Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Nyaa posted:

Our sect is so poor; the sect master has to fly with a tree stick. Let’s hope he will find some artist or crafter.

This made me laugh. Is there any downside to stick travel? If not I vote stick flying be maintained as standard sect policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Chronische posted:

Webnovel.com has some good ones too: Cultivation Chatroom, Lord of the Mysteries, and some others.

Didn't get into A Will Eternal, but liked I Shall Seal The Heavens. At least, until he left the planet - got a bit too rote at that point. Though stripping his ancestral holy ground bare of valuables, replacing it with things worth a tiny fraction of the cost, was good.

As far as this game goes, I grabbed it myself. Rough figuring everything out, even with what little guide exists and the discord of helpful people, but I've already poured hours into it. Just designing a nice sect is fun already, much less managing the feng shui of every room. Heat management too, via certain materials...

I'm hoping to learn a lot from this LP, since parts are intuitive enough, but other aspects are not so much.

A Will Eternal is far and away better than I Shall Seal The Heavens imo, I read ISSTH first and while I liked it, was willing to admit it got a bit samey. The world building was good at least. A Will Eternal is were Er Gen really gets to hit his stride as an author and writes a genuinely good novel, where while similar things happen they are entertaining regardless.

So says Lord Bai.

hopeandjoy posted:

To be a little less coy, the novel I’m primarily talking about is The Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation, or Ma Dao Zu Shi by MXTX.

Basic summary is as follows:

Wei Wuxian invented demonic cultivation, becoming the scourge of the cultivation world. He was finally killed in a siege, and may have been directly killed by his own former martial brother. After 13 years, he’s suddenly revived into the body of a disgraced cultivator. Only a few short days after that, he’s captured by his old frienemy Lan Wangji and taken back to Lan Wangji’s sect. What follows is a murder mystery that could take down the whole cultivation world, and also reveal the truth of what actually went down for Wei Wuxian.

Additionally, if you are interested in the summary but worries about the romance novel thing, the drama for censorship reasons removes the romance and replaces it with bromance. The drama is called The Untamed and is on Netflix. As in, US Netflix.

MXTX has other novels that I also think are good, but that one is considered her best. (Her first is an isekai about a guy who gets isekai’d into the body of a minor antagonist in a stallion xianxia nove and decides to change his fate, leading to the protag falling in love with him instead. The third is about an Immortal who, even though he’s the laughingstock of the Haavens, ascends for the third time, but has also caught the eye of one of the four main Demons for ~reasons~.)

They are all very, very much romances, but the characters and plots are enjoyable and her humor is fun.

You've honestly sold me on these, gonna have to take a look for them now. I needed another novel to binge so this will help a lot!

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

One of the most important thing for a sect is a big stone with our sect name on it. It makes a good impression for guests and visitors to pray upon while they read out the glorious name: Cult of Bèn

Thankfully, brown stone is more abundant than trees, and their Earth element goes well with Metal element furniture.

Day 5, 3:35 AM
They have arrived faster than expected. Much faster than Hats flying on a tree stick.

The sect stone and accompanying lamps are not build. How embarrassing.

Two seeker of immortality (blue dots) come from the east and west.

First is a tactful female who pray at the Orrery stone.

She is a fallen noble of a construction industry tycoon. After the passing of her father, she lives on as an unsuccessful thief who regularly get caught and beaten pitifully.

It’s alright, your harsh life of illegal activity shall end today, and you shall begin your legal harsh life with a new Dao name: kidz bop nightcore (Jon Joe)

As for the less tactful one who barge into Radio Free Kobold’s room and pray at an empty bed…

She was a farmgirl who later become a bailiff in charge of the prison jail. She feels fortunate to have this wonderful job that let her enjoys the feeling of striking the prisoner’s body with a stick. (Actual description)

Welcome! You will get plenty of chance to beat up people in the future! Your Dao name shall be, Cyflan

Did Hats told her something inaccurate about us to trick her into quitting her job? She brought a spear here with great enthusiasm.

Fascinating - A thief with background of nobility, and a bailiff of peasant household. Destiny surely have great plan for gathering these duo of intertwining life.

Thank the heaven that Cyflan is a skilled artisan. Kidz could save someone life with her medicine someday.

The Cult of Bèn now have equal distribution of gender with Hats being half and half!

Now that we have more people to shoulders the responsibilities, Slaan have more time to work on construction and build the sect stone plus two lamp in three hours! Things are going well!

Oh… we will fix that someday. It would be rude to tore it down right after Slaan build it.

She was so happy to build something not of wood.

Sorry, Slaan. We need you to build a kitchen with wooden wall since the oven come with some fire element, and that go well with the wood element. I know it sounds like a terrible design plan, but…

Yes, I can hear Happerry screaming at this very moment about his burned arm while working on the mason workshop, but they will heal! Think about the Feng Shui!

