Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Zushio posted:

I thought the random Borg yelling "Hey Locutus" as they ran toward Soji was amazing.

especially since it was such an obvious ADR thrown in at the last minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hugh: "It'll take a few minutes for the room to power down."
Elnor: "I won't need a few minutes."
Hugh: "wtf you idiot that doesn't mean the same thing"

Also I was hoping all of Narek's secret names were also Narek, to make him Maximum Narek.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

Hugh: "It'll take a few minutes for the room to power down."
Elnor: "I won't need a few minutes."
Hugh: "wtf you idiot that doesn't mean the same thing"

Also I was hoping all of Narek's secret names were also Narek, to make him Maximum Narek.

NeReK

nE'Rek

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'd buy that the producers want a show that anyone can start watching and doesn't rely on established knowledge of Star Trek continuity, except for each episode being absolutely crammed full of call backs to previous trek, to the extent of bringing back characters from decades ago that Picard never interacted with.

They spent three episodes clicking their heels on Earth, a single scene that says 'twenty years ago the Dominion war almost cost us everything' and actually putting some colour on what's happened to the Federation would not have been a problem.

e: and I don't mean do a full future-history info drop, the show just need to do more work to explain why android terrorists leads to gently caress-the-romulans.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 1, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The thing I kinda miss most about set design from TNG is actually the big infinite bevel-free touchscreen panels that cover whatever they want without technical constraint and Picard's ships just have... basically 21st century inset LCD screens.

I miss the panels. They could even animate them properly these days. I know they want La Sirena to be a bit more primitive but glass bezel-free touchpanels as common aren't exactly super high tech as a concept and touchscreens that look like they're from today feels backwards. Hell, it'd even work if they just set the LCD inside a black glass rim so it looked like the display could continue out if it wanted to.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 1, 2020

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

We haven't seen a federation vessel interior yet on Picard have we?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Duckula posted:

We haven't seen a federation vessel interior yet on Picard have we?

I don't think so? Closest is Utopia Planitia or Starfleet Archives.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Maybe there aren’t Federation Starships anymore, maybe they do all their work with unmaned probes.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ok, testing out a personal theory.

Rios is a hologram that was allowed to develop like everyone's favorite EMH from Voyager.

He develops as is "natural", but also finds that it's easier for him to function when he comparmentalizes various parts of his personality into separate personalities. Which is why we see the Psychologist (superego) and "The Bear" (ID) only temporarily.

His main personality (ego) is the one he allows everyone to see.

I can't recall if we've seen him outside the ship yet, but mobile holoemitters are likely easy enough to come across, so that allows him to maintain the cover as a cargo pilot. Especially considering the general attitude towards synthetic intelligence in the time of the show.

Also makes it extra fun when Dr. Jurati, working under duress as an agent for the anti-synth Romulans, falls into his arms after betraying and finishing off her mentor and former lover.

"Full of poo poo", or "likely"? I leave this theory in your caring hands.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SpeakSlow posted:

Ok, testing out a personal theory.

Rios is a hologram that was allowed to develop like everyone's favorite EMH from Voyager.

He develops as is "natural", but also finds that it's easier for him to function when he comparmentalizes various parts of his personality into separate personalities. Which is why we see the Psychologist (superego) and "The Bear" (ID) only temporarily.

His main personality (ego) is the one he allows everyone to see.

I can't recall if we've seen him outside the ship yet, but mobile holoemitters are likely easy enough to come across, so that allows him to maintain the cover as a cargo pilot. Especially considering the general attitude towards synthetic intelligence in the time of the show.

Also makes it extra fun when Dr. Jurati, working under duress as an agent for the anti-synth Romulans, falls into his arms after betraying and finishing off her mentor and former lover.

"Full of poo poo", or "likely"? I leave this theory in your caring hands.
I mean I think he's a hologram, too, but what's with the Freudian nonsense

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Rios beams down to Freecloud.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, in the latest episode, when they realise Soji is moving inhumanly fast Picard realises she's 'activated'. That's what the romulans said about Dhaj when her self-defense mode kicked in, but how did Picard know that that was a thing?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Epicurius posted:

Rios beams down to Freecloud.

