Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Javid posted:

> boiling? - I'm not actually sure what this means wrt spoon making so if it's gross and smells it might need to be a hot plate in the garage instead
It gets tannins out of the wood to make it less likely the spoon will impart a bitter taste to food.
Unless you're drinking the boilings, it's not going to cause any problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

lots of words

Post the manifesto.

If you're worried about legal repercussions just copy it with your non-dominant hand and send that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Kawasaki Nun posted:

You don't boil your spoons when you carve them?

Honestly I haven't done that specific sub-thing of woodworking so idfk what all is involved with crafting an artisanal wooden cooking utensil

It sounds like that's a thing, though, so yeah OP's roommate is doing extremely normal stuff for Portland, if he's forking out his rent on time who cares

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Sorry for making jokes on a comedy forum duder. Thanks for setting me straight I really value the insight you’ve given me. I appreciate you kramering in to this thread on a comedy forum and reminding me not to actually literally follow every joking suggestion a goon makes. Obviously I’m now we’ll advised that if I post something like “maybe if I” it’s “potentially incriminating”; I’ll place exactly the amount of value on your advice it merits.

Lol ok like you weren't earnestly asking how to evict your roommate largely because you think he's mentally ill & you don't like the arrangement that existed before you "became landlord"

I mean if you're going to "jokingly" ask how to harass a dude who's lived in the house for years without incident until he moves out, maybe don't get so butthurt if somebody points out that you're an idiot & rear end in a top hat (& that the laughter is at you, not with you)? :shrug:

ulmont posted:

Google “battle of the forms”.

Also I'd like to say that this is hilarious. What other common legal issues have excellent names like this, besides CYA?

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 29, 2020

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Keep Portland Weird man. Haven't you seen all the bumper stickers and tee shirts and signs everywhere wtf?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

BonerGhost posted:

Also I'd like to say that this is hilarious. What other common legal issues have excellent names like this, besides CYA?

The eggshell skull rule is a good one. Basically, if your negligence injures someone, and their injuries are much worse than would normally be expected because of a medical condition on their part, you're still fully liable. However, this can be modified by the crumbling skull rule, which states that if their condition was already getting worse on its own before the injury, you're only liable for the difference between how bad their condition is because of the injury and how bad it would have been without the injury.

There's also the doctrine of the fertile octogenarian and the unborn widow, a set of unlikely scenarios that have to be taken into account when determining the validity of wills and trusts in some jurisdictions.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 29, 2020

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

BonerGhost posted:

Though it isn’t used as much these days, demurrer is just a fun word to say.

From my own practice area (patents), Blonder Tongue (not that commonly referred to anymore but it’s a hilarious case name). Final rejection is funny, but only because it’s a completely inaccurate name (applicants have at least 4 ways to continue after a “final” rejection.)

And I don’t know how funny it is, but “self help eviction” is certainly relevant to the thread right now!

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

BonerGhost posted:

Evidence taken illegally is the fruit of the poisonous tree.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Somebody posts the proximate cause/foreseeable case fact pattern, the lady versus the railroad company

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

echopapa posted:

Evidence taken illegally is the fruit of the poisonous tree.

There's something called "the deep pocket principle" which sounds very american.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

BonerGhost posted:

Unclean hands doctrine. You can't trick someone into doing something you want to sue them for.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

blarzgh posted:

Somebody posts the proximate cause/foreseeable case fact pattern, the lady versus the railroad company

This, and the the lego animation.

Also the dead hand poison pill is the most metal of legal devices.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

blarzgh posted:

I pull the lever so the train only runs over one person. Right?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Devor posted:

I pull the lever so the train only runs over one person. Right?

quote:

The plaintiff, Helen Palsgraf, was waiting at a Long Island Rail Road station in August 1924 while taking her daughters to the beach. Two men attempted to board the train before hers; one (aided by railroad employees) dropped a package that exploded, causing a large coin-operated scale on the platform to hit her.

She sued the railroad company because the railroad company employee pushed a guy, who was carrying a package, that happened to be an explosive, that went off, that shook the wooden platform, that tipped over a coin operated scale, that landed on her.

blarzgh fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 29, 2020

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Just chiming in to say if this was my house and the guy said “I could have a gun in my room” or whatever I would say “I do have a gun in my room, let’s see whose works better” and then let the chips fall. Would solve the problem (but not without a lawyer probably)

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Well, he set up a GoPro in the living room to tape us without our knowledge or consent today, so that's a fun development.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Maybe because he doesn't want his landlord posting photos of his spoons on the internet or something?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

She sued the railroad company because the railroad company employee pushed a guy, who was carrying a package, that happened to be an explosive, that went off, that shook the wooden platform, that tipped over a coin operated scale, that landed on her.

Objective liability isn't a general thing in the US? Big company liability? Isn't it entirely reasonable that the accidental and negligent discarge of an explosive by a company employee could affect its immediate area in such a way that someone could get injured (flying stuff, shattering stuff, stuff falling over), thus causing a hazard the damage from which the company holds liability for primarily grounded in the very nature of its operation?

Wait, no, I reread that. A loving random person had an explosive and the company employee pushed they guy and the company was held liable? What the loving hell. I mean I guess that could work under objective liability but the facts required to swing that would be, hoo boy. Yeah that's one for the textbooks.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

pseudanonymous posted:

Well, he set up a GoPro in the living room to tape us without our knowledge or consent today, so that's a fun development.

