Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
One of the things I remember reading somewhere was that it was hinted in one of the books that Lucius' resurrection ability might be tied to the armor he wears, or that if he died while in the Webway, the resurrection wouldn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

What was your plan for the warp Smith? If you can fit a Dark Apostle in it's absolutely worth it. I understand you're probably working with limited models and stuff, but if you're looking to make purchases, obliterators shine in EC. I have a Levithan that mops poo poo up as well. Grav flux bombards erase land raiders in one round of shooting, and it's great for hordes too. Toss a butcher cannon on there for good measure and you've got a decent ranged weapons platform. Not to mention people are selling them off right now in light of recent space marine balancing.

Look into Sonic Dreadnoughts as well. You can use a strategem and have them shoot twice since they're technically a Helbrute, which are also pretty fun.

I know Horus Heresy EC are more melee oriented, but unless you want to slap some Slaanesh demons in there, or run a bunch warp talons/possessed, I usually dedicate to shooting since noise marines/oblits/havocs are so good, and just make a fun blender detachment for slapping.

The Warpsmith is there for the Venomcrawlers I plan on adding to the army as soon they get in and can be painted. Besides he could be useful with any Dreadnoughts I manage to acquire.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

The Warpsmith is there for the Venomcrawlers I plan on adding to the army as soon they get in and can be painted. Besides he could be useful with any Dreadnoughts I manage to acquire.

Oh that makes more sense for him to be in the list then. I just noticed him listed there and didn't really see a purpose for him other than the transports.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Warp talons get Warpflame Strike so they don't take overwatch in the same turn they arrive on the table. You'd be better off giving the lord Intoxicating Elixer to bump him to S5so he can wound T4 on 3's.

True but 5 warp talons can't shut down everything - also variance just in case. If I'm making an EC lord killy I'm taking the Rainment - rerolling all hits, wounds and charges is too good.

Also seconded for Obliterators. So good in an EC army.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Selling some deathguard if anyone is interested.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915685&perpage=40

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
Emperor's Children waste nothing

http://imgur.com/gallery/81pd6JQ

Rojo_Sombrero fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 1, 2020

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I know that crisis teams are overcosted in 8th edition, but what's a decent load-out for some casual games? Triple flamers get recommended a lot, but how's triple plasma or triple burst cannons? Are any of the support systems useful on them?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Who the gently caress decided 30k needed a unit called Interemptors

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

Who the gently caress decided 30k needed a unit called Interemptors

Lol that’s excellent, I love it

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/03/01/sunday-preview-star-lizards-and-start-collecting-boxes/

Oh wow. This is not something I ever expected GW to do.

Aaaaaaaand of course they had to hide it behind store events. :sigh:
Stop hiding all the cool models that way. :cry:

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 1, 2020

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
With Dragon's Rest and other sources putting out amazing 3D printed zones mortalis and blackstone terrain, is there a specific 3D printer people here recommend to get good results? Or is it better just to use a third party printing service?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

haakman posted:

True but 5 warp talons can't shut down everything - also variance just in case. If I'm making an EC lord killy I'm taking the Rainment - rerolling all hits, wounds and charges is too good.

Also seconded for Obliterators. So good in an EC army.

The raiment and armor of abhorrence are so good! My pure EC list uses both, one on the DP, the other on the lord. I know the flawless host fuckery is all chance, but it's just too drat fun for me to give it up yet. Plus, the flawless host paint scheme is really easy, and fast to do.

I really hope we can finally get a codex like the other 3 can factions have sometime this year, but I doubt it. :( I never understood why this was the case.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/03/01/sunday-preview-star-lizards-and-start-collecting-boxes/

This is my favorite mini GW has made in years, and you can only get it from a freaking new store opening? Oh gently caress I'm going to have to pay like 50+ dollars for this on ebay aren't I?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

PinheadSlim posted:

This is my favorite mini GW has made in years, and you can only get it from a freaking new store opening? Oh gently caress I'm going to have to pay like 50+ dollars for this on ebay aren't I?