Well he had a mobile emitter

No wait, he is a flesh and blood hologram

That poo poo's all the rage now

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Why would they make Rios be a secret hologram lol

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

I mean I think he's a hologram, too, but what's with the Freudian nonsense

Shorthand that presented itself while I was standing outside, coffee tumbler tucked under one arm, smoke in the other hand.

Basically: we've only seen three so far, and those three were so wildly different the classification kind of dropped into place.

Hacky af, but again it's a working theory I wanted challenged. Hence the ham-handed puppetmaster bit for my closing sentence.

Back to the compartmentalization into different personalities/aspects of personality. Does that make sense outside of the objectionable shorthand?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I hope Elnor ends up grabbing Hugh on his way out and he goes with them.

Sadly if that were the case he'd probably be in the main cast.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

Explained the reasoning. I can separate it out if you prefer.

EDIT: I think i get your point now and it deserves elaboration.

From my understanding, the overlying plot device for Picard involves the synth attack on Mars, Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards and the Romulan rescue floatilla. No whys were ever given, so the natural reaction would be isolationism due to the crippling nature of the attack.

Holograms are synthetic life, so would easily fall under that point of suspicion and fear.

Working on another theory too about the hubris of unfettered idealism and the sacrifices that need to be made in the background to keep that idealism alive. Everyone around Picard seems to either be directly affected by catering to that idealism, suffering from the fallout (a hologram/synth in hiding) or a pure, unquestioning weapon to be wielded by the idealism.

Picard's reaction after the drugged out call is what gave me that.

So, to directly answer your question, a hologram pilot fits the theme perfectly.

SpeakSlow fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 1, 2020

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I mean it would make all the holograms looking like him make sense.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Kazy posted:

Or he just has a weird sense of humor.

The other "He's not a hologram" point is that he's a former Star Fleet officer who was an XO of a starship, and then resigned his commission after his captain was killed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
But what if they all died and he's just a hologram recreation.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SpeakSlow posted:

Explained the reasoning. I can separate it out if you prefer.

Did you? Can you explain it again because all i got out of your post is that 'the different holograms have different personalities'. Why would either the real world writers or any in-universe person or faction would want to have a secret holo Han Solo Outrageous Okona running a smuggler ship?

Also why would the galaxy's foremost expert in articifical intelligence not realise he's a hologram, to the point that she sleeps with him?

Kazy posted:

Would it? Surely doing weird stuff like that with the holograms would draw more attention to secret-hologram Rios.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cojawfee posted:

But what if they all died and he's just a hologram recreation.

Was there a radiation leak from an improperly repaired drive plate?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

marktheando posted:

Maybe he is a secret merman?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

How do you give a hologram benzos

then again it would have been a clever solution to 'why he doesn't smell like lying' that wasn't benzos

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fair point. Have edited my original response to you in retrospect

quote:

Also why would the galaxy's foremost expert in articifical intelligence not realise he's a hologram, to the point that she sleeps with him?

As we saw in the previous episode, Dr. Jurati has been fully compromised. Compromised people are reactionary, and that type of behavior never leads to measured thought.

So, yeah. If she was what she seemed when we met her, she would have likely sniffed it out in a second.

Good point. Thank you.

quote:

Would it? Surely doing weird stuff like that with the holograms would draw more attention to secret-hologram Rios.

With the Federation going all-in against fully functional AI, I'm willing to bet that no one would blink twice at the over-simplified nature of those individual aspects we've seen.

And why would they look like him? I dunno, ask Barclay why his sex puppets all looked like the Enterprise-D command crew. Different strokes, etc.

Thank you again for the challenge.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

SpeakSlow posted:

Fair point. Have edited my original response to you in retrospect

As we saw in the previous episode, Dr. Jurati has been fully compromised. Compromised people are reactionary, and that type of behavior never leads to measured thought.

So, yeah. If she was what she seemed when we met her, she would have likely sniffed it out in a second.

Good point. Thank you.

With the Federation going all-in against fully functional AI, I'm willing to bet that no one would blink twice at the over-simplified nature of those individual aspects we've seen.

And why would they look like him? I dunno, ask Barclay why his sex puppets all looked like the Enterprise-D command crew. Different strokes, etc.

Thank you again for the challenge.

