Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
a boomer eradicating disease you say? Hmm.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe

Dick Bastardly posted:

is an apoloypitic disease epidemic all that bad for humanity though :thunk:

It would be wild if we're saved from global warming by a super plague.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

not one person has died under 10. only a few of those under 10 have even needed oxygen or ventilators. its your parents only you need to worry about, your nieces and nephews or whatever will outlive you as usual

That's good to know.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Holy poo poo- This article might literally be about my Mom- she arrived at Tenerife a week ago with a group of friends and we haven't talked since.

I think that's the same hotel where a couple of Belgians had to stay in quarantine and they're already back home after testing negative?
But yeah, call your mom.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
The main issue Americans have with healthcare is that while most agree the fees are bullshit they're horrified at how much the Federal government could make it worse. We've been conditioned to basically assume the opposite of whatever it says.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Sneak Lemming posted:

call your mom

mrfart posted:

That's good to know.

I think that's the same hotel where a couple of Belgians had to stay in quarantine and they're already back home after testing negative?
But yeah, call your mom.

FINE

Just heard from her, she's already back in Iceland and feeling fine.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dick Bastardly posted:

guess we dont need to make a vaccine after all

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
also bj and the tories are using the outbreak as an excuse to cut limits on work hours lmao

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Something something if the humanity is illegitimate then Mother Nature has a way of shutting it down.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The gruesome US healthcare system combined with a work culture utterly intolerant of sickness absence could have been tailor-made to ensure that the virus spreads as widely as possible.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Robo Reagan posted:

also bj and the tories are using the outbreak as an excuse to cut limits on work hours lmao

Honestly at this point, with another market crash and austerity still in place, it might be time to give up on the UK and move somewhere else.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Pistol_Pete posted:

The gruesome US healthcare system combined with a work culture utterly intolerant of sickness absence could have been tailor-made to ensure that the virus spreads as widely as possible.

Yup. My wife is fortunate that she can work from home, but if it gets bad I'm in healthcare so lol I will get it anyway.

My plan is to just not go out in public much outside of work if it gets bad. I've stocked up on a ton of beans, rice, and pantry stuff...which I normally do every 3 months anyway, home cook crew represent.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Tree Bucket posted:

Reading about american healthcare on these forums is just wild. Just incredible. They charge mothers a fee to hold their newborn babies. It's just bizarrely, hideously, cartoonishly evil.
I am not sure how such a system will handle corona. Probably by punching toddlers in the face or something, I don't know.

Did you know gullible isn’t even in American dictionaries.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Gearhead posted:

The main issue Americans have with healthcare is that while most agree the fees are bullshit they're horrified at how much the Federal government could make it worse. We've been conditioned to basically assume the opposite of whatever it says.

Yeah I think one of the things outsiders don't get is how little faith most Americans of all walks of life from left to center to right have in our government. Rugged individualism and rabid partisanship really did a number on our ability to trust each other and our leadership. Not that there haven't been numerous times where that trust was broken, to put it mildly, of course.

I tell people about how I stayed in a hospital in South Korea for nearly two weeks with a broken and infected ankle and no one seems to really believe me that it was under US$3k for a lengthy stay and surgeries, or that the quality of care was as good as in the US (my surgeon went to a hard to get into university in Seattle...). They cannot fathom a better system than the one we have.

The virus has confirmed cases of community spread in Washington state so it's a matter of time before we're all sick. I expect to catch it but most likely live. It's work shutting down as a precaution and missing paychecks that worries me more and if that's not an indictment on our culture I don't know what else would be.

frogge fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 29, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

frogge posted:

They cannot fathom a better system than the one we have.

Eh, idk, regardless of where someone lands on the political divide they're gonna complain about the healthcare system, just for opposite reasons.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

They charge you to hold your own baby?????

Bronze Fonz
Feb 14, 2019

MarcusSA posted:

They charge you to hold your own baby?????

https://www.vox.com/2016/10/4/13160624/medical-bills-birth-delivery

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Eh, that makes sense if you just had a c section. At least it makes more sense than charging like 100 dollars for an aspirin or whatever

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I was joking and I didn’t have to read the explanation to know the reason for the charge.

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

Dick Bastardly posted:

god is punishing baby boomers

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
no one make any jokes itt there's a rabid mod in the cspam one infecting everyone with dumb

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

no one make any jokes itt there's a rabid mod in the cspam one infecting everyone with dumb

I really don’t get the angle they are going for.

First it was like “it’s scary no one is sad about this itt”

Then it was like

“Y’all post a lot of racist poo poo”

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

MarcusSA posted:

I really don’t get the angle they are going for.

First it was like “it’s scary no one is sad about this itt”

Then it was like

“Y’all post a lot of racist poo poo”

then they threw this thread under the bus because it's apparently filled with bat soup jokes, I guess? even though it's not?

mods should have to pass a posting test they almost always have the dumbest loving takes on everything

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Uh well... gently caress

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1233813398086967296?s=21

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
:rip:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

If people are starting to drop dead from this we are well past the point of no return.

It’s gonna get real wild this week.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
Whats the difference between the two threads?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sneak Lemming posted:

Whats the difference between the two threads?

This one moves slower and is less about beans.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Some dudes' insurance sent him a bill for $3200 for his test that came back negative. In the US, of course.

Here ya go:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/health-care/article240476806.html

drat I don't even get to see my bills for at least six months.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

There Bias Two posted:

The good news is that children seem to be mostly unaffected by it. Your niece should be totally fine.

Grandparent killers is what we call them over here.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nothing has pissed my conservative inlaws off more lately than explaining how drat good healthcare in Japan is versus the states.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

VikingSkull posted:

That sounds like a splendid reason to make jokes. Ideally at CSpam's expense

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Barudak posted:

Nothing has pissed my conservative inlaws off more lately than explaining how drat good healthcare in Japan is versus the states.

and yet they left a plague boat in a harbor for weeks

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

VikingSkull posted:

and yet they left a plague boat in a harbor for weeks

japan is fairly ok at setting up and maintaining systems, they're not so good dealing with emergencies, it seems

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
oh god oh gently caress my sister lives in Seattle.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Uncle Lloyd posted:

oh god oh gently caress my sister lives in Seattle.

FWIW we're way past this being a contianable thing, and we're doing nothing to contain it, so it's going to be in every city in a couple of weeks

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If I lived in Seattle I'd be eating some Biscuit Bitch right now

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
death is certain

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Went out for a nice brunch today with the understanding it will be a while before I go again.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The Last BicMac Value Meal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

The good news is that children seem to be mostly unaffected by it. Your niece should be totally fine.

Our whole household had influenza b back in December and the 6 month old twins pretty much we unaffected outside of plugged noses. And it was only a couple days vs mom + me being completely floored for nearly a week.