Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Squizzle posted:

logans runs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

There will be adequate superspreaders

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

AceOfFlames posted:

I just spent another poo poo load of money on groceries. If this thing doesn't hit I'm going to be so loving pissed.

Any spices you're adding to those? I'm concerned I'm going to be stuck with a bunch of beans that I can do nothing with. At least I also got sausages and stuff that I can just microwave.
I just mostly bought stuff I'm eating occasionally anyway so I'm not too concerned if it turns out to be a nothingburger.

There's already a ton of fresh and dried chilis, dries spices, salt and oil so at worst this is just gonna be edible if a bit boring.

QuarkJets posted:

fake, not a single cheeto anywhere in that picture
I'm trying to use this as an opportunity to eat healthier. When god gives you aids, make lemonaids an all that.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm trying to use this as an opportunity to eat healthier. When god gives you aids, make lemonaids an all that.

lol I love it

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Geez, settle down granpda. The internet figured out it's everywhere and we are all going to die over a month ago. Could have just asked us.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

What in the gently caress? Seriously?

I usually eat beans in chili but that requires meat that goes bad unless I freeze it and I have a freezer the size of an office drawer.

I bought some green peppers that I hope can serve as a substitute.

In case it wasn't apparent, I don't cook very often. I have no oven, no dishwasher, tiny fridge so I mostly subside on take out and supermarket ready meals. Unfortunately nearly everything in this country has super low shelf life. The ammount of food (and money) I wasted on "THIS will be the day I start cooking regularly!" would make you want to murder me.

Also, it's really astounding how expensive canned goods are. I was wondering how the gently caress I spent over 60 Euros this weekend and it turns out a can of tuna is over 2 euros each. The hell?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 1, 2020

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
drat goons are gonna starve to death if the takeout places and supermarket delis close, holy poo poo

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

fits my needs posted:

drat goons are gonna starve to death if the takeout places and supermarket delis close, holy poo poo

ill just order three pizzas and freeze one

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/business/status/1234088143038689282?s=20

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

fits my needs posted:

I have been trying to cook more but I always run into the same loving problem: every recipe on the internet, even the ones marked "easy" or "simple" seems to include over ten ingredients, take 30 minutes to make, heavily make use of an oven (which I do not have), or cause a mountain of pots to wash (again, no dishwasher). Is there a book that is about "how to cook poo poo that can be done in five minutes without running the risk of scurvy or a heart attack if kept up indefinitely"? The closest I found was this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Terrible-Misha-Fletcher-ebook/dp/B078KCBNVM

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

I usually eat beans in chili but that requires meat that goes bad unless I freeze it and I have a freezer the size of an office drawer.

... just don't add meat and use more beans

I literally posted a recipe that does that in this thread lmfao

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

dex_sda posted:

... just don't add meat and use more beans

I literally posted a recipe that does that in this thread lmfao

Can you link it? I must have missed it amongst the bean shitposting.

D.Ork Bimboolean
Aug 26, 2016

If you run out of food just eat the coronavirus itself. Win/Win

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

I have been trying to cook more but I always run into the same loving problem: every recipe on the internet, even the ones marked "easy" or "simple" seems to include over ten ingredients, take 30 minutes to make, heavily make use of an oven (which I do not have), or cause a mountain of pots to wash (again, no dishwasher). Is there a book that is about "how to cook poo poo that can be done in five minutes without running the risk of scurvy or a heart attack if kept up indefinitely"? The closest I found was this one:

what the gently caress

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

AceOfFlames posted:

I have been trying to cook more but I always run into the same loving problem: every recipe on the internet, even the ones marked "easy" or "simple" seems to include over ten ingredients, take 30 minutes to make or cause a mountain of pots to wash. Is there a book that is about "how to cook poo poo that can be done in five minutes without running the risk of scurvy or a heart attack if kept up indefinitely"? The closest I found was this one:

Baking is classical music with a strict score, but cooking is jazz with a highly improvisational part. Just put the things you like together and heat them up in a wok or a pan. Eat some carbs, fats, proteins and lots of veggies and you won't get sick.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Honj Steak posted:

Baking is classical music with a strict score, but cooking is jazz with a highly improvisational part. Just put the things you like together and heat them up in a wok or a pan. Eat some carbs, fats, proteins and lots of veggies and you won't get sick.

that can't be done in 5 minutes bro, might as well give up

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

fits my needs posted:

what the gently caress

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

good god. okay, I'm gonna try to breathe and not call you names, here goes...

I'm gonna be level with you: if you cook, you're gonna have to spend time to do it, clean the dishes and so forth. Can't avoid it, but that's true of many worthwhile things in life. Put on some music you like, and spend 30 minutes cooking, take it easy. It gets simpler as you learn. Hell, maybe it will make you chill the gently caress out.

