Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Maximum Overdrive is the best adaptation by default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

The only Stephen King I've ever read is the Dark Tower series and yes the first four were so good you had to finish the series but man those last three were tough.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm gonna say it: I liked the dark tower movie
:colbert:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I liked the first book because it wasn't a generic Stephen King story, but then I read the second one and the main character went through a magical doorway to a generic Stephen King story so I stopped after the second book.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Randaconda posted:

Lol if you're not already packed to move to Las Vegas, I mean Boulder. Boulder.

Now we know Coronavirus works...any questions??

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Field Mousepad posted:

Genuine question; why?

As a fan of the (first four) books, the film was just... something other than what I was expecting. Roland was cool though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Herbotron posted:

Did you know that world-renowned writer Stephen King was once hit by a car? Just something to consider.

And that car was Caitlyn Jenner!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

:chloe:

I guess if you had never read the books and were a fan of really average and soulless action movies, then I could see enjoying it, but still...

It doesn’t even come close to doing the book(s) justice, they could have just filmed the first book nearly word for word and it would have been great, but they decided to just make it a typical Hollywood action flick that completely wastes the actors talents , and is as barebones as can be.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

RCarr posted:

:chloe:

I guess if you had never read the books and were a fan of really average and soulless action movies, then I could see enjoying it, but still...

It doesn’t even come close to doing the book(s) justice, they could have just filmed the first book nearly word for word and it would have been great, but they decided to just make it a typical Hollywood action flick that completely wastes the actors talents , and is as barebones as can be.

When it comes to King novels, the best way to adapt them is to make sure King has zero creative input because he is the literal definition of a hack. The one good thing I can say about him -- aside from his book On Writing, which is pretty good if you ignore the biographical bits -- is that he at least has the self-awareness to admit his novels are junk food. I have never seen the Dark Tower movie and never intend to -- even if I am totes gay for Idris Elba despite being a straight white dude -- and I can tell you that it has more literary integrity than the source material.

gently caress the Dark Tower.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

When it comes to King novels, the best way to adapt them is to make sure King has zero creative input because he is the literal definition of a hack. The one good thing I can say about him -- aside from his book On Writing, which is pretty good if you ignore the biographical bits -- is that he at least has the self-awareness to admit his novels are junk food. I have never seen the Dark Tower movie and never intend to -- even if I am totes gay for Idris Elba despite being a straight white dude -- and I can tell you that it has more literary integrity than the source material.

gently caress the Dark Tower.

No the film is literally worse than you’re imagining. It’s like something Disney would push out but less good.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yeah man I dunno, you could say that for a lot of King adaptations but DT specifically is not one I'd point to there. Also probably don't bother watching it to see if you're right or not.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Flyinglemur posted:

The one on Treehouse of Horror

This is the correct answer :colbert:

Maybe it's because I only watched the movies after years of hearing praises for it and seeing so many parodies and homages, but I think Kubrick's "Shining" is severely over-rated. Yeah there's a bunch of subtle creepy stuff going on, but it's all over-shadowed by Jack going from 0 to crazy in like two scenes, everybody making goofy faces, ghost moaning on the soundtrack, and other silly, not-scary stuff.

Then again, I watched all of 2001: A Space Odyssey in one sitting (and really enjoyed it!), even though according to my friends, this feat isn't actually possible, so maybe I just have weird taste in movies.

edit: Bleh, sorry for continuing the derail, got this mixed up with the Irrational Irritating Movie Moments thread

Eh! Frank has a new favorite as of 01:29 on Mar 1, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Eh! Frank posted:

Maybe it's because I only watched the movies after years of hearing praises for it and seeing so many parodies and homages, but I think Kubrick's "Shining" is severely over-rated. Yeah there's a bunch of subtle creepy stuff going on, but it's all over-shadowed by Jack going from 0 to crazy in like two scenes, everybody making goofy faces, ghost moaning on the soundtrack, and other silly, not-scary stuff.

Then again, I watched all of 2001: A Space Odyssey in one sitting (and really enjoyed it!), even though according to my friends, this feat isn't actually possible, so maybe I just have weird taste in movies.

I'd say Kubrick's The Shining is more a psychological thriller than supernatural horror, but that is my own admittedly biased take on it.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eh! Frank posted:

edit: Bleh, sorry for continuing the derail, got this mixed up with the Irrational Irritating Movie Moments thread

That's actually a reason why King hates Kubrick's version because Jack playing Jack it's obvious he's going to be nuttier than a squirrel poo poo after a binge in a Planters factory from the start, but loves the network remake with the younger brother from Wings.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.
Shut the gently caress up about Stephen King

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eh! Frank posted:

You would love/hate Room 237 which is a smooth presentation of 5 hardcore fan-theories back to back on The Shining. They start reasonable but start getting bugshit, and before the halfway mark you realize the movie isn't about The Shining but a commentary on film analysis and obsessive interpretation.

Room 237 is not a condemnation of analysis or alternate reading--because despite the SMG wannabes of the world and the RLM/CinemaSins backwash clogging up YouTube, film analysis is "a thing" which does "a good"--but it is a frank reminder to every film school washout that "yeah sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" and "Kubrick was a genius but gently caress no one plans that far ahead."

