Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The Title Race Run In
Liverpool's March fixtures:

:thunk: Four points from this I reckon and out of both cups

City's:

:thunk: Fourteen points for City :hmmyes:

:siren:IT'S ALL TO PLAY FOR:siren:

As the worst team ever to top the Premier League continues to struggle with the number 19, their "talked about in the same breath as the 99 Treble Winners halfway through a season" status fell into proper jeopardy as the 3-0 thumping we gave Watford last week got passed on with bells on, bringing Liverpool's total defeats this season to four in all competitions, matching the 1999 Treble Winners for defeats by March.

The race for Top Four remains alive and well as Fat Frank "Surprisingly Clever for a Footballer" Lampard proves you cannot just win things by having a really good midfield so long as you struggle against coaches others refer to as mere "PE Teachers".

Can Ole finally take advantage of Frank's Fatness?
Will Sheffield be exporting steel to Europe next season?
How funny will it be when City's ban is overturned and Spurs finish fifth?

All these and more may or may not be answered in your Premier League March!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Guess we will just have to make do with 110 points as opposed to 113.

Shame. Peasant status confirmed.

Also not to be pedantic but we lost 1-0 at Atletico so technically that picture is wrong :colbert:

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

CyberPingu posted:

Guess we will just have to make do with 110 points as opposed to 113.

Also not to be pedantic but we lost 1-0 at Atletico so technically that picture is wrong :colbert:

Where you getting that extra point from? Also, no it isn't

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
christ, imagine supporting liverpool football club, how could you deal with the shame?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!
Steve Bruce is a genius Rafa is a fraud etc

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1234059555027292160?s=19

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jose posted:

Steve Bruce is a

How's the bacon did you say?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Where you getting that extra point from? Also, no it isn't

Bad maths apparently. I thought max points were 115 for some reason.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Now I've settled down a bit from last night, it's really funny how much we struggle with #19.

There are definitely issues with the squad but gently caress it we're going to win the league anyway. Shame for United fans that they can't win the "only team to take points off Liverpool" trophy this season.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Of all the twists and turns of Global Weirding, finding out the difference between Liverpool as all-conquering heroes sweeping the football world before them and Liverpool as Liverpool in every other premiership-era season is Jordan loving Henderson is the stangest.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Mods, this is bullying!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

EvilHawk posted:

Now I've settled down a bit from last night, it's really funny how much we struggle with #19.

There are definitely issues with the squad but gently caress it we're going to win the league anyway. Shame for United fans that they can't win the "only team to take points off Liverpool" trophy this season.

Nah you're gonna slip up at Bournemouth, Everton and Palace throughout this month to prepare you for a bumming at the Etihad :unsmigghh:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Nah you're gonna slip up at Bournemouth, Everton and Palace throughout this month to prepare you for a bumming at the Etihad :unsmigghh:

I had a look to see if there was any "reasonable" sort of fanfiction that gives a collapse

Best I could do in realms of reality:

Liverpool:
W Bournemouth
L Everton
D Palace
L City
W Villa
L Brighton
D Burnley
L Arsenal
W Newcastle

Which gives 11 more points and I'm struggling to keep a straight face.

Total honesty and accuracy for City in that same period:

W against Arsenal
L away at United
W against Burnley
W against Chelsea
W against Liverpool
W against Southampton
W against Newcastle
W agsinst Brighton
W against Bournemouth
W against Watford
W against Norwich

Which gives 30 more points. You've hosed it.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Asking here because someone might have seen it on twitter what were the last set of results on Feb 29th?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

Asking here because someone might have seen it on twitter what were the last set of results on Feb 29th?

Via Soccerbase the last Premiership matches played on 29th February were in 2004:

Leeds 2 - 2 Liverpool
Portsmouth 1 - 1 Newcastle

e: Checking back a bit further 2004 and 2020 are the only leap days with matches in the Premiership era, the last season before football was invented had a whole Saturday list though:

Chelsea 0 - 3 Sheff Wed

Sheff Utd 0 - 0 QPR

Liverpool 0 - 0 Southampton

Coventry 0 - 0 Man Utd

Oldham 0 - 1 Wimbledon

Crystal Palace 3 - 4 Norwich

Man City 2 - 0 Aston Villa

West Ham 0 - 2 Everton

Leeds 2 - 0 Luton

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Mar 1, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Jose posted:

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Think he meant the last time the PL matches were played on the 29th Feb.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

You settle down about as well as Michael J. Fox you dork

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Think he meant the last time the PL matches were played on the 29th Feb.

This splashed on Sky's website last night 0.01s after the final whistle lol

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 1, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EvilHawk posted:

Shame for United fans that they can't win the "only team to take points off Liverpool" trophy this season.