I think this theory requires too many unsupported leaps and also mobile emitter technology we haven't seen outside of Voyager future tech which is probably banned by those time agents from the Tribbles DS9 episode. Also the person operating the transporter (wasn't it Agnes?) would have noticed they were transporting a mobile emitter instead of a person.

Also-

ashpanash posted:

How do you give a hologram benzos

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I mean, maybe they're compu-benzos, I dunno

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

marktheando posted:

I think this theory requires too many unsupported leaps and also mobile emitter technology we haven't seen outside of Voyager future tech which is probably banned by those time agents from the Tribbles DS9 episode. Also the person operating the transporter (wasn't it Agnes?) would have noticed they were transporting a mobile emitter instead of a person.

Great points. The time agents bit seems to be a leap of the same kind, but the transporter thing would certainly be a give-away. Could attempt to havdwave it away as "well, he's technically part of the ship and could show her any sensor readings he wanted", but that falls under the unsuoported leaps, so I'll leave it at that.

Space Drugs posted:

Even better point. I got nothin.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

What if takes a huge rip of the snake leaf vape Picard is the synth and he's the one being tested????

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
It's obvious the ship is a Decepticon working for the Romulans, using Rios as a man-machine interface. :cmon:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ok obviously it doesn't seem like he's a hologram anymore, but I really did suspect that intriguing twist in the first couple episodes he was in.

Synthetic life theme and all that

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What if takes a huge rip of the snake leaf vape Picard is the synth and he's the one being tested????

Data 'saving Picard's life' in Nemesis was actually him beaming over the replacement synth Picard he had secretly made. Real Picard died on Shinzon's ship.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
Didn't Raffi give him the space benzos? She'd be the character to know he wasn't a real boy anyhow, so that seems to me the least significant counter. And they made painfully clear Jurati is ignorant of transporters and how to use them, so no, she wouldn't be able to understand the panel saying "this baby is light", a thing transporter controls apparently do.

I hope he is a hologram because that would be dumb and the writers using one of the oldest tropes in modern fiction would be perfectly consistent.
Also then maybe Picardo shows up and this show does something decent and good for once. Like he's leading a resistance cell where everyone is Picardo with different headbands and torn sleeves and smoking every variety of inhalant. And then Andy Dick is there and no one really enjoys it but they get him off screen and we all clap and cheer because it was a reference. And of course they all sing the entire time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, are we just assuming that Jurati knew how to delete the medical logs or whatever? Because she didn't even know how to operate the transporter, and that seems like one of the simpler things to do, especially since they had a transporter beacon.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Also, are we just assuming that Jurati knew how to delete the medical logs or whatever? Because she didn't even know how to operate the transporter, and that seems like one of the simpler things to do, especially since they had a transporter beacon.

The medical stuff was in the form of an AI, which she's pretty experienced with.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MikeJF posted:

The medical stuff was in the form of an AI, which she's pretty experienced with.

I fully expect a scene where all the AI help her take over the ship.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Knowing how to create an AI doesn't give her the ability to override file permissions to rewrite it or access logs.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Knowing how to create an AI doesn't give her the ability to override file permissions to rewrite it or access logs.

Pretty sure to gently caress up an AI you just need to confuse it with a paradox or two.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Giggs posted:

Didn't Raffi give him the space benzos? She'd be the character to know he wasn't a real boy anyhow, so that seems to me the least significant counter. And they made painfully clear Jurati is ignorant of transporters and how to use them, so no, she wouldn't be able to understand the panel saying "this baby is light", a thing transporter controls apparently do.

I hope he is a hologram because that would be dumb and the writers using one of the oldest tropes in modern fiction would be perfectly consistent.
Also then maybe Picardo shows up and this show does something decent and good for once. Like he's leading a resistance cell where everyone is Picardo with different headbands and torn sleeves and smoking every variety of inhalant. And then Andy Dick is there and no one really enjoys it but they get him off screen and we all clap and cheer because it was a reference. And of course they all sing the entire time.

Yes initially it did seem that Jurati was nervous and preoccupied because she didn't know how to work transporters. But later on it's revealed she was acting that way because she's the mole and she would have to kill Maddox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

marktheando posted:

Pretty sure to gently caress up an AI you just need to confuse it with a paradox or two.

"This statement is false"

"HERE ARE ALL THE MEDICAL LOGS, PLEASE KILL MADDOX"