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Brute Hole Force posted:

That's actually a reason why King hates Kubrick's version because Jack playing Jack it's obvious he's going to be nuttier than a squirrel poo poo after a binge in a Planters factory from the start, but loves the network remake with the younger brother from Wings.

king guest appeared in the ireland sons of anarchy season he doesnt get an opinion

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I have a friend that grew up with a pet goat. The family had to eat the goat after it got loose one day and tried to have its way with a pregnant lady.

When talking to my mum I learned there was just this week a Coronation Street storyline where a woman's husband didn't give her enough money to buy meat, then because of that, killed her favourite chicken, fed it to her, and only told her halfway through eating it.

I was pretty surprised at just how loving dark that show is :stonklol:

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 07:18 on Mar 1, 2020

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I enjoyed room 237 more than I liked the actual movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Brute Hole Force posted:

Jack starts obviously crazy because despite Stephen King insisting it's normal to get drunk and break your kid's arm or beat a teenager nearly to death for vandalizing your car Jack is actually crazy way before he gets to the hotel in the novel. Jack is loving bonkers and violent and his wife and son are seemingly barely holding it together but King's writing it like "yeah, this guy's flawed but ultimately good-hearted, it would take a seriously evil place to make him lose it!"

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Jack starts obviously crazy because despite Stephen King insisting it's normal to get drunk and break your kid's arm or beat a teenager nearly to death for vandalizing your car Jack is actually crazy way before he gets to the hotel in the novel. Jack is loving bonkers and violent and his wife and son are seemingly barely holding it together but King's writing it like "yeah, this guy's flawed but ultimately good-hearted, it would take a seriously evil place to make him lose it!"

Stephen King wrote Jack as himself, and expected us to sympathize with him. No, you beer-soaked coked-up abusive motherfucker, the dude who broke his child's arm and terrorized his wife is a terrible person. Like, cool, King got clean later, but that doesn't make up for the addict apologia he tried to feed us.

FUNNY PICTURES!

https://i.imgur.com/lPB5TBc.mp4

Screaming Idiot has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Mar 1, 2020

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

zoux posted:

It's all very

you.missed out the best reply

https://twitter.com/userdie/status/1232015721535868928?s=19

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly, on that level it's just a sad story about a guy struggling with addiction and almost making it but not quite, completely apart from anything supernatural going on. It's absolutely painting it as a tragedy though, something that really is normal but not in a good way at all.

e: The Shining, not the guy trying to pick up a pig

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

https://youtu.be/rQW2klU1cGI

https://youtu.be/Zjxl6qiF0f4 (captions on)

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
gently caress STEPHEN KING

https://i.imgur.com/ACflIVX.mp4

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Another thing about The Shining is the Wendy was blond in the book and dark haired in the movie. I mean come on guys it’s called research

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Dreamcatcher was also bad

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

The picture is lost to phones of Yore, but my mom's cat did exactly this same thing when I installed her new toilet for her.

It's very cute.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

beanieson posted:

Dreamcatcher was also bad

DAMMIT STEPHEN KING QUIT USING DISABLED PEOPLE AS A CRUTCH YOU IGNORANT loving HACK

https://i.imgur.com/q4s07yK.mp4

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Screaming Idiot posted:

Stephen King wrote Jack as himself, and expected us to sympathize with him. No, you beer-soaked coked-up abusive motherfucker, the dude who broke his child's arm and terrorized his wife is a terrible person. Like, cool, King got clean later, but that doesn't make up for the addict apologia he tried to feed us.

Yeah, that's why Kubrick harassed King during the production on The Shining, calling him at 2am to ask if there's a god, and when King said something like "yeah, I think there's probably something out there" Kubrick just cut in with "no, there's no god" and hung up. He knew.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, that's why Kubrick harassed King during the production on The Shining, calling him at 2am to ask if there's a god, and when King said something like "yeah, I think there's probably something out there" Kubrick just cut in with "no, there's no god" and hung up. He knew.

I so want this to be true. :allears:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You’d think two men with the same initials would get along better

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

You’d think two men with the same initials would get along better

Honestly, I feel like this is hugely explanatory in a way that I've never seen in any traditional analyses.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

DAMMIT STEPHEN KING QUIT USING DISABLED PEOPLE AS A CRUTCH YOU IGNORANT loving HACK

Just steal their crutches to use as a crutch instead

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baron von Eevl posted:

I really wish I'd known this when I wrote that film school essay about Gus Hasford trolling Kubrick during production of Full Metal Jacket that would have been a better introduction.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Right, I forgot about the part where they get kidnapped by a crazy train and eventually kill it with shitposts.

I was agreeing with you about the badness at first but the more you say about it the more it just sounds batshit silly enough to read and enjoy. Like it sounds like a book series where the ending and, hell, even "what happens next", are out of context problems. Kinda like "Illuminatus!"

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 07:14 on Mar 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Oh no, if I don't say anything they'll think I wasn't listening.

Takes one to know one!

swish!

e:

the only stephen king book I've read (and only half read at that) is Running Man, and it's... alright, I guess? It has an ok beginning

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Mar 1, 2020