The anniversary models are whatever, I can grab them like 3-4x a year, but gating great models like this behind new store openings is just :psyduck:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It's even more annoying when you live in a country with only two stores and as far as I've heard no plans to open more of them because we only really have three major cities and two of them already have stores. Of course they wouldn't even think of extending it to independent retailers, of which we have plenty of.
I feel the same frustration with some of the AoS ones too because all the rad female stormcast are just helluva gated.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
just played a team game with my GK Paladins and I'm not used to the idea of a space marine terminator unit being actually kinda good.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Der Waffle Mous posted:

just played a team game with my GK Paladins and I'm not used to the idea of a space marine terminator unit being actually kinda good.

The cafe I play at did a tournament last weekend, and the top four were 1) Grey Knights Double Paladins 2) Eldar Flyer spam (with wraith Knight?!) 3) Eldar warlock conclave on bikes, and 4) Grey Knight Double Paladins

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
New GW.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Grey knights should only have tides on turn 1 haha.

e: well, certainly it should be; turn 1: tide of being sneaky. Turn 2: tide of smite spam. Turn 3: tide of psy bolters. Turn 4: tide of swords and halberd. Ehhhh.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Mar 1, 2020

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Cooked Auto posted:

The similarity to this, down to the tyranid throphy, makes me think that someone at GW might have been feeling inspired.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Eldar are always secretly op but their players have the good sense to stay silent.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Eldar are kinda like T''''''''''''au in that they have a couple of really strong options which are incredibly unfun to play against. Out of those, haywire and shining spears spam is the fun one :wtc:

My 1 wraith seer, 3 wraith lords and 20 wraithguard army is certainly not secretly, or overtly, op - even if they are by far the coolest eldar units. It just kinda sucks and gets shot of the board, or murdered in melee. It's fun to play as a 'very friendly game' list though.

I honestly think that they could give all the wraith construct units a 5+ fnp and they'd still barely see play, and certainly wouldn't be OP in any way at the same cost. Even if you went completely nuts and gave them a inbuilt 4+ invuln, they'd just be an a lot more expensive, somewhat tankier, harlequin fusion/kiss troupe, with a lot worse mobility and a lot less melee ability.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Slashrat posted:

The similarity to this, down to the tyranid throphy, makes me think that someone at GW might have been feeling inspired.

Ah yes, the 3rd party gender swap Sly Marbo knock-off is where GW got the idea for this new model that shares such common traits as "is a woman", "jungle fighter", and "trophy kill".

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Giving them big stompy boots was clearly the correct decision. Finally, after three years, I have a visual language for Reivers that fits what I'm trying to establish for my emomarines. Maybe in another three I'll have one for Aggressors. (I mean, okay, reverse-grip tacticool chainsword guy is never gonna get less goofy, but the rest are good.)

I think they're as close to assembled as they can be until I get that shipment of bitz to let me outfit them all with holsters for their pistols.

If I have one regret on these guys it's that I kinda wish I'd experimented with shaving off the rim above their kneepads.

EDIT: Bonus theme song.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 2, 2020

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
What really bugs me about Eldar is that their start collecting box has only two actual living Eldar in it.

It's such a weird selection.

Oh look, someone wants to start collecting space elves. They've probably seen them in their sleek elven like armour and their cool hover tanks and flyers.

What should we give them? Wraithguard, a wraithlord, a farseer, and a war walker (I always forget this unit actually exists).

Wraith units are cool and the back story is good but why would you start collecting there instead of something like a farseer, 5 dire avengers, and a tank of some sort?

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
A start collecting box should, ideally, hook the buyer and have them commit to building an army. A solid way to do that would be to load the box with the coolest stuff and wraith units are the coolest Eldar units. I will accept no argument to the contrary.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Kitchner posted:

Wraith units are cool and the back story is good but why would you start collecting there instead of something like a farseer, 5 dire avengers, and a tank of some sort?