Yeah we're all really upset about that

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bundy posted:

This splashed on Sky's website last night 0.01s after the final whistle lol

Maybe it's just me but I wish they would phrase it as "Watford hand Liverpool shock first loss of season."

Feels a bit lovely to Watford. putting the losing team as the first part

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Maybe it's just me but I wish they would phrase it as "Watford hand Liverpool shock first loss of season."

Feels a bit lovely to Watford. putting the losing team as the first part

Liverpool pops a lot more than Watford, it’s all about them clicks.

The real injustice is that Watford were better for 90 minutes than Liverpool, and it’s all about how shocking the win was. Watford had five times as many chances as Liverpool. VVD was the worst player on the pitch for probably the first time in his career

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

Shame for United fans that they can't win the "only team to take points off Liverpool" trophy this season.

Lol. I'm more than happy being one of the other times you dropped a winning streak this season

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 1, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Via Soccerbase the last Premiership matches played on 29th February were in 2004:

Leeds 2 - 2 Liverpool
Portsmouth 1 - 1 Newcastle

e: Checking back a bit further 2004 and 2020 are the only leap days with matches in the Premiership era, the last season before football was invented had a whole Saturday list though:

Chelsea 0 - 3 Sheff Wed

Sheff Utd 0 - 0 QPR

Liverpool 0 - 0 Southampton

Coventry 0 - 0 Man Utd

Oldham 0 - 1 Wimbledon

Crystal Palace 3 - 4 Norwich

Man City 2 - 0 Aston Villa

West Ham 0 - 2 Everton

Leeds 2 - 0 Luton

Ty for doing the research for me and lol that Newcastle drew then too

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
It’s City’s year.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Liverpool pops a lot more than Watford, it’s all about them clicks.

The real injustice is that Watford were better for 90 minutes than Liverpool, and it’s all about how shocking the win was. Watford had five times as many chances as Liverpool. VVD was the worst player on the pitch for probably the first time in his career

Agreed up until the VVD part. He had his worst ever game in a Liverpool shirt but Lovren was farrr worse.

Really a better title would have been "Watford cruise to victory and hand Liverpool their first loss of season"

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Agreed up until the VVD part. He had his worst ever game in a Liverpool shirt but Lovren was farrr worse.

Really a better title would have been "Watford cruise to victory and hand Liverpool their first loss of season"

Lovren is awful but VVD was the primary culprit for both of Sarr’s goals

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah we're all really upset about that

Bundy posted:

Lol. I'm more than happy being one of the other times you dropped a winning streak this season

Lol you both well know that if we had won all the other games you lot would be going "well you didn't beat us :smug:" all over the place.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Lol you both well know that if we had won all the other games you lot would be going "well you didn't beat us :smug:" all over the place.

No, we reserve that for the Arsenal “Invincibles” who didn’t beat United during their unbeaten streak and had the streak ended by United

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Lovren is awful but VVD was the primary culprit for both of Sarr’s goals

Ninpo did a pretty good write up of why this wasn't true and I can't find it now

CyberPingu fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 1, 2020

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Ninpo did a pretty good write up of why this wasn't true and I can't find it now

I’m sure I read it but I can’t recall. Watching replays VVD didn’t close down well enough on the first goal and on the second, which to be fair had some of the most unlikely passes ever, rendered him way out of shape

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

Shrapnig posted:

No, we reserve that for the Arsenal “Invincibles” who didn’t beat United during their unbeaten streak and had the streak ended by United

I'm happy to admit I had a "lol nice United shaped blemish there" chambered for if they did keep the win streak going but unless we ended it next season in the same hilarious manner as the 50 not out shirt wearers got, yeah, Arsenal remain the bestest for schadenfreude on that front. Observe yesterday as the annual Invincibles party happened.

CyberPingu posted:

Nimpo did a pretty good write up of why this wasn't true and I can't find it now

I've still not wanked over rewatched the highlights and seen the second, but for the first, Lovren is stood behind Deeney, hugging him, in a hilarious weight mismatch rendering him completely ineffective as the throw bounces in front of Deeney and clear over the pair of them. Van Dijk tracks and eliminates a runner for the subsequent ball across and Sarr gets the tap in with no covering full back.

For the third, Van Dijk is up the pitch on the left flank involved in build up play when possession is turned over and Watford spring the counter. Van Dijk is done for pace, it happens, but his right sided centre back partner is absolutely loving nowhere to be seen on the cover.

If Van Dijk was proven bad at anything against Watford, it's that he cannot play as two centre backs and also be where world cup finalist Lovren is supposed to be.

