Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/DannyDutch/status/1222424453172297729?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

-Fish- posted:

It's looking more and more like it was just due to Disney worrying that Book of Henry's bad rep was going to hit the box office take than anything else. Based on the state of the leaked tie-in material, it's a safe assumption that Trevorrow's version of ep9 was a lot further along in production than has previously been indicated. If it was creative differences that probably would have popped up before the movie was 80% done.

Also, the thing is, we weren’t getting that movie regardless. Those drafts were largely pre-Carrie passing. So that movie probably exists in some alternate reality where she was still with us.

Her death just started the ball rolling that gave them cold feet.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/starwarstuff/status/1223436125181816833?s=20

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sad Lizard Dance around the courtyard.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

He's lizard dancing with his ancestors now :unsmith:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Boba Fett won again I guess

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Boba Fett let Bossk win at the end of the Bounty Hunter Wars trilogy. Even Bossk was confused.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
The Bossk story in Tales of the Bounty Hunters was funny because he got clowned in his own ship

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG-FR3_fmPU

Not exactly book material but I wanted to share this. Dude made a pretty neat mashup of Vode An and The Mandalorian.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The final season of TCW is out today. So that's what I'm doing this weekend. Hopefully it's good. The Lost Missions had one good arc, and one pretty dumb one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

The final season of TCW is out today. So that's what I'm doing this weekend. Hopefully it's good. The Lost Missions had one good arc, and one pretty dumb one.

The first episode of the final season is out today. We've got a 12-week weekly release schedule for it

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

The first episode of the final season is out today. We've got a 12-week weekly release schedule for it
Ohhhh...Nice in a way because I won't just burn through it in one go. But it's pretty transparent that they're doing it to keep people subscribed because they don't have enough Disney+ original content flowing yet.

Edit: It was a good episode and it looks really good too. They didn't halfass it. Conveniently Vizio finally got off their asses and fixed their TVs for Disney+.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 22, 2020

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Reminder, Project Luminous reveal scheduled for this evening. This is a publishing event, so look for book and comic reveals.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm hoping it's something interesting. I realized the other day that, other than the last issue of the Kylo Ren comic and the Art of TROS book next month, there's not really anything on the Star Wars horizon I'm super looking forward to. Well, The Mandalorian S2 but I feel like that's kind of its own thing.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And here's Random House with an early cover drop:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm guessing/hoping this takes place way in the past so they've got plenty of freedom to do whatever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, everything we've been hearing about the "High Republic" is that it's ~400 years prior to ANH. I doubt they'll be able to resist a Yoda cameo, but that's about the only character they can drop in there

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yoda as a spritely angsty teenager at 400 years old.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

jivjov posted:

Yeah, everything we've been hearing about the "High Republic" is that it's ~400 years prior to ANH. I doubt they'll be able to resist a Yoda cameo, but that's about the only character they can drop in there

Maz could pop up somewhere.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Details from people live tweeting (will update as more comes out):
  • Interconnected story across literary media.
  • The 5 authors + Story Group + Publishing Team worked together to develop the overall story,
  • Set 200 years before the PT.
  • The Jedi of the High Republic are akin to the “Jedi Knights of the Round Table”.
  • The main villains are called the Nihil (sounds like Nile) and are described as space Vikings.
  • They are able to use hyperspace in a dangerous way, but no more details.
  • Light of the Jedi by Charles Soule (shown a few posts up) is the first book, coming out August 25th. Will establish the era and kick off the adventure.
  • We’re going to see "The Great Disaster". Something terrible is going to happen at the opening of the novel.
  • A Test of Courage is a middle grade book by Justina Ireland. The main character is a sixteen year old Jedi Knight.
  • The High Republic comic from Marvel will be written by Cavan Scott. It will center on Starlight Station (mentioned in the recent comics).
  • Into the Dark by Claudia Gray. Since it’s from Lucasfilm Press, probably a young adult novel.
  • The High Republic Adventures comic from IDWPublishing is by Daniel Hose Older.
  • Everything announced is just phase one of the project, more licensees will be coming onboard, including Viz, Titan, DK and more.
  • More details will come out in the lead up to the release of the first book.

https://twitter.com/StarWarsExplain/status/1232154950999756801?s=20
https://twitter.com/StarWarsExplain/status/1232155570624286723?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCat5fXRyyU

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 25, 2020

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I wonder if this is where all the KOTOR rumors came from

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Sounds likely.

