Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I dunno why people are assuming characters whose old niche seems taken must be gone forever; the series has been pretty good about reusing characters in different ways. What we have seen is a couple of outright replacements for old characters including the fishing and bug catching contests, but I'd imagine they'll find new niches for the main New Leaf characters if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Do we know if you can hang decorations/custom designs on the walls of cliffs? Would really like to have various weird scrawlings scattered around on the rocks.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Bring back Farley from OG Animal Crossing

https://twitter.com/starteas/status/1233587223863234567?s=19

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

"Shake another peach tree and see what happens."

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/Karmama_/status/1233554730724532225

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Electric Phantasm posted:

You can see a tiny part of him in the direct

He's right up there in the top right corner.

Why is that Arwing labeled "Dad"? lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I ordered these stickers ages ago and they took long enough that I completely forgot where or why I bought em, but all of a sudden they're relevant again...sorta wondering how a switch would fare with stickers plastered to it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
why is that villager watering a flower instead of nabbing that juicy beetle?!

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ8SmRoDrGE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

mutata posted:

Why is that Arwing labeled "Dad"? lol

This part was showing off how you shared your island with 8 profiles on your Switch and that's Dad's profile and profile picture.

Grampa...

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Doctor Reynolds posted:

You just played a single note. It was kind of lame. Also, your avatar made me realize the Night in the Woods cast would make excellent Animal Crossing characters, at least aesthetically.

Hell yeah they would. Now I want to see if I can make a villager catchphrase "Gregg rulz ok"

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

A man of taste. Horny on main.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

This part was showing off how you shared your island with 8 profiles on your Switch and that's Dad's profile and profile picture.

Grampa...

Never too old for :lewd:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

For the last time, Grandpa, Callie is not your "squid waifu". She's not even real!

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Captain Hygiene posted:

I ordered these stickers ages ago and they took long enough that I completely forgot where or why I bought em, but all of a sudden they're relevant again...sorta wondering how a switch would fare with stickers plastered to it.

I imagine it'll be fine with regular stickers.

I put a skin from decalgirl.com on my Switch Lite. I put a skin on everything.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/Kekeflipnote/status/1233808210659880960?s=20

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

GoodBee posted:

I imagine it'll be fine with regular stickers.

I put a skin from decalgirl.com on my Switch Lite. I put a skin on everything.

:tipshat:

I pulled New Leaf out for a bit just to remind myself what it's like, and I sure hope New Horizons gives you more than eight characters for your town name. It's tough to come up with a good name when burg/ville/etc use up half the letters or more :(

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Hygiene posted:

They're probably from RedBubble.
Also i have my Switch dock covered in stickers with no issues.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Not fat shaming I promise but holy poo poo look at this plump gently caress

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1233842781380075521

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
https://twitter.com/guxpito/status/1233457496376979457?s=20

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
What the gently caress that looks like a Quest 64 NPC that time forgot or something

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

In GameXplain's latest (obscured) video, around the 15:30 mark, they walked in on a villager crafting something at their workbench. And they actually brought it up and talked about it when talked to. What the gently caress

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Color Printer posted:

In GameXplain's latest (obscured) video, around the 15:30 mark, they walked in on a villager crafting something at their workbench. And they actually brought it up and talked about it when talked to. What the gently caress

oh poo poo, what if there's a new thing where if you're away for long enough the other villagers start to change the island on their own?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Color Printer posted:

Okay so it turns out that's another way to get more recipes, neat

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Is there some website that will convert images into AC pixels for the artistically challenged amongst us (me), so we can make cool land art or shirts, etc?

Gluteus Maximus
Oct 20, 2007

OH LAWD, HE COMIN'
TO TOWN

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Is there some website that will convert images into AC pixels for the artistically challenged amongst us (me), so we can make cool land art or shirts, etc?

I've been using this to make my own patterns. It'll even generate a QR code for you once you're done!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Ima beeline for that app.

20 days left!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Actually pretty smart that Mr Resetti is implied to be in charge of the rescue service when you think about it; the point is to rescue the player when they've gotten stuck in a spot they can't get out of, a situation where a player might otherwise reset the game, or at least have to quit out to start back at their home. This way he can be more pro-active in ensuring players don't wantonly reset the game, and also take it into his own hands as he resets their position.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gluteus Maximus posted:

I've been using this to make my own patterns. It'll even generate a QR code for you once you're done!

This should be in the OP because it's useful.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Guess what? It is!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This video shows off the top down camera a lot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUC_PedK-OU

Also shows the clothing menu

So if you add in a face accessory and a backpack that still leaves you with two blank slots hmm...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gloves probably.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Maybe neckwear?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1234197908670558209

https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1234159039413719042

https://twitter.com/ACPocketNews/status/1234132212955701250

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
holy poo poo ball gowns

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'd forgotten that the in-game clock was just your system time. I remember being aggravated in New Leaf that I'd mostly play at night, so I'd offset the clock just so shops would be open, but then that would also be annoying when I played at more normal times on a weekend. I wonder how that'll go for the new one, repeated fiddling sound with the system time seems less of a big deal on 3DS rather than Switch.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Just a little disappointing the town tune maker still hasn't been changed or improved even slightly

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Played the PAX demo. Game looks real good!

Holy poo poo at the museum! It feels like an honest to god real world museum / aquarium / etc. It even has a tree of life diagram on the floors that eventually terminate in one room, at silhouettes of a bunch of the villager species. Super cool.

Rescue service is definitely Resetti.

Ridiculous amount of clothing on display. One of my demo-mates dressed as a piece of sushi with an anime helmet...I had a styling strawberry beret :cool: When you buy new clothes, if you lack inventory space Mabel ships the old items to your home.

You can put the Statue of Liberty in your pocket.

Switching between tools is a little slow and defaults to just cycling through all of them, though I think this was mostly a limitation of bring a follower for much of the demo.

Tempted to try and get a special edition console but guessing those just sell out within minutes anytime they become available…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Color Printer posted:

Just a little disappointing the town tune maker still hasn't been changed or improved even slightly

I was thinking about this the other day. I too want the capability to go ham on making more complex tunes for my town - but I've got some musical background and have a decent ear for it. If I were to wager a guess (and this is entirely conjecture) it's remained the same two-bar setup for two reasons:

1) Accessibility. If you haven't spent time learning how to music, being presented with notes and bars can be downright daunting - and the more space there is for it, the more rope you're given to hang yourself. The town tune maker is presented like a toddler's toy, with funny animals and bright colors. Keeping it to two bars and in C Major means it's simple to grok and hard to get overwhelmed. (It's worth mentioning they've allowed for greater complexity in other places over the years, like patterns, but music in a visual medium brings with it an automatic level of abstraction that's absent in the concept of giving you more space to draw.)

2) Functionality. This applies mainly to length, I reckon. Considering how many places the town tune is used, making it any longer than it is in past games would start to get weird, as your elaborate eight-bar symphony spooled out over every villager's words and every door jingle. (Also it would end up harder for DJ KK to remix.)

I've already been screwing around in New Leaf trying to suss out the right town tune for my island, of course. Gotta have the perfect two bars that won't drive me nuts for a while. :v: