Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Loomer posted:

But occultism makes you an rear end in a top hat in the same way the internet makes you stupid. It's inevitable.

At least Carna feels pretty conflicted about the whole "Starting a new house" thing. I think Beckett's phone book mentions that in the ST section that she's going with it but is also really uncomfortable with the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kurieg posted:

He did but I can't remember where.

Basically the insatiables were five otherwise unrelated monsters from five different authors that they tried to stitch together into a unified splat.

Null Snyper and Blind Man were kind of rear end, but I admit that I kind of liked the Lovesick Girl and Blitz Boy.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Everyone posted:

Null Snyper and Blind Man were kind of rear end, but I admit that I kind of liked the Lovesick Girl and Blitz Boy.

Run us through these again? I remember the Blind Man, I think, but I can't remember anything about Lovesick Girl, Blitz Boy, or Null Snyper beyond the name and 'internet monster.'

Oh and I remember everything about Sexy Snake Who Killed the Titanic In His Past Life And Speedran Being A Beast.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Stupid Sexy Snakeman :tutbutt:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Joe Slowboat posted:

Run us through these again? I remember the Blind Man, I think, but I can't remember anything about Lovesick Girl, Blitz Boy, or Null Snyper beyond the name and 'internet monster.'

Oh and I remember everything about Sexy Snake Who Killed the Titanic In His Past Life And Speedran Being A Beast.

Blind Man is a proper gentleman but also has fish eggs squirting out his butt and penis that he likes to feed to people so that they also squirt fish eggs out of their genitals and rear end in a top hat. This is basically a religious practice for him because he thinks it will speed up the return of the Primogenitor. His true form is a giant bug-covered "flaky" vagina.

Null Snyper is a lady who was bullied in high school so she became an internet recluse where she eventually discovered how fun it was to be a vicious poo poo to someone on a forum. She was so good at this that she amassed an army of trolls that do her bidding. She's a hacker who uses webcams and ubiquitous mics to eavesdrop on everything. Her, uh, "MO" was driving people to suicide, but she's moving on to inciting actual mob violence instead. Her cool badass character-defining quote is "If u can’t take criticism, GTFO n00b! LOL" Her true evil form is spidery because zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Blitz Boy was a child during the WW2 bombings of England, where he killed and ate his family. He travels around being a waif who lures fellow orphans to old bomb shelters to disappear them down his gullet. His presence makes adults abusive toward children.

Lovesick Girl was a lovesick girl whose super powers involve getting people to give her the love she's sick for, before she drains their life force. Her art is pretty cool. Also:

quote:

Notes: Colette usually has a car battery with her, which she uses as a weapon to great effect. Damage: 2B, Initiative Modifier: -2, Size: 1

Most of these characters are reclusive, while the ones who aren't are such obviously repulsive weirdos that the only time even Beasts would want to interact with them is during first meetings when you don't know poo poo about them. There are some okay-ish ideas in there, but for the most part it's a whole lot of words for "there's some rear end in a top hat on the horizon; let's go over there and beat them up."

Like, making any more use of Null Snyper than a weird offhand "so that happened" scene or two during a session about something else is difficult to conceive. She's a shut-in who is a lame rear end in a top hat that acts at a distance in extremely disconnected and vague ways. It would be a struggle to make PCs care about her, and a struggle to get them interested in doing anything involving her other than driving to her house and throwing her down a well.

Anyway you get roughly 2-2.5k words about her. Beast sucks.

EDIT: Oh look an F&F of the book they're from if you want more, probably worse details.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 1, 2020

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
...one of them carries around a car battery to hit people with, at all times?