I was told by other posters itt this is extremely normal behavior.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

pseudanonymous posted:

That's a great thing to document and show to your loving lawyer, that you have retained the services of.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Seriously just shoot him OP

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

Objective liability isn't a general thing in the US? Big company liability? Isn't it entirely reasonable that the accidental and negligent discarge of an explosive by a company employee could affect its immediate area in such a way that someone could get injured (flying stuff, shattering stuff, stuff falling over), thus causing a hazard the damage from which the company holds liability for primarily grounded in the very nature of its operation?

Wait, no, I reread that. A loving random person had an explosive and the company employee pushed they guy and the company was held liable? What the loving hell. I mean I guess that could work under objective liability but the facts required to swing that would be, hoo boy. Yeah that's one for the textbooks.
ya that's a weird one as far as delict in scotland there's Cameron v Hamilton’s Auction Marts. Ltd (1955). effectively a cow at a town market breaks out of the enclosure, runs down a street and into a house. there it goes up the stairs and falls through the floor (generally not designed for cows), where it lands in a shop and starts flooding the place. it's a textbook example here to try and get students to figure out responsibility and who should pay damages in extreme cases.

now if the cow were carrying a bomb that'd be a different story

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

No, keep posting your saga of crazy.

I don't think we blame you for not wanting to live with a crazy person, but getting rid of him is actually one of those things that's really complex and varies drastically from city-to-city so get a lawyer.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Nice piece of fish posted:

What? It said the holding was not liable after appeal. The railroad was awarded money from Pelsgraf (although apparently they didn't try to collect).

quote:

Defendant could not be held liable for an injury that could not be reasonably foreseen. New York Supreme Court, Appellate Division, reversed and complaint dismissed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palsgraf_v._Long_Island_Railroad_Co.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Devor posted:

What? It said the holding was not liable after appeal. The railroad was awarded money from Pelsgraf (although apparently they didn't try to collect).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palsgraf_v._Long_Island_Railroad_Co.

How the hell should I know? You think I read anything Blarzgh links? I may be dumb, but I'm not loving brain dead/Republican.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Arcturas posted:

No, keep posting your saga of crazy.

I don't think we blame you for not wanting to live with a crazy person, but getting rid of him is actually one of those things that's really complex and varies drastically from city-to-city so get a lawyer.

I am going to. I said this before but I'm going to get an actual contract with my mom then talk to a lawyer and see what the consequences and actions of various courses would be then make a decision.

I'm also going to stash my dog with her for a while because I'm worried he'll lose his poo poo if he gets the eviction notice and she's tiny and could be easily hurt.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Post the goddamn manifesto.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Fish is loving a dead brain?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Remind us why you think he's a threat to your dog? Aside from "is weird" I have seen no justification for that.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Javid posted:

Remind us why you think he's a threat to your dog? Aside from "is weird" I have seen no justification for that.

Things he’s said about dogs and pets and my past experiences with adults with severe and persistent mental illness and he mentioned pets in his manifesto.

To be fair I’m overprotective of her and I don’t think he’s likely to hurt her, I just don’t want to be stressed about it or that he’ll burn down the house with his shenanigans and leave her.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 1, 2020

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

to do list:

tell mom
post manifesto
send dog to witness protection
tell spoonman your gun is bigger than his
post the gopro footage

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

nm posted:

Post the goddamn manifesto.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

pseudanonymous posted:

I am going to. I said this before but I'm going to get an actual contract with my mom then talk to a lawyer and see what the consequences and actions of various courses would be then make a decision.

I'm also going to stash my dog with her for a while because I'm worried he'll lose his poo poo if he gets the eviction notice and she's tiny and could be easily hurt.

Maybe I'm misreading but why are you getting a contract first and then the lawyer?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Palsgraf is a route to the dark side

Someone post that self defense case with the fire and the bow and arrow

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

EwokEntourage posted:

Palsgraf is a route to the dark side

Someone post that self defense case with the fire and the bow and arrow

PJ Stone had too much fun writing this opinion

quote:

May a person who enters the habitat of another at 3 o'clock in the morning for the announced purpose of killing him, and who commences to beat the startled sleeper's bed with a stick and set fires under him, be entitled to use deadly force in self defense after the intended victim shoots him in the back with an arrow? Upon the basis of these bizarre facts, we hold that he may not, and instead, must suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune (with apologies to William Shakespeare and Hamlet, Act III, sc. 1).

https://law.justia.com/cases/california/court-of-appeal/3d/193/196.html

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

So many words but lol

This case is a parable of the dangers of weaponry in the hands of unreasonable powers who become unduly provoked over minor irritations.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

That story is a wild ride.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Carillon posted:

Maybe I'm misreading but why are you getting a contract first and then the lawyer?

My mom and brother and I never actually signed anything. So I'm worried that if he fights an eviction or gets crazier, I don't really have any proof on paper that I'm really the landlord.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe talk to a lawyer from the get go period.

And post the manifesto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Eminent Domain posted:

Maybe talk to a lawyer from the get go period.

And post the manifesto.

Well frankly if having an actual lease agreement with my mom will in some way hurt me it will magically not exist.

Also my girlfriend texted me this while I was at the gym and I thought all my problems were solved:

https://twitter.com/pdxalerts/status/1233871182333480960

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 1, 2020