Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Glagha posted:

That's the most hosed up thing I've ever heard

Well, of course a vatra like Eris-lo Kai would be into wizard edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So I was looking back through some older pages today, and I can't believe I didn't realize Jaggonoth is likely working directly with Metatron, who (probably) gave him the feathers that made him invincible: https://killsixbilliondemons.com/comic/wielder-of-names-4-76/

It begs the question of why he didn't know the thorn knights were working for Metatron in the meeting, but maybe neither one is that good at coordinating very well - the entire exchange could have been the feathers and the mission and left at that.

My understanding of that information is that Metatron gave the feathers to Jagganoth before he was convinced to support the Rising King by Michael. So Metatron isn't necessarily working multiple games, he was just particularly omnicidal before Michael gave him a cause to believe in and support.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

I've played and run a lot of D&D (mostly 3/3.5 and 5, played 4 several times and never cared for it) as well as a bunch of PbtA games. After the initial thrill of novelty and new lessons from PbtA, I find myself gravitating to older style stuff like Lamentations of the Flame Princess or Dungeon Crawl Classics. I think this is in part because the thing I like about running and playing RPGs is the emergent storytelling that comes from limited resources, difficult environments, and the accrual of entropy over the course of a plan. I often feel that PbtA games lose out on that in favor of abstracting most things to make sure that every player option is strictly a stated exchange of plot elements. It makes the games feel overly clinical and deconstructed, and as a DM, I frankly get terribly bored and overwhelmed with the way it handles enemies and conflict. I like rolling dice! I like thinking up monsters and traps and dungeons and settings and NPCs! I enjoy when players add to those things, but I feel like I could basically be a phone app when my entire job is to tick down timers and receive the product of rolls and be told who all NPCs and settings are and so on and so on

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I don’t personally run a lot of PBTA but, uh, that sounds a bit extreme compared to the PBTA games I have run and played. Most NPCs were still my creations, just reactive (or extremely major).

And also there are better systems where the GM is the primary world builder than D&D-derivatives. Many of them.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Kill 1d6 Billion Demons

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

YaketySass posted:

Kill 1d6 Billion Demons
:rolldice:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

rude tales of magic is pretty good so far no idea what that’s on but outside of that i have no particular interest in this conversation

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I bought the Lancer book so I coukd pour over the Lore. I'll never get to play another pnp again because of my schedule and.. geography but when I was a bit more flexible I played 4e with some Goons over skype. All of us had played MMOs so we all took to that style of combat really easily. But, and this runs counter to what Abbadon was tweeting, because we felt confident with the combat I feel like we were more comfortable role playing between combat encounters.

My pc was a mopey Teifling bard who hated his dad and I would update his journal in chat and basically blogged our campaign as it was going on. The group was super welcoming too because they had all gone for kind of quirky (but not fishmalk-like) characters and I was replacing the one requisite mega creepy dude that all pnp groups somehow end up in. I miss 4e.

4e 4ever

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SlimGoodbody posted:

I've played and run a lot of D&D (mostly 3/3.5 and 5, played 4 several times and never cared for it) as well as a bunch of PbtA games. After the initial thrill of novelty and new lessons from PbtA, I find myself gravitating to older style stuff like Lamentations of the Flame Princess or Dungeon Crawl Classics. I think this is in part because the thing I like about running and playing RPGs is the emergent storytelling that comes from limited resources, difficult environments, and the accrual of entropy over the course of a plan. I often feel that PbtA games lose out on that in favor of abstracting most things to make sure that every player option is strictly a stated exchange of plot elements. It makes the games feel overly clinical and deconstructed, and as a DM, I frankly get terribly bored and overwhelmed with the way it handles enemies and conflict. I like rolling dice! I like thinking up monsters and traps and dungeons and settings and NPCs! I enjoy when players add to those things, but I feel like I could basically be a phone app when my entire job is to tick down timers and receive the product of rolls and be told who all NPCs and settings are and so on and so on

I mean, in fairness, Baker's whole thing is very much not about objective conflicts e.g. is the party good enough at baking to solve the bread-puzzle. So if you like Tomb of Horror style trapathons, then yeah it's not going to scratch that particular itch. Even back to Kill Puppies For Satan it's less "can you do it at all" as much as "can you live with the costs and chaos that result from doing it." So if you don't like that, that's cool.

That said, I'm really surprised by "my entire job is to tick down timers and receive the product of rolls and be told who all NPCs and settings are and so on and so on" since ticking down timers isn't even necessary but forcing hard bargains on the players is. If you like crunchy games or objective challenges then keep doing what you're doing, but I'd have an easier time running DCC with low engagement than running AW with low engagement.