That almost counts as a positive in a Beast book.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Don't forget that one of them was literally just pennywise with the numbers filed off. And the blitz boy was twisted into a tortured "You, personally, the person reading this right now should be ashamed because the media only cares about blond children."

e: Oh god i forgot about the dumb D&D-ism of them being immune to critical hits exceptional successes because they're aberrations their anatomy is beyond understanding.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 1, 2020

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Loomer posted:

But occultism makes you an rear end in a top hat in the same way the internet makes you stupid. It's inevitable.

this is known as the Crowley-Hubbard Principle.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

this is known as the Crowley-Hubbard Principle.

I dunno if it's the same everywhere but Tremere always attracted the most eye rolling IRL satanists and wannabe occultists to show up to the game.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
As the Resident Wizards, they also call to the kind of player who thinks roleplaying games are a competition to make the most versatile/broken guy and steal the spotlight from friends

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
With apologies to Loomer, a huge portion of Western occultism is just aristocrats cosplaying as people they murdered or conquered.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

With apologies to Loomer, a huge portion of Western occultism is just aristocrats cosplaying as people they murdered or conquered.

No apologies needed. Terrible people and acts infest Western occult traditions and we need to be willing to confront that.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

EimiYoshikawa posted:

...one of them carries around a car battery to hit people with, at all times?

That almost counts as a positive in a Beast book.

Admittedly the idea of some awful Siren-esque nightmare getting cornered, preparing to unveil their secret powers as everyone braces themselves, only to whip out a car battery to bludgeon everyone into submission with is so hilarious it kind of turns around back to being awesome. It's the sort of nonsensical poo poo you'd see in Sealab 2021 or AQTHF. But it's Beast so i'm sure it wasn't intentionally designed that cleverly.

joylessdivision posted:

Stupid Sexy Snakeman :tutbutt:

When is it not a good time to dump on Stupid Sexy Snakeman? It's like someone's Mary Sue OC got ported into the book complete with "Oh hey he's super attractive." added on for...Reasons?

Soonmot posted:

No, please do talk about it, but just ignore them. There is no reason why we shouldn't have good faith discussions about V5 in here.
For real. LA by Night is cool and good and shouldn't be dragged down by V5's issues.

Hopefully they'll still get more seasons after this one. Has the shift over to the World of Darkness channel reduced average viewership? I figure not everyone knows about the new location.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Mar 1, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I started watching LA By Night and mostly enjoy it, although I've taken a break from it after hitting the Satine Phoenix guest episode. That the Ministry is apparently what they say on the tin is kinda boring. (Also I hope she doesn't come back because she's not a great person.)

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

Why doesn't my ST let me play a child character?

Why does he automatically assume that he will emote NPCs being sexual with me?

Why does he automatically assume that my party mates will do it?

Edit: last part was too harsh.

What the gently caress

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Archonex posted:

Most people i've talked to that hate it had more issues with the fact that the guys running it were all but overtly alt-righters that seemed to get a thrill out of being as scummy as possible. This occurred alongside really changing up a lot of VtM mainstays and lore like removing the Sabbat.

Also, a few people don't like how they ripped off a lot of concepts from Requiem while the devs all but outright trashed that game. It was just shithead move after shithead move, from the whole "If you come to our LARP event be prepared for sexual assault by proxy/actual assault" thing early on, to hiring on that one rear end in a top hat for the first visual novel (who was such a bastard I believe he and his cronies ran a Onyx Path writer out of the company only for White Wolf not to drop his rear end like they should have) to the constant back pats and nods to hateful alt right trolls and straight up out and out neo-nazi's, and generally just being as detestable as possible.

Also, while it isn't to do with the game itself and is a personal and altogether minor quibble from what i've seen the art in a lot of the books kinda sucks.

The core book at least had the decency to show vampire cosplayers and what looked like concept art for the book that somehow made it in. But I remember at least one book had what was basically an amateur photography class's contributions where they took pictures of things that had no relevance to the content whatsoever. Like, we're talking one picture was just straight up a building. Not like a creepy vampire infested building or something, but just straight up the side of a building.

