lovecraftian quest mod with a sprawling dungeon, unique enemies, custom composed music and new weapons. Follow the trail of the Dunwich company and discover a disturbing past long forgotten.

Free Pip-Boy Skins

Alcohol Effects

WRAR - RadioActive Radio Transmitting from scenic Roxbury and covering the entire Boston Metro area, we're blasting the finest Swing and Big Band hits!

Flagon Real Estate Office - Player Home near Diamond City and Hangmans Alley

Regeneration Pod - Why sleep when you can pod

TTP's Money Bed

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 28, 2020

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Hi everyone,

After all these years I thought I'd finally try to 'finish' fallout 4

I intended to go look for a mod that makes the game feel more polished, complete and functional but I've been hit hard with choice lock, there's just too many drat options...

What is the go to overhaul mod these days? I'm not really in the market for visual improvements. Just something to improve the RPG/combat aspect.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'll always go to bat for Horizon but it's not for everybody

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I like War Never Changes

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Checked out both but apparently I can only play horizon if I dont own any of the DLC!

Horizon it is then, thanks!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The main issue I had with Horizon is that it started out really hard, there was some path to getting purified water that was kind of ridiculous. I remember I had to start over because I failed to get enough early on. And that very first Minuteman mission? Yeah you won't be doing that for a LONG while. I ended up making a ridiculously OP stealth character that was basically totally invisible during stealth and it kind of took away the challenge.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
My main issue with Horizon was that the way it decided to implement it's difficulty felt really gamey in a bad way.
Dirty Water giving you massive amount of RADS and almost certainly infecting you with deliberating disease, Purified Water being rarer than Power Armour and requiring massive, extremely expensive production and tech tree to be able to produce even one of it per day, a bullet costing more than a dozen high-tech guns being able to fire said bullet, etc...
It made the game have even less believable world than vanilla Fallout 4 and that's quite an achievement.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Seems about par for the course as far as 'realism' mods go from people who have no idea how easy or hard it is to actually perform the tasks they want to alter

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
To be fair the skillsets for modding and the skillsets for making your own ammunition and desalinating your own water are just a little bit different.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

To be fair the skillsets for modding and the skillsets for making your own ammunition and desalinating your own water are just a little bit different.

To be fair, you can google this basic poo poo so there isn't a good excuse for it

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Horizon has sanitized water as a middle tier between dirty water and purified water. Some other things are likely necessitated by balance considerations, like guns being readily available thanks to NPCs getting spawned out of thin air (though it isn't entirely far fetched that ammo is more valuable than guns in a post apocalypse).

All that being said, Horizon is a massive gameplay overhaul made by one particularly dedicated modder. If it's up your alley then great, but if you don't agree with the modder's balance vision you might as well go elsewhere because you aren't going to be able to decouple his changes much if at all.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Well, if the point of discussing it was to get the modder to change it, we wouldn't be doing it on the games section of comedy forums something awful where the mod maker does not look for feedback or discussion.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Magmarashi posted:

Well, if the point of discussing it was to get the modder to change it, we wouldn't be doing it on the games section of comedy forums something awful where the mod maker does not look for feedback or discussion.

Was thinking less getting the modder to change it and more trying to tweak it to your tastes by piling more mods on top of it.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

isndl posted:

Was thinking less getting the modder to change it and more trying to tweak it to your tastes by piling more mods on top of it.

If that can't fix it we're all screwed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Well the good news is that it's a lot more refined than early on, a lot easier to get started and get your settlements up and going if that's your jam. Settlement changes alone are really expansive and, to me, add a lot more interest and utility than vanilla. You'll even respawn at them when you die.