YaketySass posted:

Kill 1d6 Billion Demons

"Kill (1.7E9)d6 Demons" works out to an average of about 6 billion.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Shoehead posted:

I bought the Lancer book so I coukd pour over the Lore. I'll never get to play another pnp again because of my schedule and.. geography but when I was a bit more flexible I played 4e with some Goons over skype. All of us had played MMOs so we all took to that style of combat really easily. But, and this runs counter to what Abbadon was tweeting, because we felt confident with the combat I feel like we were more comfortable role playing between combat encounters.

My pc was a mopey Teifling bard who hated his dad and I would update his journal in chat and basically blogged our campaign as it was going on. The group was super welcoming too because they had all gone for kind of quirky (but not fishmalk-like) characters and I was replacing the one requisite mega creepy dude that all pnp groups somehow end up in. I miss 4e.

4e 4ever

My current PC is a Minotaur Fighter who was raised by a Dwarf Gladiator in Not-Rome before he got lost in a labyrinth and emerged in Sigil. The rest of the party are all pretty crazy.

Let's talk about our characters.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SlimGoodbody posted:

I don't know what you're doing or why you think pbta is stopping you from doing the things you want to do, honestly

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

It's not stopping me, I was just kinda discussing why I drifted away from it after falling hard into it for years. It was a spectacular palate cleanser after being ground into loving dust running only d20 poo poo for years, and really helped me conceive of roleplaying and game mastering in a much more analytical light. It got me thinking about incentives in a game, about NPCs, narrative beats, what rules should exist for, and so on.

But after years of PbtA stuff, I got that stale feeling I had at the end of 3.5, where every game was running off this one engine, and I felt I'd kinda run my course with it. This all may very well be the product of my own strengths and failings as a GM not meshing perfectly with what PbtA is putting out there. Anyway, I'm glad for the injection of talent and fresh ideas that PbtA brought to a very stagnant field.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

quote:

At first the saints were aghast, for they perceived very clearly that a being of tremendous evil was upon them, and wondered for a second if one of their prisoners had in fact escaped. But then they recognized Aesma, and a collective groan went up among them.

This is off topic but Aesma rules

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Shoehead posted:

Aesma is always on-topic because she'll beat us if we claim otherwise.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

SlimGoodbody posted:

But after years of PbtA stuff, I got that stale feeling I had at the end of 3.5, where every game was running off this one engine, and I felt I'd kinda run my course with it.

That's v fair, I'm like #1 AW fan and I rarely like doing two campaigns in a row with it. My group tends to alternate it with Chronicles of Darkness, but sometimes we'll throw in some curveballs like Prime Time Adventures.

MonsieurChoc posted:

My current PC is a Minotaur Fighter who was raised by a Dwarf Gladiator in Not-Rome before he got lost in a labyrinth and emerged in Sigil. The rest of the party are all pretty crazy.

I'm playing a memory-wiped spaceship, brainwashed by the Mormon church, that is frequently failing to balance "supporting the strategic interests of the Church of Latterer Day Saints (through reckless violence)" with its innate desire to "prevent and punish genocide (through reckless violence)."

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Shoehead posted:

"ayy lmao it's Aesma"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tulip posted:

I'm playing a memory-wiped spaceship, brainwashed by the Mormon church, that is frequently failing to balance "supporting the strategic interests of the Church of Latterer Day Saints (through reckless violence)" with its innate desire to "prevent and punish genocide (through reckless violence)."

That's a fun concept not gonna lie.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I still await the telling of Aesma Gets A Dog.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

MonsieurChoc posted:

This campaign is currently on hiatus, the GM is GMing a family game and I'm setting up a Lancer campaign, but it's using the Copperhead County setting, which is basically if the Blades in the Dark system was applied to a Justified/The Wire/Breaking Bad setting. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

My character is 26 year old grad student dropout Billy-John Bobby-Jim, and his class is Hazard. He's the creator of a designer drug known as Orange Tang, and his best friend is fellow PC Oran G. Tang, who is essentially a 7 foot tall, 7 foot wide Brick class combat monster. Both of them (and eventually the other three PCs) are members of Dexy's Midnight Irregulars* a queer biker gang set up out of one of the only gay bars in town, the Man Hole. The gang has the traits "media savvy," "empathetic," and "SJW".

In the course of the campaign we not only IED a rising, violent drug lord, but also dismantle a neo-confederate militia (and half the local sheriff's department) by framing them for the distribution of our own drug... AND BJBJ somehow talks Tennessee Bureau of Investigation agent Salvadore Noble into seeing him regularly and eventually going on a date with him to see Michelle Alexander (author of The New Jim Crow) speak at the local university, after Agent Noble came to talk to him about his possible connection to the explosive fiery death of a major drug lord. This makes BJBJ's rival (his high school chemistry teacher) happy because she thinks he's settling down and not getting into trouble.