Learn to make things that keep well, like stews, mexican food etc. This way, you can cook like 6 meals at once in an hour and just reheat them for three days. It robs you of choice of food every day, but hey, tradeoff!

Good news: you usually don't need an oven for anything mexican/indian/using protein.

AceOfFlames posted:

Can you link it? I must have missed it amongst the bean shitposting.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3912152&pagenumber=403&perpage=40#post502882721

you can use whatever stuff you fancy as long as you use quinoa/onion/tomatoes/beans/peppers and chili, so keep it as simple or as canned as you want. vegetable broth from a cube is fine.

e; those kinds of recipes are a good way to use up leftovers from other foods, btw. just buy stuff for what you want to cook one day and then two days later, before the leftover poo poo rots, throw it in the chili. it'll be fine.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Ah gently caress I don't have pink Himalayan salt just the regular kind, guess I can't make this recipe now

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Ah gently caress I don't have pink Himalayan salt just the regular kind, guess I can't make this recipe now

Dog Toothbrush
Oct 21, 2019

by Reene

A good decision if you were considering making sauerkraut

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

AceOfFlames posted:

i made this the other night and i was rly easy and good and i had leftovers for days https://pupswithchopsticks.com/spicy-korean-pork-bulgogi/ check out htis poo poo called 'gochujang' everyone it whips rear end

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

You can buy those in Homegoods/TJ Maxx.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

fits my needs posted:

that can't be done in 5 minutes bro, might as well give up

OK, maybe 5 minutes is a bit of an exaggeration on my part. It seems that even recipes that claim to take 30 minutes end up taking close to 45 and add to that the dishwashing. Thank goodness I will move soon to a place with a dishwasher and oven.

OK, I'm not doing this to that extreme but rather stuff like "Use this cut of meat" which doesn't exist here or "spaghetti squash" and the like.

Farm Frenzy posted:

i made this the other night and i was rly easy and good and i had leftovers for days https://pupswithchopsticks.com/spicy-korean-pork-bulgogi/ check out htis poo poo called 'gochujang' everyone it whips rear end

See, there you go. I have literally never seen that in a store except maybe the Asian supermarket a 30 minute train ride away.

Honj Steak posted:

That is the mentality I am trying to break. I am really averse to trial and error but I am getting there. Those stir fry vegetable packs sold in grocery stores are great but again, they last a week at most.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

OK, maybe 5 minutes is a bit of an exaggeration on my part. It seems that even recipes that claim to take 30 minutes end up taking close to 45 and add to that the dishwashing. Thank goodness I will move soon to a place with a dishwasher and oven.

it isn't a videogame, you don't lose if you go over the time limit what the gently caress

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

fits my needs posted:

it isn't a videogame, you don't lose if you go over the time limit what the gently caress

It's not that, it's the sheer time wasted. I am tired enough as it is when I get home, now I have to spend 1 hour of the little free time I have every day cooking?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

AceOfFlames posted:

It's not that, it's the sheer time wasted. I am tired enough as it is when I get home, now I have to spend 1 hour of the little free time I have every day cooking?

yes.

Japanese eye
Jun 27, 2018

by Reene
Laughing at the people stockpiling goods while I reinstall Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

thats just like, the life for most bro :shrug:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

That is the mentality I am trying to break. I am really averse to trial and error but I am getting there. Those stir fry vegetable packs sold in grocery stores are great but again, they last a week at most.

What I don't get is why you are averse to trial and error. It's literally how learning works, and in this case it's not you climbing everest without ropes, it's loving cooking. All you risk is having a disappointing meal, oh no

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

AceOfFlames posted:

You gain more awake time by eating healthily and spending an hour a day in the kitchen than by eating junk and spending the hour on the couch. Get some bluetooth headphones or a kitchen radio and listen to your favorite music and/or podcasts.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i agree 30 minutes is way too loving long for a meal

get some inspiration from the speedrun community and start doing time splits

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Racking my brain extra hard for possible substitites for spaghetti squash, alas no clues are forthcoming

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
BNO hasn't tweeted in almost 10 hours.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

BoldFace posted:

No more virus! Its over.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Cooking blows. Just microwave a can of beans for a minute and mix them with some rice, pour some soy sauce over it, and shovel it down your gullet in like 5 minutes.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

I keep trying to read WTF this all means, but the reddit and twitter thread make no loving sense. Can someone explain it to m like I'm the president of the USA.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Racking my brain extra hard for possible substitites for spaghetti squash, alas no clues are forthcoming

Recipe wants me to use red onion but I only got yellow, do I need to buy a can of spraypaint in the hardware store to use it?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

BoldFace posted:

BNO; one turboposting dude in Amsterdam got covids and died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Comstar posted:

I keep trying to read WTF this all means, but the reddit and twitter thread make no loving sense. Can someone explain it to m like I'm the president of the USA.

you have coronavirus