What do you mean I shouldn’t hazardously place the workshop and furnace so close to the tailor table and a few piles of wood? That’s why I build the well there! Why don’t you come up with a better design!?

Now, now. I understand it have been very stressful for the past 5 Days and 11 hours, so let’s make a group dining room with some entertainment!

Music, chess, bird viewing, and XO game! Your husband Arcanuse would love this place as the King of Games!

Now that we have a kitchen and a dining area, it would be logical to start a farm on those light green fertile soil! You can walk out and grab a wild snack if you need something fresh!

Imagine this for a moment: In a nice and breezy summer night, you finished your meal, but it’s not filling enough for you.

So you walk out of the dining room, and gaze upon the columns of edible… uhm, mushroom, lotus, pear, or gingko fruit!

As you stroll along the pathway, your sight fell upon the evergreen nature and elemental flowers glowing in the dark.

Now imagine being so captivated by the scenery and fall sleep within the highly qi concentrated herbal garden cultivated by the best Bèn master in the sect.

The best stuff that mortal would pay fortunes to get their hands on one of these!

Of course I know these herbs can only grow well in these Spirit Soil that make a tree glow blue!

We only have that one useless patch of soil like that there! But we can(?) jack up the qi on our garden with artificial means, so don’t worry about it!

What you need to worry is what and how we are going to grow our food. We need a big farm to sustains more future juniors or we can make master Hats go get more beef if you want to be disrespectful.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 29, 2020

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Farms are the true path to the Dao. Also ooooh, spirit herbs! A very important resource for any cultivation sect, and much fought over.

The two new recruits really show a lot of... something. As of yet we haven't seen anyone anywhere close to being an MC joining (aside from Radio Free Kobold, that heaven defying luck and a tragic backstory?? MC this man. ) But, hey, that's the woes of a sect with no foundation or backing.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Yeah, let's get some Farms up.
Can't reach Dao if we starve, after all.

And cool, a spear.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Beef is good... But can't rely on Hats for all the food. Farms it is!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Farms. I have to fuckin uhhh mooch achieve enlightenment

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

So thanks to this thread I bought the game and started playing. I have two questions for people who actually know what they're doing:

First, I have had five different outer disciples die to "heart palpitations" at extremely young ages (20-30 years old). Only two of those people had reduced lifespan traits. They had no other injuries and I didn't receive any warnings until they died. Anyone know what is causing this and what I can do to prevent it?

Second, how do I rename disciples once I'm out of the character creation screen? I'm having a hard time keeping track of who's who.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If there's one thing I've learned about cultivation, it's that it's all about having a giant miserable underclass slaving away for the elite few, so...let's start a revolution for fully automated dao communism and have Hat get that beef.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

SaffronKit posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if killing babies and sacrificing virgins is necessary for demonic cultivation as well.

... I'm only half joking. :negative:

And just like that, we're back in Dominions territory!

Yesterday, I woke up not even knowing that magical wuxia is a thing, and now I believe that this the best way a Rimworld ripoff van go.

In any case, I'd like to wander into your sect and to learn all about the cultivars* that you have. I'm a farmboy from faraway land by the name of Guy Low

*of all the weird dictionary involved, calling growing mystical inside yourself "cultivation" is still the funniest.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Zurai posted:

Second, how do I rename disciples once I'm out of the character creation screen? I'm having a hard time keeping track of who's who.
There's a pencil icon next to the character name at the bottom popup box. You can't do it for reincarnation character you made in char gen though.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Good. We will plan this with aesthetic in mind until we get more students. I feel comfortable getting four more students.

But that’s with a proper cold storage room to keep the food from spoiling. To build that, we need cold crystal.

Many things in the world are perishable. Some decay faster than other.

Fortunately, we have some leeway during Spring where the temperature hovers around freezing point. However, we are doom when summer comes.

Radio Free Kobald also seem to be doomed.

There are a few very rare things that quickly perish as soon as it harvested. This rare fruit is one of them, so everyone nearby should consume it as soon as it’s harvested or turn it into preservable form.

It may be cold during spring, but it’s a nice breeze.

Arcanuse and Slaan are content with their new life. Both of them become used to dull labor and find some joy in those tasks.

No more tears for wood. Just hunger and pun.

Soon, Slaan, we will be building everything out of those cheap and abundance brown rocks. They will combo well with metal furniture. Everyone will love their metal beds.

But bricks aren’t as easy to make than planks, so we make another mason workshop to double the output.

While halving Radio Free Kobold’s health.

These raw cold crystal are gradually unearthed. They are special ores that mixed with cold qi of water element.

Each crystal endlessly produces around -30 Celsius by its self, -20 Celsius on adjacent squares, and -50 Celsius next to another cold crystal. They are quite dangerous to mine in large quantity, but you can see how they are useful for refrigeration.