I may not have always been a fan of the black and white art or relentless 90's edginess of some of the older VtM books but at least they were trying to establish a look and theme for the setting for people coming in new to it. Visually a lot of the attempts at depicting the setting in V5 came across as someone wanting to clock out, go home, and just collect their paycheck. :effort:.

Apparently the Chicago book and parts of the Anarch (? Not sure if that's the one i'm thinking of.) fix this. But from what i've heard the Chicago book straight up uses old VtM art for some of the characters in some places.

Edit: I want to add a caveat that stuff like the Geek and Sundry/LA by Night crew running a really good game for several seasons now seems to have done a lot to rehabilitate the image of the game as not being intended for awful pricks. So it's not like it's relentlessly bad. But holy crap did it get a bad start. Whoever is taking over from Swedracula and crew had better be prepared to have their work cut out for them going forwards.

The v5 Chicago by night book is fully sick - its super comprehensive and fun. It's the only v5 book I've really bothered to actually read for anything besides character creation. It still uses the dreaded triple column format but other than that it's really good

My group is having alot of fun with the built in starter campaign. Would recommend 5/5

Oberst
May 24, 2010

ElNarez posted:

I think last night's episode is maybe the first time I really got what the deal with the Tremere in V5 was, beyond just the basic blood wizard thing. They're people who are just now discovering there's a world beyond the hosed up ways of the Pyramid and trying to readjust, building tools that they had never needed until this point.

This was super cool and I'm looking forward to these plot hooks

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wish they'd do an updated Chicago for nWoD.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I started watching LA By Night and mostly enjoy it, although I've taken a break from it after hitting the Satine Phoenix guest episode. That the Ministry is apparently what they say on the tin is kinda boring. (Also I hope she doesn't come back because she's not a great person.)

I think she only shows up in that episode if I'm remembering correctly. She and the Ministry get mentioned here and there after that episode but I've watched up to the new season and don't recall her actually showing up again.

The Ministry kinda gets pushed off to the side pretty quickly because of other things going on.

Also I'm pretty sure there's something more going on with them than just "Hey we decided to rebrand, we're not bad, really" as they've been portrayed so far but that's just speculation.

E: What did she do? Quick Google search isn't giving me anything about her doing anything lovely

joylessdivision fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 1, 2020

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

joylessdivision posted:

E: What did she do? Quick Google search isn't giving me anything about her doing anything lovely

She was a notable Zak S defender post-Mandy Morbid blog post.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Dawgstar posted:

quote:

Also I'm pretty sure there's something more going on with them than just "Hey we decided to rebrand, we're not bad, really" as they've been portrayed so far but that's just speculation.

Yeah, uh, they're definitely not that different. At least, not as much as they claim. From what I remember The Ministry's whole thing is supposed to be that they went "Oh poo poo, we can't be overtly racist caricatures of foreigners and evil Egyptians straight out of the Mummy movies any more now that the humans are actively pissed off at vampires thanks to the poo poo the Camarilla and Sabbat got up too. What do we do?".

To which some of them replied with "I know! How about we rebrand ourselves as a bunch of self help groups, alternative religions (Read: Cults.), and other things so we can keep peddling corruption?". To which a whole bunch of them apparently went "By Set, that's a fantastic idea! We'll just give ourselves the capitalist rebranding treatment! You're a genius, Ihmhotep!".

If it's the episode I think of then as far as I know she doesn't make a reappearance. At least, the guest doesn't. Also, all the talk of them being friendly goes out the window when you stop to think about what happened to the other two agents. Who were most likely burned alive at best. I don't think it ever gets brought up again, because of plot stuff. But it's one of those logical issues where what isn't shown is much more disturbing than what is.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 1, 2020

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Are the Serpents of the Light still around or are they gone like the rest of the Sabbat?

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

CaptainRat posted:

She did eventually come about on that and cut ties (apparently) with Zak, which is good and all. But there was a LOT of whining about "the internet" pressuring her to "lose friends" to get to that point.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Are the Serpents of the Light still around or are they gone like the rest of the Sabbat?