It was a bizarre tactical blind spot from Klopp that Pearson seemed to spot straight away. With TAA remaining Absolutely Not A Right Back, having Lovren as the right sided centre back covering TAA's acres of space stuck out like a sore thumb and where most of Watford's joy came from.

Liverpool's tactic when Fabinho plays seems to be that Fabinho sits and the centre backs become a back three with the full backs free to bomb on while Liverpool are in possession and the line pushes forward. In this sort of system, the other centre back should be further back, ready to receive a safety pass or cover if possession is turned over, with the right full back slightly ahead of them to receive the second pass or a switch of play.

When the third is conceded, Lovren is too far up the pitch and fails to turn and recover when Van Dijk gets left for dead. 3-0.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 1, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

EvilHawk posted:

For someone whose team is going to win the Premier League with a massive points gap, you're acting super loving insecure and weird about it.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Bundy posted:

I've still not wanked over rewatched the highlights and seen the second, but for the first, Lovren is stood behind Deeney, hugging him, in a hilarious weight mismatch rendering him completely ineffective as the throw bounces in front of Deeney and clear over the pair of them. Van Dijk tracks and eliminates a runner for the subsequent ball across and Sarr gets the tap in with no covering full back.

For the third, Van Dijk is up the pitch on the left flank involved in build up play when possession is turned over and Watford spring the counter. Van Dijk is done for pace, it happens, but his right sided centre back partner is absolutely loving nowhere to be seen on the cover.

If Van Dijk was proven bad at anything against Watford, it's that he cannot play as two centre backs and also be where world cup finalist Lovren is supposed to be.

It was a bizarre tactical blind spot from Klopp that Pearson seemed to spot straight away. With TAA remaining Absolutely Not A Right Back, having Lovren as the right sided centre back covering TAA's acres of space stuck out like a sore thumb and where most of Watford's joy came from.

Yeah the reason Liverpool fans keep saying that Lovren was worse than van Dijk is because he was constantly having to deal with someone out of position. We were effectively having to play with 3 defenders and just getting outnumbered.

Hopefully it'll never happen again - Klopp should have learned his lesson about Lovren seasons ago but Dejan won't be here next year and we'll all be happier.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah the reason Liverpool fans keep saying that Lovren was worse than van Dijk is because he was constantly having to deal with someone out of position. We were effectively having to play with 3 defenders and just getting outnumbered.

Hopefully it'll never happen again - Klopp should have learned his lesson about Lovren seasons ago but Dejan won't be here next year and we'll all be happier.

Troy Deeney also sucks to play against. He’s strong and physical and really doesn’t care if he eats five fouls backing into one of your weaker centre halfs with a stray elbow. Half a dozen times a season he goes from shitclogger to an actually effective footballer and yesterday was one of those days where he managed both

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

For someone whose team is going to win the Premier League with a massive points gap, you're acting super loving insecure and weird about it.

Say it "all evens out" and they pick up another 11 points or so and City go on a run, they'd "only" win by about 3-6 points, do you think they'd be delighted to have won the first title in 30 years, or be too busy melting down demanding Klopp be sacked for almost bottling it

e: Where's Oliwan? Did he actually slip into a pleasure coma?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Bundy posted:

Say it "all evens out" and they pick up another 11 points or so and City go on a run, they'd "only" win by about 3-6 points, do you think they'd be delighted to have won the first title in 30 years, or be too busy melting down demanding Klopp be sacked for almost bottling it

e: Where's Oliwan? Did he actually slip into a pleasure coma?

Personally I won't care, the invincible thing is done now, I'd like to break City's points record but would rather Klopp rotate more for league games now so that we can focus on the treble.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Personally I won't care, the invincible thing is done now, I'd like to break City's points record but would rather Klopp rotate more for league games now so that we can focus on the treble.

I actually think Klopp is right in that this takes the pressure off. The title is all but won but now the players don’t have to think about record points, unbeaten record, etc. As much as I hate it, the League is won, but now the focus is on other trophies

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

To be clear, I am aware sane fans will be delighted to have won the league/perhaps other trophies, I am making fun of EvilHawk.

It is going to be interesting to see if this is the start of a slump as statistics catch up with you or if Klopp can get everyone's heads past these last three difficult games for the other competitions.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is it bust time for liverpool?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

I actually think Klopp is right in that this takes the pressure off. The title is all but won but now the players don’t have to think about record points, unbeaten record, etc. As much as I hate it, the League is won, but now the focus is on other trophies

Also means he doesn't have to run the main team out in the league every week. Chances are we are going to win at least 4 out of the next 6 which wraps everything up. He can give other players not named Lovren a chance