The same can be said for Fire Copper Ore. Arcanuse is standing on 80+ Celsius and need to get the hell out now!

The furnace is built just in time. It can refine these ore/crystal into easily processable ingot. Not everything need to be made in ingot form and same might be nicer in raw form.

Kidz Bop Nightcore keeps hearing someone calling her name throughout the day. Telling her to help with building the house, but it sounds like they gave up after a few pronunciations.

Oh gard, Arcanuse! Stop mining in dangerous places! Get the hell out!

I think we are good with stones for a while.

Day 7, 9:40 AM

Radio Free Kobold suddenly shout out incoherently about his art skill going up by grinding very hard. Everyone nods in pity at this emerging signs of dementia.

Hats finally feel like getting his lazy rear end up to woo the mortal again.

Just don’t tell them we teach Sunflower Refinement here and we will get male student.

We need to prepare. The entertainment/dining room is almost done, but it definitely need another table to get everyone together.

Another table like this will get us 11 dining seats. That’s a good number of students to cap for a while.

Alert! Alert! Radio Free Kobold is using a pickaxe to defend against a snake!

Millisecond shots of the mysterious elder doing his job.

Incoming meteor strike!

Use your own imagination to guess what damage the snake have taken.

How did you let a snake break your rib!?!?

It’s good that Kidz is here to patch things up. She has gotten so good at healing thanks to her regular injuries when she was a thief.

Somehow Slaan broke her calf bone right after this while building the fridge room. Kidz is really earning her keep here.

In the meantime, this normal snake in coma is somehow recovering ALL of its wounds.

There must be something special about this snake. Let’s try to tame it.

By repeatedly feeds its favorite food - I am guessing beef.

Happerry does his best to seduce a snake with his beef.

You need to be Inner to fly there.

Maybe you are thinking about the Coiling Serpent Stronghold nearby?

Either way, it would take a week or two to fly there.

The snake ate it happily. Maybe this could actually work!

Radio Free Kobold decided to forgive the snake and moves it closer to the beef. He makes sure the snake is facing his right ribs.

The snake needs some alone time to rest between being fed. Human are scary, but free food is good.

More scary humans have come.

Only one… female. Dammit Hats, maybe you should try kidnapping instead?

She’s a 14 years old orphan who begs and steals to survive. Welcome to Hat’s Orphanage! Your Dao name shall henceforth be titled after your lazy savior, AnonymousIdiot!

She can apprentice under Cyflan to become a good crafter.

Please, Hats. So far you have found two thief/begger and scammed(?) one kinky(?) baliff. You can do better… or is there a deeper meaning to all this? Something principled and righteous that will shapes the worldview of the Cult of Bèn?

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 1, 2020

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I only barely understand what's going on.

Lisan has been on the run since late childhood. From what she will not say. She has interests in farming, constructing, and necromancy!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
What can I say, I'm very egalitarian and care for the downtrodden.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

JcDent posted:

And just like that, we're back in Dominions territory!

Real talk, Dominions has nothing on xianxia novels. If Dominions was a xianxia novel, whenever a Pretender ascends to become the Pantokrator and heads to a higher plane all it would find is that it has reached the peak of his plane's existence... only to start over as a peasant at the lowest rung in another war of gods.

I wish I was joking.

Sindai posted:

If there's one thing I've learned about cultivation, it's that it's all about having a giant miserable underclass slaving away for the elite few

This is an understatement. I for one look forward to getting a chance to be a cog in the cultivation machine. :allears:

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Nyaa posted:

The same can be said for Fire Copper Ore. Arcanuse is standing on 80+ Celsius and need to get the hell out now!

Oh gard, Arcanuse! Stop mining in dangerous places! Get the hell out!

"These fire crystals are no match for my hearts burning desire for games; a desire no amount of cold crystals can quench!"
"Now excuse me while I go find some gloves"

...Cough. Right, ah. Are there any buildable floors, or will we be stuck with dirt for the foreseeable future?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

SaffronKit posted:

Real talk, Dominions has nothing on xianxia novels. If Dominions was a xianxia novel, whenever a Pretender ascends to become the Pantokrator and heads to a higher plane all it would find is that it has reached the peak of his plane's existence... only to start over as a peasant at the lowest rung in another war of gods.

To be fair, usually by the time the protagonists ascends they have enough cheats in place so that even if they nominally start off at the very bottom of the next ladder, in practice they can beat anyone of their level effortlessly and are on the fast track up the ladder rungs. This is why going through the entirety of the rest of the cosmos takes as much narrative time as it did to get to the ascension in the first place.

Although the time scales may have accelerated to the point where in-story it takes a ridiculous amount of time...