As far as I know most of the Sabbat got handwaved away with a lore explanation of "With the increased scrutiny on vampires the Sabbat proceeded to get absolutely curb stomped by humanity. Failing that, they finished devolving into the feral monsters they always were as all of the logistics that gave them a steady flow of blood and enabled them able to act like chaotic evil shitheads got ripped apart as humans actually started taking them seriously.".

Keep in mind that this might have been the in character take on it. I forget. Maybe someone else can chime in to elaborate further.

Obviously the lore is kept vague enough so that down the line someone can introduce a Sabbat book. But things like the Serpents of Light, the warrior caste Salubri, or the knightly Ventrue and all of the other minor groups that made it more than just a one note mayhem-fest just kind of got swept under the rug. Blame Sweddracula's endless desire for edginess, I guess.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 1, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

She also acted as Mearls' "Herald of Compassion" prop, which was a pretty gross and cynical stab at rehabbing Next.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

As a side note to the above post I made (Since I didn't want to write a wall of text.), keep in mind that I think even the Inconnu have only gotten like one or two lines worth of mentioning so far. And that's the usual "Well, I heard on the grape vine that they're actually the true masters of the Jyhad/faking Golconda for ~evil~ reasons/are actually Rasputin in disguise." rumor mongering you'd expect out of some of the OWoD and most of Vampire in the NWoD.

Ironically, it seems like they've leaned hard into ripping off Requiem/CofD in that the Bahari (Basically the Circle of the Crone from Requiem only with Lilith instead of the Dark Mother. Seriously. They even have a liturgical chant, similar rituals, and venerate creation/strength through tribulation. Also sometimes they just call her the Dark Mother. :shrug:) seem to have taken an even greater focus than in prior editions. I think a fairly big section of several of the books focused on them. Which is funny, since I don't recall them getting that much focus in the prior OWoD versions.

That being said, I know the Lilith worshipers were a thing in the prior versions. But outside of a brief mention every now and then and that one book and that one Gehenna scenario I don't think they were ever that big of a deal. So it comes off as an attempt to make an OWoD-compliant version of the Circle of the Crone to my eyes.

Granted, someone like Loomer could probably chime in on them a bit more if that's a subject of interest.

Edit: Also, I didn't know that Satine/that guest was such a lovely person. :stonk:

Given the drama that happened with G&S I doubt we'll ever get a revisit on what was up with the Ministry if that's the case. At least, assuming it doesn't get more seasons. Which it hopefully will. Since it's probably the best recorded gaming session for VtM to come out online so far.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 1, 2020

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

CaptainRat posted:

Hoooooboy that's what I figured. Gross.

Archonex posted:

Edit: Also, I didn't know that Satine/that guest was such a lovely person. :stonk:

Given the drama that happened with G&S I doubt we'll ever get a revisit on what was up with the Ministry if that's the case. At least, assuming it doesn't get more seasons. Which it hopefully will. Since it's probably the best recorded gaming session for VtM to come out online so far.

Okay so what happened with G&S, all I know is one day LABN was on the WoD channel instead of the G&S Youtube and I was confused but assumed it was just someone at Paradox deciding to do things more in house.

Archonex posted:

As far as I know most of the Sabbat got handwaved away with a lore explanation of "With the increased scrutiny on vampires the Sabbat proceeded to get absolutely curb stomped by humanity. Failing that, they finished devolving into the feral monsters they always were as all of the logistics that gave them a steady flow of blood and enabled them able to act like chaotic evil shitheads got ripped apart as humans actually started taking them seriously.".

Keep in mind that this might have been the in character take on it. I forget. Maybe someone else can chime in to elaborate further.

