Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

purely because they want this to not be a big deal and once you dish out a lot of money it means its gonna be a big deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

You love to read about how the head of a military bio-defense facility that handles Ebola considers breach to be a "loaded word" when it comes to regulations.

quote:

CDC inspection findings reveal more about USAMRIID research suspension
By Heather Mongilio hmongilio@newspost.com Nov 23, 2019

Due to redactions to protect against notification of the release of an agent under the Federal Select Agent Program, it is unclear the result of the two breaches.

Breach is a “loaded word,” said Col. E. Darrin Cox, commander of USAMRIID. While there was a breach, there was no exposure, he said. No one was exposed to any of the agents or toxins.

Anytime USAMRIID determines there is a breakdown of requirements, employees have to do a report, Cox said.
The CDC, in its inspection findings, noted six departures from the federal regulations for handling select agents and toxins. One of those departures was the two breaches.

Another departure was that the military laboratory systematically failed to implement biosafety and containment procedures. In one instance, personnel deliberately propped open the door to the autoclave room while the employee removed biohazard waste.

“This deviation increases the risk of contaminated air from room [redacted] escaping and being drawn into the autoclave room, where individuals do not wear respiratory protection,” according to the report.

The report includes a large section redacted to protect against the release of a report or inspection of a specific registered person that would endanger public health or safety.

Propping the door open was an ”incident,” Cox said, not one of the breaches. It was noted by the CDC during one of its inspections.

The person who propped the door open did not have mal intent, he said.

“They weren’t doing it to openly flout the rules,” Cox said. “They were doing it for a reason that they thought was reasonable. But I mean, it still was not in compliance with [standard operating procedures].”
The inspection findings also found that USAMRIID did not have a complete, accurate inventory of its select agents. That has been resolved, Cox said.
The Laboratory Response Network is made up of three laboratories — one operated by the Navy, USAMRIID and the CDC. The three are responsible for determining unknown material.

While operations were shut down at USAMRIID, the Army laboratory still did some work. But if it identified something that fell under the Federal Select Agent Program, it either stored the material in the freezer, as it was with the rest of the biological select agents or toxins it has, or sent it to one of the other laboratories, Cox said.

The Laboratory Response Network is set up in such a way that if one of the laboratories cannot operate, as USAMRIID could not, the other two can shoulder the work, said USAMRIID spokeswoman Caree Vander Linden. That happened with the CDC during the height of the 2016 Ebola outbreak, which meant USAMRIID took on more work.

While under the partial suspension, the CDC will approve the studies USAMRIID scientists wish to do, Cox said. USAMRIID leadership will have to send an outline of proposed research, including what agent it will involve, among other details. CDC personnel will then review the plan and interview the scientists to make sure they are trained and can do the research, he said.
https://www.fredericknewspost.com/n...aign=user-share

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
love that you can be fired for tagging groceries wrong on accident, but accidentally spraying ebola air on people is nbd because you don't have mal intent. luv this sane and normal world.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Late night corona crew,

I posted this earlier but I don’t think it was noticed because it was during the Trump press conference. The guy behind me at security at the airport today took his dentures out and put them directly into the plastic security tray to go through the x-ray machine. Once the tray was on the other side he popped them right back in.

If we are expecting the average person to wash their hands to prevent this virus, we are hosed. They can’t even handle their teeth.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

QuarkJets posted:

That happened today; a person in a nursing home in Washington, confirmed to have coronavirus via community transmission, died, and the news reported on it and that a bunch of other residents and staff are sick.

The death in WA is actually unrelated to the skilled care facility outbreak iirc

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Heated Gaming Moment posted:

Late night corona crew,

I posted this earlier but I don’t think it was noticed because it was during the Trump press conference. The guy behind me at security at the airport today took his dentures out and put them directly into the plastic security tray to go through the x-ray machine. Once the tray was on the other side he popped them right back in.

If we are expecting the average person to wash their hands to prevent this virus, we are hosed. They can’t even handle their teeth.

this owns

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1232777519448887296?s=20

quote:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Pentagon told Congress on Wednesday it was reviewing the possibility it may need additional funding to deal with the spread of the coronavirus, hours after the U.S. military reported a soldier in South Korea had become infected.

“It is spreading and we can’t give you a definitive answer on whether we’ll need additional resources or not,” said Army General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, addressing a hearing of the House Armed Services Committee.

“We owe you some answers.”

a couple days old, but i love how uninspiring Mark Milley consistently is

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

just lmao

https://twitter.com/COVlDI9/status/1234002851430531072

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

lmfao that owns

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Late night corona crew,

this dude can lick his way from the airplane back to his car and will never die. bless him

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

just lmfao at anyone who was long on the market going into the weekend

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

They should shut down Snohomish now Wuhan style if the local officials still have any brain left.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
I was watching Parks and Recreation and there is an episode where they all have the Flu and it is just ha ha they feel bad and are sick and have to be in the hospital and there is absolutely never any time where the writers or viewers would imagine that it would be actually dangerous, even though the flu kills 50k a year.