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Arcanuse posted:

...Cough. Right, ah. Are there any buildable floors, or will we be stuck with dirt for the foreseeable future?
There are, but I usually do that last when I finalized the houses and building location. We can certainly move it up the priority list.

They can also serves as bridge for shallow waters, and you can build stuff on it.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Jossar posted:

To be fair, usually by the time the protagonists ascends they have enough cheats in place so that even if they nominally start off at the very bottom of the next ladder, in practice they can beat anyone of their level effortlessly and are on the fast track up the ladder rungs. This is why going through the entirety of the rest of the cosmos takes as much narrative time as it did to get to the ascension in the first place.

Although the time scales may have accelerated to the point where in-story it takes a ridiculous amount of time...

Well sure, but those are MC powers. All those other hapless mooks have to come from somewhere is all I'm saying.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Can you run as an evil organization this? necromancy/blood magic/etc?

I would totally play as the evil bad guy if I could.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

AtomikKrab posted:

I would totally play as the evil bad guy if I could.

This is actually something I'm curious about too, because generally speaking as a rule this is very difficult in many ways to pull off in a cultivation setting. Unless you happen to be in the right areas of whatever world you're in. That leads to some other problems though...

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 1, 2020

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

AtomikKrab posted:

You can. We have Sect Morality for both Evil and Justice, but they stack for increasing our fame. Other sects in the world can be Just, evil, or mixed.

I imagine there would be more darker stuff in the next major updates, but we currently have a lot of dark secret arts like: Crystallizing victim's soul to upgrade items, forcefully read memory/steal skill from soul, drain someone's lifespan/attribute for exp, take over someone's body permanently, puppet a dead body, etc.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

Nyaa posted:

You can. We have Sect Morality for both Evil and Justice, but they stack for increasing our fame. Other sects in the world can be Just, evil, or mixed.

I imagine there would be more darker stuff in the next major updates, but we currently have a lot of dark secret arts like: Crystallizing victim's soul to upgrade items, forcefully read memory/steal skill from soul, drain someone's lifespan/attribute for exp, take over someone's body permanently, puppet a dead body, etc.

I have heard mention that Demonic cultivators are coming next. Gu would also be rad - turning people into incubators for horrible monster bugs or poisons. Certainly not a pleasant method of immortality, but hey, there really aren't any... except maybe divinity cultivation.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

It's kind of weird to me calling it demonic cultivation, if only because in many novels demons are typically non-humans of some variety. I'm not really sure a better word for the sort of thing we're talking about I believe ghostly cultivators is the closest I associate it with, or heretical cultivators. Then again, you get the occasional novel where Demonic cultivation applies very appropriately!

... I may be looking forward to when that demonic beast wakes up and ruins our sect.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

SaffronKit posted:

It's kind of weird to me calling it demonic cultivation, if only because in many novels demons are typically non-humans of some variety.
Oh, yeah, next update will have demon race, so it's certainly for them.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Nyaa posted:

Oh, yeah, next update will have demon race, so it's certainly for them.

Heck yeah! Can you play as the demon race at all?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Why is "Uninspired" a positive bonus? Is the Cult of Bèn terrible enough to consider actual inspiration a bad thing and tedious, repetitive grinding the right way to live?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

SaffronKit posted:

Heck yeah! Can you play as the demon race at all?
There is a race-template in the data file, but it currently only have Human race. So it's possible.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Why is "Uninspired" a positive bonus? Is the Cult of Bèn terrible enough to consider actual inspiration a bad thing and tedious, repetitive grinding the right way to live?
I am not sure if that is translation or varied personality/trait preference, but I am leaning towards the latter. He did get Obssesed with Work three times.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im not getting the joke with the Cult of Ben.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Near the end of this update it explains the myriad profound meanings of the name: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915034&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post502779250

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So we are the Cult of Dumb Shits?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So we are the Cult of Dumb Shits?
Yes.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
I, Shinarato, would like to become a outer disciple in the incredibly slight hope that I can maybe make talismans or pills later on. Mostly I expect to mine rocks though.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Now Im glad I signed up.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Honored master, I would beg your permission to learn the ways of Bèn. Please accept Chin Up as an honorable outer disciple so that I may Cultivate the truth of Dumb poo poo.

chin up everything sucks fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 2, 2020

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Please, accept Complications as your disciple that I might prove myself an exemplar of the sect's good name. I am, after all, nothing if not the dumbest of shits.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Kidz Bop Nightcore shall sweep the heavens!

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I, The Great Evil King, shall join this cult as a male.

If possible, make me a demon when the next update hits, I want to see how crazy that gets.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

Ugly (-1)
Sheesh, no kidding. That first image of Radio Free Kobold you posted actually made me recoil from the screen a little. This game has some of the most hideous random character portraits I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

So... What does Troubled Heart Mean?