I see what you did there

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

Ah yes, the 3rd party gender swap Sly Marbo knock-off is where GW got the idea for this new model that shares such common traits as "is a woman", "jungle fighter", and "trophy kill".

Notable original character "Sly Marbo" lol.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So, hypothetically, say somebody got their tax return and bought a Start Collecting Genestealers Cult box and maybe a Jackal Alphus. How would this most of foolish of creatures proceed to a thousand points?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Kitchner posted:

What really bugs me about Eldar is that their start collecting box has only two actual living Eldar in it.

It's such a weird selection.

Oh look, someone wants to start collecting space elves. They've probably seen them in their sleek elven like armour and their cool hover tanks and flyers.

What should we give them? Wraithguard, a wraithlord, a farseer, and a war walker (I always forget this unit actually exists).

Their start collecting is absolutely nuts and there's no coherent explanation for it except I guess they didn't want people's first experience with Eldar to be the utterly trash Guardian/Dire Avengers kits. It's the highest value by RRP in a box, and the best savings in terms of box cost to individual items, but it is absolutely not a good way to start collecting Eldar. At least the Space Marines/Space Wolves/BA ones have the questionable excuse that they were pre-Primaris

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Its way better than the original Start Collecting: Eldar, which was like 5 bikes and nothing else.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The Bee posted:

Its way better than the original Start Collecting: Eldar, which was like 5 bikes and nothing else.

Four bikes and a Falcon. Your point's still valid.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I think what bugs me the most is the war walker.

Like, farseer is an obvious choice, and OK fine like a kit that is mostly hover bikes there are lots of hard hitting bike focused craftworld. Even the wraithguard and wrairhlord are fairly iconic.

A war walker though? Really? I genuinely don't think I've ever even played against someone using one.

I would be fascinated to hear the logic behind how they picked the Start Collecting box sets. The Goonhammer article comparing them all in terms of price savings and points and what you get was pretty good, and it just goes to show how they can be a bit of a trap.

Like sure if you buy the T'au Start Collecting set you do save money, but you have ten fire warriors which are good, 3 crisis suits that are bad (caveat: maybe not anymore with FSE), an Ethereal which is OK but you don't need more than one, and then a bunch of drones (which is good).

Come to think of it, maybes it's not too bad if you want to go FSE as long as you sell the Ethereals or I dunno, have your crisis suits stomping them into the dirt in their bases while proclaiming their freedom or something. 30 Fire Warriors, 9 Crisis Suits, and 24 Drones for £180 isn't too bad. Buy yourself a couple of T'au commanders and you're basically there.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Kitchner posted:

A war walker though? Really? I genuinely don't think I've ever even played against someone using one.

In 3rd edition they got use. They were a cheap platform that could take two of the star cannons, which murdered space marines by the pile.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kitchner posted:

Like, farseer is an obvious choice, and OK fine like a kit that is mostly hover bikes there are lots of hard hitting bike focused craftworld. Even the wraithguard and wrairhlord are fairly iconic.

War Walkers are the cheapest way to mount bright lances or missile launchers and they have insane synergy with Expert Crafters' rerolls because each one is its own unit. They're good units.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Kitchner posted:

I would be fascinated to hear the logic behind how they picked the Start Collecting box sets. The Goonhammer article comparing them all in terms of price savings and points and what you get was pretty good, and it just goes to show how they can be a bit of a trap.

Like sure if you buy the T'au Start Collecting set you do save money, but you have ten fire warriors which are good, 3 crisis suits that are bad (caveat: maybe not anymore with FSE), an Ethereal which is OK but you don't need more than one, and then a bunch of drones (which is good).

Come to think of it, maybes it's not too bad if you want to go FSE as long as you sell the Ethereals or I dunno, have your crisis suits stomping them into the dirt in their bases while proclaiming their freedom or something. 30 Fire Warriors, 9 Crisis Suits, and 24 Drones for £180 isn't too bad. Buy yourself a couple of T'au commanders and you're basically there.