Obviously the lore is kept vague enough so that down the line someone can introduce a Sabbat book. But things like the Serpents of Light, the warrior caste Salubri, or the knightly Ventrue and all of the other minor groups that made it more than just a one note mayhem-fest just kind of got swept under the rug. Blame Sweddracula's endless desire for edginess, I guess.

The Sabbat are supposedly out in the middle east causing chaos and fighting the Gehenna War which who the gently caress knows what that actually means. I guess they're chasing Antideluvians?

I've mentioned that bit of info to my players but I'm also planning on introducing a Sabbat invasion of the Bay Area into the mix (along with hunters) because petty infighting between Cam and Anarchs is so much more fun when all hell is about to break loose :getin:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

joylessdivision posted:

The Sabbat are supposedly out in the middle east causing chaos and fighting the Gehenna War which who the gently caress knows what that actually means. I guess they're chasing Antideluvians?

Translation: "V5 is a serious and realistic RPG and the the Sabbat is too stupidly evil to actually use in our game but we can't outright kill it/retcon it out of existence. Solution: Send them to a quite corner to play by themselves."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry Lobster posted:

Translation: "V5 is a serious and realistic RPG and the the Sabbat is too stupidly evil to actually use in our game but we can't outright kill it/retcon it out of existence. Solution: Send them to a quite corner to play by themselves."

Which is a shame, as the Sabbat are as a valid lens to explore vampirism as the Camarilla, but Swedracula didn't care about them so out they go.

I do note LA By Night has, at least a little, seemed to reference them much like they were in 1E as the ominous threat that not's front and center but still kinda scary.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kurieg posted:

Don't forget that one of them was literally just pennywise with the numbers filed off. And the blitz boy was twisted into a tortured "You, personally, the person reading this right now should be ashamed because the media only cares about blond children."

e: Oh god i forgot about the dumb D&D-ism of them being immune to critical hits exceptional successes because they're aberrations their anatomy is beyond understanding.

Not-Pennywise wasn't just rear end, he was full-on colon.

As far as the "media only cares about blond children" goes, even in our own world that's at least a little bit true even now.

Blitz Kid would be really nasty in combination with the Cindy Whatever, the Fox News Blog Hero girl. Because he basically looks like a little kid until he's going to eat somebody. So Cindy will paint him as the victim of "evil Beasts" because she doesn't grok WTF he actually is.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The thing that's weird about Conquering Heroes is that almost all of the presented Heroes were portrayed as Sympathetic, decent people who's lives were ruined by Beasts. And all of the example beasts Save one were terrible monsters that should probably be put down for the world's net good. It's just so incredibly bizarre and tonally inconsistent with the rest of the line.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

The thing that's weird about Conquering Heroes is that almost all of the presented Heroes were portrayed as Sympathetic, decent people who's lives were ruined by Beasts. And all of the example beasts Save one were terrible monsters that should probably be put down for the world's net good. It's just so incredibly bizarre and tonally inconsistent with the rest of the line.

Sexy Snake just wanted to gently caress a cruise liner, and who can truly call that evil

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Fine, save two.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Sexy Snake just wanted to gently caress a cruise liner, and who can truly call that evil

The people riding that cruise liner.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Jhet posted:

The people riding that cruise liner.
They knew the risks when they signed up

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
One thing that has irked me about WoD/CofD discussions is what I would like to call overspecificity. There are a lot of cool monsters and powers and whatnot to work with, but there is a price to pay, narratively speaking, from having all this poo poo defined in such granularity.

So much of the content in these threads (and WoD/CofD chat rooms/forums) reads like buzzword central to me. "What would happen if an Archmage Antideluvian Uratha embraced a Changeling Ghoul Deviant? Would I have enough Arcana for that?"

I realize that what I said above isn't coherent with the setting, and I do know the meanings of all those terms in WoD/CofD-speak, but in my mind the contents of these threads all meld together into that overall vibe and message. I think a lot of the compelling ideas in fiction are when you have a story where there are only ONE or TWO truly weird or supernatural things are going on at a time in the entire story.