Into the Dark cover blurb:

“Padawan Reath Silas is being sent from the cosmopolitan galactic capital of Coruscant to the undeveloped frontier—and he couldn’t be less happy about it. He’d rather stay at the Jedi Temple, studying the archives. But when the ship he’s traveling on is knocked out of hyperspace in a galactic-wide disaster, Reath finds himself at the center of the action. The Jedi and their traveling companions find refuge on what appears to be an abandoned space station. But then strange things start happening, leading the Jedi to investigate the truth behind the mysterious station, a truth that could end in tragedy….”

https://books.disney.com/book/into-the-dark/

Maybe this big kick off event at the start of the first book is something which screws up hyperspace travel?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
You had me at Claudia Gray.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Seems cool, though 200 years feels really close to the movie era. Although I'm probably thrown off a bit by the Legends timeline where everything's been around for millennia and the last thousand years before the movies were relatively uneventful; new canon seems to have a much more compact timeline.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/edmundlee/status/1232412167703605248?s=19

I didn't know the Story Group had this much power.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

Seems cool, though 200 years feels really close to the movie era.
That might be the point. I'm sure we'll see Baby Chewie eventually, or maybe 3PO rolling off the production line before he gets scrapped on Tatooine.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember way back in 2005 the New Essential Chronology mentioned that it was in 200 BBY that the Jedi realized the dark side of the Force was growing in power. That always struck me as something that might have come from some planned story which never ended up happening (especially as I know there were a few other bits in NEC from stories planned at the time which never happened). I wonder if that is so, if that scrapped idea was the seed for what ended up as the High Republic project now.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
:420: republic

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

“Is it possible to learn how to wield this power?”

“Not from a Jedi” - story group

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey uh. My friend got into Star Wars via Mandy and I thought to check out the OP here for some recs and uh, the optics look extremely bad with only one women in the recced authors list, and she's got an attached screed about how she's the devil incarnate.

Could you uh, update it? Please?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Add balance by pointing out that Troy Denning is also Satan incarnate

(More seriously heard good things about Claudia Gray but that's new canon stuff I haven't read)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Claudia Gray is fine.

If you go with Karen Traviss stick to her first three Republic Commando books and nothing else, like the OP says.

I'm actually drawing a blank for other female writers in Star Wars that are anywhere close to contemporary.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 29, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I think the episode IX novelization is being written by a woman.

Nnedi Okorafor did a Star Wars short story a few years ago. Just forget Star Wars and read her original stuff.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Crystal Star was Vonda Macintyre but i didnt read it. Thats the only other old canon one I can think of, Disney has done better on that

E: Truce at Bakura was OK I guess?

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 29, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I don't mind where the novels are set, as long as they're Star Wars. Are there any older ladies who wrote good Star Wars fanfic?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

For the new canon, Claudia Grey is good and Delilah S Dawson is good, and they've written multiple books. Christie Golden wrote a couple and they're... Fine.

Ahsoka by E.K Johnson is fun but probably only works you've got a preexisting attachment to the character thanks through Clone Wars/Rebels. E.K Johnson also wrote Queen's Shadow, but I haven't read that yet so can't comment.

Resistance Reborn was written by Rebecca Roanhorse and is okay (but is probably not a great place to start because it's sort of a capstone to the whole thing before TROS).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

For the new canon, Claudia Grey is good and Delilah S Dawson is good, and they've written multiple books. Christie Golden wrote a couple and they're... Fine.

Ahsoka by E.K Johnson is fun but probably only works you've got a preexisting attachment to the character thanks through Clone Wars/Rebels. E.K Johnson also wrote Queen's Shadow, but I haven't read that yet so can't comment.

Resistance Reborn was written by Rebecca Roanhorse and is okay (but is probably not a great place to start because it's sort of a capstone to the whole thing before TROS).

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Also if your friend doesn't mind reading comics, Doctor Aphra is about a morally dubious space Indiana Jones who is a lady, though it's written by a dude (Kieron Gillen, who is very good)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

Crystal Star was Vonda Macintyre but i didnt read it. Thats the only other old canon one I can think of, Disney has done better on that

E: Truce at Bakura was OK I guess?

Besides Traviss, Kathy Tyers, and Vonda McIntyre, there was also Rebecca Moesta and Nancy Richardson (Young/Junior Jedi Knights), Barbara Hambly (Callista stuff), Christie Golden (Traviss replacement), and Elaine Cunningham (Dark Journey). Oh, the late-stage Princess Leia novel was done by a first-timer woman, too. Probably a few short story people also. Comics-wise there were a number of women, most prominently Jan Duursema. Who actually came back to do the special #108 issue of the original Marvel comic run last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
EK Johnston is a good author...but she's got some weird views about Star Wars. She went on a big twitter rant about the prequels glorifying abuse, and she praises Padmé for delivering a "break up speech" on Mustafar