BJBJ is the best. The GM described his relationship with Noble as the most doomed ship she'd seen since watching the Hannibal TV series.

* My friend and I couldn't agree on our gang name at the first session, he wanted the Teatime Irregulars and I wanted Dexy's Midnight Riders.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 1, 2020

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Broken Worlds game I ran up to the finale had:

42 Turning Wheel Brings Truth and Judgment, the grumpiest Angel Master who bemoaned the uselessness of the Concordance of Angels, and his drive is to find a new Law worth enforcing.
Lashvel Orinei, a Gilded Devil Refined who loves to chase power and play politics
Oswyn, Human Fated from the Dark Souls Universe. He was driven out of his home after his father was assassinated by his uncle, and seeks to reclaim his birthright.
Maya, a Servant Law who is a priestess of the Goddess of Parties and has far more guns than any being should rightfully have.

The group spent most of their time trying to sway Oswyn to their preferred philosophy and tooling around a part of Ashton, where they met and tried to kill many colorful characters. The campaign got all the way up to the finale before Oswyn's player had a bunch of medical problems and put the game on hiatus. The last thing we were at was Oswyn accepting a deal to serve Incubus in the upcoming war in exchange for the Middle Army's help invading his home and deposing his uncle, who at this point is a barely-held-together human stuffed full of the Black Flame of Chaos. Wheel managed to create a new philosophy and become the first Tree Angel, while Lashvel snuck in to see Himself (with the help of a war devil who had made several attempts to break Him out) and found her Ebon name. Maya also found the long-lost Party Cannon of her goddess and threw some great parties.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I finally got around to reading this yesterday and am now caught up.

rip me

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Did you make sure to read all the short stories and such underneath each comic? If not, go back and start over.

(well done, I hope you enjoyed the show)

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Just caught up

Yissun help me

I love this loving comic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

habeasdorkus posted:

Dexy's Midnight Irregulars
Please keep this name. Or even just "the Midnight Irregulars". Alternatively "Midnight Teatime".

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Angry Lobster posted:

Just caught up

Yissun help me

I love this loving comic.

It's Extremely Good.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
This is gonna be the last bit of self-promotion I'll do in this thread since this is no longer KSBD-adjacent, but I know some folks were interested in my next project so here it is: A Distant Sky, updates M-W-F. Thanks to everyone who has enjoyed reading my nonsense over the last six months!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

3 posted:

This is gonna be the last bit of self-promotion I'll do in this thread since this is no longer KSBD-adjacent, but I know some folks were interested in my next project so here it is: A Distant Sky, updates M-W-F. Thanks to everyone who has enjoyed reading my nonsense over the last six months!

I will be following this, thanks for letting us know! I don't know if you're planning your own thread for readers, otherwise there is always the general webcomic thread for people. Hope this goes well for you!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

3 posted:

Follow'd!

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

3 posted:

Immediately in my bookmarks.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

3 posted:

Favorited :woop:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
RSS reader updated!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

3 posted:

Had to do a triple take to make sure the scratchy faced faced person didnt actually have LOSS on their face. i may be suffering from terminal internet.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 3, 2020

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

3 posted:

Thank you for this

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1234695317716684800

Bring it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

3 posted:

I want to take a moment to compliment your paneling. It's an art that doesn't get enough credit. The way you've set her up as stuck between the two arguing sides, while also keeping it completely sequential and easy to read, is very well done.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/1234899769073586178

interesting new insight into royalty. this would seem to suggest Maya is more royal than the Demiurges.

I guess that isn't that surprising.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Mr. Lobe posted:

interesting new insight into royalty. this would seem to suggest Maya is more royal than the Demiurges.

Lots of thrones left to be toppled. :bernin:

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 3, 2020

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Maya is clearly more Royal than the demiurges because the Seven New Gods are some of the furthest characters from Royalty in the entire setting.

Royalty isn't power, but it can grant power.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Maya did what Solomon has been pretending he wants to do, and has become an expert noodle patron as a result

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mr. Lobe posted:

Huh, I thought Tom was in the UK. Good for him!

But yeah Maya is royal as hell. All you need to know about her is in the scene where she swiftly moves to protect those 2 little girls from Juggernaut Star. Or when she defended the noodle vendor. She learned from her master's lessons, made her choice, and now she fights to protect innocents without hesitation.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 3, 2020