I know in 7th edition they were based around specific formations. Then from the looks of it, 8th edition tried to standardize the model count and make sure each selection had at least a troop, an HQ, and a centerpiece. Some also try to have a midrange unit or sets of units to flesh it out, which probably explains the War Walker that's just kinda tossed in, but not all do (ex, Tyranids, which just have the HQ, the centerpiece, and the troops).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's kind of weird to hear that about walkers, because there was a period they were crazy popular because you could double up weapons without them becoming twin-linked (which was the normal pattern). So you could put on double lances or star cannons, or give a whole squad scatter lasers and drop a shocking amount of anti-infantry fire.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Dawgstar posted:

So, hypothetically, say somebody got their tax return and bought a Start Collecting Genestealers Cult box and maybe a Jackal Alphus. How would this most of foolish of creatures proceed to a thousand points?

Cult is in kinda a weird place currently, because it had some big nerfs and unlike almost everyone else their recent update book was super lovely. They can definitely still win, but I personally think a lot of it has to do with them being super complicated and opponents who don’t know what they can do - and the relatively simple counters to them.

It is probably one of most expensive armies to start, as most builds use a poo poo ton of troops, which are quite pricy unfortunately. You basically want at least a brigades/2x battalion, worth of troops/HQs and you’ll probably want some of the jackal bikes too for democharge purposes. Right now, stay away from aberrants which were points nerfed into the ground, and were honestly already kinda bad, but most other stuff is pretty good/useful. Someone was even trying to make a competitive list with a bunch of ridge runners very recently. I still think they’re kinda bad, and it’s mainly a good list because people don’t know what it does, but they do look cool as hell.

Because GSC relies so heavily on synergies between various characters and units, you’ll need a bunch of those too. For HQs you’ll definitely want a primus and probably a magus and a patriarch, since you already have the iconward from the start collecting. They come together in a kinda expensive broodcoven box. The primus is a pretty easy kitbash from an acolyte box though, and the female magus model is a lot cooler. For special characters you 100% want the clamuvus and almost certainly the nexos. The kelermorph is cool as gently caress and really good too, sanctus (anti-psyker sniper) is also pretty good.

For the troops you have some choices to make. Since you have the alphus, it makes sense to go with a bunch of neophytes with lotsa mining weapons. The single good thing that came out of their recent book, was a bonus to mining weapons. So you might want some of those. Acolyte hybrids are point for point some of the best troops in the game, current my lists mainly uses acolytes and it uses roughly 45-50 of them. 4 x 5 man squads, 1 with 15 (5 demo charges) man and another 15 man (6 rock saws). They come in kinda pricy boxes of 5 :negative: in the end you might want to go 50/50 on neophytes/acolytes, to have some variety and such.

E: a good thing about GSC is that they can ally with tyranids and imperial guard. Unfortunately the rules they have with guard was kinda beta testing anti-soup rules at the time, which never went anywhere else, so as the only faction they get weird restrictions on those things (half cp for example). Most commonly I’ve seen tyranid hive guard detachments for non-los artillery (kinda lame imo) or tyranid genestealer detachment. For whatever unfathomable, classic games-workshop idiocy, reason genestealer cult genestealers (including the loving patriarch) don’t get cult bonuses, so they’re better run in tyranid detachments.

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 2, 2020

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Strobe posted:

War Walkers are the cheapest way to mount bright lances or missile launchers and they have insane synergy with Expert Crafters' rerolls because each one is its own unit. They're good units.

As I've watched off-and-on, War Walkers seem to flip flop between "absolutely pointless" and "direly over-efficient weapons platform" with little in between.

They do suffer from just not feeling very eldar-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Nothing says elegant space elf like gangling goat legs with just a head on top.

I got into Eldar recently and got lucky with finding a Wake the Dead box, which is an infinitely better starting point than their SC. Way cheaper too if you sell the Primaris half.