Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah I saw that as a brawl commander on wednesday which was confusing.

Frog guy is a reward for the brawl event that is going on. He is 10k gold plus 1 win

If you can't see the brawl event try scrolling the play menu they hosed up and I couldn't find it, had to get support.

As for the card, noxious made a great self mill meme deck for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
And also can someone explain cube drafts for me? How many cards do you need?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Turpitude posted:

For your deck or for your cube?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Any time I draft a deck where I've grabbed a couple of awesome bombs and what I think is good support for them, I crash and burn. When I'm like "this is okay I guess I should pick up a couple of wins at least" I win the draft

Last 2 drafts I did went 0-3 and 1-3. just two awful runs back to back where every opponent has the answers and drop their bombs on curve . The most humiliating loss was to the WRBG deck that curved perfectly into their dumbass game plan with zero fixing (RG sacc deck with white for making tokens and green for warbriars blessing for some loving reason??)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Turpitude posted:

Frog guy is a reward for the brawl event that is going on. He is 10k gold plus 1 win

If you can't see the brawl event try scrolling the play menu they hosed up and I couldn't find it, had to get support.

As for the card, noxious made a great self mill meme deck for it.

I can see it I just don't want to pay 10k gold for something I can presumably craft if I ever need it, just to be able to play brawl, so I didn't even look at the reward.

I feel so bad, I was loving with a 3-colour draft deck, took it down to two, had a game, wasn't happy, went back up to 3, forgot to change my lands, and won anyway. Including casting I think 3 cards of the off colour. Pantheon and Caryatid worked wonders.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

pointsofdata posted:

It actually seems ok in the meta - UW can be rough but priest is good against dreamtrawler, gutterbones can get it for a fair bit of damage and you have some resilience against wraths. RDW might kill you but all you need is to get a mayhem devil on the board and you can wipe their board pretty fast.

The biggest issue with it is that while there's a ton of synergy, it requires the right combination(s) to really come off. Maybe my particular list just needs to be tightened (especially since there is nothing from Theros in there), but too often I just can't get enough of the right pieces on the board.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Wafflecopper posted:

Any time I draft a deck where I've grabbed a couple of awesome bombs and what I think is good support for them, I crash and burn. When I'm like "this is okay I guess I should pick up a couple of wins at least" I win the draft

I drafted a deck a few days ago and didn’t play the games then because I thought the deck sucked and I didn’t feel like cranking out losses

Tonight I decided to run it into the ground and start over. It’s currently 5-0. I still think it’s trash, but it’s been getting my opponent to 0...

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
If you don’t want to pay the 10k gold for the current historic brawl commander they cost mythic wc’s to craft.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Had a fun sealed finish just now. I'm stalled with just a Lampad of Death's Vigil and a Thundering Chariot and my opponent with a 5/4 blocker on board at 3 life. I've drawn into 3 or 4 lands consecutively and have watched my life dwindle from 23->14->7 as my opponent rebuilds his side with a 4/4 and another 2/2.

I draw into Portent of Betrayal with 7 lands on board.

:q:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I realize there's a lot of hate for monored right now, and this might be an unpopular opinion - but I'd much rather play mono red than simic flash when it was hot. Playing against that deck took forever, I'd rather lose quickly than take 20 minutes for someone to agonize over every decision.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Turpitude posted:

A cube draft is a limited format where the card set is a selection of cards that is curated by the cube owner. Some cube have a theme (all one artist, or all rares, or the best cards in vintage, etc), its' usually 360-540 cards and 8 players sit down and draft a 40 card deck.

It's a neat format (because you get to create it yourself), and once you have a cube, you can endlessly draft it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Shooting Blanks posted:

I realize there's a lot of hate for monored right now, and this might be an unpopular opinion - but I'd much rather play mono red than simic flash when it was hot. Playing against that deck took forever, I'd rather lose quickly than take 20 minutes for someone to agonize over every decision.

Press ESC to bring up the menu to concede a game.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Preferring to lose quickly to Mono-Red vs playing against the most annoying counter magic deck in the format isn’t a controversial take.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I am looking for a good game log parser.
I mainly want the ability to review a previously played game. I found mtgatracker which can display current log as an overlay. But the display of old games seems to be bugged out.
And everything else seems to require sign ups to work.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wafflecopper posted:

Case in point I just went 5-1 in trad with this Labyrinth build-around

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Why do people keep pulling Iroan Games with Thought Erasure over cards that are more immediately harmful? Yes, it's good and can do a lot of damage but that over a Questing Beast on T3? Is there some play with it that I'm unaware of, besides the Paradise Druid nonsense?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Shooting Blanks posted:

Why do people keep pulling Iroan Games with Thought Erasure over cards that are more immediately harmful? Yes, it's good and can do a lot of damage but that over a Questing Beast on T3? Is there some play with it that I'm unaware of, besides the Paradise Druid nonsense?

It’s probably easier for a U/B player to deal with a creature than with an enchantment once they are not in your hand.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Or maybe they plan on going another Erasure next turn.

I've definitely had situations where someone's made a slightly baffling choice (taking a cheaper card over a better one, usually) then revealed that that was why.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

If your opponent is holding an answer to a 4/4 they might as well take the one that's cheaper and provides (admittedly extremely minimal) value if they kill it. Assuming you can play Iroan Games next turn but not QB.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

The biggest issue with it is that while there's a ton of synergy, it requires the right combination(s) to really come off. Maybe my particular list just needs to be tightened (especially since there is nothing from Theros in there), but too often I just can't get enough of the right pieces on the board.

I'm on my phone so can't post my list but I think you have to make sure every card in your deck combos well, and be prepared to sac e.g. mayhem devil to priest. Woe strider is great because it is great sac fodder and lets you sac at instant speed. I don't play ayara as she is too slow for the payoff and the tricky casting cost. I play 5 knight + gutterbones, in not sure what the right mix is as knight is better against RDW but doesn't recur.

I used to play Lili but now just play 2x cavalier of knight as my top end - it's great as a sac outlet and your only source of targeted removal and you can sac it to get mayhem devil or the card draw zombie back. I tried nightmare shepherd and rankle but just didn't feel they had quite enough synergy, although I'm probably wrong about shepherd.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Just beat a resolved Dream Trawler in limited with the Rise to Glory trick to attach Dreadful Apathy, I'm not sure there's a better feeling in magic. Thank you thread for discussing it at some point so I knew about it

e: finished this run up today, beating another Dream Trawler by Having Enough Blockers (courtesy of Archon of Sun's Grace) and eventually playing an Enemy of Enlightenment then Dreadful Apathy once my opponent's hand was empty. Finished 5-1

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 2, 2020

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

ah, watching a guy name forest with medomai's prophecy, and playing a forest that same turn

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

resistentialism posted:

ah, watching a guy name forest with medomai's prophecy, and playing a forest that same turn

it wouldn't work anyway because prophecy wants you to cast the named spell

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

ya, one of two problems there

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

so how many of seconds of frantically mosuing over cards after that play?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

well, 7-1 with mono white devotion pile.
p1p1 heliod

only lost to the guy who didn't seem to realize he could move his shadowspear off of his punishment'd vexing gull with 2 other enchantments on it.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Lands aren’t even spells; the wording on that Saga is kind of cruel in allowing you to name them

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
The lists for the "7-0 limited deck" event are out. The B/W deck looks worse than legitimately every single B/W deck I've drafted in this format, mostly because it's full of garbage devotion payoffs instead of heroes and/or auras and/or enchantment recursion. It doesn't even have a Rise to Glory! The B/R sacrifice deck is okay but it has an enemy of enlightenment in it for some reason. The U/G deck looks more like an actual deck someone drafted rather than the hypothetical idea of what a limited deck should be, like the other two.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I still love this stupid combo

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Simone Poodoin posted:

lmao

And I say that as a Heliod player.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Simone Poodoin posted:

Can I get that decklist for that Kiora, Garruk deck? I can pretty much build it from the screenshot, but I'd rather lazily try it out first to see if I want to tinker with it.

I also might just get it for a casual, physical deck.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 2, 2020

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I’m away from my computer but I have posted it before, search for my posts in this thread. It has much room for improvement but is very fun jank when it goes off, and it has like 3 ways to do so.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Will do. Thanks.

IntravenusDiMilo
Jul 27, 2004

There's a fine line between stupid...and clever.
What should I cut here? I'm having the toughest time getting down to 40 with this pile:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Glory Bearers, 1x Omen of the Sun, 1x Karametra's Blessing, Indomitable Will and Wrap in Flames?

I would say cut the Wayfarers but you are really short on creatures.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Mat Cauthon posted:

Glory Bearers, 1x Omen of the Sun, 1x Karametra's Blessing, Indomitable Will and Wrap in Flames?

I would say cut the Wayfarers but you are really short on creatures.

You don't cut wrap in flames in the heroic deck.

(hint: you can target your own heroes with it to trigger their ability)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

IntravenusDiMilo posted:

What should I cut here? I'm having the toughest time getting down to 40 with this pile:

Glory Bearers, 1 Wayfarer, 1 Omen, 1 Hero of Winds, 1 Rage Hound probably. And probably swap a Karametra's BLessing for a Final Flare.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is anyone still playing the GWx auras deck? I've opened 4 copies of Setessan Champion and it always seemed like fun.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is anyone still playing the GWx auras deck? I've opened 4 copies of Setessan Champion and it always seemed like fun.

It's sup[er fun but not ladder worhty, I'll pop my current version up in a moment when I'm not in a game.

E: Deck
4 All That Glitters (ELD) 2
8 Plains (THB) 279
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
4 Alseid of Life's Bounty (THB) 1
4 Forest (THB) 287
4 Setessan Training (THB) 201
2 Sentinel's Mark (RNA) 20
4 Setessan Champion (THB) 198
4 Season of Growth (M20) 191
1 Temple of Plenty (THB) 248
4 Gods Willing (M20) 19
4 Karametra's Blessing (THB) 26
2 Sentinel's Eyes (THB) 36
2 Transcendent Envoy (THB) 40
2 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
1 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
2 Nyx Herald (THB) 189

Fitting in a couple of Archon of Falling Stars would also be good, probably over the Nyx Heralds, though those are frequently VERY useful as you need the trample to push damage. And it could use a couple more creatures generally, probably Destiny Spinners, but I'm not sure what over, probably a couple of Season of Growth, it's frequently overkill.

More dual lands would also be good, but I don't have many in the right colour combo.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Thanks. I'll try Siona over Nyx Herald since the effect seems fairly relevant.