I think urban fantasy in general has this problem, an oversaturation of the supernatural, and a too-granular specificity of its workings, that makes it just come off as a bit whack.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Moving away from Mage circlejerk for half an iota of a second (too long for some of you, still, I apologize):

How feasible is it to run a supernatural human type of campaign in nWoD?

The core has a handful of neat supernatural powers that regular humans could have, and I've been toying with the idea of running a story campaign centered around the players as that... No they wouldn't become mages or vampires or anything else, they would just be people with supernatural abilities thrown into a relatively mundane kinda plot. (Gifted soldier squad in WW2 deployed to Europe on a top secret mission is the current leading possibility, for me)

Are there really enough powers to make it interesting? Any splats that add more supernatural powers for regular humans without being some weird hack of a watered down power from some other line? Assuming there aren't any actual monsters or creatures from the other lines (or maybe there are, but not as written, more like monster NPC rules to keep them reasonably challenging for the PCs without going into stupid land), would that be enough of a hook for the campaign? I mean, the odds would be stacked against them by default, in terms of their opposition being the entire Reich while they're in deep enemy territory, so I figure it'd work out okay.

Thoughts?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Derek Fcking Carr posted:

One thing that has irked me about WoD/CofD discussions is what I would like to call overspecificity. There are a lot of cool monsters and powers and whatnot to work with, but there is a price to pay, narratively speaking, from having all this poo poo defined in such granularity.

So much of the content in these threads (and WoD/CofD chat rooms/forums) reads like buzzword central to me. "What would happen if an Archmage Antideluvian Uratha embraced a Changeling Ghoul Deviant? Would I have enough Arcana for that?"

I realize that what I said above isn't coherent with the setting, and I do know the meanings of all those terms in WoD/CofD-speak, but in my mind the contents of these threads all meld together into that overall vibe and message. I think a lot of the compelling ideas in fiction are when you have a story where there are only ONE or TWO truly weird or supernatural things are going on at a time in the entire story.

I think urban fantasy in general has this problem, an oversaturation of the supernatural, and a too-granular specificity of its workings, that makes it just come off as a bit whack.

This is mostly an oWoD problem. nWoD leaves a lot of the map not filled in such that there are supernatural phenomena not trivially or even technically classifiable as the doing of some capitalized playable supernatural being or one of that being’s subsidiaries/antagonists. In either case, of course, there’s plenty of support for just running a game about one thing and ignoring the rest.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Fuzz posted:

Moving away from Mage circlejerk for half an iota of a second (too long for some of you, still, I apologize):

How feasible is it to run a supernatural human type of campaign in nWoD?

The core has a handful of neat supernatural powers that regular humans could have, and I've been toying with the idea of running a story campaign centered around the players as that... No they wouldn't become mages or vampires or anything else, they would just be people with supernatural abilities thrown into a relatively mundane kinda plot. (Gifted soldier squad in WW2 deployed to Europe on a top secret mission is the current leading possibility, for me)

Are there really enough powers to make it interesting? Any splats that add more supernatural powers for regular humans without being some weird hack of a watered down power from some other line? Assuming there aren't any actual monsters or creatures from the other lines (or maybe there are, but not as written, more like monster NPC rules to keep them reasonably challenging for the PCs without going into stupid land), would that be enough of a hook for the campaign? I mean, the odds would be stacked against them by default, in terms of their opposition being the entire Reich while they're in deep enemy territory, so I figure it'd work out okay.

Thoughts?
You will need to define what constitutes a "regular human" for the answer to have meaning, because (for instance) Sin-Eaters and Mages seem as though they would qualify.

There is also a game, Godlike or something, that is exactly the premise you describe, funnily enough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Fuzz posted:

Thoughts?

I know Hurt Locker has a lot more material for semi-normal people in CoD. Depending on precisely what you want, Hunter could also have stuff for this.