The coronavirus is what, 100 times more deadly? 1 in a million for a 30-40 year old with flu compared to 1 in 10 thousand for coronavirus?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Late night corona crew,

I read it and really appreciated it

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

They should shut down Snohomish now Wuhan style if the local officials still have any brain left.

It is going to spread, I assume the inflection point is when ERs start filling up state by state and everyone realize e country is screwed.

New tests may speed that process along but I don’t think the US is going to implement any serious quarantine measures until the panic already on going and its way too late.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Mar 1, 2020

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Stereotype posted:

I was watching Parks and Recreation and there is an episode where they all have the Flu and it is just ha ha they feel bad and are sick and have to be in the hospital and there is absolutely never any time where the writers or viewers would imagine that it would be actually dangerous, even though the flu kills 50k a year.

The coronavirus is what, 100 times more deadly? 1 in a million for a 30-40 year old with flu compared to 1 in 10 thousand for coronavirus?

Isn't it 1-2% for coronavirus, not 1 in 10 thousand?

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

"Reuters:

A man in his 70s died on Japan’s northernmost island of Hokkaido on Saturday night after testing positive for Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus called SARS-CoV-2, local authorities said on Sunday.

The municipal government of Hokkaido said the patient was hospitalised on Jan. 17 for another disease, but started to show flu-like symptoms a few weeks later and tested positive for the coronavirus on Feb. 25.

Public broadcaster NHK and other local media said authorities suspect the man may have caught the virus while in hospital.

The man’s death marks the sixth fatality from Covid-19 in Japan, excluding six deaths among those aboard the cruise ship Diamond Princess."

Dick Valentine
Nov 4, 2009

Nnnooo not my soft exposed lungs lol. oh noo haha i’ll die.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

gay picnic defence posted:

if you’re a reasonably healthy person under 40 the statistics currently imply 1 in 1 thousand or 0.1% chance of dying

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

incredible

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

it's 0.1% for the 30-40 age bracket last i saw, i wouldn't be surprised if even that's high though because so many people in that bracket will get infected but not severely enough to be diagnosed

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

GrimGypsy posted:

we're all gonna be dead by November, December, January, February, March, SURELY April. By then we'll all be dead from the strangely ineffective superbug that's definitely the apocalypse. You just watch. DEFINITELY by April; no it is not weird that I seem to be cheering for it to be worse than it is.

Nah it's May. We will all be dead by May

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah, .5-1% with a functional healthcare system and above 2% under stress.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This seems like a serious situation but what if I buy 4 extra rolls of toilet paper and read the internet all day for nothing? Then what will I do??

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Ardennes posted:

It is going to spread, I assume the inflection point is when ERs start filling up state by state and everyone realize e country is screwed.

New tests may speed that process along but I don’t think the US is going to implement any serious quarantine measures until the panic already on going and its way too late.

Not if we weld the doors to Washington State shut first!

25 Kirkland, WA firefighters and 2 cops are in home quarantine now, as of this evening, as they were exposed to it. :ohdear:

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Mar 1, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ardennes posted:

The thing is, even if hundreds of severe patients have completely saturated the local hospital and infect 1/3 of the staff, your city is probably only 10% infected. A hardline quarantine still helps.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i'm still not convinced that a lot of healthy 30-40 year olds don't already have it, including people in this thread

like how the gently caress could this not be in nyc, there's zero way, especially with flights from seatac to jfk or what have you

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

corona-chan is already inside of us

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

triple sulk posted:

i'm still not convinced that a lot of healthy 30-40 year olds don't already have it, including people in this thread

like how the gently caress could this not be in nyc, there's zero way, especially with flights from seatac to jfk or what have you

they totally do, symptomless spreaders are a big thing with this one

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

I'm not convinced there's a lot of asymptomatic cases in middle aged people. There's just a long come up so it seems like it, people with it will probably be feeling worse soon enough.

Hopefully we get some serology surveys soon to put some better numbers on asymptomatic rates.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
you just know it's going to hit DC eventually too

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

they totally do, symptomless spreaders are a big thing with this one

i just assume i'm one of them at this point

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

triple sulk posted:

its 100% in nyc

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

eric ciaramella posted:

you just know it's going to hit DC eventually too

wow!! 50 empty congressional seats!!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

hell I probably have it (fever, consistent cough, lots of mucus, just recently was in Japan) but the worst I felt was three days ago and there’s no loving way I’m risking missing work for two weeks

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

cstang posted:

Unfortunately the next two weeks are pre-recorded.

its a good thing that way, no capability for hemming and hawwing when it finally goes up

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

stephenthinkpad posted:

LOL, people will absolutely panic and flee the nanosecond people got a wiff of a shut down + containment zone.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
how is the president of cambodia doing

any public appearances lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

triple sulk posted:

I currently have a cold, but what if corona-chan is actually here instead? :ohdear: